No announcement yet.

Marketplace products license question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just hope this don`t make us all greedy and we stop sharing.

Comment

Originally posted by FrankieV View Post
      Oh for crying out loud.
      Can't live with the guidelines set up your own shop and and make up any licensing terms and conditions you wish.
      It's not like we are complaining about set guidelines because we are looking for excuses to not use the marketplace. Quite the opposite, I am really looking forward to it being a great addition to the community and thus I hope to provide suggestions in order to make it the best experience for all parties.

Wait for the marketplace to open and sort it's self out.
      Yes we could all wait, but in the end UE4 is all about community feedback and contribution, so I see nothing wrong with the discussion. Why wait and patch later if you can maybe solve problems in advance?

---

I think a compatibility list would be great. I have already read that several people are not using the latest version of the engine and the licensing encourages one-month subscriptions so I suppose that the divide between used versions and the current will only widen, especially if the majority of users are tinkerers that just want to try things out. It might also happen that an asset is only available for a certain version, but the user wants to know how it is done or is willing to convert the asset themselves.

I myself have bought "deprecated" libraries or software before because there were no newer alternatives. It might not be the best experience and in a perfect world everything would always be up to date, but in the end it is sometimes better to have old tools than no tools at all.

greetings,
      FTC
      Adventure Kit: UDK / UE4
      Buy the Kit: Marketplace
      Scan FX: Marketplace
      www.freetimestudio.net
      [Youtube][Twitter][Facebook]

Comment

Originally posted by WCode View Post
        I just hope this don`t make us all greedy and we stop sharing.
        Most of us here are not greedy at all, and have a great sense of belonguing to a community.
        My case for example, I was going to release my Ledge system fro free. But my wife, that had a "safe" job, got fired and we are struggling to pay our bills right now. And find a new job here is very difficult right now. And I thought a lot about this, because I wanted to release it for free, to contribute for this community as well. And that is why I also open this threads, to contribute some how, to help to mold the way UE and community is shaped.
        Anyway, that is life...
        BASIC version can also be bought on Marketplace.
        PRO version can be bought on my site only.
        www.3dalex.com

Comment

Originally posted by Tim Sweeney View Post
          Thanks for sharing the screenshots. The upcoming Marketplace update has support for a "version compatibility matrix" similar in spirit to what's shown, so that sellers can provide more than one file, with each file listing a range of compatible Unreal Engine versions. When downloading an asset, you can choose which version you want, defaulting to the latest.
          Great!

Originally posted by Tim Sweeney View Post
          With that infrastructure in place for supporting backwards-compatibility, that leaves the policy question of whether assets remain listed for sale when the seller isn't actively maintaining them to be compatible with the latest version. Our policy is to remove obsolete assets from sale, to avoid buyer confusion, and to minimize abandoned-product barriers that prevent developers from upgrading to the latest version of the engine.
          I don't see any problem in letting the product overthere if that product is working with one version of the engine. Perhaps, adding a time limit. If the product is not updated in more than one year, an automatic email is sended to the seller. If he does not responde or update. Then, ok, remove it.
          Last edited by Alex3d; 08-19-2014, 06:35 PM.
          www.3dalex.com

Comment

Originally posted by Alex3d View Post
            I don't see any problem in letting the product overthere if that product is working with one version of the engine. Perhaps, adding a time limit. If the product is not updated in less than year, an automatic email is sended to the seller. If he does not responde or update. Then, ok, remove it.
            As long as there is a search filer, with the default setting being "Compatible with latest version". A version filter is needed anyway, as if your game is using a certain older version it should be easy to find compatible assets.

