Clear All

• started a poll Blueprint Assist Plugin

Blueprint Assist Plugin

Yes
    86.14%
    No
    15.47%

The poll is expired.

Would you say your most pressed hotkey is align left and straighten connections?
    Is your OCD turning your "this will only take 5 minutes" task into an hour long blueprint artwork?

Well the blueprint assist plugin might just be for you!
    LINKS: Marketplace | Wiki

This plugin provides automatic formatting and mouse-free node editing when working with blueprints.

As someone who has been using blueprints for the past 2-3 years, I started creating this plugin with two goals in mind:
    1. Save developers hundreds of hours otherwise spent aligning, positioning and straightening blueprint nodes
    2. Quality of life keyboard shortcuts which avoid tedious mouse usage (constant disconnecting and reconnecting)
    And so the plugin includes these 3 major features:
    1. Automatic node formatting: A command to format nodes into nice readable, aligned form. Including a format all symbols command.
    2. Mouse-free blueprint controls: Keyboard shortcuts for node navigation, creation and linking
    3. Quality of life functionality: Useful commands such as Link Nodes Between Wires, Replace node with, Disconnect execution, and more

For more animated examples, check out this page of the wiki

Example of mouse-less blueprint creation
    Example of the formatting featureClick image for larger version  Name:	20190430_191742.gif Views:	1 Size:	323.7 KB ID:	1613771

AutoSizeComments plugin
    The Blueprint Assist plugin has very simple support for comment boxes. I strongly suggest you download my other free plugin, AutoSizeComments.
    It forces your comment boxes to snap to contained nodes and adds support for color presets.
    Last edited by fpwong; 06-26-2019, 07:16 AM.

• replied
    I'm pretty impressed with this so far, but I would really like if there were more customization options in the settings to disable certain things. Right now I feel like I'm at the mercy of the formatting algorithm because it always applies formatting to node groups that you add a new node to, and applies formatting when using some of the other awesome keybinds like Connect Unlinked Pins.

The auto formatting doesn't always work well for every situation, for reasons that are not always technical. I have some formatting patterns (especially with things like Sequence nodes) that I use that are not the same as the algorithm and that's normal. I basically can't edit a graph that has those patterns while this plugin is enabled because it will change the whole thing.

If there was a way to turn off the auto-format after all actions, I would for sure keep using this. Right now I'm on the fence because I really like parts of it, but the auto-formatting being forced on me is more or less canceling the benefits I get from things like Connect Unlinked Pins. I would still be able to use the auto formatting manually using F, but at least I'd be in control of when I use it.

Thanks for your work on this.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by fpwong View Post

Thanks Wijat,

Here it looks like you might need to run the 'Refresh Node Sizes' command (CTRL + SHIFT + R) then format the function again.
    Short explanation: Any time the size of a node changes, you need to refresh the size of the node that changed otherwise the formatting will not be correct.
    You can read more about it here: https://github.com/fpwong/BlueprintA...nd-Workarounds

That being said, I recreated your function in my old version of the plugin and have a different issue but it should look a little bit better than in your image (see my attachment)

Also for the past week I have been working on the formatting algorithm and have found many bugs! So hopefully in the next update there will be less issues with this.
    Thanks for your work!

Your plugin is very promising, but there are a few parts that will make me very painful. My experience is that there has happy and pain. The happy part is that I really don't need to have a lot of mouse pull operation to let the work efficiency is much higher. Create the game more quickly.

So when I use it, I think it is possible to rely more and more on your plugin in the future, I also hope that you can do this plugin well so that I can save a lot of time and make life easier.

Good luck
    Click image for larger version

Name:	10885020_1570965933115386_3513098851192917321_n.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	168.6 KB
ID:	1640891

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Wijat Xu View Post
    Today, I am messy by auto format again. Man, maybe you want to take a look at this:
    Thanks Wijat,

Here it looks like you might need to run the 'Refresh Node Sizes' command (CTRL + SHIFT + R) then format the function again.
    Short explanation: Any time the size of a node changes, you need to refresh the size of the node that changed otherwise the formatting will not be correct.
    You can read more about it here: https://github.com/fpwong/BlueprintA...nd-Workarounds

That being said, I recreated your function in my old version of the plugin and have a different issue but it should look a little bit better than in your image (see my attachment)

Also for the past week I have been working on the formatting algorithm and have found many bugs! So hopefully in the next update there will be less issues with this.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Today, I am messy by auto format again. Man, maybe you want to take a look at this:

Function have many param, then it is messy again. It is so close!

Leave a comment:

• replied

Hi Wijat, I did have an option a while ago for what you're describing but it didn't work very well so I removed it.

I'll have another look to see if I can fix this issue. In case it doesn't work very well, I'll also add a button to disable the automatic formatting.

Great to hear that, your plugin help me a lot, only this part is messy me up.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Wijat Xu View Post
    Here is the very bad stuff, Switch node is really can not work well!

