Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Loading Screen System (Level Transitions w/ Progress)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hammerkeg View Post

- I'm trying to load a level that uses world composition.
    - I have a persistent level into which I added the gameplay level,
    - when I try to load it through the LSS Load Level function, with map settings that have the name of the level set [...] this resulted in unable to load errors
    - however while I do load into the level, none of the world composition sublevels are loaded in.
    - what I would like to do, is just have the LSS system load my world composition level through the loading screen, and the let the level streaming handle the rest.
    - What happens now, however, is that the LSS loads in the parent WC level, but the sub-levels don't even appear at all.

How are the sublevels set up in World Composition? Are they assigned to a Layer with "Streaming Distance" enabled or disabled?
    If assigned to a layer with that setting enabled, WorldComp should load these levels once their bounds are within the distance set.
    If no streaming distance is set/enabled, the levels will wait for blueprint execution.

Could you elaborate on the errors you are receiving? A screenshot would help.
    (i.e. "when I try to load it through the LSS Load Level function, with map settings that have the name of the level set [...] this resulted in unable to load errors")
    - Please check, if all levels are spelled correctly and more importantly: are listed in the "Levels" tab of your root level (this goes for the loading screen scene as well).
    - Do you have a settings file for the loading screen scene, too?
    - Make also sure "Use Map Settings" is enabled on the LSS Actor.

The LSS should load all levels specified in the Settings file, including sublevels, regardless of their World Composition settings.
    Levels not listed in the settings won't be affected at all (i.e. World Composition setup applies and should load any distance based levels).
    Note, that if you were to list all your levels in the settings file, including sublevels, all should be loaded (behind the loading screen), though some of them might immediately get unloaded again by World Composition based on distance (I haven't run explicit tests if that could unload a level midway while it still loads, but I doubt it is the case).
    Keep in mind, that if you only load the gameplay level through LSS, but not your background levels, those level might still not be loaded once the Loading Screen closes.
    Last edited by Cpt.Trips; 11-26-2018, 02:11 PM.
    [Marketplace] Loading Screen System (ᴘʀᴏᴘᴇʀ ʟᴏᴀᴅɪɴɢ sᴄʀᴇᴇɴs, ɴᴏᴡ ᴡɪᴛʜ ᴘʀᴏɢʀᴇss ʙᴀʀs)
    [Free][Script] Automate Download of Mixamo Animations
    [VłĐɆØ] Performance: BP vs C++ vs Blueprint Nativization

Comment

Originally posted by Cpt.Trips View Post
      Keep in mind, that if you only load the gameplay level through LSS, but not your background levels, those level might still not be loaded once the Loading Screen closes.
      This is precisely the case, however, I'm having a hard time finding any info on show a sublevel of a sublevel, so I'll try to ask elsewhere in the UE4 forums whether there is an actual way to do so.

Comment

hello, I have followed the video tutorial to the T and it will not work for me i have no idea what im doing wrong

Comment

Originally posted by Hammerkeg View Post
          show a sublevel of a sublevel,
          Not exactly sure, what you mean by that.
          For World Composition you have to have all maps you wish to use, placed in the same folder (or subfolders thereof) as the root level. WC will add all these maps to the level tab automatically (and you can't add any manually, as you could with WC off).

Could that be the issue here?
          [Marketplace] Loading Screen System (ᴘʀᴏᴘᴇʀ ʟᴏᴀᴅɪɴɢ sᴄʀᴇᴇɴs, ɴᴏᴡ ᴡɪᴛʜ ᴘʀᴏɢʀᴇss ʙᴀʀs)

Comment

Originally posted by Jsoul89 View Post
            hello, I have followed the video tutorial to the T and it will not work for me i have no idea what im doing wrong
            Don't worry, we'll figure it out together - though, I will need a little bit more information from you. Are you experiencing any error messages, by any chance? Is nothing happening at all or what is the current outcome?
            ​​​​Could you post a screenshot of the settings in the LSS Actor`s details - and your levels tab?

​​​​​​Make sure the LSS Actor is placed in the root level and your sublevels have streaming method set to "blueprint".

Comment

It doesnt show any errors and everything works but once the level is loaded which is my main menu, none of my menu widgets show up i will take screen shots now to show what im saying...
              the first one is the loading screen working obviously lol
              the second one is after i press space bar for it to open the main menu

the third photo is what it should look like....i opened up my main menu level by itself and PIE so you can see what it should look like.

thank you for the fast reply also.

