No announcement yet.

❀ DoN's Dynamic Mesh Effects ❀

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the prompt reply, I attached some screen caps of the issue and the mat functions..
    Made a mat function that just converts the input mat using height lerps driven from DonUV1 into a flesh damage mat for the output. Both head and body mat's have this function applied the same way.. but only the head mat receives the paint node stroke. Tested using the same mat from the head on the body mat slot, with no results.

Head material receives the node stroke, while body does not. Head is mat slot 0, and body is mat slot 01..

Again, thanks, any help is always appreciated.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by thelazylion; 03-18-2019, 11:17 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by thelazylion View Post
      Thanks for the prompt reply, I attached some screen caps of the issue and the mat functions..
      Made a mat function that just converts the input mat using height lerps driven from DonUV1 into a flesh damage mat for the output. Both head and body mat's have this function applied the same way.. but only the head mat receives the paint node stroke. Tested using the same mat from the head on the body mat slot, with no results.

Head material receives the node stroke, while body does not. Head is mat slot 0, and body is mat slot 01..

Again, thanks, any help is always appreciated.
      Thanks for the detailed screenshots

Please try removing the Don UV nodes from the material function and move them directly into the material, passing the alpha(/rgb) as material function input(s) instead. I can't recall immediately why that would be an issue, but seems like the most obvious thing to check.

It is also possible that you have accidentally disabled a paint layer in a child material instance (as described in this kb article), but that's quite a long shot and I doubt that's the issue here.

Hope this helps, let me know!

Steam Early Access: Drunk On Nectar - The Nature Simulator

UE4 Plugins: DoN’s Dynamic Mesh FX | DoN’s 3D Pathfinding

Comment

Originally posted by VSZ View Post

Thanks for the detailed screenshots

Please try removing the Don UV nodes from the material function and move them directly into the material, passing the alpha(/rgb) as material function input(s) instead. I can't recall immediately why that would be an issue, but seems like the most obvious thing to check.

It is also possible that you have accidentally disabled a paint layer in a child material instance (as described in this kb article), but that's quite a long shot and I doubt that's the issue here.

Hope this helps, let me know!
        I ended up moving the entire function out into the material just to be sure, along with the don uv node, however still the same result.
        It's definitely detecting the don node however, as switching out the material with something that doesn't contain a Don Node, the print screen error stating the node is missing from material pops up. Meaning it's detecting the node and but just not applying, or it is applying, but the results are not visible, I'll tinker with my UV's and see if it's something to do with that.
        Also the Mat instance layer wasn't disabled when I checked.
        Thanks again for your time, Let me know if you think of anything else..

Comment

Problem solved thanks for your help, the issue was with the UV placement, Had to redo UV's for the body, as they were in the wrong spot for the don node.

Comment

Originally posted by thelazylion View Post
            Problem solved thanks for your help, the issue was with the UV placement, Had to redo UV's for the body, as they were in the wrong spot for the don node.
            Thanks for confirming thelazylion!

Yep the UV placement is important indeed....

Comment

Would this plugin be suitable for permanent footprints on a landscape?

Comment

Hi! I am having a number of problems with decals!
                1. Static mesh says Collision UVs support is not enabled. However Support UV From Hit Results is on. Trace complex for the mesh is on. The mesh_space_UV1 does spawn the decal, but in random places. Planar (xy) does not do a thing at all. It works ok on static meshes that I found in the engine, but not on the any imported ones, whether I set it to simple, complex or use complex as simple collision.
                2. The scale of the projected decal is random and sometimes covers half or even the entire mesh. It works fine on a skeletal mesh, on skeletal mesh that is being moved, on skeletal mesh that is playing an animation. The scale glitch occurs an animated character with the same mesh (hit result is with the mesh and not with the character capsule) and on a mesh that is simulating physics! (no overlapping UVs on channel1)
                ue4.20.3

Comment

cyberdei

For #1 - You mentioned trying Planar, is this a simple floor mesh? If yes, I'd focus on getting a "Don Local Space" node to work instead of using any Collision UVs at all. Local Space will provide better visuals and performance for your usecase. If you are reusing a Wall mesh as a Floor you'll need to use the correct planar node for that. Eg: XZ or YZ (instead of XY) for any wall meshes you have rotated to behave as floor meshes. The Local Space axis is what matters here (unless you're using a world space node).

Specifically for Collision UVs - Can you look at the HitResult and see what the FaceIndex value is? If it is -1 it means that the collision UV support has not been setup properly, somewhere. Did you restart the editor after checking "Support UV from Hit Results" and can you also double check that "Trace Complex" was enabled for your Trace? I'd also check the UV0 channel to see if all faces are laid out uniquely.

For #2 -

Originally posted by cyberdei View Post
                  The scale glitch occurs an animated character with the same mesh (hit result is with the mesh and not with the character capsule) and on a mesh that is simulating physics! (no overlapping UVs on channel1)
                  ue4.20.3
                  Can you clarify this further please, the scenario is not entirely clear.

Are only physics simulating meshes / ragdolls experiencing this issue? If yes, does the issue also occur when the simulation has come to a complete halt (or only while it is moving)?

It is possible that the refresh rate (used for baking pos texture) may be too slow for your usecase. If you open the file DonMeshPainterComponent.cpp and search for the function UDonMeshPainterComponent::IsPositionsTextureStale you can modify the statement that reads timeElapsedSinceLastPositionRefresh > 0.1f,

Try changing the value above from 0.1f to something like 0.01f (as an experiment) to see if that helps (this will have an impact on performance, so be sure to revert back after testing). To try this suggestion you'll have to modify the code in Visual Studio and recompile. See this post for instructions on setting up the plugin with your project.

For this usecase, consider using damage textures (peeled away by alpha mask) instead of decals as that approach offers much better performance and control over visuals as well. For example you can reveal damage for different body parts using a premade damage texture.

~

Hope this helps.

Comment

Originally posted by polystyring View Post
                    Would this plugin be suitable for permanent footprints on a landscape?
                    Yes, absolutely. Landscape painting w/decals is supported.

PS: I didn't receive a notification for this post earlier, sorry.

Comment

Hi,

Any news on 4.22? The 4.21 version wouldn't compile on 4.22 for me.

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by GreylockDev View Post
                        Hi,

Any news on 4.22? The 4.21 version wouldn't compile on 4.22 for me.

Thanks!
                        Will submit in 2-3 days. I'm hoping to integrate the workaround that Der.Dominic reported for the morph targets issue in this post in some capacity (without a duplicate paint stroke hopefully).

Comment

Great news! Thank you.

Comment

4.22 ETA (With official fix for Morph Targets issue!)

Some great news for those affected by the morph targets issue discussed in various preceding posts:

The plugin has been redesigned in such a way that skeletal meshes with morph targets are no longer affected by any flickering.

It's taken longer than planned to submit this as it's a major redesign and still needs more testing. Update will be submitted tomorrow!

Comment

Sounds awesome!!

Comment

Have you submitted?

Comment

Working...
                                X