Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MSSR ★ Modular Snap System Runtime Plugin

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #16
    Originally posted by Jade391 View Post
    Great feature. Can't wait for this to come out. When can I buy it at the market place?
    I'm working on it right now. I will post updates here, you can subscribe to this thread.
    Modular Japanese HouseScaffold System
    Snap Plugin for EditorSnap Plugin for Games
    TwitterBlogYoutubeitch.io

    Comment


      #17
      Preparing MSSR Plugin for the Marketplace. Did some code cleaning and commenting. This is the BP API so far, pretty small.

      Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	60
Size:	145.6 KB
ID:	1617797
      Modular Japanese HouseScaffold System
      Snap Plugin for EditorSnap Plugin for Games
      TwitterBlogYoutubeitch.io

      Comment


        #18
        I've been looking for this type of plugin for a long time so I'm really excited for the release.

        Can this be used for VR projects as well or would that take some modification?

        Comment


          #19

          Some more progress https://twitter.com/games_inu/status...97682415558659


          Originally posted by WOLFGANGTHOR View Post
          I've been looking for this type of plugin for a long time so I'm really excited for the release.

          Can this be used for VR projects as well or would that take some modification?
          Thanks! I think it can work in VR, my problem is that I don't have any VR myself so I can't tell for sure. If I understand correctly how the VR work, you have a component representing your hand and you move objects with it, right? In that case it's not different from holding the object with a physics handle, so I think it will work alright. Is there any VR controls emulator you can use with keyboard and mouse?
          Modular Japanese HouseScaffold System
          Snap Plugin for EditorSnap Plugin for Games
          TwitterBlogYoutubeitch.io

          Comment


            #20
            Originally posted by scha View Post
            Some more progress https://twitter.com/games_inu/status...97682415558659




            Thanks! I think it can work in VR, my problem is that I don't have any VR myself so I can't tell for sure. If I understand correctly how the VR work, you have a component representing your hand and you move objects with it, right? In that case it's not different from holding the object with a physics handle, so I think it will work alright. Is there any VR controls emulator you can use with keyboard and mouse?
            With VR it basically just attaches the actor you pick up to the controller component and then detaches the actor when let go, so I would assume it should work no problem.

            As far as emulating VR with mouse and keyboard, I don't think there are any tools to do that.

            I'll let you know how it functions in VR once I can get my hands on the plugin

            Comment


              #21
              Smooth snap between moving physical actors.

              Modular Japanese HouseScaffold System
              Snap Plugin for EditorSnap Plugin for Games
              TwitterBlogYoutubeitch.io

              Comment


                #22
                I was just about to tackle something like this myself for my project. Now I think I will delay implementation of my solution to see if this here comes out in time. I bought your editor version and I am really eager to get this one too. Any estimate as to when we can expect this?

                Comment


                  #23
                  Originally posted by Wallenstein View Post
                  I was just about to tackle something like this myself for my project. Now I think I will delay implementation of my solution to see if this here comes out in time. I bought your editor version and I am really eager to get this one too. Any estimate as to when we can expect this?
                  Thank you. I'm a little bit afraid to give estimates Before I said it's coming soon then something else happens...
                  My self-imposed deadline this time is to submit before the end of this month.
                  Modular Japanese HouseScaffold System
                  Snap Plugin for EditorSnap Plugin for Games
                  TwitterBlogYoutubeitch.io

                  Comment


                    #24
                    Originally posted by scha View Post

                    Thank you. I'm a little bit afraid to give estimates Before I said it's coming soon then something else happens...
                    My self-imposed deadline this time is to submit before the end of this month.
                    Thanks, I'm really eager to get it, I'm looking forward to it

                    Comment


                      #25
                      Few more videos. Pre-built structures (look at 0:14 and 1:04)



                      and a little in-game editor, supports multiple selection and attached actors



                      In first version there will be:
                      • Snap related BP nodes (Snap, SmoothSnap, is connected etc.)
                      • Auto Preview actor (the green transparent thing)
                      • First person pawn, like for building houses
                      • Third person pawn, like the "editor"
                      • Plus some materials and meshes
                      BP nodes are C++, the actors are BP, so one can take it as base and modify easily.
                      Last edited by scha; 05-20-2019, 02:33 PM.
                      Modular Japanese HouseScaffold System
                      Snap Plugin for EditorSnap Plugin for Games
                      TwitterBlogYoutubeitch.io

                      Comment


                        #26
                        I've just made a little demo level, download here https://inugames.itch.io/mssr-demos
                        Posting for feedback.

                        In this level the search for snapping point and connections is made using the plugin, the rest is in the player pawn, it's not part of the plugin per se.

                        There are simulated and kinematic actors. When snapping them together the strategy is as follows:
                        - if the target is simulated then the snapped actor will be made simulated too and attached with "weld simulated bodies" option enabled, so chains of actors are formed this way.
                        - if the target is kinematic the physics on the snapped actors will be disabled too.

