Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Loading Screen System (Level Transitions w/ Progress)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NitroRobotto View Post
    Hi. I'm having some issues with compiling a packaged build on 4.25. I keep running into this error.
    I have made some progress in identifying the issue and should have a hotfix soon.

[Marketplace] Loading Screen System (ᴘʀᴏᴘᴇʀ ʟᴏᴀᴅɪɴɢ sᴄʀᴇᴇɴs, ɴᴏᴡ ᴡɪᴛʜ ᴘʀᴏɢʀᴇss ʙᴀʀs)
    [Free][Script] Automate Download of Mixamo Animations
    [VłĐɆØ] Performance: BP vs C++ vs Blueprint Nativization

Comment

VR Support? Wanting to use this to create a 3d environment loading screen for VR.

Also, do you need to use level streaming? I cannot for the setup we have.
      Last edited by TSpartanT; 05-14-2020, 12:30 AM.
      Systems Design, Project Management, Level Design

Steam

Comment

Originally posted by TSpartanT View Post
        VR Support? Wanting to use this to create a 3d environment loading screen for VR.
        The Loading Screen System should work properly in VR out of the box, with the exception of the Screen Fade Component, which by default uses a UMG overlay for smooth fade effects. To work with VR the Fade Component has to be set to utilize the PlayerCameraManager class.

In order to use this option set “Use CameraManager (instead of UMG)” on the component to true.
        You can further set the default color of the fade effect as well as have Audio also faded out automatically.

Click image for larger version

Name:	LSS_VR.png
Views:	283
Size:	129.1 KB
ID:	1760921

Originally posted by TSpartanT View Post
        Also, do you need to use level streaming? I cannot for the setup we have.
        Level Streaming is required. You can use multiple persistent levels and transition between those with the standard OpenLevel node, but each level still needs to stream in the transition map and actual game level with your content.
        [Marketplace] Loading Screen System (ᴘʀᴏᴘᴇʀ ʟᴏᴀᴅɪɴɢ sᴄʀᴇᴇɴs, ɴᴏᴡ ᴡɪᴛʜ ᴘʀᴏɢʀᴇss ʙᴀʀs)

Comment

Update resolving 4.25 packaging issues has been submitted.

Edit: as of May 19th the update is still awaiting approval by Epic. Hopefully it won't take much longer...
          Last edited by Cpt.Trips; 05-19-2020, 02:14 PM.

Comment

Hotfix for 4.25 has been finally processed and is now available in the Launcher.

Comment

Hey there,

Just got started with this and I have a question. I have some pretty large levels to load between. I've got it set up to use the level streaming, and am using a 3d level map as the Loading Screen Level with input required to continue.

However, it seems like all the loading is happening after I input on the loading screen level. After I input, I get taken to the black screen where the cogs play in the upper right. After that, the level loads.

My question is, how can I make it so that all the loading happens on the loading screen level, and not after the fact?

Comment

Originally posted by atebb View Post
                However, it seems like all the loading is happening after I input on the loading screen level. After I input, I get taken to the black screen where the cogs play in the upper right. After that, the level loads.

My question is, how can I make it so that all the loading happens on the loading screen level, and not after the fact?
                Input request is only displayed after levels have been loaded. All that happens after the final Fade to Black is setting the visibility of those levels to true.
                The cog animation usually would only occur when some events are bound to this stage (e.g. procedural placement that needs to occur on visible levels but behind loading screen/fade to black).

Can you drop me an email [^] with some screenshots and info about your setup? I'll try to figure out what could be wrong.

Comment

Hello,

I have an issue(s) with what I think has to do with BPC_ScreenFadeComponent. I'm currently using UE 4.23.1
                  The issue I'm having is that sometimes while loading a level, the loading level widget will switch over to the Fade Widget (cogs) and stay on that widget.
                  When this happens, I go into BPC_ScreenFadeComponent and watch to see if events are still firing and they are not.
                  I have been trying to get a consistent repro on this but the only thing I can come up with is that it's most likely tied to CPU load or UE4 not being the focused window.

Repro steps:
                  • Load onto a level using LSS.
                  • While the loading screen is up, and is actively loading, alt+tab to another program on your computer; this will force UE4 into it's "background behavior" (slower fps).
                  • Wait until the fade widget comes up (cogs).
                  • At this point, it will no longer progress, even if you re-focus UE4 as your active program.
                  I have been also semi-successful in just constantly traveling between 2 root levels, with each root having logic to drive LSS loading, but with this method, I haven't been able to have reproducible steps; success rate in repro-ing this issue with this method is around 20%.

