Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    Originally posted by RodenHirata View Post
    An example of Sequencer usage would be painting during a cutscene - for example, a wall having a decal applied at a specific time so it looks like a character in the cutscene put it on the wall.
    Yes, that would be a cool feature indeed! It is technically feasible via editor-support + save-load/etc (latter is already available as you noted) but it will take some time and effort to design this properly, so I can't commit to this feature just yet... maybe for a future update depending on how easy it is to implement, but unconfirmed at this time...

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by VSZ View Post
    Runtime/in-game functionality is the main focus of the plugin, editor usage has not been tested/supported. I do know some plugin customers who found a way to run it in editor mode (with some tinkering) for landscape painting driven by splines, but as I have not personally tested this myself it is not an officially blessed feature.

Can you elaborate on your Sequencer usecase though? If it makes sense I may be interested in adding official editor-time usage support for a future update.
    Thanks for your answers, they're very helpful! An example of Sequencer usage would be painting during a cutscene - for example, a wall having a decal applied at a specific time so it looks like a character in the cutscene put it on the wall. Would something like that be possible? I think it would be a cool feature I understand from your videos that paint effects can be loaded back into memory, so it seems possible I think?
    Last edited by Krenade; 03-12-2018, 06:12 PM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Hi Don, can it paint easily onto character meshes I got from the marketplace?
    You'll need to prepare a 2nd UV channel for the character meshes as described in these knowledge base articles - Character Painting FAQ, Preparing your Mesh for Painting. That means you will need to export your marketplace meshes to your 3D tool of choice and reimport them back after adding the 2nd UV channel. This step is not required if the first UV channel has no overlapping faces, though that is very rare.

It seems good for a damage system?
    Yes, that is one of the primary usecases for this plugin!

Also does it work well with the sequencer?
    Runtime/in-game functionality is the main focus of the plugin, editor usage has not been tested/supported. I do know some plugin customers who found a way to run it in editor mode (with some tinkering) for landscape painting driven by splines, but as I have not personally tested this myself it is not an officially blessed feature.

Can you elaborate on your Sequencer usecase though? If it makes sense I may be interested in adding official editor-time usage support for a future update.

Thanks, looks like a great tool.
    Thank you

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Hi Don, can it paint easily onto character meshes I got from the marketplace? It seems good for a damage system? Also does it work well with the sequencer? Thanks, looks like a great tool.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Tomorrow (13th) is the last day of the sale, just as a reminder!

If you're wondering whether this plugin will be useful for your project be sure to check out the video trailer and online knowledge-base to learn why practically every single game/project stands to benefit from the plugin's rich feature-set.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Spring Sale 50%discount

Just a reminder that the plugin is available at 50% off for a limited time.

The plugin is currently a "Featured" title on the Marketplace and has also been very well-received by its users.

Nearly every game/project will benefit from the plugin's rich functionality so do take the time to check it out!

Marketplace Purchase Link
    Last edited by VSZ; 03-08-2018, 03:52 AM.

Leave a comment:

• replied

Just use a TwoSidedSign node and Lerp as desired. The value returned by the node indicates whether the current pixel being shaded is part of a backface or not, so you can use that information to selectively blacken out those. See the material function MF_SimpleCraterEffect that comes with the sample project for more (you should be able to load it whether or not you have the plugin...)
    Awesome thank you !

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Maxime.Dupart View Post
    Hello VSZ, i was wondering how you managed to get the inside of your masked mesh appear black ?
    Thanks !
    Just use a TwoSidedSign node and Lerp as desired. The value returned by the node indicates whether the current pixel being shaded is part of a backface or not, so you can use that information to selectively blacken out those. See the material function MF_SimpleCraterEffect that comes with the sample project for more (you should be able to load it whether or not you have the plugin...)

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Hello VSZ, i was wondering how you managed to get the inside of your masked mesh appear black ?
    Thanks !

Leave a comment:

• replied
    @FrostyElkArne - Thanks for sharing this information! I didn't receive a notification for your post so just saw it now.

I'll investigate this for the next update, there's several improvements/updates for this plugin that need to be pushed out too.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Awesome plugin, we are using it for impact effects to start with.

But I have found a problem on high latency(300-400 ping) servers. I am getting "Ensure condition failed: UnwrapperMaterialInstance" in the DonMeshPainterGlobalActor.
    After some debugging it seems there is a race condition between the OnRep_ActivePainterComponents and BeginPlay. I have seen similar problems in my own project, you can't use BeginPlay to do init stuff.
    After moving the creation of material instances to "PreInitializeComponents" the error is gone.

Hope this can help you handle the error reports for this issue.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Mock Up Games

The smaller your brush size, the more accurate the supplied hit location (and therefore your collision) must be. This explains why increasing the brush size helps with your issue, it's because the proximity test used by the brush (to determine whether a given pixel on your character should receive paint) succeeds and reaches the eyes at higher values, whereas at lower brush sizes the required proximity to those pixels was not attained.

With that background out of the way, for intricate sections like eyes there's a few things you can try:

1. Physics Asset Refinement / Per-Poly-Collision (for testing)
    I'm not convinced that your physics asset is accurate enough to paint around the curvature of eyes, simply because it would take a significant amount of effort to jig a physics asset accurately enough to envelop such organic surfaces (for small brush sizes) just using the simple collision bodies that PhAT offers (sphere/capsule/etc).

