Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mesh to terrain Converter

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #16
    Cool. I've been waiting for ages for something like this.

    Comment


      #17
      Originally posted by remvul01 View Post
      Cool. I've been waiting for ages for something like this.
      Glad it helped you out!
      Check out my 2D Platforming Kit!
      Check out my Stylized Woodland Environment
      Check out my Random Item Generator
      Check out my P
      ixel Platformer Tileset
      Check out my Mesh to Terrain Converter

      Comment


        #18
        NM, had to turn it on in the Plugins section :P
        Last edited by HappyEngine; 01-16-2018, 06:50 PM.

        Comment


          #20
          So does this support "Over Hangs"?

          Comment


            #21
            Hi, this plugin exists for mac?

            Comment


              #22
              Originally posted by Draven_lock View Post
              So does this support "Over Hangs"?
              Hey,
              Unfortunately it does not. It's still bound to the rules of the unreal terrain system.
              Check out my 2D Platforming Kit!
              Check out my Stylized Woodland Environment
              Check out my Random Item Generator
              Check out my P
              ixel Platformer Tileset
              Check out my Mesh to Terrain Converter

              Comment


                #23
                hello, i bought ur plugin, but when i import mesh, height map resolution is invalid.. and i cant press import.. i just import simple plane
                help me

                Comment


                  #24
                  Having the same issue as dinka, though I'm guessing that's due to the 8mb mesh limit. It may be better to set that limit within the editor so the user can toggle the limit on/off or at least leave it for the user's discretion what file size (how detailed) the terrain should be with warnings of going over 8mb, I've always seen Mesh to Terrain assets as a way of retaining important details that can sometimes be lost in heightmap conversions- having to lower the mesh to 8mb makes the plugin less useful for uses like my own where I'm recreating a terrain/environment 1:1 with a real location. I understand I can change that in the cpp file but would have been nice to have that support out of the box.

                  Comment


                    #25
                    Have you tried importing a curved mesh and see how well the landscape conforms to the shape? I've been trying to figure out a way to curve the landscape more. Not into a sphere, but just a slight bulge.
                    -TorQueMoD
                    www.torquemod.com

                    Comment


                      #26
                      Originally posted by orbobservation View Post
                      Having the same issue as dinka, though I'm guessing that's due to the 8mb mesh limit. It may be better to set that limit within the editor so the user can toggle the limit on/off or at least leave it for the user's discretion what file size (how detailed) the terrain should be with warnings of going over 8mb, I've always seen Mesh to Terrain assets as a way of retaining important details that can sometimes be lost in heightmap conversions- having to lower the mesh to 8mb makes the plugin less useful for uses like my own where I'm recreating a terrain/environment 1:1 with a real location. I understand I can change that in the cpp file but would have been nice to have that support out of the box.
                      Hey,
                      I have since updated the plugin and you can set the max size directly in the editor under the plugin section
                      Check out my 2D Platforming Kit!
                      Check out my Stylized Woodland Environment
                      Check out my Random Item Generator
                      Check out my P
                      ixel Platformer Tileset
                      Check out my Mesh to Terrain Converter

                      Comment


                        #27
                        Originally posted by TorQueMoD View Post
                        Have you tried importing a curved mesh and see how well the landscape conforms to the shape? I've been trying to figure out a way to curve the landscape more. Not into a sphere, but just a slight bulge.
                        Can you explain a bit more? I'm not sure I follow. Do you mean the concept of overhangs?
                        Check out my 2D Platforming Kit!
                        Check out my Stylized Woodland Environment
                        Check out my Random Item Generator
                        Check out my P
                        ixel Platformer Tileset
                        Check out my Mesh to Terrain Converter

                        Comment


                          #28
                          Originally posted by axell699 View Post

                          Can you explain a bit more? I'm not sure I follow. Do you mean the concept of overhangs?
                          If there's 2 or more z points at the same x-y coords. Heightmaps image files just can't do this as far as I have found.

                          Comment


                            #29
                            I'm having trouble with this importer.

                            I create the mesh in Blender and export it as an FBX.

                            Image 1 shows my mesh imported using the normal UE4 FBX importer.

                            Image 2 shows the wireframe version.

                            Image 3 shows the FBX to Landscape importer settings.

                            Image 4 shows the wireframe version of the FBX to Landsape mesh.

                            What am I doing wrong?






                            Comment


                              #30
                              I've been testing your plugin and would like to share my opinion, I extracted the landscape from Fallout 4
                              Prewar Sanctuary. and welded the tile vertices applied a mesh smooth then cut into 90 tiles.

                              Then Imported each fbx tile at 100% z scale, and exported each one created a bounding box. Used an online percentage calculator
                              to calculate the original terrains height for each tile.

                              x0_y0
                              Original Height 797.0469
                              100% Z Height 51048.4375
                              Percentage 1.5613541550610635%

                              Having the terrain cut into tiles gives a more accurate denser mesh, Do you think it would be possible to try adding some form of world composition
                              function. maybe read transforms from a text file to get the z scale and fixing the seams.

                              Click image for larger version

Name:	1.png
Views:	29
Size:	539.7 KB
ID:	1572298
                              The right is my original mesh.
                              Click image for larger version

Name:	2.png
Views:	28
Size:	245.3 KB
ID:	1572299

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X