No announcement yet.

Sparse Grid Plugin by Stormtide Ltd.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [WIP] Sparse Grid Plugin by Stormtide Ltd.

Click image for larger version  Name:	SGPluginLogo.png Views:	1 Size:	150.2 KB ID:	1428508

What Is it?
    Sparse Grid is a high-performance spatial sorting system for Unreal Engine 4, allowing developers to perform ultra-fast searches for nearby objects without the need to use collision sweeps or actor iterators.

The plugin quickly integrates into any existing C++ or BP project. Simply use the editor tool to define the play area of your world (or update it on-the-fly), and add the Sparse Grid Component to any actor you want to register with the grid. You can then use the built-in search queries (or write your own) to lookup those actors incredibly quickly.

Why do I need it?
    We use this plugin for all our internal projects - it greatly benefits the following:
    • Any area-based searching (AI, Seeking Projectiles, Damage, Impulses etc.)
    • Large worlds or worlds with high actor counts.
    • Large projects with complex or unique collision settings.
    • Reduces the N2 problem significantly. (Lots of objects all querying lots of other objects)
    • Developers of RTS or similar high-unit-count games.
    • Or if you just need a super-fast way to find nearby actors often!

Technical Details
    • Written entirely in C++
    • Neatly exposed to Blueprint.
    • Built for performance and flexibility. Sorting is extremely fast and transparent, requires no network bandwidth and memory allocation can be carefully tailored to suit each world.
    • Intended for all platforms (Tested on Android, Windows, PS4)
    • Seamless support for Multiplayer, Large Worlds, Streaming Levels, Procedural Worlds and World Composition.
    • Four built-in search queries (Sphere, AABB, Box, Cone).
    • Exposed methods allow you to build you own project-specific search queries (C++ and BP), and benefit from the grids performance.
    • Several UE4 functions rewritten to utilise the plugin.
    • Includes several custom macros for ease-of-use in Blueprint.
    • Extendable API and full source code – customise the plugin to your project needs.
    • Fully documented code. Tutorials and Documentation coming soon!
    • Full support for UE4 profiling tools and includes several custom debugging/monitoring tools, such as heat mapping.
    • E-Mail support.
    • Available for UE 4.18 and above.

What does it include?
    • Sparse Grid World Manager
    • Sparse Grid Actor Component
    • Sparse Grid Editor Toolset & Debugging Tools
    • Sparse Grid Blueprint Macro Library
    • Sparse Grid Blueprint Function Library

Video Tutorials
    [Coming Soon]

Preview Images (More/Updated images coming soon)
    Click image for larger version  Name:	SG_Tool.JPG Views:	1 Size:	34.9 KB ID:	1428509Click image for larger version  Name:	SG_BPNodes.jpg Views:	1 Size:	191.3 KB ID:	1428510Click image for larger version  Name:	SG_Debug.jpg Views:	1 Size:	358.8 KB ID:	1428512
    Last edited by TheJamsh; 02-14-2018, 10:58 AM.

Reserved For Updates

Comment

I am throwing money at the screen but nothing is happening!

Comment

Man, this is awesome! Congrats Can't wait for release
        Realtime Database Firebase | Ultimate Mobile Kit Firebase | Extended Facebook | Universal Mobile Ads | Google Analytics

Comment

Expand this to the third dimension and i'll definitely buy it.
          George Rolfe.
          Technical Coordinator at Orbit Solutions Pty Ltd.

Comment

Originally posted by duke22 View Post
            Expand this to the third dimension and I'll definitely buy it.
            Hey George, It's generally been that case that sorting into the third dimension actually just adds complexity without offering any performance gain (usually the opposite!). Unless you're building a game where you have objects spread in all three dimensions equally (very rare), it's more performant to only sort in 2D!

That said - I could always add 3D sorting if there is enough demand, and allow users to specify whether they want a 2D or 3D grid.

Cheers!
            Last edited by TheJamsh; 02-15-2018, 03:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TheJamsh View Post

Hey George, It's generally been that case that sorting into the third dimension actually just adds complexity without offering any performance gain (usually the opposite!). Unless you're building a game where you have objects spread in all three dimensions equally (very rare), it's more performant to only sort in 2D!

That said - I could always add 3D sorting if there is enough demand, and allow users to specify whether they want a 2D or 3D grid.

Cheers!
              I would like to see 3D Sorting if possible. I am currently building a space combat and trading game and it would be greatly appreciated if that was added

Also I forgot to ask - What is the planned price for this?
              Last edited by HeadClot; 02-17-2018, 07:03 PM.

Comment

Alright folks - I'll look into abstracting the grid and supporting 3D and 2D versions, so you'll have the choice per-world or per-project whether to use a particular kind of grid.

The dilemma is that I'd like to keep the number of virtual calls nice and low, and for 99.99% of games, 2D sorting should suffice and/or be faster - I don't want the majority of titles to pay the extra cost for that 0.01%.

I haven't put much thought into the pricing yet, as I'm still adding features and tools. It won't be expensive, somewhere in the $20-35 USD range if that seems reasonable? It's hard to know how to price things on Marketplace to be honest - I'm not sure how well C++ plugins sell, and it'd be nice to at least break even on the time investment

Working on the tools right now - you can now view density heatmaps for each world

Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	286.6 KB
ID:	1430335

Comment

Good to see that 3D is going to be for this

A day one pick up for me

Comment

Working...
                  X