X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    Originally posted by VSZ View Post
    Try this:

1. Find the plugin inside <Your4.17Engine>/Plugins/Marketplace/DonMeshPainting
    2. Move that folder to your own project's "Plugins" directory (Create a new "Plugins" directory if you don't already have one)
    3. Delete the Binaries and Intermediate folders inside the DonMeshPainting plugin.
    4. Open the file DonMeshPainting.uplugin and inside "WhitelistPlatforms" try adding "HTML5" to the array (this part is only a guess, never tried it myself).
    4. Open Visual Studio and compile your project again. It should now compile the plugin afresh.

Assuming your HTML5 issue was indeed related to compilation then this might help.
    Got it to work! Thank you sir!

Moving the plugin into the Unreal Project Plugins folder from the Engine Plugins folder allowed me to compile the plugin into *.bc. However, I had to stay with the Blueprint method (delegate from C++). If I include the DonMeshPaintingHelper.h, it still throws the error saying it can't find the *.generated.h file. But that's fine, I can live with the C++ Delegate to Blueprint way of calling the plugin.

Don_Mesh_Paint_UV1 won't work at all in HTML5. However, Don_Mesh_Paint_UV0 does work! But it's UV coordinates are flipped in the HTML5 build. That's simple to fix. I'm not sure why Don_Mesh_Paint_UV1 won't work but I think it may use too many render targets. It's something related to the render targets anyway.

Don_Mesh_Paint_UV0's brush size seems to be about 5x bigger than Don_Mesh_Paint_UV1. Is that just because of differences in the UV0 and UV1 channels? The UV islands are a bit smaller on the automatically computed UV1 map.

I'm looking forward to the undo infinite stroke history update!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Try this:

1. Find the plugin inside <Your4.17Engine>/Plugins/Marketplace/DonMeshPainting
    2. Move that folder to your own project's "Plugins" directory (Create a new "Plugins" directory if you don't already have one)
    3. Delete the Binaries and Intermediate folders inside the DonMeshPainting plugin.
    4. Right click on your uproject file and choose "Generate Project Files". This will register the plugin with your project.
    --
    5. Open the file DonMeshPainting.uplugin and inside "WhitelistPlatforms" try adding "HTML5" to the array (this part is only a guess, never tried it myself).
    6. Repeat step 4.
    7. Open Visual Studio and compile your project again. It should now compile the plugin afresh.

Assuming your HTML5 issue was indeed related to compilation then this might help.
    Last edited by VSZ; 09-08-2017, 09:22 AM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Some observations -

I can't package the project for HTML5 if I have

Code:
    PublicDependencyModuleNames.AddRange(new string[] { "DonMeshPainting" });
    It will only work if I use the Blueprints. Packaging for HTML5 with that line gives the following error:

Code:
    UATHelper: Packaging (HTML5): UnrealBuildTool: ERROR:root:C:\Program Files\Epic Games\UE_4.17\Engine\Plugins\Marketplace\DonMeshPainting\Binaries\HTML5\UE4-DonMeshPainting.bc: No such file or directory ("C:\Program Files\Epic Games\UE_4.17\Engine\Plugins\Marketplace\DonMeshPainting\Binaries\HTML5\UE4-DonMeshPainting.bc" was expected to be an input file, based on the commandline arguments provided)
    I guess it's looking for the plugin to be compiled beforehand which I don't have.

If I include DonMeshPaintingHelper.h in addition to PublicDependencyModuleNames I get this error

Code:
    UATHelper: Packaging (HTML5): UnrealBuildTool:   C:\Program Files\Epic Games\UE_4.17\Engine\Plugins\Marketplace\DonMeshPainting\Source\DonMeshPainting\Classes\DonMeshPaintingDefinitions.h(8,10): error: 'DonMeshPaintingDefinitions.generated.h' file not found
    UATHelper: Packaging (HTML5): UnrealBuildTool: ../Plugins/Marketplace/DonMeshPainting/Source/DonMeshPainting/Classes/DonMeshPaintingDefinitions.h:8:10: fatal error: 'DonMeshPaintingDefinitions.generated.h' file not found
    UATHelper: Packaging (HTML5): UnrealBuildTool: #include "DonMeshPaintingDefinitions.generated.h"
    UATHelper: Packaging (HTML5): UnrealBuildTool:          ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    UATHelper: Packaging (HTML5): UnrealBuildTool: 1 error generated.
    UATHelper: Packaging (HTML5): UnrealBuildTool: ERROR:root:compiler frontend failed to generate LLVM bitcode, halting