Comment

It doesnt show any errors and everything works but once the level is loaded which is my main menu, none of my menu widgets show up
                Can you show me where you create the widget and add it to the viewport?
                On a hunch, does the menu widget, by any chance, rely on a GameMode set for that particular sublevel in its own World Settings?

Keep in mind, that Unreal only uses the GameMode (and thus Player Controller etc.) set in the root level.
                It can't be switched until you'd transition to a different root level by calling OpenLevel.

Note, that while you can't switch GameMode or PlayerController when loading sublevels, there is a custom Pawn Handling component to mitigate this limitation and allow Pawn settings on a per sublevel basis - see example map number 15 and this part of the documentation.

Comment

everything is in the same game mode though so im confused as to what your trying to say

*edit ok yes they are in fact two different game modes between my main menu and my main level.....so i guess i will follow the documentation and report back**
                  Last edited by Jsoul89; 11-26-2018, 11:19 PM.

Comment

Cpt.Trips i have setup what you asked for and while it did work to some extent it is the wrong way in which i need...It loaded my main menu the exact same only difference was that it loaded my base character into the level and he is not needed in that level the Main Menu level is completely UMG based so I am either comlpetely stupid or this just wont work for my application....and im sure im just being completely stupid.

Comment

Cpt.Trips

i have setup what you asked for and while it did work to some extent it is the wrong way in which i need...It loaded my main menu the exact same only difference was that it loaded my base character into the level and he is not needed in that level the Main Menu level is completely UMG based so I am either comlpetely stupid or this just wont work for my application....and im sure im just being completely stupid.
                      This is easy to solve. But first, what is happening: When any Unreal game starts (i.e. you play a level) the Engine will possess a pawn / character for you.
                      This can either be a pawn that is already in the map (you can see this in the Thirdperson Template) or if none is available, the Engine spawns the pawn specified in the Game Mode (that's how the Firstperson template works, for example), at the location of a PlayerStart, or just in 0,0,0.

So in your case, Unreal takes the "Default Pawn Class" in your GameMode and spawns that pawn right at the beginning of the game (as there is nothing else there, we haven't loaded in anything at this point after all). Meaning, your default pawn will get loaded in the empty root level, even before the loading screen appears. You obviously don't need that, as your sublevels will have their own pawns.

So, first thing, go into GameMode and enable "Start Players As Spectators" (as seen in the video)

And also "Delayed Start" if it is in your GameMode (only relevant if you are using the extended GameMode and not the simplified GameModeBase).

With the above, the game will no longer spawn your default pawn at the start.
                      Now, in order to have different pawns in different sublevels (or pawns at all), you have several options:

1. (As seen in the video) Place your desired pawn into the sublevel (make sure the correct sublevel is active in the Levels tab, otherwise you will place it into the root level) and in the pawn's details set "Auto Possess" to "Player 0"

2. From Blueprint. You could use "Spawn Actor From Class" and "Possess" on BeginPlay (or hook it up to one of the various dispatchers that the LSS has available, see demo map "06_AdvancedEventHandling_Map" for examples).

3. LSS has its own Pawn Handling feature that will mimic the default way the Engine spawns Player Characters / Pawns, but on a per sublevel basis. You will need to use a slightly different setup than just filling in level names in the LSS Actor's details, instead, you would create a settings file for each level and feed that to the inputs in the LSS Actor. This feature has been introduced in the last update and is the recommended and most versatile setup.
                      I will link the appropriate part of the documentation below and there's also a whole demo level dedicated to this feature, see \Maps\15_PawnHandling_Map.
                      Last edited by Cpt.Trips; 11-27-2018, 01:07 PM.

Comment

still never got it to work properly for me so im just going to give up on loading screens for now

Comment

still never got it to work properly for me so im just going to give up on loading screens for now
                          I'm sorry to hear that. Whenever you decide to give it another go, you know where to find support.
                          PS: You can also contact me by email at any time if you prefer.

Comment

so i updated my project to 4.20 and when downloading your updated plugin i can not open the zip folder it keeps saying files are corrupt...same for 4.21

Comment

I'm assuming you are referring to the code plugin on itch.io (loading process) and not the system though the epic launcher?

It probably it's a version issue with your WinRar, WinZip or whatever archive software you are using. Latest version of WinRar or 7zip should be able to unpack the archive without issues.

I'll upload an alternative file for you and let you know.

Comment

Thank you and i updated to the latest version of jzip and it still says its corrupt
                                I appreciate you uploading another file for me to try

Comment

Working...
                                X