Menu Starter Kit

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BarisT View Post
    Thanks, so you add the German translation, via localization dashboard, correct?
    Correct, German or any other language you want to support. The localization dashboard is a bit buggy sometimes, so best translate only a few texts first and see if it works.

Comment

Thanks, I'm doing good with your plugin everything seems well commented
      However, I got lost in the DT_General settings a bit, since I wanted to use the function ReadIniValue and wanted to call it from level blueprint.
      Would you please show a simple trigger of events based on, let's say "difficulty settings", like just an example of it to call from level blueprint...
      Based on the 0 or 1 value, to display different condition. I did try using ReadIniValue with switch on string but couldn't make it work.

Where are these inis located, couldn't find the usual folder?

What am I asking is a simple example of "ReadIniValue" how to implement is in level blueprint. Like based on "difficulty value", let's print different texts.

Comment

if I wanted to use the IsDestroyed variable to save actors as destroyed on reload , the array with actor ID's , would it need to be a Boolean as well, an integer? Name?
        Last edited by razmaz51; 06-28-2018, 05:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BarisT View Post
          Thanks, I'm doing good with your plugin everything seems well commented
          However, I got lost in the DT_General settings a bit, since I wanted to use the function ReadIniValue and wanted to call it from level blueprint.
          Would you please show a simple trigger of events based on, let's say "difficulty settings", like just an example of it to call from level blueprint...
          Based on the 0 or 1 value, to display different condition. I did try using ReadIniValue with switch on string but couldn't make it work.

Where are these inis located, couldn't find the usual folder?

What am I asking is a simple example of "ReadIniValue" how to implement is in level blueprint. Like based on "difficulty value", let's print different texts.
          The general settings save the selected index to the ini file. So if your values for difficulty are "Easy", "Medium" and "Hard" and you select "Hard", then "2" will be saved to the ini. In your level blueprint, read the ini value and switch over it (case 0, case 1, case 2, ..., case n). Case 2 would equal difficulty "Hard" in this example. You can find the ini files in the saved directory of your project or AppData for packaged games. I can extend the docs to add an example, don't know when I will come to this though.

Originally posted by razmaz51 View Post
          if I wanted to use the IsDestroyed variable to save actors as destroyed on reload , the array with actor ID's , would it need to be a Boolean as well, an integer? Name?
          An ID is a unique identifier for each actor. You can use any variable type you want, but usually strings or numeric values are used. If you want to use a boolean, you can have max 2 actors (one for value true, one for false).
          Last edited by DarthWayne; 06-29-2018, 07:02 AM.

Comment

DarthWayne, thanks for the suggestion, I'm doing exactly what you say, trying to switch from strings based on ini values. I check that ini values both in editor gameplay and cooked game are not updated properly(I have to exit and re-enter game to see that the value changes in ini files)

This is my simple set up. I just wanted to turn a light on if the subtitles on settings is read from general settings. It doesn't work, even in the cooked game, even if I select "subtitles off", the light is turned on, which it shouldn't?

Unless I didn't understand what you are suggesting by "switch over with cases"...please help:

Click image for larger version  Name:	Untitled1.jpg Views:	1 Size:	134.6 KB ID:	1495489Click image for larger version  Name:	Untitled2.jpg Views:	1 Size:	137.1 KB ID:	1495490

Comment

Well, as usual, 15 minutes after posting you always figure out the solution. My inital set up is wrong. Here is what I did and it works. Didn't test it in the cooked game though.
              Click image for larger version  Name:	Untitled3.jpg Views:	1 Size:	199.3 KB ID:	1495503

Comment

Why don't I save my character coordinates on the map ?

Comment

Hi, how do I tweak the default scalability settings so the players don't experience too slow main menu when they first run the game?

Comment

are you going to update to 4.20?

Comment

Hi,
                      I ran into the following messages when trying to compile a 4.19 project that DOES NOT use the menu starter kit. How can I fix this so I can compile my game again.

