• started a topic [RELEASED] Prefab Tool - Prefab Support for Unreal Engine

Prefab Tool - Prefab Support for Unreal Engine

Click image for larger version

Name:	prefab_tool_960x422.png
Views:	1
Size:	177.8 KB
ID:	1221381

Prefab Tool is available on itch.io and Unreal Marketplace

Hi, I've been working on a Prefab solution for Unreal Engine: Prefab Tool.

Prefab Tool is inspired by the article: BUILDING THE OPEN WORLD FOR DEAD ISLAND 2 WITH UNREAL ENGINE 4, also the Prefab in UDK.

Name:	PrefabTool_screenshot_01.jpg
Size:	200.4 KB
ID:	1221382

Name:	PrefabTool_screenshot_02.jpg
Size:	193.0 KB
ID:	1221383

Name:	PrefabTool_screenshot_03.jpg
Size:	261.3 KB
ID:	1221384

Name:	PrefabTool_screenshot_04.jpg
Size:	189.1 KB
ID:	1221385

Name:	PrefabTool_screenshot_05.jpg
Size:	184.3 KB
ID:	1221386

Name:	PrefabTool_screenshot_06.jpg
Size:	180.1 KB
ID:	1221387

Name:	PrefabTool_screenshot_07.jpg
Size:	144.4 KB
ID:	1221388

Feature List:
    • Create Prefab from collection of actors in the level
    • Nested Prefab to support complex scene hierarchy
    • Preview Prefab Thumbnail in Content Browser and Detail View
    • Drag and drop Prefab into the level to instantiate actors collection
    • Edit Prefab directly inside level editor
    • Apply changes of Prefab to all Prefab instances
    • Revert changes of Prefab instances
    • Convert Prefab instances to normal actors
    • Destroy Prefab Actor with option to destroy whole hierarchy
    • Swap Prefab Asset anytime
    Last edited by Nate; 08-14-2017, 12:12 PM. Reason: Release on unreal marketplace

• replied
    Prefab Tool 1.1.2 is now live on both itch.io and Unreal Marketplace.

Thanks Dan Brakeley for reporting the performance issue and kindly providing code solution to improve the performance.

In a test map of applying prefab changes to 1,000 instances, the process time go from 15,520.371 ms down to 1,196.326 ms.

Change Log:
    ------------------
    - [Performance] Now resolving Archetype from cache first (Thanks Dan Brakeley for code contribution)
    - [Performance] Delay spawned Prefab actor instances' references replacement
    - [Performance] Disable warning if destination level is hidden when spawning prefab instances
    - Apply Prefab changes on large map should expect ~10x speed improvement
    - Fix bug Prefab actorss not been refreshed when level is added to the world via UWorld::AddToWorld (Thanks Dan Brakeley for code contribution)
    - Fix bug duplicating Prefab asset not generating new prefab id
    - Refator PrefabGEditorAdapter out of PrefabToolHelpers

Leave a comment:

• replied
    JohnADaniels Thanks!

SbstnDC Preab is a custom asset, if it's used in a map, the plugin need to be installed locally to open the map properly. You can convert prefab actors to normal actors so the map can be opened without installing the plugin.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    • hi, this buy can be to a group or it's can be to a minigroup?.I buy it, but when i comit in proyect of git, my team cant be used.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Great job Nate, glad you are back and well

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Prefab 1.1.1 with 4.20 support is now live on both itch.io and unreal marketplace.

------------------
    - Fix a bug that "Change Prefab to" and "Replace Selected Actors with Prefab" options not checking whether parent actors have same prefab asset assigned (Thanks code contribution from James Dzierwa @ Certain Affinity)
    - Fix a bug that prefab's pivot property should not be used when attaching spawned prefab instances
    - Add 4.20 support

Leave a comment:

• replied

Name:	
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	1495084 The Pivot Tool and this Mesh Tool is amazing!! a few questions:

1) The Mesh Tool has a pivot tool, does it do all the things that the Mesh Tool's pivot tools does, is one better that the other?

2) I have 2 big blocks and when they are put together the light shines through the gap. I though that I was able to fix it doing something in the Mesh Tool but I cannot remember what I did. Is there an option in the Mesh Tool that fixes these types of issues?

3) If a static mesh has 6 material slots can you remove all of them except o1?

4) Can you create Collision with the Mesh Tool?

5) Can you combine all materials into one material?

