Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

❀ DoN's Dynamic Mesh Effects ❀

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Originally posted by rennsix View Post
    Just an update that using the plugin in VR environments works just fine.
    Thank you, that looks really neat!

    Which Don Material node is that using? Would be interesting to see a skeletal mesh usecase ("Don Mesh Paint UV1" node) as that's relatively more performance intensive (especially when decal textures are involved).

    But anyway, thank you so much for getting back on this!

    Steam Early Access: Drunk On Nectar - The Nature Simulator

    UE4 Plugins: DoN’s Dynamic Mesh FX | DoN’s 3D Pathfinding

    Comment


      Originally posted by VSZ View Post

      Does the cloth have a physics asset to go with it? The hitresult's location needs to roughly approximate the cloth's pixels for this to work. Obviously a primitive collision shape can never approximate the rich contortions of cloth, but you need some kind of collision to occur for the paint to be projected. Cloth support was recently added in 4.19 and should work as long as your cloth mesh has a collision body.
      It is not a cloth asset, just a skeletal mesh. It's a pair of shorts in this case. I think trace responses to child components does not work in unreal yet, so as a workaround, i broke the hit result and re-made it but I forced the clothing component into hit result and it worked like a charm.

      And to your latest question to the rennsix about using the plug in on skeletal meshes in vr, I tried it for the bullet holes. It looks great, but unfortunately the performance hit was too great. Every time it painted a bullet hole it would hitch the performance for a split second. It was very quick but for rapid fire it definitely makes it unplayable. If we could overcome that little performance hit, there are great things that can be done.

      Also, with regards to a question I asked a while ago, I am still curious about something: I tried painting using a decal as my brush and it seems to work correctly most of the time, but the size changes sometimes. I tried it on several different skeletal meshes with clean, well proportioned UV maps, and it still would paint the decal at seemingly random sizes. Wonder if there's any way around this?

      Comment


        Originally posted by VSZ View Post
        Which Don Material node is that using?
        Yes, it is the Don Mesh Paint UV1. Here is an image of the setup. Will be doing some 'chalk' work next month.

        Click image for larger version

Name:	hazpaint.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	541.0 KB
ID:	1514914
        Colin M. Croft
        President
        Croft Interactive Inc.

        Comment


          We have hit a problem that we can't find any solution to. When we package a dedicated server the Materials no longer passes DoNs test for a valid material. Painting on the server only gives warnings about missing support for DoN. The packaging for dedicated server has stripped out all DoN functionality.

          Running an editor-dedicated server works fine so this comes as a surprice now that we start packaging the game.

          Is there a setting somewhere that we have missed?

          Comment





            Originally posted by FrostyElkArne View Post
            We have hit a problem that we can't find any solution to. When we package a dedicated server the Materials no longer passes DoNs test for a valid material. Painting on the server only gives warnings about missing support for DoN. The packaging for dedicated server has stripped out all DoN functionality.

            Running an editor-dedicated server works fine so this comes as a surprice now that we start packaging the game.

            Is there a setting somewhere that we have missed?
            Hey, can you share the server logs with the warnings about missing support?

            That will be helpful for deducing what is going on.

            ~

            Originally posted by cpenny20 View Post
            It is not a cloth asset, just a skeletal mesh. It's a pair of shorts in this case. I think trace responses to child components does not work in unreal yet, so as a workaround, i broke the hit result and re-made it but I forced the clothing component into hit result and it worked like a charm.

            And to your latest question to the rennsix about using the plug in on skeletal meshes in vr, I tried it for the bullet holes. It looks great, but unfortunately the performance hit was too great. Every time it painted a bullet hole it would hitch the performance for a split second. It was very quick but for rapid fire it definitely makes it unplayable. If we could overcome that little performance hit, there are great things that can be done.