LogPackageName: Error: DoesPackageExist: DoesPackageExist FAILED: '/MenuStarterKitPlugin/MenuStarterKit/Tutorials/BP_Tutorial01MainMenuLevel' is not a standard unreal filename or a long path name. Reason: Path does not start with a valid root. Path must begin with: '/Engine/', '/Game/', '/Paper2D/', '/CryptoKeys/', '/DatasmithContent/', '/MediaCompositing/',
                      LogPackageName: Error: DoesPackageExist: DoesPackageExist FAILED: '/MenuStarterKitPlugin/MenuStarterKit/Tutorials/BP_Tutorial01MainMenuLevel' is not a standard unreal filename or a long path name. Reason: Path does not start with a valid root. Path must begin with: '/Engine/', '/Game/', '/Paper2D/', '/CryptoKeys/', '/DatasmithContent/', '/MediaCompositing/',
                      MapCheck: Map check complete: 0 Error(s), 0 Warning(s), took 392.744ms to complete.
                      LogTemp: IPP ERROR: Could not find provision directory 'C:\Users\Bruce Oberleitner\AppData\Local/Apple Computer/MobileDevice/Provisioning Profiles/'.
                      UATHelper: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)): LogPackageName: Error: DoesPackageExist: DoesPackageExist FAILED: '/MenuStarterKitPlugin/MenuStarterKit/Tutorials/BP_Tutorial01MainMenuLevel' is not a standard unreal filename or a long path name. Reason: Path does not start with a valid root. Path must begin with: '/Engine/', '/Game/', '/Paper2D/', '/CryptoKeys/',
                      UATHelper: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)): LogPackageName: Error: DoesPackageExist: DoesPackageExist FAILED: '/MenuStarterKitPlugin/MenuStarterKit/Tutorials/BP_Tutorial01MainMenuLevel' is not a standard unreal filename or a long path name. Reason: Path does not start with a valid root. Path must begin with: '/Engine/', '/Game/', '/Paper2D/', '/CryptoKeys/',
                      PackagingResults: Error: DoesPackageExist: DoesPackageExist FAILED: '/MenuStarterKitPlugin/MenuStarterKit/Tutorials/BP_Tutorial01MainMenuLevel' is not a standard unreal filename or a long path name. Reason: Path does not start with a valid root. Path must begin with: '/Engine/', '/Game/', '/Paper2D/', '/CryptoKeys/', '/DatasmithContent/', '/MediaCompositing/
                      PackagingResults: Error: DoesPackageExist: DoesPackageExist FAILED: '/MenuStarterKitPlugin/MenuStarterKit/Tutorials/BP_Tutorial01MainMenuLevel' is not a standard unreal filename or a long path name. Reason: Path does not start with a valid root. Path must begin with: '/Engine/', '/Game/', '/Paper2D/', '/CryptoKeys/', '/DatasmithContent/', '/MediaCompositing/
                      UATHelper: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)): LogCook: Display: Cooking /Engine/EditorResources/LightIcons/S_LightError -> E:/Unreal/Unreal Engine 4 Projects/US0518/Saved/Cooked/WindowsNoEditor/Engine/Content/EditorResources/LightIcons/S_LightError.uasset
                      UATHelper: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)): LogSavePackage: Display: Finished SavePackage E:/Unreal/Unreal Engine 4 Projects/US0518/Saved/Cooked/WindowsNoEditor/Engine/Content/EditorResources/LightIcons/S_LightError.uasset
                      UATHelper: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)): LogInit: Display: Warning/Error Summary (Unique only)
                      UATHelper: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)): LogInit: Display: LogPackageName: Error: DoesPackageExist: DoesPackageExist FAILED: '/MenuStarterKitPlugin/MenuStarterKit/Tutorials/BP_Tutorial01MainMenuLevel' is not a standard unreal filename or a long path name. Reason: Path does not start with a valid root. Path must begin with: '/Engine/', '/Game/', '/Paper2D/'
                      UATHelper: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)): LogInit: Display: Failure - 3 error(s), 449 warning(s)
                      UATHelper: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)): ERROR: Cook failed.
                      UATHelper: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)): AutomationTool exiting with ExitCode=25 (Error_UnknownCookFailure)
                      PackagingResults: Error: Unknown Cook Failure

Comment

I have not had this issue but Look on page 2 of this thread, same issue is mentioned , seems that tutorials can be deleted. There is more info there as well.

