• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• started a topic ❀ DoN's Dynamic Mesh Effects ❀

❀ DoN's Dynamic Mesh Effects ❀

Get it here!
    Marketplace Link
    Per-Pixel FX and Gameplay

Click image for larger version  Name:	Featured Image II.jpg Views:	1 Size:	481.6 KB ID:	1404392

Runtime Mesh Painting, Pixel Collision API & more...

Now Released on UE4 Marketplace

Video Overview:

Marketplace Link

Boost your Visual FX & Gameplay with a rapid mesh painting solution that works on any mesh, provides custom collision and provides, Saving/Loading and Multiplayer out-of-the-box.

Here's how your game can benefit:

1. Paint Per-Pixel, Collidable Visual FX for Characters / Landscapes / Props

The Background:-
    • Traditional Hit-based effects (collision uvs) only work for static meshes and are not seamless.
    • Your physx collision is often out of sync with your visual effects; Eg: Bullet holes effects on walls, etc
    • Multiplayer, Saving & Loading to disk is another complexity most users will need to solve.

DoN's Solution:-

A single BP/C++ node that handles all this complexity for you, works on any Mesh, and provides pixel collisions for your gameplay needs (via the "paint blob collision" API).

Saving & Loading and Multiplayer supported out-of-the-box!

Choose from several UV workflows including Mesh UVs, World space UVs or Local space UVs along any axes

Advanced features like unlimited number of dynamically spawned actors, landscape replication, performance throttling for positions recapture (think about fast moving animations for characters), multiple effect layers, decals, brushes, UMG Text, Saving and Loading support and more!

GIF:

Spoiler

2. Paint Decals - lots of them! (no decal actors involved)
    Now stamp an unlimited number of decals on any mesh with the performance cost of a single texture sampler in your material - no decal actors involved.

This works even for skeletal meshes, something that isn't easy to achieve in a regular positions-texture workflow.

GIF:

Spoiler

3. UMG Text Tattoos for characters
    Your players can now tattoo your characters with not just decals (see above), but also with UMG text!

Create custom shirts with names, numbers, or paint text tattoos on arbitrary locations chosen by your player.

Note:- Text/Decal projection is not seamless! Results are UV layout dependent. Unlike painting effects, text projection will not work across separate UV islands. Remember that while UV-ing your characters

GIF:

Spoiler

and finally, *drumroll*

4. DoN's Paint Blob Collisions
    • Create portals in walls or floors
    • Fire projectiles through holes painted by players in-game
    • Create painted lava traps, obstacles, etc for A.I with full multiplayer support!

Using paint strokes as collision data you can generate endless gameplay possibilities, for practically any genre.

Buyer's Note:-
    This is not a physical solution, custom collision API is used. On the bright side, you don't pay the performance cost of runtime collision cooking or voxels which are inevitable in physical solutions and in many cases your players will have far more control with "paint blob collisions" than they would with physx collision bodies!

GIF:

Spoiler

5. Global Effects
    Rapidly implement global FX like Fog-Of-War systems with just a few nodes!

A new context-free world-space painting node was implemented for this. Check out this post for a sample material for an FoW system like the one below:

GIF:

Spoiler

~ My Previous Works ~
    For reference, you can check out my previous plugin - DoN's 3D pathfinding which has been well received on the Unreal Marketplace. You can expect the same level of quality and commitment to excellence with this plugin as well

