Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good news!

My questions are about versión compability:

What about if i already purchased content lets say on the 4.4 version, some time later i need it working on the new version does developer will have to update his content and make it avaible for every new version? do i have to pay for the new version update? it will be a developer decision or ue4 rules?
    (I think this question are key for content developers and clients)

Comment

Originally posted by Alex3d View Post
      "For every item sold, developers receive 70% of the base price of the item minus any country-specific withholding taxes collected and remitted by Epic".
      Well, really? Then, I still have to pay for the money transfer taxes as well? Really? And Epic can still use whatever I sell it there for their marketing purposes, without paying me for that? Really?

Greed... is the only word that comes into my mind right now.

If Epic wants 30%, at least it should pay half of the taxes as well.
      Well you can sell your items by using other marketplace or maybe create your own, i think their rules are fair for the moment.

Comment

Originally posted by son1cman View Post
        Well you can sell your items by using other marketplace or maybe create your own, i think their rules are fair for the moment.
        Their rules can be fair, but the REVENUE SPLIT is not. I would consider if were 80%.
        And I am really thinking about this, using another or create my own marketplace, since I already did it before.
        Last edited by Alex3d; 08-15-2014, 08:21 PM.
        BASIC version can also be bought on Marketplace.
        PRO version can be bought on my site only.
        www.3dalex.com

Comment

Will management and analytic tools be available to sellers when the Marketplace launches? For example, will I be able to track my portfolio of items available on the marketplace, earnings, payout history, etc.?
          Join Unreal Slackers, the largest Unreal Engine communuty on Discord! → https://unrealslackers.org
          Have a question? Give me a shout on Twitter → https://twitter.com/heypfist

Comment

There's a question: I'm programmer and i'm not bad in reverse engineering. Will it be allowed in the Marketplace to sell code(plugin) which is reverse engineered? Is reverse engineering a shame inside of UE4 community?
            Last edited by es; 08-15-2014, 09:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Tim Sweeney View Post
              When you import a texture and plug it into a material without scaling, it will automatically tile over 1m regardless of the texture resolution. So, in the simple case, you don't need to do any special scaling. As you create more advanced materials with various kinds of UV scaling, then the situation becomes more complex.
              Hello Tim!
              What about detail normal maps?
              I think If I make it 1m by default texture will lose a lot of information, maybe I'm wrong though
              SuperGrid: Marketplace Page | Feedback Thread | Demo | Website
              Level design and prototyping for newbies

Comment

"For every item sold, developers receive 70% of the base price of the item minus any country-specific withholding taxes collected and remitted by Epic".
                Well, really? Then, I still have to pay for the money transfer taxes as well? Really? And Epic can still use whatever I sell it there for their marketing purposes, without paying me for that? Really?

Greed... is the only word that comes into my mind right now.
                If Epic wants 30%, at least it should pay half of the taxes as well.
                Also this:
                "Items sold once are licensed to a buyer (an individual or company) for lifetime use in building and shipping an unlimited number of products, and the buyer may share the items with the buyer’s employees and contractors for the sole purpose of contributing to those products."
                For lifetime use in building and shipping an unlimited number of products? Come on!
                And, why not pay as using our Paypal account?
                I have yet to find an online marketplace (unity asset store, gamedevmarket to name two) where you get more than 70%.
                I was hoping epic would go lower and give us at least 75%, not only would they become more interesting for almost everyone who creates marketplace/gamedev related stuff but give other marketplaces a run for their money.

Oh well

Comment

Originally posted by Luos View Post
                  I have yet to find an online marketplace (unity asset store, gamedevmarket to name two) where you get more than 70%.
                  I was hoping epic would go lower and give us at least 75%, not only would they become more interesting for almost everyone who creates marketplace/gamedev related stuff but give other marketplaces a run for their money.

Oh well
                  Well, I can tell you one: Opencart Extension Store. If you make a module, or plugin or extension and sell it there, they only charges 20% and they pay you using paypal.

So, for 70% only of my work, minus taxes and minus bank transfer(They should use paypal to send us our money instead) taxes, I consider this too little. And they can even use our stuff to marketing without paying us. Can we use Epic brands the same way?
                  And, generally, when we sell something like these kind of stuff here, it has a license for one product only. People buy a model, and it can use only for one game. If they want to use it on another game, they should pay another license again. But no, Epic wants us to license it for life and for any amount of products people do. Do we pay Epic royalties for just only one game and that is it, if we ever release it, or do we have to pay for each game that we make with the engine?

I was going to release the ledge climbing system that I am doing for free here, but my wife got fired, and that made change my mind, because bills are coming in like crazy. So, I decide to sell it for a small price on Marketplace. But in order to really be worth, with this kind of rules and revenue split, it would have to be too expensive.

