Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[RELEASED] Modular Medieval NPC

Dear Ladies and Gentlemen,

we are proud to inform you that our new package “Modular Medieval NPC “ is submitted and we wait for epic approval to make it fully released.
    This pack comes with a load of assets to equip a medieval characters as you like.

*****Update****

Release:

Multiple arms, chests, shoes, helmets, are ready to be assembled to your own unique composition. Be it beggar, a rich townsman or a regular citizen – it’s your choice how to fill the world with NPC’s or maybe even use the provided items as Player Character gear.

Each equipment uses a master material and a mask texture, which allow you to tweak its visual appearance in detail. For compatibility to other asset packs (like weapon animation sets), the delivered skeletal meshes are skinned to the UE4 skeleton. We added sockets for tools or weapon, these pivots are aligned to its hand grip.
    To help you to get started with your new assets, the pack contains a couple of character blueprints and one character editor blueprint example which implements all of the assets and their customization possibilities.

We used Data Assets instead of Data Tables to store the items information. Thus you also have better control over individual features of the items (e.g. chests have slightly different settings than hats) and are able to easily add more features on your own.

The pack will be delivered with three different Heads + a Hair/Beard combination as a starter. We plan to create a separate product regarding this specific head feature. The scope of this product would be to big including all required facial feature components with our desired quality expectation.

You can replace these heads/hairs anytime with your own creations if they don’t fit your desired needs. Texture sharing: Eyebrows, beard and hair share all the same alpha texture. So no double data stuff where it is not needed. You can create material instances and tint them per shader to create slight variations.
    We gonna share more information when the time comes, so please be patient with us.
    As a customer you are always welcome to contact us.

A few facts:

- Chests can be equipped with a gloves as well. The mesh morphs automatically when selecting the glove asset. For naked hands or normal arms the chest stays on default.

- Hair change dynamically when the character or NPC got a hat on.

- Robes for spiritual characters are skinned correctly + cloth sim. You can decide how far you want push this feature. There is no intersection with underlying legs/shoes.

- 6 different equipment slots (hat, hair, head, chest, arm, leg).
    -2 attachments slots (main hand, off hand).

- Each item comes with 4 tint-able channels per asset

Females are currently in development and will be delivered in the first update of the pack, which is scheduled for the second half of the year. I can’t give you right now estimates so please be patient. But this female update is for free and you will not be charged if you bought the pack already. There is no separate female pack scheduled, we gonna build it all in one.
    The idea is to use the same Skeleton for animation sharing.

We are currently looking into methods with gameplay tags to differentiate between genders.

All datastructure and names are allready in place to support gender customization:
    T_ma_chest_villager_02_D
    T_fe_chest_rich_01_D

Feel free to contact us anytime if you have any more Questions.

The 18page product documentation will delivered with the product as well.

Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	3 Size:	243.1 KB ID:	1468642

Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	400.3 KB ID:	1468643
    Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	271.5 KB ID:	1468644
    Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	306.8 KB ID:	1468645

Cheers,
    Thomas + Christian
    Attached Files
    Last edited by PolyPhorie; 05-23-2018, 06:13 PM.

Hello guys,

we got the approval by Epic today. Our pack is now officially released.
    So what are the Next steps? I made a couple of tests how to integrate females into our existing pack, played around with bodyshapes, retargeting etc pp.
    We gonna stick for now with the default SK_Mannequin proportions as well, you can scale that a tad down without havin any impact at all.

Quote myself from early May:
    Females are currently in development and will be delivered in the first update of the pack, which is scheduled for the second half of the year. I can’t give you right now estimates so please be patient. But this female update is for free and you will not be charged if you bought the pack already. There is no separate female pack scheduled, we gonna build it all in one.
    The idea is to use the same Skeleton for animation sharing.
    It's not an option to simply morph the chests to a female bodyshape and put a female head/hair and top. Simply put: this would not meet our quality expectations.

I created a simple survey to figure out what you guys wanna see. Feel free to participate.
    https://www.surveymonkey.de/r/5ZZ7LDR

We hope you have a lovely day as well!

Cheers + Have fun!
    Thomas

Comment

Just what i needed to hear :-)
      Just purchased, thanks a lot for this pack !
      Cheers
      Cedric

Comment

Although I have figured out how this works, I would still love to see a video tutorial on this. Any chance you can put one together?

Comment

Hello YasuoCodes,

ll gonna record a video and show it's all put together.after the female release.
          The documentation covers most of the basic features, like integration of new assets/ moprh targets/expanding the system etc.

Feel free to ask questionsdirectly here in thread or contact us per mail.

Thanks,
          Thomas
          Last edited by PolyPhorie; 06-03-2018, 05:11 AM.

Comment

Amazing package, but I am having some animation issues. When I attach your NPC blueprint MESH object to an animation blueprint it does not respond to animations. I also cannot play animations directly on the mesh. Is this expected or am I doing something wrong?