When using just the Blueprints which doesn't need that PublicDependencyModuleNames line or DonMeshPaintingHelper.h, it packages for HTML5 just fine but the log from running it says

Code:
    LogStreaming: Error: Couldn't find file for package /Script/DonMeshPainting requested by async loading code. NameToLoad: /Script/DonMeshPainting
    [2017.09.01-19.17.15:518][ 0]LogStreaming: Error: Couldn't find file for package /Script/DonMeshPainting requested by async loading code. NameToLoad: /Script/DonMeshPainting
    This leads me to believe that I need the compiled plugin regardless of using Blueprints or C++ for an HTML5 build. Did you provide the Win64/Win32 binaries of the plugin or was that something that we compiled when we installed the plugin? Any idea on how I could compile the plugin for HTML5?

Leave a comment:

• replied

Does HTML5 support Render Targets in Unreal? That's really the only dependency I can think of.

The plugin doesn't impose any rendering limitations on you as it is effectively a "runtime mask generator" that doesn't know/care about what shader model the target materials will use. I've listed only Windows as that's the only platform the marketplace version of the plugin has been tested on. For my project (which uses an older code base from which this plugin was made!) I'm running it it on Linux as well.

PS: Check the logs as well, there may be a tell-tale clue in there

According to the 4.16 release notes, it should -

UE 4.16 also adds support for WebGL 2.0 which is based on OpenGL ES 3.0 and provides more optimal rendering performance, increased visual fidelity, and support for more rendering features, including:
    • Most features of UE4's high-end mobile feature level
    • Instanced Geometry Drawing for particles and foliage
    • Support for Multiple Render Targets (MRTs)
    • Texture features such as 3D or volume textures, 2D array textures, and no more non-power-of-two texture restrictions
    https://docs.unrealengine.com/latest...aseNotes/4_16/

I'll do some more digging to see if I can find out how to get a log from the HTML5 platform. I'll report back if I can find anything!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by DanimalsOnParade View Post
    I know you only support Windows, but do you have an idea if it's possible to make the plugin work with Feature Level ES 3.0?
    Does HTML5 support Render Targets in Unreal? That's really the only dependency I can think of.

The plugin doesn't impose any rendering limitations on you as it is effectively a "runtime mask generator" that doesn't know/care about what shader model the target materials will use. I've listed only Windows as that's the only platform the marketplace version of the plugin has been tested on. For my project (which uses an older code base from which this plugin was made!) I'm running it it on Linux as well.

PS: Check the logs as well, there may be a tell-tale clue in there

Leave a comment:

• replied
    @DanimalsOnParade
    You just need to include the plugin's module as a dependency in your project's build.cs file (eg: YourProject.Build.cs)

Like so:
    Code:
    // Your engine dependencies (example)
    PublicDependencyModuleNames.AddRange(new string[] { "Core", "CoreUObject", "Engine"});

// Your plugin dependencies:
    PublicDependencyModuleNames.AddRange(new string[] { "DonMeshPainting"});
    After that you will be able to use the headers simply as:
    Code:
    #include "DonMeshPaintingHelper.h"
    That header should be sufficient for an end-user to access the API.

Any other questions, let me know!
    That seems to have worked, thanks! I also got it to work with using a delegate in C++ to call an event in Blueprint.

I know you only support Windows, but do you have an idea if it's possible to make the plugin work with Feature Level ES 3.0? I've got an idea for a nice "companion app" with painting in an HTML5 game that would hook into the existing backend for the full game. My little test project compiles and packages for HTML5 just fine but no paint is applied to the model when testing in a browser (Chrome and Firefox). Testing in the editor and win64 builds work / paint just fine.

WebGL 2.0 is supposed to be on feature parity with OpenGL ES 3.0. There's not a Preview Level for ES3.0 in the Editor yet, but testing on ES3.1 works perfectly whereas ES2.0 fails. Not sure if that helps but the disconnect is somewhere between OpenGL ES 3.0 and 3.1.

