Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Grapple Component (Synchronized Animation Between Characters)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sounds good, brother. Keep up the great work.

Comment

Looking forward to it! I'm in the middle of making my own system but will try and keep it easily replaceable for when you release your (undoubtedly much better) system.

Comment

Sounds great! We've just started working on animal AI and animation systems, so it's amazing to hear it will come soon!

Also I have some questions. Will there be any example projects? Document seems very informative, but will you also record video tutorial about how to start? Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Emrehan View Post
          Sounds great! We've just started working on animal AI and animation systems, so it's amazing to hear it will come soon!

Also I have some questions. Will there be any example projects? Document seems very informative, but will you also record video tutorial about how to start? Thanks!
          Hi Emrehan

The Grapple Component will indeed come with an example project containing several characters (based on the third person template), where each character has its own Grapple Sequence that can be initiated by the player.

Regarding the video tutorials: I have not made any yet, but I probably will when the project is launched, because there seems to be a demand for it.

Comment

I had a quick skim of your documentation but didn't see anything on authoring animations. Are there any special requirements you have for this? How I've been doing it is having a sync bone at the root that I lock the target to when a grapple is initiated. This works fine but becomes a problem when you want to unlock and maintain momentum (such as if the target is getting thrown).

I'd ideally like to prepare my animations ahead of time for your component so do you have any advice on best practices here?

Comment

Originally posted by PlayingKarrde View Post
              I had a quick skim of your documentation but didn't see anything on authoring animations. Are there any special requirements you have for this? How I've been doing it is having a sync bone at the root that I lock the target to when a grapple is initiated. This works fine but becomes a problem when you want to unlock and maintain momentum (such as if the target is getting thrown).

I'd ideally like to prepare my animations ahead of time for your component so do you have any advice on best practices here?
              Hi PlayingKarrde

There are no real requirements when making animations that work with the Grapple Component. You can animate characters as you see fit in your animation software, and then tell the Grapple Component instructions on how te interpret these animations, such as the following:
              • The relative transformation between Participants
              • Whether one Character should be attached to another
              • If and for how long you want characters to Reposition (i.e. sliding in place to fit their animations)
              • Whether you want the Grapple Component to bring corrections to the animation poses animations made on different Skeletal Meshes look correct (See the section on Animation Matching in the documentation)
              Some recommendations I would make as best practices are things you would probably expect:
              • Animate characters in a way that makes sanse gameplay-wise. For example, if you want Characters to be 100 units apart when the Grapple Sequence ends, it is a good idea to animate them with the skeletons 100 units apart in the animation software as well. What I tried to do for the sample content, i having characters stand at a 100 unit distance and facing each other. So the relative transformation between characters would be (T: 100 , 0, 0; R: 0, 0, 180; S: 1, 1, 1).
              • Make sure the timing is the same in both animation assets. While you can set a custom start time for each animation, it is easier to have
              Your workflow of using a custom bone can also be used. In that case, the Scene Root of the Grapple Sequence would be the Character Mesh of the Participant with the custom bone. You can fill in the custom bone as the attach socket. If you enable Repositioning and attachment for the other Participant, that Participant will follow the custom bone for the duration of the Grapple Sequence.

I hope to have answered your question. Feel free to correct me if this is not the case or if anything else is unclear!

Kind regards
              Jonathan

Comment

This is exactly what I would look for :O I'm definitely interested.

Comment

hello, been stalking this forum for a bit anxiously awaiting release!

Comment

Working...
                  X