Prefab Tool - Prefab Support for Unreal Engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    1.0.3 released on itch. Unreal marketplace is waiting final review result.

------------------
    * Add Visibility Widget to show/hide Prefab Actor with it's children actors in one click
    * Add Select Parent Prefab Actor context menu
    * Add Collapse and Select Parent Prefab Actor context menu
    * Add default hotkey binding for Select/Collapse/Show/Hide Prefab Actor
    * Fix Weak Object Reference in Prefab wrongly pointing to original source actor
    * Select Prefab Actors from Prefab Asset context menu now select actors even it's hidden
    Prefab Tool - What's new in 1.0.3

Leave a comment:

• replied
    [MENTION=32515]Yun-Kun[/MENTION], thanks a lot for sharing your experiences!
    [MENTION=1680]motorsep[/MENTION], I'm currently doing some research on the Prefab -> Blueprint conversion feature, will update here when I got something to share.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Yun-Kun View Post
    This is exactly the kind of feature our team needs (for the same reasons).
    The idea would be to be able to convert a Prefab into a Blueprint then to update the Blueprint when modifying the Prefab (else you have to delete / rebuild / replace reference of the Blueprint each time you want something to change).
    Maybe [MENTION=702]Nate[/MENTION] can add this feature

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Hello there

Guys I've read you on both threads (DA and here) talking about "Modules" and "Maps".

I've built a lot of them for Sacred Swords.
    And we're also building lots of them for our incoming FPS game.

None of this would have been possible without Prefab Tool. I didn't have it while working on Sacred Swords and as you mentionned [MENTION=1680]motorsep[/MENTION], working within the Blueprint Editor is a big no-no (I did nevertheless).

Now that we're working on our indie game the workflow with prefab tool is as good as it can be (we just need few more things to be fluent, as I discussed with [MENTION=702]Nate[/MENTION] - btw I didn't forget the feedbacks from our team, they're incoming ).

Basically making a modules as part of the level in the Editor, then combining selected assets into a BP Actor and then edit it, if necessary, right in the Editor and not BP Editor ? (by edit I mean add/remove/move/rotate/scale components)
    This is exactly the kind of feature our team needs (for the same reasons).
    The idea would be to be able to convert a Prefab into a Blueprint then to update the Blueprint when modifying the Prefab (else you have to delete / rebuild / replace reference of the Blueprint each time you want something to change).

This Prefab Tool is amazing, it enables so much potential Unreal 4 is lacking right now!
    Last edited by Yun-Kun; 07-24-2017, 02:12 PM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    [MENTION=702]Nate[/MENTION]:

There is an awesome plugin called Dungeon Architect. It has Snap module that requires dungeon modules to be BP actors. As-is, it's really messy to be building modules using static meshes (or anything for that matter) inside BP Editor. Would your Prefab plugin make the task of building such BP actors (modules) a breeze?

Basically making a modules as part of the level in the Editor, then combining selected assets into a BP Actor and then edit it, if necessary, right in the Editor and not BP Editor ? (by edit I mean add/remove/move/rotate/scale components)

Thanks

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I see, thanks for clarifying [MENTION=702]Nate[/MENTION]!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    [MENTION=49600]CoquiGames[/MENTION],

In your house prefab example, say if you have 10 instances of the house prefab with default locked blueprint door actor, and you just changed one specific door to be unlocked, here's what might happen:

Click image for larger version

Name:	28431814-35612ff8-6db8-11e7-87e2-f08e4762902b.png
Views:	1
Size:	4.2 KB
ID:	1131342

* Click "Apply", all 10 houses will have their door unlocked
    * Click "Revert", current door will be reverted to locked
    * Check off "Connected", the door will be remain unlocked. (But it'll not receive any updates from the house prefab afterward)
    * Do nothing, save the map and re-open the map, that specific door will be reverted to locked. (Unless the "Update All Prefab Actors when Open Map" option is unchecked)
    Click image for larger version

Name:	28431817-3807534a-6db8-11e7-91cf-af46a7b3a96c.png
Views:	1
Size:	14.1 KB
ID:	1131343

As converting Prefab to Blueprint, thanks for the suggestion. I'll do some test see how feasible it will be. (Not sure if ChildActorComponent supports hierarchy)

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Nate View Post
    [MENTION=260]HeadClot[/MENTION], Prefab Tool works with actors, so as long as you can drag meshes into levels, they can be turn into a Prefab.
    [MENTION=32515]Yun-Kun[/MENTION], I see. Like the idea, added to todo list
    Hi [MENTION=702]Nate[/MENTION],

The more I look into this tool the more interested I become .

