Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I sell a map if some of the assets were made from a modular building pack?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dutchie, everyone is telling you no, even pointing out flaws in your logic, and explaining you why.
    You are only defending this because there is a small realization that all your hard work might be for naught.
    Not all is lost though, you learned a lot while making this and if you go at it again.. Really making everything from scratch so nothing from those packages is still present you can submit it, and be proud about it.
    now, in the case that you are a poor explainer and we poor at understanding you and you actually did exactly that, then there is nothing to worry about.
    If content from those packages are still present though, you might end up with problems and is that worth the risk?

Comment

Originally posted by dutchiexx View Post

the meshes are individual pieces of a house, but the seller sells this product as a tool for quickly putting together houses, its simply a tool, that is his packs main focus. what im doing is building a map for a game, this map contains houses that were built with the help of his tool. who ever buys my pack does not get access to his tool, they only get access to the stuff that I created myself while using his tool....
      Many sellers make packs that have modular doors walls etc and when you put them in a game and sell that game the people who buy your game DO NOT have access to those modular pieces. There is a difference where you sell a game you don't have access to the assets and when you sell a project where you do. Its as simple as this. The pack you sell will have folders in it. regardless of the map you put together the folders will have assets in it that buyers can export and put those assets into their UE4 projects. Walls, doors etc are fbx models. If one of those fbx files was created by someone else and unless you have express permission from that creator to sell their work then you can't put those fbx files in your pack. End of story.

Comment

Originally posted by Luos View Post
        Dutchie, everyone is telling you no, even pointing out flaws in your logic, and explaining you why.
        You are only defending this because there is a small realization that all your hard work might be for naught.
        Not all is lost though, you learned a lot while making this and if you go at it again.. Really making everything from scratch so nothing from those packages is still present you can submit it, and be proud about it.
        now, in the case that you are a poor explainer and we poor at understanding you and you actually did exactly that, then there is nothing to worry about.
        If content from those packages are still present though, you might end up with problems and is that worth the risk?
        all is not lost, the maker of the pack says its fine if I sell my map as is.

Comment

Originally posted by tcla75 View Post
          Many sellers make packs that have modular doors walls etc and when you put them in a game and sell that game the people who buy your game DO NOT have access to those modular pieces. There is a difference where you sell a game you don't have access to the assets and when you sell a project where you do. Its as simple as this. The pack you sell will have folders in it. regardless of the map you put together the folders will have assets in it that buyers can export and put those assets into their UE4 projects. Walls, doors etc are fbx models. If one of those fbx files was created by someone else and unless you have express permission from that creator to sell their work then you can't put those fbx files in your pack. End of story.
          when someone purchases my map, they do not get access to any of the modular parts, all of the houses built from those parts are merged together into one single static mesh, as a whole.

Comment

when someone purchases my map, they do not get access to any of the modular parts, all of the houses built from those parts are merged together into one single static mesh, as a whole.
            Doesn't matter if they are separate, together or put into a million pieces like a jigsaw you still need their permission to sell them but if that is the maker you are talking about then you have that permission. If it's not epic won't let you sell it.

Comment

Like tcla75 said, it doesnt matter how the final product was assembled if it uses other peoples work. You did not make the house or its content, you just assembled it. If you have permission from the author of the pack you are using (which I feel they are probably confused about your intentions as well) then thats fine.
              Stylized Low Poly Environment
              Stylized Low Poly Pine Forest
              Stylized Low Poly Buildings
              First Person Horror Template

Comment

Is selling a 'Creators' or authoring-version of a Modular-Pack, the answer here maybe ....
                Price would be a multiple of the usual, maybe a 2x-5x increase in price, but afterwards...
                You can do what you want with the assets including bundling / resale. Is that workable?...
                Last edited by EntrpriseCustomr; 10-21-2018, 01:59 PM.

Comment

dutchiexx No need to extend this discussion, in the same FAQ you have the marketplace support e-mail where you can address your question and have it answered in a 24-48 time frame. I am the one aswell that also sees your question with a NO as answer. Your quote disregard some points that I will place in bold characters for your attention:

"What can a customer do with my product?

All products sold on the Marketplace are licensed to the customer (who may be either an individual or company) for the lifetime right to use the content in developing an unlimited number of products and in shipping those products. The customer is also licensed to make the content available to employees and contractors for the sole purpose of contributing to products controlled by the customer.