Comment

Originally posted by HavocX View Post
              As long as there is a search filer, with the default setting being "Compatible with latest version". A version filter is needed anyway, as if your game is using a certain older version it should be easy to find compatible assets.
              Yes, a search system with version filter is necessary. We could also have a Rating system that allows only a buyer to vote on the product, but shows to everyone how many starts and votes that product has. Lets forget this voting thing on Trello.
              www.3dalex.com

Comment

As long we can upload a content only for a specific version of UE4 without it being deleted i think it should be good, Some people just cant keep their subscription always on (Money,Country laws, etc )

Forcing them to keep their content always updated or else it gets deleted seems far too punishing
                Offering my Freelance Game Design ,Counselling and C++ Programming Skills!
                https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...ner-Counseling

Marketplace Assets
                Melee Tracing Plugin:https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...Tracing-Plugin
                Medieval Combat Starter Kit:https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...at-Starter-Kit
                Foliage To Blueprint:https://www.unrealengine.com/marketp...e-to-blueprint

Comment

Originally posted by FTC View Post
                  It's not like we are complaining about set guidelines because we are looking for excuses to not use the marketplace. Quite the opposite, I am really looking forward to it being a great addition to the community and thus I hope to provide suggestions in order to make it the best experience for all parties.

Yes we could all wait, but in the end UE4 is all about community feedback and contribution, so I see nothing wrong with the discussion. Why wait and patch later if you can maybe solve problems in advance?

---

I think a compatibility list would be great. I have already read that several people are not using the latest version of the engine and the licensing encourages one-month subscriptions so I suppose that the divide between used versions and the current will only widen, especially if the majority of users are tinkerers that just want to try things out. It might also happen that an asset is only available for a certain version, but the user wants to know how it is done or is willing to convert the asset themselves.

I myself have bought "deprecated" libraries or software before because there were no newer alternatives. It might not be the best experience and in a perfect world everything would always be up to date, but in the end it is sometimes better to have old tools than no tools at all.

greetings,
                  FTC
                  Fair enough but playing footsie with what many feel is fair terms and conditions I don't think is a good idea and doubt that what would amount to an accommodation is feasible.

The ideal is to be able to browse the marketplace and make a impulse purchase. Someone makes a 5 dollar materials package I/we should only have to push a buy it now button and the transaction is done. Putting obstacles in the way as in to having to make a decision on which version to buy hurts everyone both buyer and seller.

But

To try and be part of the solution how about a different approach to the problem by ways and means?

An item like LC I would consider a big tick item as far as functionality goes so as part of a community based effort to help with the development something like DonationWare, for the lack of a better term, could be established as part of the market place where those wishing to do so could “gift” towards the development of such products to help offset the need for fixed pricing.

It would be kind of like a kickstarter idea but with out all the flash and fluff and I would be more than willing to up a few bucks for features and functions that I know I'll make use of and I'm sure more than a few developers would do so towards any project that they could directly benefit from.
                  Clarke's third law: Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
                  Custom Map Maker Discord
                  https://discord.gg/t48GHkA
                  Urban Terror https://www.urbanterror.info/home/

Comment

The ideal is to be able to browse the marketplace and make a impulse purchase
                    I don't agree with you. On other marketplaces that I already sold other products, this kind of impulse purchase, always ends with the buyer asking for his money back.
                    If this marketplace is suppost to have a great quality of products, with good sellers, the same standard should be required from the buyers as well. People should give at least a second thought when buying something.
                    www.3dalex.com

Comment

Well if we have to show our papers I've been involved in retail for over 30 years and impulse purchase has and will always be the money maker be it the client or customer wants to return the product or not.

AKA buyer remorse is a fact of doing business and not a by product of how products are bought or sold but either way the easier you make it for your client or customer to come to that decision the easier it is for both as to coming up an agreeable price. Everyone asks for the deal.

Now if you do have a high volume of returns that suggest there there is something wrong or unclear as to qualifying customers as to a need either through the lack of information or documentation that is unclear as to usability in relationship to other products of similar type. In other words it's the fault of how something was sold and not the fault of the client or customer.

The bottom line it's a fact that over X amount of sales your going to get X amount of returns which would excluded the majority of those who are happy with their purchase.

People should not have to give it a second though as long as it's made clear to them what they bought fills a need.
                      Clarke's third law: Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
                      Custom Map Maker Discord

Comment

Fair enough but playing footsie with what many feel is fair terms and conditions I don't think is a good idea and doubt that what would amount to an accommodation is feasible.
                        Looking at the various threads that are discussing it and judging from the poll result it seems to me that there are definitly a lot of different opinions and if I have learned anything about public debates, then it is that only a small portion of people will actually participate even though a lot more might share different opinions. Sure, in the end Epic will still do what they think is best, but I have voiced my suggestions that's it.

