Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Marketplace Content - What would you like to see from the community?

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Spyridon View Post
    the biggest weakness of UE4 is the netcode
    Compared to what game engine shipping with networking built in?
    Photon is worse.
    RakNet is worse.
    Lidgren is worse.
    ENet is much lower level.

Maybe Roblox? Roblox networking is actually pretty **** awesome for what they do, because they network literally tens of thousands of rigid bodies, yet levels load reasonably quickly.
    It'll be interesting to see if networked Chaos will get in that same ballpark!

Comment

Originally posted by jwatte View Post

Compared to what game engine shipping with networking built in?
      Photon is worse.
      RakNet is worse.
      Lidgren is worse.
      ENet is much lower level.

Maybe Roblox? Roblox networking is actually pretty **** awesome for what they do, because they network literally tens of thousands of rigid bodies, yet levels load reasonably quickly.
      It'll be interesting to see if networked Chaos will get in that same ballpark!
      As I've specified, I'm specifically commenting on non-typical FPS/3rd person action games. Using the examples of fighting games for rollback netcode (as used in fighting games), and driving games.

Regarding fighting games:

Delay-based netcode is simply not accepted by players. It technically "works", but there's a reason that once Covid hit, these games are no longer playable in the competitive scenes, and the only ones that actually are thriving in the current climate are GGPO-based Rollback implementations. You can read more about it here: https://www.ggpo.net/

This means typical corrections you find on authoritative servers is unacceptable, and delay based netcode is unacceptable. Both have been tried, and proven to not perform well in practice.Even "strong" delay based implementations such as Dragon Ball FighterZ, you can take a look in to their communities and polls and see the #1 complaint is the netcode.

The requirements (as mentioned in the coverage of GGPO) typically need full determinism in the engine. This is a huge obstacle in UE4, and to my knowledge, no developers have solved this problem yet.

This problem has been solved in Unity, and you can use Power Rangers: Battle for the Grid as a perfect example.

You can also refer to Keits, one of the developers on Killer Instinct, recently posted on Twitter about difficulties of implementing this style of netcode in UE4.

Regarding driving games:

As documented here: https://forums.unrealengine.com/unre...15#post1754655

There's no known implementations of client side prediction that perform well using the vehicle system yet with UE4. The only ones who have been known to have done it were done by switching to Bullet physics (such as Rocket League) and that was with UE3 and not UE4. In short, this is a problem that has yet to have been solved.

Regarding both of these genres:

The common denominator here is both have problems that haven't been solved as of yet in UE4. UE4 can't easily be used for either of these genres, which in my opinion, is a huge setback. I'm honestly a bit surprised as to why this is in question, as it's near impossible to make a multiplayer game that performs acceptable in UE4 in the current state.

Isn't a limitation of online games in these genres something that should be improved upon? If not by Epic directly, then by either a community effort and/or developers on the marketplace that would be interested in trying to solve these issues?

Comment

Hello, I'm quite new here...

One thing I need at the moment is an A.I. Blimp

Comment

Looking around the Marketplace I notice there are a lot of foliage options, none for a desert/arid landscape though? Landscape materials maybe, but not optimized shrubs for an arid climate.

This is when someone points out that deserts don't have grass, watch this space...

Comment

Hello, I'm a music creator. I sell my stuff on Bandcamp, I'm on YT, and a couple other places. I'd like to sell some of my work on the Marketplace here as I think some people would find value in it.
            So...
            I'm all set up to sell, but (me not being a game developer) it states I need an Unreal Cue file. Is there something generic I can use for this? I can't see downloading, installing a 20gb+, and learning a new program to possibly sell a few music packs.
            PLEASE ADVISE!

Comment

A Slay The Spire like template would be nice! Any information on this would be greatly appreciated...!

Comment

What I would look forward to is that some holy programmer would create a spline-based road creation tool that comes close to Cities Skylines, especially junction creation that would support some features like different curvature per junction edge. If you take a look at Tokyo's neighborhood streets, you will see what I am talking about in terms of reference.

Aside from that, it would be interesting to see a procedural edge-wear tool that would mimic edge-wear processes that we know from substance painter and co.
                Why not using Substance Painter and Designer? Because I have to deal with big structures and procedural assets where I just can't use prebaked edge-wear masks.
                Tobias Löffler
                Senior 3D Artist

Comment

Working...
                X