No announcement yet.

Cloudscape Seasons - v1.2d

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Im going to release an executable for you all to test the package. You will be able to change several settings which affects performance and quality for the clouds. This will be a good way for you to test into your equipment and stablish a baseline for other hardware setup types. I will also update the package to include the map used in this executable, so everyone that has bought it already will be able to see what was done in each scenario.

Cheers!

PS: just placing some controls in a setttings menu for ppl to try different resolutions, fps limits, and the material parameters related to quality and performance. For the moment I'm reaching 100-130 FPS with full coverage of Cumulus clouds with full details (Coverage = 1) with 32GB FX9370 at 3.6GHz (turbo at 4GHz) and GTX 1080 at 1633 GHz core speed.
    Last edited by NilsonLima; 02-07-2018, 05:15 PM.
    Nilson Lima
    Technical Director @ Rigel Studios Ltda - twitter: @RigelStudios
    Join us at Discord: https://discord.gg/uFFSEXY

UE4 Marketplace: Cloudscape Seasons
    supporting: Community FREE Ocean plugin

Comment

A new package with performance improvements and 3 new tweaking parameters will be submitted to MP as soon our internal testings finish.

The project source files for the application mentioned in the previous post will be available for download as torrent, so the people which has purchased the assets can check how it was done. (source will be stripped of the asset, so it is necessary to install via launcher or copied inside).
      Nilson Lima

Comment

FAQ updated at posts 23-24-25.
        Nilson Lima

Comment

Can somebody compare this asset's performance with trueSKY's performance?
          Also, is it possible to make clouds like in Witcher 3 with this? Like this http://cdn.wccftech.com/wp-content/u...cher-3-104.jpg or this http://egbw50ulcfs0vaux.zippykid.net...6-481484-3.jpg
          I know they look like normal clouds, but the lighting is not.

Comment

rYuxq, once the executable is ready for me to post here, you can generate yourself the performance results. Also, I think there is a TrueSKY demo plugin you can install and once you ask for a demo key you can play with it. As for the clouds like Witcher 3, my answer is that Cloudscape Seasons you model the cloud shapes to look like what you want... it is not as easy saying as doing it, but Im working with a series of material instances to provide ready to use most common cloud shapes. It is good to know that you want this specific look, so I can work this one too. Bare with me for a little more time and you will have all your answers... that I think is what many want too.
            Nilson Lima

Comment

There is a preview on the application showing the product working (via google drive): here

We are finishing up the second Settings Tab with cool stuff there as you can see already by the prototype. The performance with GTX 1080 shows solid 120+ FPS at full Epic settings and with full coverage of Cumulus, Stratus or Cumulonimbus clouds. The setting Visual Effects must remain at least at Epic, otherwise you can't visualize the cloudscape, so if you drop the other settings to High, Mid or Low, you can get even better performance but everything else except the cloudscape will have the details dropped. Once the second tab is finished you will have separate performance and details settings to play with.

Soon going to repost when the final settings are ready.
              Last edited by NilsonLima; 12-29-2018, 03:48 PM.
              Nilson Lima

Comment

Will there be an alternative download link?

Comment

Originally posted by rYuxq View Post
                  Will there be an alternative download link?
                  I will send you a priv message in a few
                  Nilson Lima

Comment

Working on a performance improvement (3 new exposed parameters), new settings for Ground Shadows (another 3 exposed parameters) and a blueprint to help scalling performance settings, to be released as update in a few days and the final version for the executable (which will go with source code except the cloudscape asset ofc) with several ways to analyze the performance for the package and help the users to setup correctly the assets among different performance settings (low, mid, high, epic, etc) and which will be a complete scene, with landscape with several paint layers, trees, grass & flowers, rocks, birds, insects, lake, postprocess and volumetric fog. Wait a little longer that it will worth.

Thanks for your support!
                    Nilson Lima

Comment

Looking nice!
                      Quarry Cliffs | Modular Cliffs | Modular Desert Ruins | Realistic Rocks

Comment

Hello,

I got a question related to this product : I watched your videos, and I didn't see any video showing a flight through the clouds. I am curious about the results. Also, I wondering the impact on performance (I imagine there can be many pixel overdraw at close range). Would it be possible to provide some information about this use case (for example, as used in a flight-sim, or for ground level clouds).
                        Regards,

Comment

Originally posted by FreemanCIT View Post
                          Hello,

I got a question related to this product : I watched your videos, and I didn't see any video showing a flight through the clouds. I am curious about the results. Also, I wondering the impact on performance (I imagine there can be many pixel overdraw at close range). Would it be possible to provide some information about this use case (for example, as used in a flight-sim, or for ground level clouds).
                          Regards,
                          Hello, thanks for your intereset on the asset.

