• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The amount of Vertex for a character

Hello programmers and game developers.

I am a 3D artist, these are the packages I made:
    https://www.unrealengine.com/marketp...e/Quang%20Phan

I am making a new package and I created this topic with the desire to upgrade the product better, more suitable for you, help you more convenient during the project development. I'm concerned about the number of vertexes for a character. (Of course, the number of vertexes will make the character more soft, but it will be heavy on the game and I would like to know a relative number for PC and mobile platforms. ). I have consulted a number of forums and there are many comments made but there is no consistency at all, and depending on the Engine they use. Let me know with your Unreal Engine which numbers are the best and most comfortable with you. Thank you and sorry if I post this topic wrong area.

Refers to the field of application, but a higher count makes more sens in details better quality presentation for future projects.
    In 5 years, these models will no longer be able to use in a full price title, but always mobile.
    Especially in terms of photorealism I see a lag here.
    I rely completely on modular cinematic quality that looks good even in 5 years, for mobile you can use simply LOD's.
    One should always remember that products are sold here for lifetime and must provide a certain added value.

Currently GPU's have no problem with 120k-150k polys per character maybe 16 in lower LOD at the same time or more.
    In 2-3 years next generation maybe even 200k-300k polys.
    Drawcall reducing are the secret weapon, and on the roadmap mentions that instanced and merging tools are in the works for skeletal mesh.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by theevil128; 01-14-2018, 10:35 AM.

Comment

Build it to a reasonable level of detail and then go one or two subdivisions higher. Although I'm not sure if it supports skeletal meshes yet, UE's LOD generation tool is quite good at doing quality reductions.

One thing you can do is include the original high detail FBX with your asset. That way the user can use whatever polygon reduction tool they feel comfortable with. Give them options and they'll be happy.
      Last edited by Antidamage; 01-14-2018, 12:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Antidamage View Post
        Build it to a reasonable level of detail and then go one or two subdivisions higher. Although I'm not sure if it supports skeletal meshes yet, UE's LOD generation tool is quite good at doing quality reductions.

One thing you can do is include the original high detail FBX with your asset. That way the user can use whatever polygon reduction tool they feel comfortable with. Give them options and they'll be happy.
        Thanks for your suggestions

Comment

Originally posted by theevil128 View Post
          Refers to the field of application, but a higher count makes more sens in details better quality presentation for future projects.
          In 5 years, these models will no longer be able to use in a full price title, but always mobile.
          Especially in terms of photorealism I see a lag here.
          I rely completely on modular cinematic quality that looks good even in 5 years, for mobile you can use simply LOD's.
          One should always remember that products are sold here for lifetime and must provide a certain added value.

Currently GPU's have no problem with 120k-150k polys per character maybe 16 in lower LOD at the same time or more.
          In 2-3 years next generation maybe even 200k-300k polys.
          Drawcall reducing are the secret weapon, and on the roadmap mentions that instanced and merging tools are in the works for skeletal mesh.

Hope this helps.
          Thank you for your comments, it gives me a lot of confidence, I never made the character exceed 50k, I have not really done a full game and sometimes customers ask to reduce the mesh.

Comment

Working...
          X