Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by IntervideoFilm View Post
    Hey VSZ, thanks for the effort!
    Would it be possible for you to implement this into the actual plugin?
    Sure, but for a formal update you'll need to wait till the next engine version.

If you need it sooner I suggest you make the changes above locally, it should be easy to incorporate without doing any coding yourself.

Originally posted by IntervideoFilm View Post
    Another thing: Is there a way to access the render target texture that is being written for my character?
    Any material with a Don uv node has a texture parameter which you can read to access the render target, as long as you know its exact name.

To know the name for each uv node just double-click on the node and keep expanding it further till you find a texture parameter with a name that looks something like DonPaintLayer_MeshGeneric_UV1_0 (for example). That is the parameter name you'll need to query on your character's material(s). Every material with a Don UV node creates its own render target.

Steam Early Access: Drunk On Nectar - The Nature Simulator

UE4 Plugins: DoN’s Dynamic Mesh FX | DoN’s 3D Pathfinding

Comment

Sad news:
      Epic will not fix morph targets in 4.22

They updated the bug report.
      https://issues.unrealengine.com/issue/UE-54099
      Has anyone had any new ideas?
      How do you get around it in your projects?
      As far as I know now this is a very old bug which had been fixed but reappeared in UE 4.17. Thanks for any help.
      We are currently trying to downgrade to 4.16 (though it has A LOT of downsides).

Comment

Hey VSZ! I was curious is there a way to disable the debug messages on the plugin? I have it setup on the materials I want, and not on the ones I do not. Unfortunately since they are on the same mesh, its not an option to disable collision on it. (I am using it to just paint blood everywhere, and neat meaty scars on character meshes) and since I do not have the nodes in those materials its spawning off the layer isn't setup for the material message. I know this, and just want to to turn off debug messages. I tried dropping a couple empty node in the materials just to kill the messages but this uses more resources and tries to process the paint strokes anyway causing lag. So, I was hoping you had built in some way to disable the messages from within the editor. I checked the c++ and I didn't see anything, well other than the message in question.
        Thanks ahead of time! I am enjoying your plugin.

Comment

Der.Dominic Thanks for the headsup. I've sent an informal request to an epic staff separately in addition to bumping the answerhub thread for more details.

For the next engine update I will do a quick poc to see if an alternate system of some sort is feasible at all. Not entirely sure at the moment.

Originally posted by 6gg Studios View Post
          Hey VSZ! I was curious is there a way to disable the debug messages on the plugin? I have it setup on the materials I want, and not on the ones I do not. Unfortunately since they are on the same mesh, its not an option to disable collision on it. (I am using it to just paint blood everywhere, and neat meaty scars on character meshes) and since I do not have the nodes in those materials its spawning off the layer isn't setup for the material message. I know this, and just want to to turn off debug messages. I tried dropping a couple empty node in the materials just to kill the messages but this uses more resources and tries to process the paint strokes anyway causing lag. So, I was hoping you had built in some way to disable the messages from within the editor. I checked the c++ and I didn't see anything, well other than the message in question.
          Thanks ahead of time! I am enjoying your plugin.
          Hey. You can turn the property bDisplayLogWarningsOnScreen to false for this. You will find this in DonMeshPainterComponent.h

This is not exposed to the editor yet, so you'll need to modify the code and rebuild via Visual Studio...

Glad to hear you are enjoying the plugin!

Comment

Originally posted by VSZ View Post

Hey. You can turn the property bDisplayLogWarningsOnScreen to false for this. You will find this in DonMeshPainterComponent.h

This is not exposed to the editor yet, so you'll need to modify the code and rebuild via Visual Studio...

Glad to hear you are enjoying the plugin!
            Thanks for letting me know, save me some hunting time.

Comment

Hey, sorry to bother you again but, seems rebuilding a plugin in the launcher version of the engine is not really doable. There seems to be no way to rebuild the plugin after making the changes and I don't intend on using an engine built from source on this. I tried the hackish way of putting it directly into the game folder and putting it back, and also deleting the intermediate and binary folders to try to trigger it to auto rebuild while it was still in the engine folders. But it needs to be rebuilt manually which I don't think is allowed in launcher version of engine? I mean used to all the time on projects I used to run on compiled from source, but doesn't seem doable in the launcher version.