            Also, with regards to a question I asked a while ago, I am still curious about something: I tried painting using a decal as my brush and it seems to work correctly most of the time, but the size changes sometimes. I tried it on several different skeletal meshes with clean, well proportioned UV maps, and it still would paint the decal at seemingly random sizes. Wonder if there's any way around this?
            Glad to hear the skeletal mesh/cloth is working now!

            VR performance - are you using decals? That's the most expensive flow. If you're not using decals, then lowering the values of DefaultPositionsTextureSizeX/SizeY in DonMeshPainterGlobalActor.h may help. For rapid-fire maybe you could throttle the impact holes so not every bullet is painted is every tick? Aggregating holes with some custom logic is also an option although that kind of stuff always needs a lot of tweaking to get visually acceptable results. Apart from those - if the pose of the skeletal mesh is known / mostly unvarying (eg: being struck by a bullet always puts the target into a particular animation pose) then it may be possible to cache that animation pose beforehand which would virtually eliminate any performance cost (this would be some custom coding as such a feature is not part of the plugin yet). Final option I can think of is to add support in the plugin for bone-space transformation based skeletal painting (which someone asked about earlier in this thread); less accurate but far more performant.

            For the decal brush size - Do you have pics of the varying decal brush sizes and maybe the corresponding UV map?

            ~

            Originally posted by rennsix View Post
            Yes, it is the Don Mesh Paint UV1. Here is an image of the setup. Will be doing some 'chalk' work next month.
            Thank you for sharing that! Can't wait for the chalk work

            Steam Early Access: Drunk On Nectar - The Nature Simulator

            UE4 Plugins: DoN’s Dynamic Mesh FX | DoN’s 3D Pathfinding

            Comment


              I have activated your printouts to Log level and this is what I get on a cooked dedicated server:
              Code:
              [2018.08.11-13.13.09:372][837]LogDonMeshPainting: 
              [Alert] Archer_MM2_Mat - Layer 0 missing
              This material is not configured for painting on layer 0.
              You need to add the correct Don paint layer material function inside your material
              
              [2018.08.11-13.13.09:374][837]LogDonMeshPainting: 
              [Alert] claymore_Mat - Layer 0 missing
              This material is not configured for painting on layer 0.
              You need to add the correct Don paint layer material function inside your material
              
              [2018.08.11-13.13.09:504][845]LogDonMeshPainting: 
              [Alert] DOC_Mat_M - Layer 0 missing
              This material is not configured for painting on layer 0.
              You need to add the correct Don paint layer material function inside your material
              Just a sample, all materials gives this printout.

              Comment


                Originally posted by FrostyElkArne View Post
                I have activated your printouts to Log level and this is what I get on a cooked dedicated server:
                Just a sample, all materials gives this printout.
                If you are comfortable with modifying a bit of code, can you try the following:

                1. Open DonMeshPainterComponent.cpp
                2. Go to the function ResolvePaintLayer
                3. Go the if condition that reads
                Code:
                if (layerNameByUvMethod.IsEqual(DonMeshPaint::DonPaintLayer_MeshGeneric))
                4. Inside that if, replace the entire contents with the following:
                Code:
                 layerParameterName = FName("DonPaintLayer_MeshGeneric_UV1_0");
                bRenderTargetParameterFound = true; // don't forget this line!
                5. Recompile the code and try now.

                This assumes that you are using the Don Mesh Paint UV1 node on Layer 0. If that is not the case, you should change the contents of the FName to match that.

                Let me know if this works and we can investigate further accordingly.

                Steam Early Access: Drunk On Nectar - The Nature Simulator

                UE4 Plugins: DoN’s Dynamic Mesh FX | DoN’s 3D Pathfinding

                Comment


                  Deep in memory stomping right now but I will give it a try later on.

                  Comment


                    Hey guys!
                    I have some questions regarding this addon


                    1) Is It possible to create a BP_projectile with multiple brush/decals ?
                    For example:slash decal , bullet decal , blood and many more....

