Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Materials submission and coming soon questions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Materials submission and coming soon questions

    If I were submitting materials can I just submit the uasset(material and texture) files? Anything else necessary for the actual files? Also if you have nothing in the coming soon screenshot selection I assume we just leave that part blank?

    #2
    I would suggest a small example level with at least the same static meshes epic uses to showcase them, as well as set up materials (the more pro the better)
    Preferable also a .psd file so people can edit the textures if needed.

    Comment


      #3
      Originally posted by Luos View Post
      I would suggest a small example level with at least the same static meshes epic uses to showcase them, as well as set up materials (the more pro the better)
      Preferable also a .psd file so people can edit the textures if needed.
      I appreciate your opinion, but I'm wondering from the devs what the actual requirements are, it doesn't specify file type.

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by crumbaker View Post
        I appreciate your opinion, but I'm wondering from the devs what the actual requirements are, it doesn't specify file type.
        .png or .tga are the most common file types used with ue4.
        no compression of course
        preferable size that can be multiplied by two. (though I assume you know this )
        (4,8,16,32,64,128,256,512,1024,2048, 4096 etc.)

        Comment


          #5
          Well to be able to migrate a working asset a small sample scene would be the way to go to see how such materials are used or applied. This is rather important if the material is procedural based or can be used as an instance material. It’s also a good way to archive the asset.

          Also.

          To be useful source materials should be included to maintain the source chain based on the submission guidelines.
          Clarke's third law: Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
          Custom Map Maker Discord
          https://discord.gg/t48GHkA
          Urban Terror https://www.urbanterror.info/home/

          Comment


            #6
            the thing I don't quite get is if uassets are specific to ones project? I wouldn't think so since otherwise we wouldn't actually be able to give materials in their true form to anyone else. I will include my tga files if people wish to use these materials/textures outside of ue4 but I would like to hear specifically from a developer what they want as far as file contents. Is the uasset files the actual requirement for material submissions, and can someone just use these to directly place a material from the folder to the object. To put it in laymen terms if I migrate a file from my materials folder will others be able to use this automatically?

            Comment


              #7
              Well I don't know what you mean as to talking to a developer? Are you referring to someone from Epic?

              If you are talking about someone with development experiences in general I've been doing this game stuff for years and have more than a dozen releases under my belt so I think I would qualify.

              Assets are not bound to a project and can easily be migrated from one project to another so for packaging creating all of your material and textures, models, blue prints, in a single project for presentation and distribution is fine. On the client side its super easy to sort asset into preferred directories with some scene of structure. Bricks goes into bricks and rock goes into rock.

              As the asset and content manager of our group I would want to see the entire asset available in the package laid out in full in project format so that there is no hunting for the mystery meat.
              Clarke's third law: Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
              Custom Map Maker Discord
              https://discord.gg/t48GHkA
              Urban Terror https://www.urbanterror.info/home/

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by FrankieV View Post
                Well I don't know what you mean as to talking to a developer? Are you referring to someone from Epic?

                If you are talking about someone with development experiences in general I've been doing this game stuff for years and have more than a dozen releases under my belt so I think I would qualify.

                Assets are not bound to a project and can easily be migrated from one project to another so for packaging creating all of your material and textures, models, blue prints, in a single project for presentation and distribution is fine. On the client side its super easy to sort asset into preferred directories with some scene of structure. Bricks goes into bricks and rock goes into rock.

                As the asset and content manager of our group I would want to see the entire asset available in the package laid out in full in project format so that there is no hunting for the mystery meat.
                yes someone from epic, all I want to know is if uasset files can be distributed and are all you need to distribute materials.... since they don't specify the file type for (specifically) materials. A ue4 material has blueprint like instructions with metallic and roughness etc, not just talking about textures.

                edit: https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...-and-functions looks like this answered my question, but still would like to hear from epic as to what they want from us exactly to distribute materials. Interesting that a developer mentioned something about t3d that doesn't work...
                Last edited by crumbaker; 08-17-2014, 02:36 AM.

                Comment


                  #9
                  Have you tried Mixamo animation pack?
                  You have an option to "Add this content to project". After this you can find in your project all new content in specific folders. It works like any other content and you will give your material in common way, there is no some specific versions of materials with locked textures
                  SuperGrid: Marketplace Page | Feedback Thread | Demo | Website
                  Level design and prototyping for newbies

                  Comment


                    #10
                    As long as your materials' main folder is located in Content folder you won't have any problem with dependencies. So you wont need to migrate anything but just share that material folder, then the end user will toss it into their Content folder and it will work right away.
                    FREE VR Drum Kit Project
                    FREE Color LUT Collection
                    FREE Physics Driven Spacecraft Project
                    FREE GTA Style Vehicle Interaction
                    Dynamic DoF(Depth of Field)
                    Camera Crossfade

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally posted by Jacky View Post
                      As long as your materials' main folder is located in Content folder you won't have any problem with dependencies. So you wont need to migrate anything but just share that material folder, then the end user will toss it into their Content folder and it will work right away.
                      so are we doing the hosting then? Or is it being uploaded to epic in some way first?

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by crumbaker View Post
                        so are we doing the hosting then? Or is it being uploaded to epic in some way first?
                        There should be the upload section after About You and About Your Submission section i believe. I havent submitted anything yet so i dont know.
                        FREE VR Drum Kit Project
                        FREE Color LUT Collection
                        FREE Physics Driven Spacecraft Project
                        FREE GTA Style Vehicle Interaction
                        Dynamic DoF(Depth of Field)
                        Camera Crossfade

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Good questions. We should write up some more specific documentation on exactly what files to assemble and how to assemble them. In the meantime:

                          You'll be submitting a set of .uasset files containing all of the assets in your collection. You should ensure that these .uasset files can be copied into a new project and that they function properly when that's done, as it's possible for one .uasset file to cross-reference another .uasset file, and in that case the entire cluster of mutually-referenced .uassets must be distributed.

                          You can optionally include the source art for your materials, if it's useful for developers to have more than just the raw, uncompressed bitmap data. For example, if you've built some of your art in a Photoshop .psd file using interesting layer blending, and a user might want to modify that to customize the material, feel free to include the .psd file.

                          You should include a sample scene demonstrating your materials as you intended them to be used, mapped onto appropriate meshes or geometry objects, with appropriate lighting, etc. When your package is put up for voting on the Trello board, this is what people will be looking at to judge quality.

                          See https://www.unrealengine.com/marketp...ion-guidelines for more information.

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X