Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[GAUGING INTEREST] Realtime muscle system

Hi there!
    This is a very rough work (about six hours at all), but it's intresting to me hear yours opinions). This is fully procedural system, which can be used in different kind of projects. Main idea - you animate your character in common manner, al other things system makes for you automatically (both sides of model in video takes the same animation of three bones). Only rotation and scale transformations are used - so there is not a problem to make character with different scaled limbs for example... There will be also the dynamic part to reproduce jiggle and so on. Here is short video:
    Last edited by newfych; 11-01-2017, 06:13 AM.

So we basically provide animations and your system copies the movements? I don't get what's procedural about this. Also, I can't see any use for this yet... But that's mainly because I don't understand what this is about. The title sounds interesting, at least.

Comment

Excuse me for vague explanations... In that video only only collar,shoulder and forearm are animated (like usual). But if you look hard enough - you'll see some secondary motions - bicep, tricep, deltoid, brachialis, pectoralis are animated too... Since I choose female model ( it is more complex, than male) - effect is not pretty representative, but I hope my idea is a little bit more clear for now.
      Last edited by newfych; 10-14-2017, 08:16 AM.

Comment

Inspired by:

and

Last edited by newfych; 10-14-2017, 08:08 AM.

Comment

this looks great but im concerned with how hard it would be to implement on the characters i have in my game. could i just replace the skeleton for the characters im using with your skeleton and it would just work that easy? (im using the default epic skeleton)

Comment

Sorry for the blunt comment but I dont see the point here. In the video in the OP it doesnt really look like much is happening. In the end it seems to be just a few bones driven directly by main bones rotation - which is extremely unstable. The system is way too simple and doesnt seem to provide a clear benefit in terms of deformaiton. This doesnt really fall under the definition for a realtime muscle system. Its neither realtime nor a muscle system. Its more an additional set of bones to improve deformation which in the end need to be baked anyway - is that correct?

Comment

That is a million-dollar question, of course... I'm still haunted by it. Anyway there will be epic's skeleton support of course. But for every different character you must make some tweaks, it's undoubtedly. I start working with this subject just yesterday, so there are many questions to me even from myself )

Comment

As I said in video - there is no baking at all. As for simplicity and unstability - I think theay are mutually exclusive things. It is just an idea for now. Each muscle can be controlled automatically or overriden in runtime for some muscle expressions. So it is muscle and realtime. This is full animation graph of all bones of video scene for them, who know what it is:
                Click image for larger version

Name:	имени-1.jpg
Views:	529
Size:	73.4 KB
ID:	1369294
                Last edited by newfych; 10-14-2017, 08:07 AM.

Comment

Realistic muscular deformation would be useful in a cinematic, but unless it were performance neutral and replicated (even a simulated replication would do) I don't foresee any great advantage in a game, save for the fact that it might add greater verisimilitude to character movements, which is always in demand to provide a more immersive experience.

WIP Thread

Comment

Its a single extra bone that moves vertices in a linear way - thats not a muscle system man.
                    So if it isnt baked either, do you have plug-in for the implementation inside ue4?
                    Or how are you planning to get the animation from maya to ue4 without baking it.

Comment

Respected Adeptus, all existing muscle systems do it as you say - move vertices in a linear way. So what? It is not plugin - there are few math expressions, which can be holded with animation blueprint without problems, and you can edit every parameter as you like via blueprints o Cpp.. As soon as possible I try to show it in more understandable way, with showcase of course..

Comment

I don't like how people seem to be trashing something, that could actually turn out to be very useful.

I don't know how you are going to bring this visual candy to the developers, but you have to consider that not all indie teams can invest time/money into assets, that provide different workflows. That's why most assets on the marketplace are actually the plug-in-and-use kind of asset, where the user does not need to do much to put it to use.

I am interested in your developing asset for now, but only as long as I won't actually have to integrate it into the workflow, incompatible with ready assets from the marketplace.
                        Last edited by rYuxq; 10-14-2017, 03:44 PM. Reason: fixed wrong phrasing in last sentence

Comment

Say so, if you develop some kind of project prototype with epic's mannequin -you probably assume to use others models in the end.. So, as I can support their compatible - it can be useful, Imo.)

Comment

Interested!. You need a demo like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqXN...ature=youtu.be

Comment

So, definitely it's works:

But as for implementing - first, I'm going to make a character, fully compatible with epic's skeleton (I think it was angling for a long time), without extra bones or something else... After that - make fully rigged character with secondary motions, and distribute it as example - for now I wrote macros and functions libraries to hold them. So if you 'll have sample character, and math function and some explanation - I think that is pretty easy to implement this stuff to your needs...
                              Last edited by newfych; 10-19-2017, 03:17 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X