                    2) Is It possible to control the opacity, size of the decal on the character once It's applied?
                    For example:regeneration , getting clean.

                    3) Do characters require to use Blueprint?
                    Discord: OP #5992

                    Comment


                      Hi,

                      Is anyone having luck getting this to work on 4.20.3? I just downloaded the plugin and paint is not working in my project, I also tried the sample project the creator made and it did not work either!

                      Thanks.

                      EDIT: Nevermind, it just appears that the landscape bounds are shared between projects, so the settings I had for my project invalidated the demo project.
                      Last edited by GreylockDev; 10-19-2018, 03:12 PM.

                      Comment


                        Originally posted by GreylockDev View Post
                        Hi,

                        Is anyone having luck getting this to work on 4.20.3? I just downloaded the plugin and paint is not working in my project, I also tried the sample project the creator made and it did not work either!

                        Thanks.

                        EDIT: Nevermind, it just appears that the landscape bounds are shared between projects, so the settings I had for my project invalidated the demo project.
                        Thanks for the update. Yes it is shared if you have the plugin installed at engine level (true for marketplace plugins by default).

                        You can simply copy the plugin directly into your project folder for maintaining unique bounds per project.

                        Originally posted by Coverop View Post
                        Hey guys!
                        I have some questions regarding this addon

                        1) Is It possible to create a BP_projectile with multiple brush/decals ?
                        For example:slash decal , bullet decal , blood and many more....

                        2) Is It possible to control the opacity, size of the decal on the character once It's applied?
                        For example:regeneration , getting clean.

                        3) Do characters require to use Blueprint?
                        Sorry for the late reply, been super busy with my game's biggest Steam update

                        1) Yes. complete flexibility is offered at the API level. You can extend it to create custom "paint projectiles" as per your needs

                        2) The eraser functionality allows you to remove painted areas and restoration of an entire actor/material (purge) is also supported. You can also simply choose to negate the mask's alpha channel in the material for cheap gradual transitions without touching the render target(s) again.

                        3) You can use any format you like - Blueprints or C++

                        ~

                        Hope that helps



                        Steam Early Access: Drunk On Nectar - The Nature Simulator

                        UE4 Plugins: DoN’s Dynamic Mesh FX | DoN’s 3D Pathfinding

                        Comment


                          Hi, I using this plug-in in UE4.18.
                          I have a problem when i paint to the mesh that rotated to some direction.
                          The projectioned decal has wrong scaling when mesh's rotation changed.
                          Can i fix this problem if i use plug-in of 4.20 with Latest UE?

                          Comment


                            Originally posted by Rita Shinenen View Post
                            Hi, I using this plug-in in UE4.18.
                            I have a problem when i paint to the mesh that rotated to some direction.
                            The projectioned decal has wrong scaling when mesh's rotation changed.
                            Can i fix this problem if i use plug-in of 4.20 with Latest UE?
                            Major Bugfix - Skeletal Decal Sizes are now consistent

                            Thanks to Rita Shinenen 's excellent bug report I was able to diagnose and resolve the longstanding issue of inconsistent decal sizes (on skeletal meshes) which other users like cpenny20 have also mentioned in the past.

                            I have sent a hotfix to the former for testing, if all goes well the patch will be formally introduced along with the 4.21 update for the plugin.

                            Thanks again to Rita Shinenen!

                            Steam Early Access: Drunk On Nectar - The Nature Simulator

                            UE4 Plugins: DoN’s Dynamic Mesh FX | DoN’s 3D Pathfinding

                            Comment


                              Hi, i but this awesome plugin,
                              but I do not know how to set the material for my character, once I'm going to wear the uv1 mesh paint (Don_mesh_paint_uv1), what should I do?

                              Error in paint stroke component: "This materias is not configured for layer 0.."

                              Comment


                                When i shoot anemy, i see the stroke at same position, how i can do like in video with batterfly please?
                                Attached Files

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X