I'd appreciate any input you have on this matter.
                  Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by DjSt3rios View Post
                    This system is really cool. However, I realized there is still no multiplayer with this. Is it coming soon or do I have to revert all my changes?(I just finished adding LSS to my game :\)
                    I'm in the same situation. I added this to my game, then read the earlier posts about level streaming. Are there any suggestions for using this with level streaming?

Comment

Originally posted by UnrealNateJ View Post
                      Are there any suggestions for using this with level streaming?
                      Do you mean without Level Streaming?
                      Entirely without, no. You would have to at least embed your actual level (the one containing assets) within an empty root level.
                      You could then, however, transition between two such sets of levels to keep them separate (to use different GameModes, for example).

See this video:

Comment

Originally posted by bruize10 View Post
                        I have an issue(s) with what I think has to do with BPC_ScreenFadeComponent. I'm currently using UE 4.23.1
                        The issue I'm having is that sometimes while loading a level, the loading level widget will switch over to the Fade Widget (cogs) and stay on that widget.
                        When this happens, I go into BPC_ScreenFadeComponent and watch to see if events are still firing and they are not.
                        No activity would be expected in the Fade Component at that point as it is waiting for external event calls.
                        Your levels seem to load correctly in your situation (otherwise, the screen would not go to the fade-out state, at all), but there seems to be a problem with setting them to visible.

While the screen is fully faded to black, levels will be set to ShouldBeVisible=true, when that is carried out by the engine and confirmed to have taken place (OnLevelShown event), the fade will be lifted. One thing I could imagine here is a bug where Unreal doesn't call the OnLevelShown event for levels when running in the background (if that's indeed the case for some odd reason, a workaround wouldn't be terribly hard to implement).

The cogs, btw., are just an additional loading visualization for situations where that fade would take longer than a set number of seconds (usually caused by latent actions in custom events (with "confirmation requirements" enabled), which are bound to the OnAfterLevelShown dispatchers within the LSS).

I'll try to reproduce this issue. Meanwhile, you could place a print string or just a Breakpoint in your level's BeginPlay (Level Blueprint of the map being loaded) and see if it gets executed. If it doesn't, the level never got successfully set to visible.

It would also be helpful to know what LSS events get executed in the loading chain. You can use this to print out those events:

Click image for larger version  Name:	LSSAnyEvent.png Views:	7 Size:	220.9 KB ID:	1780432
                        (In the persistent level where the LSS Actor is located, with "Autoplay" disabled)
                        Last edited by Cpt.Trips; 06-25-2020, 09:39 PM.

Comment

Hey Cpt. Trips,

Have you had the change to reproduce the issue i mentioned above? I had the chance to do your suggestion above and it looks like it gets stuck at "OnLevelShown", or right before it.
                          https://youtu.be/_8v7HPDecEU

Comment

Upon further investigation, I think I found another clue, but I'm not yet completely sure how it all fits. When using map settings that have more than 1 sublevel to load, it seems that all sublevels other than the first (0 index) will send confirmation.

Some context on how my levels are set up.

I have two root persistent levels, and the map settings to use is dynamically chosen based on a variable from player's save data.
                            Each sublevel has it's own map settings, with adjacent sublevels next to it listed as a sublevel in that sublevels map settings.
                            For example, sublevel B is next to sublevel A and C, so the map settings for sublevel B will have sublevels A and C listed as it's sublevel, but sublevel C (and below) will not send confirmation.

Comment

Originally posted by bruize10 View Post
                              Hey Cpt. Trips,

Have you had the change to reproduce the issue i mentioned above? I had the chance to do your suggestion above and it looks like it gets stuck at "OnLevelShown", or right before it.
                              https://youtu.be/_8v7HPDecEU
                              I haven't been able to reproduce the issue on my end.
                              Could you put together a minimalist, asset-free, blank project with just dummy levels and the config files?
                              To see if the issue can be reproduced in isolation from your project and save game code.

Other than that:
                              1. Check if the issue occurs only in the editor or also in Standalone Mode or a packaged bulld.
                              2. In Editor Settings, disable "Use less CPU when in Background" and see if that has any effect.

Comment

Originally posted by Cpt.Trips View Post
                                Update v1.03 has been released Today!

This version introduces Loading Percentage display (Progress Bars) as well as a couple of quality of life improvements (e.g. a Load List of Levels node and Open All Levels On Autoplay option)

IMPORTANT: The new Loading Progress functionality requires the installation of a small code plugin,
                                as this feature is not supported with Blueprint alone. The plugin is available with source and precompiled for Win64.
                                Note: This plugin is only required for this new feature, the Loading Screen System itself will still work without it.

The documentation has been updated to reflect the changes, below are direct links to the most relevant parts thereof.

1. Loading Progress (including Plugin Installation guide)
                                2. Change Log (including all new blueprint nodes)
                                Hello. Please, how recompile LSS Plugin for Mac?

Comment

Working...
                                X