For testing purposes first try per-poly collision (set in Persona) to achieve a baseline for the best kind of results you can expect. Then work your way up to a sufficiently accurate physics asset. Note:- In previous engine versions I've run into some bugs with enabling per-polly collision. I do not know if these have been fixed so before trying to paint first ensure that per poly collision is actually enabled. I've seen cases where collision simply disappears altogether.

2. UV refinement: After you're satisfied with the physics asset, refine the UVs. There's no issues with your UV setup (afaict), but there may be scope for refinement. First try to reduce the number of UV islands to just a few large contiguous ones. Especially around tiny areas like the head and eyes try to ensure that areas that likely to be painted occupy a large contiguous surface. The "Paintmap UV" (UV1/etc) is totally independent of your main UV0 so you can rework the paintmap any way you like without affecting your character's regular texture work. Use this to your advantage to give extra resolution / coverage to desired areas.

To answer your question about UV naming convention, you can call it whatever you like in your modeling application. Ultimately the UV index and the paint node you choose (Don_Mesh_Paint_UV1/etc) are what matter. For finding the UV channel in Persona, see this screenshot:

Spoiler

3. Texture Resolution
    See this KB article on bumping up the texture resolution. With the other steps compete, it would be useful to know if you're seeing any benefit from increasing resolution up to 2k (from the default 1k).

Let me know how it goes!
    Wow, thats all the info I needed. Thanks for the well typed and effective reply. I will give it all a go.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Mock Up Games

The smaller your brush size, the more accurate the supplied hit location (and therefore your collision) must be. This explains why increasing the brush size helps with your issue, it's because the proximity test used by the brush (to determine whether a given pixel on your character should receive paint) succeeds and reaches the eyes at higher values, whereas at lower brush sizes the required proximity to those pixels was not attained.

With that background out of the way, for intricate sections like eyes there's a few things you can try:

1. Physics Asset Refinement / Per-Poly-Collision (for testing)
    I'm not convinced that your physics asset is accurate enough to paint around the curvature of eyes, simply because it would take a significant amount of effort to jig a physics asset accurately enough to envelop such organic surfaces (for small brush sizes) just using the simple collision bodies that PhAT offers (sphere/capsule/etc).

For testing purposes first try per-poly collision (set in Persona) to achieve a baseline for the best kind of results you can expect. Then work your way up to a sufficiently accurate physics asset. Note:- In previous engine versions I've run into some bugs with enabling per-polly collision. I do not know if these have been fixed so before trying to paint first ensure that per poly collision is actually enabled. I've seen cases where collision simply disappears altogether.

2. UV refinement: After you're satisfied with the physics asset, refine the UVs. There's no issues with your UV setup (afaict), but there may be scope for refinement. First try to reduce the number of UV islands to just a few large contiguous ones. Especially around tiny areas like the head and eyes try to ensure that areas that likely to be painted occupy a large contiguous surface. The "Paintmap UV" (UV1/etc) is totally independent of your main UV0 so you can rework the paintmap any way you like without affecting your character's regular texture work. Use this to your advantage to give extra resolution / coverage to desired areas.

To answer your question about UV naming convention, you can call it whatever you like in your modeling application. Ultimately the UV index and the paint node you choose (Don_Mesh_Paint_UV1/etc) are what matter. For finding the UV channel in Persona, see this screenshot:

Spoiler

3. Texture Resolution
    See this KB article on bumping up the texture resolution. With the other steps compete, it would be useful to know if you're seeing any benefit from increasing resolution up to 2k (from the default 1k).

Let me know how it goes!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Hi again VSZ,

Thanks for the quick reply sorry for my delay in response. That was what I did in blender, I separated so each had its own island, was I supposed to name the new uv layer something specific? UV1? Also, I am not seeing a UV section at all in the persona.

I also, tested my material on the demo character in my setup as you suggested. I saw the same behaviour, while I was able to paint on any spot with a decent size brush when I made the brush real small the same issue happened, I was unable to paint on the chest area of the demo character. I tried the same thing in the sample project with nothing changed on the paint demo area and the same thing is kinda happening there but to a lesser extent, when the brush is real small it tends to not paint on some spots like the chest. This is worse on my skeletal mesh, happens on chest and around eye area and some other spots. I put your m balloon material instance from demo character on mine, and it does same thing exactly. So that rules out material setup, when brush is larger I can easily paint on the spots that are giving trouble, so I don't think it the UV. I am getting collision on the sphere trace I'm using and its registering hits so I don't think its the Physics asset. But I am using a sphere trace like you do, so color me confused. I could just limit the size of the brush to be a decent sized brush and all works fine, but I was hoping to use smaller brushes for detailed stuff like warpaint and makeup done manually. Really just as small as it is in the demo, but even there you see it happen a little when you try to paint the middle of the chest or parts of the antennae with the min brush size you allow in demo.

I would of quoted your response but for some reason the forums aren't letting me quote lol.. I am going to screw with it more, redo the 2nd uv again and try a few things. Thanks for your time and help, I appreciate it.
    Last edited by 6gg Studios; 01-18-2018, 02:44 PM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    4.18 Morph Target issue update
    ---

UE-54099 has been officially logged as an engine bug by Epic.

Please upvote this bug to indicate community interest if you're affected by it or even if you plan to use morph targets in any capacity. That will help aid in quicker resolution

(for reference: original post)

Originally posted by speedpacer View Post
    Thank your for your time! The spline-to-landscape painting, specifically for roads, is something I've been looking for for years but I haven't found a lot of information on allowing the player to do so at runtime. This sounds in line with what I've been thinking and is probably the road I want to go down.
    Good luck!
    Last edited by VSZ; 01-16-2018, 04:32 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X