Just wanted to ask - On your initial post you say "Apply changes of Prefab to all Prefab instances." Is this optional? In other words, say I create a house prefab with a blueprint actor of a door. The default door is locked (bool), but I want to unlock a specific door (on a specific instance of a prefab). Will I be able to simply deselect the boolean on the door from that one instance in editor? Or will any change to any actor inside a prefab automatically propagate to all prefabs?

Also, I want to give a vote for [MENTION=32515]Yun-Kun[/MENTION]'s suggestion - if you are able to easily convert a prefab to a Blueprint actor (and keep the exact hierarchy etc), then we can convert our prefabs to BP Actors to be able to spawn them at runtime! This will also take care of [MENTION=28980]Ali Akbar[/MENTION] 's suggestion and can be used with Dungeon Architect -which coincidentally I just bought from the Summer Sale

Just some suggestions - keep up the good work!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    [MENTION=260]HeadClot[/MENTION], Prefab Tool works with actors, so as long as you can drag meshes into levels, they can be turn into a Prefab.
    [MENTION=32515]Yun-Kun[/MENTION], I see. Like the idea, added to todo list

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Hey [MENTION=702]Nate[/MENTION] -

I am using a plugin called HammUEr right now.

Would Prefab Tool support meshes imported by hammUEr?

Just curious here.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Wow, so fast and efficient! Thank you very much for your quick answers and the bug fix!

We're going to check it out tomorrow and I'll let you know how it goes

Regarding your 2nd question, say if you have a prefab contains 2 actors, do you mean create a blueprint with 2 child actor components, or you mean create a blueprint with components copied from these 2 actors?
    I mean create a blueprint with components copied from these 2 prefabs.

The idea would be to convert the prefab into a Blueprint actor (in the limits of what can possibly be transfered this way).
    Each component of the prefab would turn into a single Blueprint of the Actor type (much like the "blueprint -> convert selected actors to blueprint class" feature).
    It would give me an Actor Blueprint with all components that were inside the prefab initially.
    Last edited by Yun-Kun; 06-23-2017, 02:56 AM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    [MENTION=32515]Yun-Kun[/MENTION], to fixed the blueprint rename issue with 1.0.3 version:

1. Rename Blueprint Asset back to original name when Prefab was created
    2. Drag the prefab to level, verify if it's in right state, then click "Apply" to update prefab content
    3. Then you can rename Blueprint Asset to new name, and fix up redirectors

Let me know if there's still any issues

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Prefab 1.0.2 Updated. Get it from itch

Change Log
    ------------------
    * Add Prefab in Create Basic Asset category
    * Fixed bug blueprint archetype stored in preab asset references table, preventing redirectors been fixup
    * Fixed bug prefab thumbnail preview scene holding up preview actor references unnecessary‚Äč

Leave a comment:

• replied
    [MENTION=32515]Yun-Kun[/MENTION], sorry for the issue you encountered. Prefab Tool should be able to deal with redirectors behind the scene, but there was a bug that prevent blueprint redirectors been fixed when it's renamed. Thanks a lot for bring that to my attention. I'll make a quick fix build to itch.

Regarding your 2nd question, say if you have a prefab contains 2 actors, do you mean create a blueprint with 2 child actor components, or you mean create a blueprint with components copied from these 2 actors?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Hello there

I bought your Plugin and I have encountered a behavior that I needed to report here.

I modified the name of a Blueprint Asset (an EnemyCharacter) and it created a Redirector asset.
    This EnemyCharacter was used in several saved Prefabs.

I tried to right-click the redirector and fix it up (as I do each and everytime I encounter this behavior) but it wouldn't fix itself (note that I'm working under version control with Tortoise SVN).

The outputlog reported yellow warning regarding assets that would be connected to the EnemyCharacter but wasn't in use anymore and it just didn't fix itself.

I could fix it after I removed each reference of that EnemyCharacter in every Prefabs referencing it.

If you have any lead on what might be causing this, I'd be glad to hear them

In the meantime, have a good day ladies and gentlemen.

EDIT: If you don't know what a redirector is, it's an hidden and gray assets which automatically pops when renaming / moving assets used in at least two different places in your project. You can reveal it by filtring "Miscellaneous / Redirectors" in the project hierarchy.

EDIT2: New question \o/
    Is it possible to add all components of a prefab to a Blueprint? (I know that I can't add it as an actor component - since it is not one)
    The better way I found is to drop the Prefab on an empty scene and convert all of its components to a Blueprint class but that's not convenient if you have to do it a lot of times.
    Last edited by Yun-Kun; 06-22-2017, 02:57 AM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X