Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I sell a map if some of the assets were made from a modular building pack?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Can I sell a map if some of the assets were made from a modular building pack?

    I plan on creating full size maps to sell on the market, however, the landscapes were sculpted using a auto material landscape tool that I purchased from the market, and some of the houses on the maps were made by a modular house building kit that I also purchased from the market, am I allowed to sell my maps with these assets?

    #2
    long answer: of course not.
    Short answer: nee

    longer answer: would need to remove all content you didnt make, purchased from mp, and anything else that has copyright or was not made by you unless you have a signed agreement with the person or company you got that content from.

    Comment


      #3
      Originally posted by Luos View Post
      long answer: of course not.
      Short answer: nee

      longer answer: would need to remove all content you didnt make, purchased from mp, and anything else that has copyright or was not made by you unless you have a signed agreement with the person or company you got that content from.
      are you completely sure? I been reading over the market guidelines and it says.

      " Each such product built using content purchased from the Marketplace must be a standalone creative work (such a game, simulation, or video) in which the Marketplace product is merely a component and not the primary focus."

      in my case, the modular parts of the houses are not the primary focus, the primary focus would be the map, trees, roads, landscape ect... if selling the map is is not allowed then I could just make a simple game that uses the map and assets, thus, it would be a stand alone creative work, right?

      the way I see it, say you purchased a hammer, some nails and some wood, you then create something using those tools, you should have the right to sell your creation right? this is the same exact thing, im not selling the actual tools used to make the map, im just selling the content that the tools helped to make.
      Last edited by dutchiexx; 10-20-2018, 09:01 AM.

      Comment


        #4
        Sounds like you're planning on giving away someone's else's assets / IP in a 'source form' though, no?.... In some circumstances, you might be able to sell a final 'immutable' / derived product that the hammer + nails + wood helped create, but not the 'raw ingredients'... Surely you can see that?... For example you can buy a landscape creation and auto-material tool and sell the derived landscapes that you've created, but not bundle the tools or source assets etc.

        BTW:
        There are free procedural-building and auto-material-landscape tools floating around. Maybe you can leverage them as long as they're just a byproduct. You can also write to the content creators and offer a fixed sum. Maybe they'll grant you a special license if sales are slow. Otherwise you're just playing with language / semantics and are on shaky ground dude....
        Last edited by EntrpriseCustomr; 10-20-2018, 09:44 AM.

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by franktech View Post
          Sounds like you're planning on giving away someone's else's assets / IP in a 'source form' though , no?.... In some circumstances, you might be able to sell a final 'immutable' / derived product that the hammer + nails + wood helped create, but not the 'raw ingredients'... Surely you can see that?...

          BTW:
          There are free procedural-building and auto-material-landscape tools floating around. Maybe you can leverage them as long as they're just a byproduct. You can also write to the content creators and offer a fixed sum. Maybe they'll grant you a special license if sales are slow. Otherwise you're just playing with language / semantics and are on shaky ground dude....
          I completely understand how selling the "raw ingredients" of some ones else's work is wrong, however, I do not intend to sell the raw ingredients whats so ever, I simply wish to sell content that the tools I purchased helped to create. imma go into the exact details of what I want to do..

          so, I first purchased a auto landscape pack from the market, it contained only some materials and some blending functions, the pack I bought was being sold as a standalone landscape material pack, I then replaced its materials with my own but I still used its blending and auto-sculpting functions to sculpt my terrain. I then purchased a asset pack from the market that contained a small variety of modular house parts, the pack did not sell with pre-made houses or anything, it only came with the individual building parts like walls, doors, roofs, floors ect.. I then created a entire town by combining those parts together piece by piece, I even added my own modular parts that I created myself, so what I end up with is a huge and well designed map that contains a ton of different houses, trees, grass, rocks, a few neighborhoods and stuff. Now I wish to sell that map along with the neighborhoods that I designed, all the houses will of course be only static meshes and of course not contain any of the functions that the original tool provided, the pack will not contain any type of modular building parts, only single static meshes...so its not like im selling someones else's work, like, if you wanna build your own houses, you will have to purchase the other persons pack because my pack only contains solid static meshes and have no modular building functions what so ever.......heres another example, if you build a pc with parts you purchased from amazon, then its legit if you wish to sell that pc right? this is the same thing...I think.

          Comment


            #6
            Interesting scenario... That does sound closer to the Landscape creator example above... As long as there's no original meshes / textures / materials is the new fixed-house meshes, then I think you'll be ok... Same goes for the terrain... But as always IANAL applies... So the only answer that counts is from marketplace-support@unrealengine.com or https://marketplacehelp.epicgames.com/s/ etc etc. If it turns out this isn't allowed post back and let us know, as it would kind of put a dent in the attractiveness of buying raw modular packs if derived meshes can only be sold as fully packaged projects etc.

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by franktech View Post
              Interesting scenario... That does sound closer to the Landscape creator example above... As long as there's no original meshes / textures / materials is the new fixed-house meshes, then I think you'll be ok... Same goes for the terrain... But as always IANAL applies... So the only answer that counts is from marketplace-support@unrealengine.com or https://marketplacehelp.epicgames.com/s/ etc etc. If it turns out this isn't allowed post back and let us know, as it would kind of put a dent in the attractiveness of buying raw modular packs if derived meshes can only be sold as fully packaged projects etc.
              indeed, ill send a email and report back. and yeah, It would be a shame to have to remove all the towns I made, I put alot of work and effort into this thing, had plans to offer good quality map design and hundreds of unique houses and props for around 10 bucks.... I mean, I dont see the point of buying modular assets if you cant sell the content you create with them.....kinda defeats the purpose from my perspective.....can you imagine trying to sell a painting you made and then walmart be all like " hey, you cant sell that because you painted it with the brushes you bought from us" @.@
              Last edited by dutchiexx; 10-20-2018, 10:32 AM.