I would love to be able to add this companion app, but I understand if you can't get it to work since you only support Windows.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    @DanimalsOnParade
    You just need to include the plugin's module as a dependency in your project's build.cs file (eg: YourProject.Build.cs)

Like so:
    Code:
    // Your engine dependencies (example)
    PublicDependencyModuleNames.AddRange(new string[] { "Core", "CoreUObject", "Engine"});

// Your plugin dependencies:
    PublicDependencyModuleNames.AddRange(new string[] { "DonMeshPainting"});
    After that you will be able to use the headers simply as:
    Code:
    That header should be sufficient for an end-user to access the API.

Any other questions, let me know!
    Last edited by VSZ; 08-31-2017, 01:53 AM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I picked up the 4.16 version from the Marketplace so that I can test while I wait for 4.17 but I'm having trouble figuring out how to use the C++ API. What exactly should I #include in my C++ files?

Code:
    Throws errors saying that it can't find that file.

Code:
    #include "../Plugins/Marketplace/DonMeshPainting/Source/DonMeshPainting/Classes/DonMeshPaintingHelper.h"
    Throws an error saying it can't find the DonMeshPaintingHelper.generated.h.

I have access to the Blueprint nodes so I think it's installed and enabled correctly. Sorry if I just blindly missed some important piece on the Knowledge Base about installation / C++ setup!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Hey, I've seen other sellers report anywhere between 2-3 weeks for their updates to be processed (mine was sent on 20th of August).

For this plugin I sent them three updates in all (4.17, 4.16, 4.15) so there's probably more testing work for them here than the other updates too.,,

In any case I"ll reach out to them in while I'd also sent new images for the marketplace gallery that I was really keen on seeing out there!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Any updates on the 4.17 update?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Awesome, thanks for the tips! Still waiting... Epic please!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Btw, since you mentioned decals/text I'm assuming you've read the known limitations kb page on them already. To quickly recap:
    • Seamless projection of decals/text is only supported for planar world-space/local-space painting.
    • For 3D mesh-space projection, only circular brush strokes are seamless; decal/text projection is entirely UV island dependent, making careful UV1 (lightmap) preparation a must.
    Now most gampeplay situations can get around that, but for a free-mode paint app like yours, this is a very important limitation to be aware of because yours users can presumably paint anywhere.

Well worth noting!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I don't want the normal map detail getting baked into the diffuse.
    It all depends on how you build your baker, virtually any desired combination should be possible with the right setup.

Recommend looking up the "Unwrap UVs for Render Node" and playing around with an orthographic scene capture so you get an idea of the technique.

Speaking of normal maps, painting only color onto a mesh won't overwrite any detail created by a normal map (or any of the other things like specular, roughness, emissive), correct? The normal map will still be fully visible and rendered properly?
    No such worries, you're in complete control of the effects and what channels they influence.

You're in control because what the users paint is always just a mask not the effect. The advantage of this is that you can read the mask and blend in virtually anything you like - be it peeling off damage textures beneath (for impact damage), or for painting just one diffuse channel (paint app usecase like yours) even multiple channels (diffuse/normal/what-not) for those who need it.[/QUOTE]

Woo, I'm excited!
    Glad to hear!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Now If all you want to do is bake the materials (as seen by the player) onto one-texture-per-material, that should be doable at runtime.
    This is all I want to do. Take the newly painted color strokes, decals, and UMG tattoos and bake them down onto the diffuse texture and bake separate roughness, specular, etc masks down onto their existing textures. I don't want the normal map detail getting baked into the diffuse.

Speaking of normal maps, painting only color onto a mesh won't overwrite any detail created by a normal map (or any of the other things like specular, roughness, emissive), correct? The normal map will still be fully visible and rendered properly? I ask because it's hard to tell if your winged character in the YouTube videos has a normal map or not.

Woo, I'm excited!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I don't mind managing that on my own as long as it is possible.
    Unreal does has official documentation on this topic (Rendering Mesh,To Textures, Render to Texture Toolset Setup), however the catch here is whether it works in packaged games because they're baking every possible map (diffuse/normal/etc) using visualization buffers (possibly an editor-only feature, not sure). Now If all you want to do is bake the materials (as seen by the player) onto one-texture-per-material, that should be doable at runtime.

There's an updated sample project for 4.17 somewhere, correct? If so, where would I find it?
    The sample project link on the marketplace page will be updated to the new one as soon the updates go live. I'm guessing they have a long list of updates to process so it could take a while, but hopefully not too long!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X