Any solutions to be had? Anyway you could expose that variable by default to the editor maybe? Seems the sort of thing that should be toggled on and off, especially since printing eats resources when you are using your editor tools to optimize. I was also wondering, does it trying to interact with materials that aren't setup eat up gamethread? Kind of a side question out of left field lol.. sorry... figured while I was here.

Any solutions though would be welcomed, I haven't tried the UAT batch tool but others who have tried it who had the same issue with other stuff said it didn't work. Thanks.

Comment

Hey, sorry to bother you again but, seems rebuilding a plugin in the launcher version of the engine is not really doable. There seems to be no way to rebuild the plugin after making the changes and I don't intend on using an engine built from source on this. I tried the hackish way of putting it directly into the game folder and putting it back, and also deleting the intermediate and binary folders to try to trigger it to auto rebuild while it was still in the engine folders. But it needs to be rebuilt manually which I don't think is allowed in launcher version of engine? I mean used to all the time on projects I used to run on compiled from source, but doesn't seem doable in the launcher version.

Any solutions to be had? Anyway you could expose that variable by default to the editor maybe? Seems the sort of thing that should be toggled on and off, especially since printing eats resources when you are using your editor tools to optimize. I was also wondering, does it trying to interact with materials that aren't setup eat up gamethread? Kind of a side question out of left field lol.. sorry... figured while I was here.

Any solutions though would be welcomed, I haven't tried the UAT batch tool but others who have tried it who had the same issue with other stuff said it didn't work. Thanks.
                Okay so, seems the answer is to create a blank c++ project, then put the plugin files in its plugin folder, change the needed code... then delete the intermediate and binaries and start up the blank c++ project, (making sure the plugin has been stripped from the associated engine as well, the plugin code should only be in the c++ project as of now) then add the plugin back into the engine.

So, I am good now. Thanks! But curiously, I still wonder... What goes on inside of the plugin when it tries to paint on a surface that isnt setup? i mean besides the warning (resolved) but, it seems to slow it down some still and it makes me wonder is there something in the code that can be changed to make it just ignore things that don't have a layer node setup in the material, i guess the question is... does it already just ignore it? or is it trying to interact with it more than necessary than it is just to see if it is setup to receive? Is there anything there that could be removed, since it doesn't seem it was meant to run with materials not setup for it (ie, my mesh that had materials that collision couldn't be shut off but did not want the paint nodes in the material)

That was probably all clear as mud, but if you understood... great. If not, my main reason is dealt with... so I am happy. My gore effects are just heaps better with this plugin resource wise and looks **** good.

Comment

And ah... at the risk of being clingy...

UATHelper: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)): ERROR: System.IO.DirectoryNotFoundException: Could not find a part of the path 'X:\Program Files\Epic Games\UE_4.21\Engine\Plugins\Marketplace\DonMeshPainting\Intermediate\Build\Win64\UE4\Development\DonMeshPainting\DonMeshPainting.precompiled'.

That file isn't in the installation to the engine or the sample project... so where might one find this file, and any others that are necessary for packaging a project with this plugin?

Comment

That file isn't in the installation to the engine or the sample project... so where might one find this file, and any others that are necessary for packaging a project with this plugin?
                    Hi 6gg Studios,

Marketplace plugins cannot be modified in the engine folder itself, for modifications to function properly they need to be migrated over to your project folder as follows:

Instructions:
                    1. Create an empty C++ project which you will use as your workspace.
                    2. Inside the new project's root folder, create a "Plugins" directory
                    3. Copy the Mesh Painting plugin from <Your4.XYEngineFolder>/Engine/Plugins/Marketplace/DonMeshPainting into your Project's new Plugins directory.
                    4. Delete the Binaries and Intermediate folders inside DonMeshPainting for a fresh start.
                    5. Open your new project from Visual Studio and compile your project to test. The plugin should now be compiled afresh along with it.

~

For your other question about an apparent perf overhead for unused materials:

Ideally this should not be the case as the plugin will only 1) iterate through all your materials 2) find out which ones have the matching layer parameter setup by querying the material and 3) ignore such materials with a warning. I will double-check for the next engine update whether there is anything more to this.

However there is one scenario worth checking: If you have a parent material function with a paint node and have child material instances that shouldn't really be participating in any paint effects, then those child materials will definitely double/triple your cost unless you manually disable them.