              Comment


                #8
                Agree.... It shuts the market off to middle-layer creative industries that aren't modelers per-se, but are still doing interesting work using derived modular packs. However, Epic are the law, so they may shoot the idea down completely to avoid any potential abuses.

                I do a lot of this kind of work myself. It can be extremely liberating to take meshes meant for one thing and re-purpose them entirely for another. For realism based work it isn't applicable maybe, but for Sci-Fi / Fantasy etc, it can offer lots of different possibilities...

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by franktech View Post
                  Agree.... It shuts the market off to middle-layer creative industries that aren't modelers per-se, but are still doing interesting work using derived modular packs. However, Epic are the law, so they may shoot the idea down completely to avoid any potential abuses.

                  I do a lot of this kind of work myself. It can be extremely liberating to take meshes meant for one thing and re-purpose them entirely for another. For realism based work it isn't applicable maybe, but for Sci-Fi / Fantasy etc, it can offer lots of different possibilities...
                  no doubt, my map is simply intended to be a massive open world for a survival game, using modular assets is perfect for me because im doing it all solo, it saves a lot of time while still allowing me the creative freedom of making something from pretty much nothing ( almost nothing) that is...I think I should just email the original creator of the modular parts and see what he thinks about it.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by dutchiexx View Post
                    I then purchased a asset pack from the market that contained a small variety of modular house parts, the pack did not sell with pre-made houses or anything, it only came with the individual building parts like walls, doors, roofs, floors ect.
                    The walls doors and so on from the pack you bought, are these 3d fbx models the seller made himself in a modeling program? and are they in the pack you intend to sell? If they are then you can't sell them.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      When a product is for sale on the marketplace, all assets within it are also being sold, and you are making money from them all, regardless of their use. You cannot sell other peoples work without explicit permission. The guideline you quoted was for Epics own work, which they allow to be used (anything from the content examples for instance), but that does not apply to other third party assets.
                      Stylized Low Poly Environment
                      Stylized Low Poly Pine Forest
                      Stylized Low Poly Buildings
                      First Person Horror Template

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by Shirk View Post
                        When a product is for sale on the marketplace, all assets within it are also being sold, and you are making money from them all, regardless of their use. You cannot sell other peoples work without explicit permission. The guideline you quoted was for Epics own work, which they allow to be used (anything from the content examples for instance), but that does not apply to other third party assets.

                        I think you are mistaken, the quote came straight from the FAQ in the section of " what can a customer do with my work" key word is costumer , here is the exact copy.

                        "What can a customer do with my product?

                        All products sold on the Marketplace are licensed to the customer (who may be either an individual or company) for the lifetime right to use the content in developing an unlimited number of products and in shipping those products. The customer is also licensed to make the content available to employees and contractors for the sole purpose of contributing to products controlled by the customer.

                        Each such product built using content purchased from the Marketplace must be a standalone creative work (such a game, simulation, or video) in which the Marketplace product is merely a component and not the primary focus."



                        Comment


                          #13
                          Originally posted by tcla75 View Post

                          The walls doors and so on from the pack you bought, are these 3d fbx models the seller made himself in a modeling program? and are they in the pack you intend to sell? If they are then you can't sell them.
                          the meshes are individual pieces of a house, but the seller sells this product as a tool for quickly putting together houses, its simply a tool, that is his packs main focus. what im doing is building a map for a game, this map contains houses that were built with the help of his tool. who ever buys my pack does not get access to his tool, they only get access to the stuff that I created myself while using his tool....

                          Comment


                            #14
                            That basically says no asset flipping without originality, and use is licensed for your product being commercialized ie game, film, etc. why not talk to the seller about selling a texture pack for an item. You cannot clone advanced fur shader with your own different textures and expect to sell the shader in mp. Why not just use epics landscape example material with your textures? Thinking you can re sell a mp asset in your pack is ridiculous. There are tons of free auto landscape materials. Its not like they’ll let you re sell advanced locomotion with your own animations and character.

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Originally posted by thadkinsjr View Post
                              That basically says no asset flipping without originality, and use is licensed for your product being commercialized ie game, film, etc. why not talk to the seller about selling a texture pack for an item. You cannot clone advanced fur shader with your own different textures and expect to sell the shader in mp. Why not just use epics landscape example material with your textures? Thinking you can re sell a mp asset in your pack is ridiculous. There are tons of free auto landscape materials. Its not like they’ll let you re sell advanced locomotion with your own animations and character.
                              thats completely different. I think some of you are greatly misunderstanding what im asking about, but it does not matter now because the creator of the tool says its fine to sell packs in which I used his tool to help create. see, there is a huge difference between selling someones raw content and selling a pack that contains content that the tool help create. Im not sure how much more clear I can be about my intent can be...and no, its saying no reselling assets without having them integrated into your pack, see, the pack I bought is only a tool used for creating stuff, my pack contains only the stuff that I created using the tool, the tool itself is not being sold nor is its functions being sold. when someone buys my map pack, they get a full sized map, this map has stuff that is integrated into it that was made by using a tool I purchased from the market. its the same exact thing as selling a video game that contains assets that were purchased from the market. whats the point of buying tools to build stuff if you can not market the content you create with it?

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X