And we still have this: "All assets must be fully functional with the latest Unreal Engine."

So, if still have be paying Epic for the subscription.
                  Last edited by Alex3d; 08-16-2014, 10:25 AM.
                  www.3dalex.com

Comment

There is one more thing, that I have to bring on. Licensing and pricing.
                    Currently we can sell content only for usage for entire life time. Which is honestly not good.
                    I'm fine for selling asset pack for let's say 29$ for one project (game), but let's say the same studio will use those assets in 10 games.

I mean I sold it only once, and for no that much money anyway.

Now. I have to set price to accommodate for second case, but if it will be to high (299$) less people buy it (for example the ones who want to use it only in one game, or in some demo).

I think there should be two license. One for selling assets for life time usage, and one for selling per project. This way I could set more reasonable price points for both.
                    https://github.com/iniside/ActionRPGGame - Action RPG Starter kit. Work in Progress. You can use it in whatever way you wish.

Comment

Originally posted by iniside View Post
                      There is one more thing, that I have to bring on. Licensing and pricing.
                      Currently we can sell content only for usage for entire life time. Which is honestly not good.
                      I'm fine for selling asset pack for let's say 29$ for one project (game), but let's say the same studio will use those assets in 10 games.

Now. I have to set price to accommodate for second case, but if it will be to high (299$) less people buy it (for example the ones who want to use it only in one game, or in some demo).

I think there should be two license. One for selling assets for life time usage, and one for selling per project. This way I could set more reasonable price points for both.
                      I tend to agree with Iniside on this.
                      And if a company can purchase the package once.. how can we as up-loaders/content creators be sure its an official company and not some rig-rag group of people who pretend as a company so they can share the same file among each other?
                      Last edited by Luos; 08-16-2014, 09:40 AM.

Comment

Well, I can tell you one: Opencart Extension Store. If you make a module, or plugin or extension and sell it there, they only charges 20% and they pay you using paypal.
                        Paying 20% is nice, but how many UE devs will go there to look for things? Selling here in the market, I know my products will be found, which is worth the extra 10% to me.

Comment

Originally posted by jCoder View Post
                          Paying 20% is nice, but how many UE devs will go there to look for things? Selling here in the market, I know my products will be found, which is worth the extra 10% to me.
                          Is worth to have your product sold once, and see a person or a company using it for life, for several games, without paying every time they use it? Hell no!!
                          www.3dalex.com

Comment

Originally posted by iniside View Post

Well this is how the free market system works and a 50% return on your asking price would be considered fair if not outstanding and there are even some asset resources who ask as much as 50%.

The big worry here though is not how much you should be asking for and not how it will be used but what will happen with the rush to market? Its a given that someone will put out something based on the guidelines that will under cut your plans.

Something to keep in mind as well. The only practical reason a developer would buy anything that they could make themselves is if it saves time and if the license restricts the works can only be used base on per title then it will be replaced with company owned IP long before the next title.

As for tier licensing I think it is a bad idea and our group has already decided to excluded such items to be included as part of our main catalog and already had bad experiences as to what can or can not be used.

Something else to keep in mind. No one knows what will happen with the Market Place, not even Epic, so first adopters should only post items to test the waters so to speak with low cost items that they can afford to sell cheap or even give away for free and wait a bit with the good and expensive stuff.

Someone puts out a fully implemented movement system under the current fair use policy as to use in any game title adjusted to $299, and no one is doing it better or cheaper, then I would say that would be a fair price taking into consideration the cost in development time would/could be 100 times the cost.

The long way of saying don't rush but wait and see.
                            Clarke's third law: Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
                            Custom Map Maker Discord
                            https://discord.gg/t48GHkA
                            Urban Terror https://www.urbanterror.info/home/

Comment

There should be two types of license, por use once for each game, and another one for lifetime that would be more expensive. This way, people would buy what they need.

And we should also have an option to target to each version of the engine our product is.
                              For example: My Ledge Climbing System works with UE4.2 and UE4.3. I just finished testing with UE4.4 and it does not work ( And I need to figure out why ). So, when uploading a content, I could choose the version that it would work with. And, after having finishing to make it work with the UE4.4, I would go and uploading it also.

So, when a person would go to buy my product, that person would see something like this:
                              This product works with the following UE versions:
                              UE 4.2
                              UE 4.3
                              www.3dalex.com

Comment

To be honest, I wouldn't spend in something I can only use for one game. I can imagine that this is the position of most potential buyers. As for the pricing, the market itself will determine the optimum cost.

In regards to constant updates, I think that high quality standards is a necessity. Having a plugin that only works for last year's UE4 version is the same as having static meshes with incorrect UV mapping.

Comment

Working...
                                X