No announcement yet.

DoN's Dynamic Mesh Effects

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Have you tested this with morph targets on skeletal meshes? I noticed that for the one frame or so it takes to update the mesh paint masks, the morph targets will completely disappear and reappear. Turning off the paint BP node temporarily seems to prevent the flickering but then I don't get meshpaint anymore.

Comment

• Originally posted by doomfest View Post
      Have you tested this with morph targets on skeletal meshes? I noticed that for the one frame or so it takes to update the mesh paint masks, the morph targets will completely disappear and reappear. Turning off the paint BP node temporarily seems to prevent the flickering but then I don't get meshpaint anymore.
      Hey, I have an update on this:

Looks like there's a known engine issue where morph targets briefly reset after you apply a new material on the mesh. This answer hub post has a couple of users describing the same thing. A staff marked the issue as resolved in 4.7.2 but if you use the "Frame Skip" feature in PIE you can clearly see the issue still persists (tested on 4.18). For our high-frequency usecase the flickering becomes even more obvious, so will definitely need to find a way around this.

I'm doing some testing on previous engine versions (4.15/etc) to gather more data on this issue. Will keep you posted.

~~~

PS: Today is the final day of the 50% discount for this plugin!

~* Lifecycles *~ Anniversary Steam update for Drunk On Nectar! | DoN’s Dynamic Mesh FX | DoN’s 3D Pathfinding

Comment

• Originally posted by doomfest View Post
        Have you tested this with morph targets on skeletal meshes? I noticed that for the one frame or so it takes to update the mesh paint masks, the morph targets will completely disappear and reappear. Turning off the paint BP node temporarily seems to prevent the flickering but then I don't get meshpaint anymore.
        Update #2

Fix available for 4.15 and 4.16 users
        If you're using these engine versions follow these steps:-
        1. In your Content Browser's View options enable the "Show Plugin Content" button.
        2. Navigate to the "Don Mesh Painting Content" folder and open the Materials/PositionsTextureBaking subfolder.
        3. Open all the material assets in this folder and in the details panel search for the "Use With Morph Targets" checkbox.
        4. Enable the checkbox for each material and save them. You will now be able to paint on meshes with morphs (corrective/static).

Status for 4.17 and 4.18 users
        With 4.17 there was a regression of an engine bug which resets morph targets for a frame when Set Material is called. This is what causes the flickering described above. I have reported this issue on answerhub (report link) for Epic to take a look at, hopefully it will be fixed.

Appreciate your patience on this issue, please track the answerhub posts linked above if you are affected by this bug.

I'll keep this thread posted on any further news

~* Lifecycles *~ Anniversary Steam update for Drunk On Nectar! | DoN’s Dynamic Mesh FX | DoN’s 3D Pathfinding

Comment

• Thanks for looking into this so quickly I'll substitute some cheaper solution until this is fixed, since we're on 4.17.

Comment

• Well, I guess I was late to the party and missed out on the sale but this very well may be what I've been looking for. Could this be used in a city building game for allowing the player to draw roads on the terrain, like having large decals as road pieces that are restricted in a way that they would sort of snap to one another? Or maybe they paint a solid color where they want the roads, and then click a finish button or something and have a function that goes back and paints the roads over the lines they painted? And then can I get the world location from where they painted so I would be able to "connect" static meshes to the edges of the the roads, in the same way other city builders where services need a connection to roads? And of course remove any grass, rocks, trees, etc. where they paint?
            Last edited by speedpacer; 01-03-2018, 07:17 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by speedpacer View Post
              Well, I guess I was late to the party and missed out on the sale but this very well may be what I've been looking for. Could this be used in a city building game for allowing the player to draw roads on the terrain, like having large decals as road pieces that are restricted in a way that they would sort of snap to one another? Or maybe they paint a solid color where they want the roads, and then click a finish button or something and have a function that goes back and paints the roads over the lines they painted? And then can I get the world location from where they painted so I would be able to "connect" static meshes to the edges of the the roads, in the same way other city builders where services need a connection to roads? And of course remove any grass, rocks, trees, etc. where they paint?
              Hey, the plugin will help you paint in world-space with Decal textures that can be rotated in any desired direction. It also offers a high-performance query system to tell you whether a world location has been painted within a certain radius. Erasing painted areas is supported. These are the only building blocks (no pun intended ) you'll be provided for your usecase.

To go from there to painting roads that snap/intersect/etc (while looking visually coherent) is a leap that will involve a fair amount of tinkering and trial. For example, to make the road decals snap you'd need to calculate the correct decal rotation angle yourself as the user is painting a road (by comparing the previous mouse location to current, etc) and you may also need various constraints to prevent things from getting messy if a player scribbles around.