The clouds use raymarching to be drawn into a mesh cube. The action occurs inside this cube, so the material is drawn on its inside. The material is complex with a large number of instructions, and you specify the amount of samples from the procedural textures's density you want per pixel at camera fustrum. This amount of samples is called Raymarch Steps, you also can specify the amount of steps the code will use on the shadowing, so there is a product between RaymarchSteps and RaymarchShadowing Steps. Despite the amount of steps used, the GPU will only draw the amount of pixels from the camera perspective. So, a flight inside the clouds is cheaper because you are close to them or even inside, so I stop raymarching as soon I reach full density. The camera movement inside the clouds might produce artifacts depending on the speed, and since it is cheaper draw the clouds while passing inside them, you can increase the RaymarchSteps while flying moving into its direction and when inside.

There is an old video which I show the feature of flying by them: https://youtu.be/rkSBIx_rZjc and Im also preparing a demo executable where you can fly inside the clouds and there is also a high density florest. The demo will be done till Friday November 17th. Also there is a preview of this demo, with an empty landscape at the 1st post.

The best use case for the asset is from the ground level clouds. My intention is to produce a cloudscape as good as the one you can see in the game Horizon: Zero Dawn. So it is still being perfected to that point, but the result up to now is very pleasing. For flight simulator it still needs improvements, for example: I still need to change the shader to work on a curved mesh instead of a box mesh. This would significantly reduce the area GPU would care to evaluate. You can use it as it is for a flight simulator, making the mesh really big and moving this mesh along with the Character. The main material is already set to be able drawn the clouds seamlessly during the flight,

I hope I could answer your doubts. I would really appreciate you considering the purchase, because the product is still young and will be receiving updates to improve for sure, and now it is quite cheap, with its price probably increasing as soon it reaches maturity.

Cheers!
                          Last edited by NilsonLima; 11-15-2017, 01:39 PM.
                          Nilson Lima

Comment

Trying hard (two heads actually thinking) to fix an issue with scalability, where when you change it to anything lower than Epic, the clouds disappear. During this investigation we found out that the issue is not with the main material (where there are mostly HLSL code), but something related to the Render Targets. So, for now we are looking deep into the engine source code to figure this out and while doing this we made accidentally a discover that will improve the shader a bit regarding performance and also what we can call version 2.0 with great looking clouds!
                            Nilson Lima

Comment

Finally got an understanding of whats going on regarding the scalability settings... and made a solution for it... the best possible... but felt into the asset not working with blueprint nativization when project is packaged... but still works perfectly in editor. So, this will be the final solution for now (Im marking the blueprints affected as not nativizationables) and I will submit two bug reports in the hope the engine developers fix them: one for the scalability (just reporting, not affecting the product anymore) and one for the nativization issue.

Now, I will start mounting a package for submission which will include:
                              - the scalability settings working for all modes: low, mid, high and epic
                              - new moon pictures (real ones, not painted ones)
                              - 1 new blueprint, 2 new blueprint interfaces, some structures and enumeration types along
                              - 5 new settings to help with increasing performance
                              - small video showing the differences and how to use the new settings/blueprint

Once the package is submitted, I will post the final executable demo (already using the fixes and settings above) and also posting a small video (I promisse) covering the demo, why it was made the way it is, explain the conclusions behind it and also show a mechanics I have developed to create another auxiliary blueprint which drives the main blueprint and sets automatically everything necessary to automatically set performance modes for the cloudscape system as: low, mid, high, epic, cinematic and insane profiles. This mechanic automatically changes not only the scalar settings, but the materials, texture sizes, and allows two scalar to control independently the performance and details. This blueprint will be given for free for everyone that has purchased the CloudscapeSeasons asset sending for everyone the source code for the demo mentioned, since it was used there... just send me the purchase ticket copy to my e-mail: nilson.fe.lima@gmail.com

Cheers and happy thanksgiving for all!
                              Last edited by NilsonLima; 12-29-2018, 03:50 PM.
                              Nilson Lima

Comment

I have just upload the video for the version 1.1 explaining the changes for the asset and the motivations and explanations for the executable demo that I will upload next. The video is 1h45min long, but it has a lot of useful information for those who made the store purchase and might also be interesting for those using render targets into their projects because Im showing how I have addressed some issues during the project. The demo is very big, since it has a lot of assets, but if you really want to try it after watching the video, I think you should, it will worth the experience in my opinion.

new video:

demo will be next after 1 hour or so after this post.
                                Last edited by NilsonLima; 02-07-2018, 02:10 PM.
                                Nilson Lima

Comment

Working...
                                X