Comment

Hello WRKSGames,

I am the co-developer of this pack. Let me see how I can help you.

Originally posted by WRKSGames View Post
              Amazing package, but I am having some animation issues. When I attach your NPC blueprint MESH object to an animation blueprint it does not respond to animations. I also cannot play animations directly on the mesh. Is this expected or am I doing something wrong?
              Could you give me more information of what do you mean by "attaching the mesh to an animation blueprint"?
              Are your animations compatible / retargeted to the UE4_Mannequin_Skeleton?
              Screenshots would help a lot.

Actually, the animations get replicated to all relevant skeletal mesh components of the character automatically.
              Currently, the usage is intended this way.

In Level

Anim Blueprint
              Select Blueprint. Set Animation Mode respectively. Assign Anim Class.
              Make sure your Anim Blueprint is compatible with the UE4_Mannequin_Skeleton.

Single Animation Asset
              Select Blueprint. Set Animation Mode respectively. Assign the Anim Asset (iin this case a single animation).
              For this I used a non-default animation (not delivered with Unreal Editor). Here as well make sure the animation is compatible with the skeleton.

Click image for larger version

Name:	02_NonDefaultAnimation.jpg
Views:	553
Size:	159.2 KB
ID:	1486331

Custom Animation Montage
              Select Blueprint. Set Animation Mode respectively. Assign the Anim Asset (in this case a montage).
              For this I made a montage of the default third person example animations Jump Start, Jump Loop, and Jump End.

Name:	03_CustomAnimMontage.jpg
Views:	516
Size:	164.0 KB
ID:	1486332

In Blueprint Defaults

You can setup these types of animation also in the Blueprint Defaults when selecting the component "Mesh (Inherited)".

Name:	04_BlueprintDefaults.jpg
Views:	540
Size:	128.5 KB
ID:	1486333

Feel free to deepen your questions if I could not help you, yet.

Cheers,
              Kalabrix
              Attached Files

Comment

I think I may know what WRKSGames is speaking about. I had some trouble at first getting the animations to play with some custom attacks I had. I think I had to setup a master pose component and attach each body part/skeletal mesh component to it. I don't know if that is an unneeded step, but that allowed for my custom animations to work. Not totally certain if this is the same issue you are having.

Comment

This is a very nice pack. Very impressed and look forward to using it. I managed to get the animations working fine (I used the method listed above as well, the Master Pose Component). Everything works flawless except for one issue.

I am getting some tearing on certain animations. I have tried doing different retargeting options and the results are the same.

Comment

Originally posted by YasuoCodes View Post
                    I think I may know what WRKSGames is speaking about. I had some trouble at first getting the animations to play with some custom attacks I had. I think I had to setup a master pose component and attach each body part/skeletal mesh component to it. I don't know if that is an unneeded step, but that allowed for my custom animations to work. Not totally certain if this is the same issue you are having.
                    Aha! Thanks YasuoCodes . Yes, this is what I was experiencing too.

And Kalabrix, yes the animation blueprint is retargeted to UE4 humanoid skeleton. All basic animations work, its the animations that require custom attacks, poses and gestures that were causing problems. What YasuoCodes explained above is exactly correct interpretation of my issue.

Thanks to both of you for your assitance

best regards

Kosala from WRKS Games

Comment

Originally posted by WRKSGames View Post

Aha! Thanks YasuoCodes . Yes, this is what I was experiencing too.

And Kalabrix, yes the animation blueprint is retargeted to UE4 humanoid skeleton. All basic animations work, its the animations that require custom attacks, poses and gestures that were causing problems. What YasuoCodes explained above is exactly correct interpretation of my issue.

Thanks to both of you for your assitance

best regards

Kosala from WRKS Games
                      Glad to here, you both found a solution.
                      We'll fix that in the next update.

Thank you!

Comment

Hey guys, great that everthing workes for you.

@Olathuss
                        Originally posted by Olathuss View Post

I am getting some tearing on certain animations. I have tried doing different retargeting options and the results are the same.

I investiged and found that error. I'll fixed that and we gonna submit a new Version with the 4.20 release (which came to preview yesterday). I could sent you a uasset if you prefer to get it immediately.

Cheers,
                        Thomas

Comment

Cool glad it worked for yous!

Comment

Originally posted by ThomasVogel View Post
                            Hey guys, great that everthing workes for you.

@Olathuss

I investiged and found that error. I'll fixed that and we gonna submit a new Version with the 4.20 release (which came to preview yesterday). I could sent you a uasset if you prefer to get it immediately.

Cheers,
                            Thomas
                            Awesome thank you for doing that and so quickly. I can wait for 4.20, I am in no rush right now. Thanks again.

Comment

Ok I have a new problem ThomasVogel and Kalabrix : in your content folders you have two sets of animation blueprints. Are the NPC blueprints tied to the DemoContent/Meshes folder animblueprint or the DemoContent/Animations anim blueprint? When I try to retarget animations, your skeleton is not showing up. See screenshot

Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X