Comment

I think the problem is the length of the pathname. As for why it's looking for the tutorial level, maybe it's because I transferred some projects from 4.18 to 4.19. Maybe this process changes things so that the tutorials levels that where required in 4.18 are now needed to 4.19 because the copied project brought that information to 4.19.

Comment

Originally posted by tongucci View Post
                            Hi, how do I tweak the default scalability settings so the players don't experience too slow main menu when they first run the game?
                            The menu itself should not be slow. Do you have a big or complex main menu level? If your game needs some more time to load you can show a loading screen for a few seconds after the main menu levels begin play event.

Originally posted by razmaz51 View Post
                            are you going to update to 4.20?
                            I have some packaging issues with 4.20 that I have to resolve first. So far it looks like a possible solution for these issues is to move the whole plugin (not only the content, but also the C++ code etc) into the project folder, but this is a bit hacky so I want to do some more research for a nicer solution before I submit the update to Epic.

Originally posted by Demolition Man View Post
                            I think the problem is the length of the pathname. As for why it's looking for the tutorial level, maybe it's because I transferred some projects from 4.18 to 4.19. Maybe this process changes things so that the tutorials levels that where required in 4.18 are now needed to 4.19 because the copied project brought that information to 4.19.
                            You posted a similar error log in page 6 of this thread. Didn't the solution work for you?

Try to move your project to a shorter file path, e.g. from "C:/Users/xy/Documents/Unreal Projects/Test/Whatever/My Project" to "C:/My Project". If the errors don't go away you probably have some references to the tutorial blueprints somewhere in your project data. There was a similar issue on page 2 of this thread. I removed the tutorial blueprints for this exact reason.

Originally posted by DarthWayne View Post

I tried around a bit and I think I found what causes your issue: Did you have the plugin enabled, maybe start the editor tutorial and THEN disable it? That's the only way I could reproduce the issue. Looks like the editor does not remove the tutorial reference when the plugin is disabled.

After a lot of trial and error I found a way to fix this: You have to delete some files in your AppData directory. I don't know which files exactly, as I just deleted all files and folders related to UE4 I could find in ...\AppData\Roaming and ...\AppData\Local.

Note: If you delete these files you have to recompile all shaders, which can take some time and your first build afterwards will probably also take longer.

Comment

Great menu system! I'm having a bit of a problem, though. As a test, I added this to the TwinStickBP template and changed the TwinStickExample level name to "Level01." If launching the level through from the Menu via the New Game button, everything works as expected.

However, when working in the level itself, when PIE, no controls, inputs, etc. work regardless of World Settings, or changing Game Modes, etc. in Maps and Modes in the Project Setting. (Unless I missed something.)

This is inconvenient if you are making numerous changes in a level and testing as you go as it would require closing the current level opening the MainMenuLevel to launch the level every time. Please advise how to correct this, if possible, thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by DarthWayne View Post

The menu itself should not be slow. Do you have a big or complex main menu level? If your game needs some more time to load you can show a loading screen for a few seconds after the main menu levels begin play event.
                                What I meant by that is because of the 3D scene at the background of the main menu, some slow systems can provide low fps. This usually happens in my games since they are demanding. So I'd like to know how to set the default settings like Shadow Quality and similar for the game to be ran for the first time. Maybe I'd set them all to High instead of Ultra. Or adjust them individually. Is there any way to tweak those default settings?

Comment

Working...
                                X