Thank you,
    John

Leave a comment:

• replied
    After doing some digging on performance, I found that most of the time was spent on repeated calls to `StaticFindObject` deep inside `FPrefabGEditorAdapter::LevelFactory_FactoryCreateText::Local::ImportProperties`. By caching the results of calls to `StaticFindObject`, I was able to bring down Apply times by an order of magnitude (from minutes to seconds). I'd be happy to send you a diff, if you want, or if you have a github repo, I can submit a PR. Cheers!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I'm curious about the performance of Prefab Tool. My project has large maps with clusters of buildings that have been put into prefabs, and then a few (ten or less) copies of these clusters are scattered around the map. These building clusters in some cases are very large, with hundreds of static mesh actors inside. Making a change to one of these prefab instances in the world via Unlock and ApplyAndLock ends up taking in some cases hundreds of seconds (a few minutes). Is anyone else seeing this slowdown? Is it something I'm doing wrong? Is there any work being done on the plugin to bring this time down?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Arcane View Post
    whats the easiest way to delete everything in the prefab from the level with everything in it ?
    With one or more prefabs selected in the World Outliner, look at the Details pane, find the "Prefab" section, and click the "Destroy Hierarchy" button.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    whats the easiest way to delete everything in the prefab from the level with everything in it ? If you hit delete(keyboard) not in your prefab window it dumps everything out of the prefab into the world outliner - this is very frustrating = then you gotta select everything again and delete those - why ?? That action is totally counter -intuitive to what would be expected

Leave a comment:

• replied
    "Generate Blueprint" currently will always create child actors for every actors inside the prefab. In next update, I'll add an option to try harvest components instead of creating child actors. (Thanks to the code contribution from you and your team!)
    Omg! I'm sorry I made it look like a bug I got baited by our internal version of Prefab Tool!

The best thing would be that everything that is not an Actor Blueprint should be added as a component to the generated Blueprint (to includes things such as Sounds, Particle System etc...).

The original thought is that one prefab could be used to generate multiple version of blueprint. But that seems over-design and causing confusion.
    Okay, that make sense! If you implement the change we're talking about we'll have both options (by regenerating a new Blueprint if we want to create a new one from a Prefab we already created a Blueprint for).

Lighting speed answer as usual, thank you very much. I'll probably add an update video to my tutorial series once it is done.

Good luck and have fun everyone

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Yun-Kun

"Generate Blueprint" currently will always create child actors for every actors inside the prefab. In next update, I'll add an option to try harvest components instead of creating child actors. (Thanks to the code contribution from you and your team!)

Generate blueprint reference currently is stored inside prefab component but not in prefab asset. The original thought is that one prefab could be used to generate multiple version of blueprint. But that seems over-design and causing confusion. I'll also change that in next update.

The "Ignore Actor Classes" is a great idea. Will working on that.

Denis.Korkh

Sorry that somehow I totally missed your reply. For the scenario you described, I think maybe adding a new prefab usage window, containing a list of prefab actors, so artist can navigate through the list, and the level editor viewport will zoom to selected prefab actor automatically to make it easier to spot any placement issue.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Hello there

I'm encountering issues regarding the "Generate Blueprint" feature!

When I create a Prefab composed of StaticMeshActors and "Generate Blueprint" out of it, it generates a Blueprint with Child Actors filled with StaticMeshActors instead of creating a Blueprint with Static Mesh components.

Another issue I have is the "Generated Blueprint" reference is lost when I remove the Prefab which originally generated it off the map. Replacing the Prefab gives me an unconnected Prefab and I have to manually reconnect the Prefab and its Blueprint.

And something I would love to see added is to be able to specify an array of actor class that I would like the "Generate Blueprint" feature not to add to the generated Blueprint. I'd like to specify this in a global way.

I was doing a series of tutorial about building a Diablo-like dungeon generator and I really counted on that feature to streamline the level design process. I made a video about using Prefab Tool and in the middle of it I realized these two bugs were kind of ruining the perfect workflow Prefab Tool can offer

I love the work you're doing, hope you'll get everything solved!

Good luck and have fun everyone

Leave a comment:

• replied
    No problem, thank you for being on top of it! I have an unrelated thought as part of making a prefab best practices for our project and figured I'd share.

In addition to using prefabs for organizing arrangements of props, our artists were asking for this sort of tech in order to be able preserve the ability to make project-wide changes to a single arrangement of props. Example: given a prefab of a tree stump w/ rocks and flowers around it we may want to tilt the stump at an angle to give it attitude.

Prefab allows exactly that but the problem on a bigger project is you never have full knowledge of the context of any given instance of this stump. Suppose somewhere in the project an apple was placed on the tree stump which would now probably either intersect or float above the tilted tree stump. So its a very tempting practice but I think its dangerous on a large project and may discourage it. An interesting feature which may help this problem would be a way to render out a snapshot of each place some prefab is used. It may be challenging to have a general solution where to place the view for rendering the instances. One way might be to allow a prefab to have a thumbnail scene node/camera which can be adjusted by the artist for this purpose. For my example (tree stump and flowers) I might arrange the camera overhead. I'm tempted to hack something like this together but it may also be an interesting feature out of the box.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X