You can also check out Drunk On Nectar, my game on Steam whose technology stack features many other neat systems which may be of interest to you!

~~~

This plugin has been now submitted to the Unreal marketplace and I hope to bring it out to everyone soon.

Feel free to ask any questions!

- Venugopalan Sreedharan
    Last edited by VSZ; 12-21-2018, 12:21 PM.

• replied
    Hey does that works using render targets?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Swinny_ View Post
    hi there, i am curious if this can be ceployeng on android / oculus quest
    After porting this to the PS4 I didnt notice any platform dependant code. You might need to make the same changes I made further up and if there are any issues it should print a fairly simple message when you are cooking your game.

I havent tested Android but I dont see any reason it wouldnt work.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    hi there, i am curious if this can be ceployeng on android / oculus quest

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Awesome thanks for the reply. Looking forward to picking it up next update

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Swinny_ View Post
    Hi There, Fantastic plugin - I am going to purchase on 4.23 release, but first I want to make sure that my painted decals will work with any chaos fractured meshes in my game?

Thanks!
    Hey there. You'll have to assume it doesn't work for now, as it is unlikely that a pre-existing system will work flawlessly with a new one, especially where things like fractured meshes are concerned. There's so many things to consider here, eg: Can you paint before fracture, after fracture, will the texture UVs be retained post fracture, etc. I probably won't be able to look into this any time soon as I'm preoccupied elsewhere atm.

As for 4.23 release ETA, I'd like to implement some outstanding user requests from earlier this year (specifically multi-layer support for pixel collisions). I'll probably need at least 1 week or more to submit.

Appreciate your interest and visitor message

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by MissKraya View Post

Confirmed working on PS4 now! Only additional change required is to whitelist PS4, in the uplugin file for supported platforms. Thank you for the great product and sorry for the late updates on this.

EDIT: We also set the DonMeshPainting Content directory to always cook just to be safe, unsure if this is a requirement however.
    Excellent! Thank you for getting back on this!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Hi There, Fantastic plugin - I am going to purchase on 4.23 release, but first I want to make sure that my painted decals will work with any chaos fractured meshes in my game?

Thanks!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by VSZ View Post

Thanks a lot for the information and update, appreciate it!
    Confirmed working on PS4 now! Only additional change required is to whitelist PS4, in the uplugin file for supported platforms. Thank you for the great product and sorry for the late updates on this.

EDIT: We also set the DonMeshPainting Content directory to always cook just to be safe, unsure if this is a requirement however.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Hey, I'm going on holliday until next week and the studio closed up today before I got a chance to cook a new package for the PS4 however in M_DilatePositionsTexture's custom node you need to change the variable "sample" to "s" or something else as "sample" is a reserved keyword on the PS4 shader compiler. Not sure if this is the only issue with the plugin and will keep this thread updated with my progress.
    Thanks a lot for the information and update, appreciate it!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Hey, I'm going on holliday until next week and the studio closed up today before I got a chance to cook a new package for the PS4 however in M_DilatePositionsTexture's custom node you need to change the variable "sample" to "s" or something else as "sample" is a reserved keyword on the PS4 shader compiler. Not sure if this is the only issue with the plugin and will keep this thread updated with my progress.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Thanks for the quick reply!

Originally posted by VSZ View Post

There should be no issues as afar as I can tell, however I do not have a PS4 kit to test this myself. That is the reason this platform isn't listed as being officially supported.
    I have purchased the plugin and I am in the process of getting it to run on PS4, I'll update you with the results

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Any plans to support seamless decal projection using UV1? I'm looking for a system that will allow me to paint a level in blood, scorch marks etc and have it be persistant. Hoping this asset can help however the level creation tools we are using doesnt give us direct control over the UV map as it's emulating old school brush based tools.
    I'm unaware of how to implement seamless decal projection. If someone can share any information or hints on this I may be able to take it up at some point. Currently this is looking unlikely.

Persistence is definitely possible, you will be able to save any and all effects you create with this plugin.

If you do not have control over UV Map creation it is necessary that your creation tools have created UV0 without any overlapping faces. If that condition is fulfilled you will be able to use the Don Mesh Paint UV0 nodes without issues (seamless decals still won't be possible as you noted though).

Also the supported platforms are listed as Windows and Linux. Do you know of any reason why this should not work on PS4 or have you just not had a chance to test it?
    There should be no issues as afar as I can tell, however I do not have a PS4 kit to test this myself. That is the reason this platform isn't listed as being officially supported.

Appreciate your interest in the plugin!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by thelazylion View Post

Sorry about the long *** delay, Figured I'd post some of the older demonstration results here for you. Great work on this plugin.

Video's demonstrating some exaggerated high caliber rounds to show off the effect to a fuller extent.
    Again, thanks for the help earlier.
    Thanks for sharing your work @thelazylion, appreciate it!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Kris View Post
    If anyone else has issues with the AttachParent/AttachChildren pairing being wrong, got a fix.
    Same area as the one mentioned above actually

Spoiler

With Mesh as a template object in the NewObject() call, Mesh's AttachChildren array is copied.
    Various UE4 functions to exactly the same thing, but use a private struct that is friendly to the USceneComponent class to manually clear the AttachChildren after the fact.
    Since we can't do that here, did the above instead.

No idea if it has any affect on the code that follows :|

VSZ Hope you're ok with me sharing the fix here. If not, let me know.
    Thank you so much for sharing this, sorry for the late reply

Will look into integrating this for the next update after taking a closer look.

Thank you

Leave a comment:

Working...
X