Each such product built using content purchased from the Marketplace must be a standalone creative work (such a game, simulation, or video) in which the Marketplace product is merely a component and not the primary focus."

So if you create a map you are not creating a standalone creative work, but a component to be used in a source form, so you cannot add other people's components as source form into yours without their consent.
                  Nilson Lima
                  Technical Director @ Rigel Studios Ltda - twitter: @RigelStudios
                  Join us at Discord: https://discord.gg/FUwTvzr

UE4 Marketplace: Cloudscape Seasons
                  supporting: Community FREE Ocean plugin

Comment

^This guy knows his licencing, i would listen to him.
                    Always try to be safe first than sorry later, so do send an email and don't try to sell anything unless you're 100% sure there are no issues when doing so, copyright disputes are not nice things.

Be safe!
                    Last edited by HeavyBullets; 10-22-2018, 06:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by NilsonLima View Post
                      dutchiexx No need to extend this discussion, in the same FAQ you have the marketplace support e-mail where you can address your question and have it answered in a 24-48 time frame. I am the one aswell that also sees your question with a NO as answer. Your quote disregard some points that I will place in bold characters for your attention:

"What can a customer do with my product?

All products sold on the Marketplace are licensed to the customer (who may be either an individual or company) for the lifetime right to use the content in developing an unlimited number of products and in shipping those products. The customer is also licensed to make the content available to employees and contractors for the sole purpose of contributing to products controlled by the customer.

Each such product built using content purchased from the Marketplace must be a standalone creative work (such a game, simulation, or video) in which the Marketplace product is merely a component and not the primary focus."

So if you create a map you are not creating a standalone creative work, but a component to be used in a source form, so you cannot add other people's components as source form into yours without their consent.
                      This is an old thread but I'm trying to understand the matter myself.

Why would a map not be regarded as a standalone piece of art? There are many level design concepts on ArtStation that are regarded as original standalone pieces of art. Why would a map not be regarded such?

Also... I haven't seen a single art asset on the marketplace that is not a combination of textures, meshes, materials etc.

Artists also use a lot of references for their work, some even just copy/paste photos onto the canvas and draw their own textures and forms on top of it.

But I guess the best thing one can do is talk to Epic Games directly. Legal matters are nothing to be played with.

Comment

Originally posted by FUYUKINEKOSAN View Post

This is an old thread but I'm trying to understand the matter myself.

Why would a map not be regarded as a standalone piece of art? There are many level design concepts on ArtStation that are regarded as original standalone pieces of art. Why would a map not be regarded such?

Also... I haven't seen a single art asset on the marketplace that is not a combination of textures, meshes, materials etc.

Artists also use a lot of references for their work, some even just copy/paste photos onto the canvas and draw their own textures and forms on top of it.

But I guess the best thing one can do is talk to Epic Games directly. Legal matters are nothing to be played with.
                        If you read the 1st post from poster, you will notice that there are two pieces of content which belongs to other creators, in his particular case: auto-materials for landscape which includes textures and an modular house kit (separate parts which make houses in several different ways). In this particular case, he won't be able to sell, because the other content were made with someone's work. So, even the landscape were sculpted and it is awesome, the other pieces break marketplace rules. The only way for this to go through is: the poster to obtain from those creators a written authorization as a special licensing which allows the resell of their work and send this authorization to the marketplace as proof he can do it.

Everything which is authored by someone is copyrighted, even textures. Of course work based on references is a bit different, but you can't possibly think all references are free of copyright, meaning: known faces or places or objects (with brands or copyright on design) can be reproduced without incurring in a copyright or brand offense. (places like the Hollywood hill sign can't be reproduced without written authorization)

Of course talking with Epic is the ultimate source of confirmation, but if some logic is applied before asking, you don't need to do it:

- Does my work use someone else's work? (textures, blueprints, meshes, materials)
                        - Does my work use a derived shape from a known brand? (logos, vehicles, guns, home appliances)
                        - Does my work use a reference photo of a place, a person's face, etc and the result, even handcrafted, is recognizable as that place, person's face, etc?

Any yes for any question above will automatically make the submission a failure, unless you have written authorization allowing you to do so.
                        Nilson Lima
                        Technical Director @ Rigel Studios Ltda - twitter: @RigelStudios
                        Join us at Discord: https://discord.gg/FUwTvzr

UE4 Marketplace: Cloudscape Seasons
                        supporting: Community FREE Ocean plugin

Comment

Working...
                        X