Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The lack of quality control hurts the marketplace. Do you agree that overall quality is low?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Floodgates are open just like on Steam... was to be expected, wasn't it ? They make money on every purchase, so more = better. Quality doesn't matter in this business case.

Comment

Steam is a bit different. It has a much larger audience so the rating system actually works. Many of the 5 star rated assets on the marketplace are from a single reviewer.
      George Rolfe.
      Technical Coordinator at Orbit Solutions Pty Ltd.

Comment

I can only speak of the materials category. I suspect that quality exceptions are made depending on whether or not these sub-par materials are filling a Content Void. This strategy diversifies what types of product are available for purchase, thus expanding sales territory. To be overly stringent on asset quality is to prolong the time it takes to diversify the marketplace. This can be seen as a waste of time, which is a waste of money.

Some brief observations from the materials category:

Spoiler

Comment

We all have different quality criteria. I voted "average" and it's fine by me.

I wouldn't say the Marketplace is junk, I would say it becomes more and more populated and we need better sorting / searching tools.

It feels like I can't search "On Sale" in a specific category for instance. And this is just one thing among a lot of others small quirks and sub-efficient browsing features.

If it would be easier to find what we're looking for, we would be less disturbed by what we find "sub-quality".

EDIT: And we also have to remember that a few months ago everyone was complaining about the length of the marketplace team reviews. They speed up the process and I'm happy about it.

This all looks like absolutely not realistic and capricious quibbles.
          I disagree, we have to talk about anything we think can be improved.
          Last edited by Yun-Kun; 03-16-2018, 06:18 AM.
          [Released] Multiplayer Combat Editor
          A-RPG Sacred Swords
          Youtube Tutorials

Comment

Originally posted by thetomatofarmer View Post
            Some brief observations from the materials category:

Spoiler
            This. There are also mesh packs where one set has a dirt applied to the base texture and the other does not, or blueprint systems that are identical but with slightly different meshes.

Comment

"Scaled to Epic Skeleton = No" is the worst for me, because the work might look nice on video or screenshots, but if you cannot make your pawn walk through that door, or the tree looks like a bush, oh well, that hurts the pocket.

Obs: When seller cares to say if it is Scaled to Epic Skeleton, sometimes this info is completely missing.
              Nilson Lima
              Technical Director @ Rigel Studios Ltda - twitter: @RigelStudios
              Join us at Discord: https://discord.gg/uFFSEXY

UE4 Marketplace: Cloudscape Seasons
              supporting: Community FREE Ocean plugin

Comment

We sold them cheap.

and people still complaining about it ?

but about scaled with epic skeleton. Is there a way to change that in engine ? I made mistake when i import my asset to engine.
                Last edited by Iron G; 03-16-2018, 12:26 PM.

Comment

I dont mind if people rate my asset low.

but dont forget to leave review.

i may fix the problem and improve myself. (Who know that i could give a bonus).

new guy have hard time to make asset in first place

Comment

Originally posted by vincentslee View Post
                    We sold them cheap.

and people still complaining about it ?
                    Each sales price should be considered a Quality Realm. If any Quality Realm, especially the lowest one, is diluted with sub-par or beginner assets, then higher quality, more professional assets that would otherwise be confined to the same Quality Realm are instead sold in the Quality Realm above it. If almost exclusively sub-par products are priced at five to fifteen dollars per unit, then there will be no incentive to create a higher quality five to fifteen dollar product without first selling it at twenty dollars.

Beginners to game development should not be allowed to use the marketplace as a paid-for learning experience. It is detrimental to any professional competition that the marketplace was intended for.

Comment

Originally posted by thetomatofarmer View Post

Each sales price should be considered a Quality Realm. If any Quality Realm, especially the lowest one, is diluted with sub-par or beginner assets, then higher quality, more professional assets that would otherwise be confined to the same Quality Realm are instead sold in the Quality Realm above it. If almost exclusively sub-par products are priced at five to fifteen dollars per unit, then there will be no incentive to create a higher quality five to fifteen dollar product without first selling it at twenty dollars.

Beginners to game development should not be allowed to use the marketplace as a paid-for learning experience. It is detrimental to any professional competition that the marketplace was intended for.
                      What measure proffesional ?

i have seen 3d modeler get forced to animate their product....

Comment

To me the quality seems pretty high, but...I haven't bought all the assets yet.

As the marketplace grows its not entirely out of place that the selection of assets also expands in range of quality, though. Personally I'd rather have more to choose from than only expensive AAA assets that I can't afford anyway. Out of all the websites selling assets that I know of noone has got a longer list of technical demands than what Epic and Unreal Marketplace has. Personally I like that theres multiple options for assets in different price ranges, but there's many things that can be done to improve things on the marketplace.

One of those things is that the buyers should leave more comments and ratings than what is the case now; sometimes there's 0 comments on the Unreal Marketplace, while 50 or more on the Unity Asset Store for that version. If more people rated assets, and a filtering system for ratings was implemented, along with wishlists and the ability to follow creators, things would look a lot better.

Instead, what you get here is often brand new assets with a 5 star rating and no comments; what kind of a system is it that lets sellers rate their own product? It doesn't excactly inspire trust. To make matters worse comments are kept to a 60 character or so limit, hence going in depth with the feedback is not really incentivised.

Sellers should be required to share more info about their products, including revealing images, instead of witholding info like polycount, and not always showing the complete package content.

To sum up; I'm not bothered by a range of quality, more by an often underwhelming amount of info and reviews about the assets, making buying choices a "leap of faith".

Comment

I do agree with luck of quality and also slow process of submitting new content. Maybe user voting system could fix it?With requirements of submiting video with demonstration etc. I can bet that we all users, customers do not want to see massive "bin" like Unity store have.

Comment

I actually disagree

Comment

Originally posted by Soulast View Post
                              I do agree with luck of quality and also slow process of submitting new content. Maybe user voting system could fix it?With requirements of submiting video with demonstration etc. I can bet that we all users, customers do not want to see massive "bin" like Unity store have.
                              holy hell when i submit 1 asset i have to fight a lot of problem. (Mostly naming). And then adding voting system to trash my asset ? That i made with sweat and pain ?

and each change took delay for 1 day. No mention the buyer are few in this market

Comment

Originally posted by vincentslee View Post
                                No mention the buyer are few in this market
                                You can ask Amanda.Bott about the correct number, but if Im not wrong there are current 4 million UE4 registered users, a number almost twice the size 1.5 years ago.
                                Nilson Lima
                                Technical Director @ Rigel Studios Ltda - twitter: @RigelStudios
                                Join us at Discord: https://discord.gg/uFFSEXY

UE4 Marketplace: Cloudscape Seasons
                                supporting: Community FREE Ocean plugin

Comment

Working...
                                X