[...] something like DonationWare, for the lack of a better term, could be established as part of the market place where those wishing to do so could “gift” towards the development of such products to help offset the need for fixed pricing. It would be kind of like a kickstarter idea but with out all the flash and fluff and I would be more than willing to up a few bucks for features and functions that I know I'll make use of and I'm sure more than a few developers would do so towards any project that they could directly benefit from.
                        It would be a nice addition, but it would probably not be a feasable model for most, especially if you need the money. Whenever people are free to choose between paying and not paying the majority will go the free route.

greetings,
                        FTC
                        Adventure Kit: UDK / UE4
                        Buy the Kit: Marketplace
                        Scan FX: Marketplace
                        www.freetimestudio.net
                        [Youtube][Twitter][Facebook]

Comment

I find the results of this poll are potentially misleading. I had not voted, as I suspect many others have not, because my actual vote is "none of the above".

I will not pay $300 for an asset, nor will I ever support per-project licensing. If I had to choose, I'd pick lifetime, but attaching prices to the vote skews the results.

That aside, Epic already has their policies, and they're agreeable to many of us - so there's no need for many of us to 'vote'.
                          Last edited by Rirath; 08-20-2014, 08:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by FTC View Post
                            Looking at the various threads that are discussing it and judging from the poll result it seems to me that there are definitly a lot of different opinions and if I have learned anything about public debates, then it is that only a small portion of people will actually participate even though a lot more might share different opinions. Sure, in the end Epic will still do what they think is best, but I have voiced my suggestions that's it.
                            Oh for sure it's just all good fun over beer and pizza and I'll stick to my original suggestion of waiting until the Marketplace opens before even considering any marketing options. Just a bad idea in general to develop strategy in an open forum.

I as well did not vote as the relevant question as to what motivated the poll in the first place was not asked.

But to break it down here is my logic.

The correct answer to the question is number 2. The reason is simple that it falls with in the current guidelines and is a fair price as to value.

Now lets say that terms and conditions was put into the hands of the merchant.

If so then the correct answer is number one.

The reasoning is both 1 and 2 are the same question as number 3 even though 3 is dressed up as a 9 as far as the idea of a good deal goes it's a bad deal.

Overall 3 is just an runaround bad deal for the buyer if you amortize the price difference with out any additional value added besides unlimited licensing.

Run the numbers.

At a spread of 50 to 300 dollars = 300/50 = 6. So at that pricing a developer would have to release 6 titles, that includes ledge climbing, just to break even and 7 to justify even the smallest of savings. So yeah since I'm cheap 1 is the better deal.

Now the reasoning for waiting is simple. There is not yet any information available at the moment which one can set their fair market price based on the two most important variables.

1) Who is the competition and what are their per unit price?
                            2) How big is the marketplace and what is the expected rate of return?

With out that information you might as well flip a coin. 300 heads 50 tails.

Just saying...over beer and pizza.

Oh by the way how's the Adventure Kit coming along?
                            Custom Map Maker Discord

Comment

Oh by the way how's the Adventure Kit coming along?
                              Adventure Kit is C++, my Ledge Climbing is Blueprint. With C++ you can make dlls, but not with Blueprint. So, I have no way to control what people do with my system, because is BP, so, any type of license will do. Get it?
                              And I think that Adventure Kit will be free.
                              And what that poll has to do with Adventure Kit or my system? Did you took the time to read everything here at this thread? I suggest that you probably need to increase the pizza amount, and reduce the beer.
                              www.3dalex.com

Comment

Sure I did and I might be assuming that the poll relates to what you think is a fair price based on options versus the fact that our team is actually in the market for a ready made ledge climbing system be it BP or C++.

I would think the opinion of someone who may very well be a future customer would have some value even though vast amounts of beer is involved.
                                Custom Map Maker Discord

Comment

Working...
                                X