See this knowledge base article for how to disable such child materials from receiving paint:
                    http://www.drunkonnectar.com/dynamic...ial-instances/

Have a nice day

Comment

I have found a workaround for anyone who still has troubles with the UE4 bug causing flickering morph targets after calling "DON Mesh Paint" node:

1. Create a copy of the mesh you are painting on and set it to invisible. This is your dummy. It has to be the exact same mesh. Material can be anything.
                      2. After your "DON Mesh Paint" node place a second node and paint on your dummy.

That's it. I found this by accident. Miraculously only the last one of same meshes gets the bug and since it is not visible the bug is too. Mind you of course you are causing double the impact on performance so maybe you could also use these tips from master Venu himself:
                      For minimizing impact in short-term:
                      1) Reduce the resolution of the positions texture generated for the dummy mesh. Currently this is hardcoded in DonMeshPainterGlobalActor.h (DefaultPositionsTextureSizeX, DefaultPositionsTextureSizeY). If you can somehow parametrize it for the dummy mesh you can dramatically reduce performance overhead.
                      2) Reduce the resolution of the paint render target for the dummy mesh's materials (not sure whether using different materials than the actual mesh will negate the workaround though...)

Comment

hello, is it possible to remove paint decals, or move decals?
                        i'm very interested however i didn't see you mention anywhere if i could remove the decals i apply from your node.

it's really important for me to add and remove decals or move them.

Regards

Comment

Originally posted by Der.Dominic View Post
                          I have found a workaround for anyone who still has troubles with the UE4 bug causing flickering morph targets after calling "DON Mesh Paint" node:

1. Create a copy of the mesh you are painting on and set it to invisible. This is your dummy. It has to be the exact same mesh. Material can be anything.
                          2. After your "DON Mesh Paint" node place a second node and paint on your dummy.
                          Thanks so much for posting your workaround Dominic, I really appreciate your persistence (and cleverness!) in discovering the workaround

Comment

Originally posted by IronSuit View Post
                            hello, is it possible to remove paint decals, or move decals?
                            i'm very interested however i didn't see you mention anywhere if i could remove the decals i apply from your node.

it's really important for me to add and remove decals or move them.

Regards
                            For Removing decals: The eraser functionality can be used to remove decals, however do note that this is not a logical "Remove" operation; Erasing simply scrubs the pixels painted around a given location. If you want to easily remove an entire decal via logical mapping (i.e. "please remove the entire decal I painted approximately around this location") then you'll need to use your own logic to support that. A simple technique to achieve this would be to maintain a custom list of all painted decal locations (and their brush size) and erase all decals that are sufficiently close to the brush location from which you desire to remove decals.

For Moving decals: This could work by erasing the previous decal and placing a new one each time the cursor position moves sufficiently. As you're only moving one decal at a time, you just need to memorize the last painted decal location (and its brush size) and erase from there the next time. The performance cost of this will vary depending on your target mesh type and UV method (a.k.a painting workflow; see this kb article for more).

Comment

Hey there, thanks for this great plugin, works beautifully to create dynamic gore on our characters. only issue we're facing is that we're using a single skeletal mesh, with multiple material slots, (1 for head, 1 for body).. and the paint node only applies paint strokes to the first material slot, and not the second, however in your demo, the template basic skeletal mesh with wings seems to activate the paint strokes on all materials rather than just the first of the hit component.

Can i ask the procedure for applying the paint stroke to the multiple material slots of the same mesh?

Thanks again for your time, really appreciate this plugin, cant wait to post some results once complete.

Comment

Originally posted by thelazylion View Post
                                Hey there, thanks for this great plugin, works beautifully to create dynamic gore on our characters. only issue we're facing is that we're using a single skeletal mesh, with multiple material slots, (1 for head, 1 for body).. and the paint node only applies paint strokes to the first material slot, and not the second, however in your demo, the template basic skeletal mesh with wings seems to activate the paint strokes on all materials rather than just the first of the hit component.

Can i ask the procedure for applying the paint stroke to the multiple material slots of the same mesh?

Thanks again for your time, really appreciate this plugin, cant wait to post some results once complete.
                                Hi thelazylion!

You just need to make sure that every material of that skeletal mesh has a Don UV material node connected to it.

The sample project uses a master material for the skeletal mesh which all the material slots derive from, so it only adds the node once. I'm assuming your material slots are all independent, so each and every one needs to add the correct Don UV node inside of them. Paint will automatically be routed to all material slots that carry a matching Don UV node for the active layer being painted.

If you're already set this up and it is still not working, screenshot snippets of your material would help!

And yes, do feel free to share your creations on this thread!

Comment

Working...
                                X