Grass/rocks/etc that are painted can be erased, but if you're talking about static meshes then removing those is something you'll have to manage on your own.

Spline to Landscape Paint
              I know at least one plugin user who is placing splines on landscapes and then using this plugin to automate painting along the spline.

Along those lines (did it again ), instead of allowing free-form painting of roads if you could constrain your user's input in some way (if not a spline, then along a grid like many city building games use) then you'd have narrowed the player's input spectrum and made the overall usecase simpler.

Hope that helps!

Comment

• Hey again,

Like I said I am loving this plugin, have its usage all coded up from scratch in my game.. everything feels right about it. However, I had the same issue where you can't paint on places on a skeletal mesh.. I saw that you said this was a uv layer issue. Not knowing much about uv layers or channels I googled a video which took me through the creation of the 2nd uv map for lighting, made sure none of the packs were overlapping, reimported it, rebuilt the lighting. And now its even worse.. like not only can i not paint on the same spots.. around eyes and chest for example (with a small sized brush, if use a huge one it overlaps it all).. but now where I do paint.. some of the vertices aren't getting painted.. so the attempt to make a second uv and import it, made the situation worse.

Ive been at it a couple days and its wearing me thin. Could you point me the right direction of how to set up the 2nd uv in blender, how to import it so it works... Hell I can't even find any uv information on skeletal meshes, anything even showing that the 2nd uv map imported.. and all the posts and videos i find about uvs are an intermediate level.. for people who already know what I need to know.

Is there any kind of support (didn't see any instructions in the knowledge base about it) or video showing how to setup a 2nd uv so you can paint everywhere on the skeletal mesh? Hell how does one even look at the uvs for a skeletal mesh in ue4? I saw in blender before I made the 2nd uv that there was only one, so I was like... hey... that's probably why.. but after exporting it... and reimporting it, it neither fixed it (made it worse) nor could I even find where to confirm the uvs are on a skeletal mesh.

Thanks for your time!

note: I also thought it was strange that my code uses the uv1 nodes in the material not uv0 but its still functioned somewhat well besides a few null spots even though i only had the 1 uv before I tried to make the 2nd one. Also note that the 2nd uv map i made had all the vertices and nothing overlapping and were decently spaced, so not sure why it didn't work. At first I thought it was a collision issue, but the physics asset is setup well, and the debugs on the traces show hits.

Comment

• Hey, if you open Persona and go to UV -> Show -> Advanced -> UV you can pick a UV channel to display.

For preparing UV1 simply take your UV0 channel and rework it so that all the mirrored parts (left arm / right arm / etc) are moved out to unique UV islands. So before if you had one single UV island for an entire arm or leg, now you would unwrap each arm separately resulting in two UV islands. If every vertex on the model occupies a unique spot on the UV you're good to go. For Blender, even using the default Lightmap pack will give you something usable (but blotchy because it will create too many islands). Btw, my use of term "Lightmap UV" is a bit of a misnomer; "Paintmap UV" is probably a better term as what we're doing has nothing to do with Lightmass (so you don't need to rebuild lighting/etc for this to work).

If your physics asset tightly envelopes the character and the UV is also good then there's something else going on here and it may have nothing to do with the UVs.

One good way to determine whether your skeletal mesh is the problem is to simply migrate the sample project's demo character into your test project (and be sure to apply your character's materials onto the demo character). If you're able to paint on the demo character then we know it's an issue with your skeletal mesh's setup (could be UV or physics asset). Now if the demo character can't be painted with your setup, then we have evidence of a basic setup issue in your character's material and/or Paint BP / layer setup (in which case your mesh setup would probably be correct).

Let me know how this test goes and we can debug further based on the results
                  Last edited by VSZ; 01-13-2018, 06:58 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by VSZ View Post

Spline to Landscape Paint

Hope that helps!
                    Thank your for your time! The spline-to-landscape painting, specifically for roads, is something I've been looking for for years but I haven't found a lot of information on allowing the player to do so at runtime. This sounds in line with what I've been thinking and is probably the road I want to go down.

Comment

• 4.18 Morph Target issue update
                      ---

UE-54099 has been officially logged as an engine bug by Epic.

Please upvote this bug to indicate community interest if you're affected by it or even if you plan to use morph targets in any capacity. That will help aid in quicker resolution

(for reference: original post)

Originally posted by speedpacer View Post
                      Thank your for your time! The spline-to-landscape painting, specifically for roads, is something I've been looking for for years but I haven't found a lot of information on allowing the player to do so at runtime. This sounds in line with what I've been thinking and is probably the road I want to go down.
                      Good luck!
                      Last edited by VSZ; 01-16-2018, 04:32 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X