My suggestion is that these exec lines can be pulled longer to avoid a lot of crossover. Now the white exec line will cross a lot on the switch node and the sequence node. This type blueprint is can not to read it. Then I can only manually adjust these stuff when I work.
    Hi Wijat, I did have an option a while ago for what you're describing but it didn't work very well so I removed it.

I'll have another look to see if I can fix this issue. In case it doesn't work very well, I'll also add a button to disable the automatic formatting.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Here is the very bad stuff, Switch node is really can not work well!

Before I format it:

After I format it:

My suggestion is that these exec lines can be pulled longer to avoid a lot of crossover. Now the white exec line will cross a lot on the switch node and the sequence node. This type blueprint is can not to read it. Then I can only manually adjust these stuff when I work.
    It can watch After I use it, It change every thing!
    Last edited by Wijat Xu; 07-06-2019, 02:54 AM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Update 26 June 2019:
    • New Feature: Toolbar option to select formatting style
    • New Feature: Hotkeys to format with specific formatting style (initially unbound)
    • Improvement: Formatting now handles comment boxes (This is a bit buggy in the current patch if you don't have the auto-size comment plugin. Will submit a fix asap)
    • Bug fix: Node caching only runs on the active tab
    • Bug fix: Plugin was failing when packaging the project
    • Bug fix: Ghost default nodes now do not cache the size of their comment bubble
    Last edited by fpwong; 06-26-2019, 02:57 AM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Thanks again!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by CoolOppo View Post
    Well that was fast. How long till I get the update from the marketplace?
    Submitting the fix today, I'd estimate it will be accepted in around 3-4 days.

If you need it the fix now:
    1. Go to the plugin in the marketplace folder, located at "Epic Games\UE_4.22\Engine\Plugins\Marketplace\BlueprintAssist"
    2. Move the folder into the plugin folder inside your project into "ProjectName\Plugins"
    3. Might need to generate your visual studio files so it detects the plugin
    4. Open BlueprintAssistModule.cpp, located at "BlueprintAssist\Source\BlueprintAssist\Private"
    5. Add the code below to the start of the StartupModule function
    6. Compile your project
    7. (Optional) Package the plugin and move it back to the marketplace folder
    Code:
        if (!FSlateApplication::IsInitialized())
        {
            return;
        }
    Last edited by fpwong; 06-22-2019, 07:31 AM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Well that was fast. How long till I get the update from the marketplace?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Now I am running into another issue, though. When trying to package my game, I am getting a couple errors:

Code:
    UATHelper: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)): LogInit: Display: Warning/Error Summary (Unique only)
    UATHelper: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)): LogInit: Display: -----------------------------------
    UATHelper: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)): LogInit: Display: LogBlueprintAssist: Error: FBlueprintAssistModule: Slate App Not Initialized
    UATHelper: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)): LogInit: Display: LogBlueprintAssist: Error: FBlueprintAssistModule: Failed to load settings module
    Thanks for the report, bug has been fixed.
    Last edited by fpwong; 06-21-2019, 07:07 AM.

Leave a comment:

• replied

What's happening here is you opened a tab and then the node caching started, then you switched tabs so the node caching wants to cache a node which is not visible on the screen, when this happens I give you a 'suggestion message' to say you should resize the screen. I should have made that say Warning instead of Error! This is not intended behavior though, I need to make it stop caching when you change tab.

Also will add a keybind for helixing / left-side formatting. And you actually reminded me, I was going to add a toolbar button so you could toggle between them.
    Yep, that's what I figured. Awesome to hear that you're gonna implement different keybinds too, thank you!

Now I am running into another issue, though. When trying to package my game, I am getting a couple errors:

Code:
    UATHelper: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)):   LogInit: Display: Warning/Error Summary (Unique only)
    UATHelper: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)):   LogInit: Display: -----------------------------------
    UATHelper: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)):   LogInit: Display: LogBlueprintAssist: Error: FBlueprintAssistModule: Slate App Not Initialized
    UATHelper: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)):   LogInit: Display: LogBlueprintAssist: Error: FBlueprintAssistModule: Failed to load settings module

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I am getting errors trying to format nodes inside a function:

The first error it shows (not visible in the screenshot) is one stating BeginPlay isn't visible on-screen.

Edit: This fixed itself after I went to the actual Event Graph. Problem must be with the node size caching.

Also want to say that other than this small annoyance, everything else is working great. My only wish is that I could have a separate keybind for doing helix and left-side formatting, because it seems like one isn't always better than the other.
    What's happening here is you opened a tab and then the node caching started, then you switched tabs so the node caching wants to cache a node which is not visible on the screen, when this happens I give you a 'suggestion message' to say you should resize the screen. I should have made that say Warning instead of Error! This is not intended behavior though, I need to make it stop caching when you change tab.

Also will add a keybind for helixing / left-side formatting. And you actually reminded me, I was going to add a toolbar button so you could toggle between them.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X