                        Holding of actor is made with a physics handle. When user click on an actor we will grab the top most parent of the actor, unless the shift is pressed, in which case we will detach a weld actor from it parent.

                        Check it out!
                        Last edited by scha; 05-21-2019, 06:10 PM.
                        Modular Japanese HouseScaffold System
                        Snap Plugin for EditorSnap Plugin for Games
                        TwitterBlogYoutubeitch.io

                        Comment


                          #27
                          Tried out the demo and it's made me even more excited for the plugin.

                          My only question is about the "bridge" parts. When you snap a cube to the base in order to build the bridge, the scale of the cube morphs to match the scale of the base. Is this a feature that can be toggled on/off in the blueprints?

                          Comment


                            #28
                            Originally posted by WOLFGANGTHOR View Post
                            Tried out the demo and it's made me even more excited for the plugin.

                            My only question is about the "bridge" parts. When you snap a cube to the base in order to build the bridge, the scale of the cube morphs to match the scale of the base. Is this a feature that can be toggled on/off in the blueprints?
                            Thank you for trying it! I really want some feedback before publishing it.

                            It's a feature, called "scale snap", that can be turned on and off, as you want.

                            Basically, there is a parameter that enables or disables it per axis. It can be specified as a global, or per connection point, so you can say 'I want cubes scale to match the other side, but the pipes should keep their original scale'. Now the scale is something kinda tricky in UE, always local, so use with care!

                            There is also rotation snap that works the same way, you can specify it globally or per snap point, for each axis. By default Y,Z are fixed and X snaps at 90° increments, so for example if you try to connect the bend pipe to another one you have 4 possible rotations that will work. You can also disable it and just snap locations keeping the original rotation of the mesh.

                            Let me know if you have other questions, so I know what I should explain when I do documentation.
                            Modular Japanese HouseScaffold System
                            Snap Plugin for EditorSnap Plugin for Games
                            TwitterBlogYoutubeitch.io

                            Comment


                              #29
                              Originally posted by scha View Post

                              Thank you for trying it! I really want some feedback before publishing it.

                              It's a feature, called "scale snap", that can be turned on and off, as you want.

                              Basically, there is a parameter that enables or disables it per axis. It can be specified as a global, or per connection point, so you can say 'I want cubes scale to match the other side, but the pipes should keep their original scale'. Now the scale is something kinda tricky in UE, always local, so use with care!

                              There is also rotation snap that works the same way, you can specify it globally or per snap point, for each axis. By default Y,Z are fixed and X snaps at 90° increments, so for example if you try to connect the bend pipe to another one you have 4 possible rotations that will work. You can also disable it and just snap locations keeping the original rotation of the mesh.

                              Let me know if you have other questions, so I know what I should explain when I do documentation.
                              For the purposes of the VR game I have in mind, I would be disabling the 90° rotation snap feature and just let the rotation stay as-is when snapped. I really like just how customizable and flexible this plugin will be.

                              Here’s another question for you.

                              How would the plugin handle multiple snap points being detected simultaneously with the rotation snap off?

                              Example (image attached):

                              Let’s say I have some rectangular floor tiles that are 1x2 and they have 6 snap points that align to a square grid. The green dots would be the socket snap points and the transparent green circle is the trigger zone. Would something like this end up in both of the sockets that are being triggered to be snapped together, ultimately aligning the two parts as if the 90° snap rotation was on?

                              I kind of see something similar happening in the demo when I place the last piece of the tube in its place completing the tube, but is it snapping to both sides or just one?

                              Comment


                                #30
                                Originally posted by WOLFGANGTHOR View Post

                                Let’s say I have some rectangular floor tiles that are 1x2 and they have 6 snap points that align to a square grid. The green dots would be the socket snap points and the transparent green circle is the trigger zone. Would something like this end up in both of the sockets that are being triggered to be snapped together, ultimately aligning the two parts as if the 90° snap rotation was on?

                                I kind of see something similar happening in the demo when I place the last piece of the tube in its place completing the tube, but is it snapping to both sides or just one?

                                Pipe is snapping to the nearest pipe. It's always one snap point to one. But you can override global rotation alignment rules per snap point too.
                                About snapping to 2 points, I kinda was thinking about something like that, but we managed to build our Japanese village demo level without, so I never really tried to implement it.
                                I will submit the thing now then we can see what can be improved, otherwise I will never finish

                                90° rotation snap doesn't work like that. I made a little video to explain:


                                I had an idea. Once I submitted the plugin I will make an interactive tutorial where people can change those settings and see which effect they have, like content examples.
                                Last edited by scha; 05-23-2019, 08:46 AM.
                                Modular Japanese HouseScaffold System
                                Snap Plugin for EditorSnap Plugin for Games
                                TwitterBlogYoutubeitch.io

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X