UWorks (Steamworks C++/BP)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by michalss View Post
    Nope it is simply not there neither server browser example. I manage to make dedicated server from your video, Works perfectly btw.. nice work.. Hehe to be honest nothing from video from first page is not there..

EDIT : Sorry found it..
    No problem! Thanks for the kind words! Hope you continue to enjoy it!

Comment

Okay so, I got a copy of the plugin and have started work on integrating it into my project (which already made use of Steam OSS). A couple of quarms so far..

1 - The first is the documentation / setup guide or lack thereof. I was able to get UWorks running correctly eventually, but didn't realise I had to disable to Steam OSS entirely (more on this in a sec). Essentially my defaultengine.ini now has nothing regarding steam in there, and instead I have a UWorks entry for it. I asked in Discord about this and got an answer pretty quick, but it would be nice to provide a quick setup guide!

2 - Next is the location of configuration settings. I notice that UWorks config settings are saved to the Game.ini file, but it would be much more preferable IMO to have them saved to DefaultEngine.ini to match other sub-systems. I just edited the plugin to do this for me.

3 - This is my major gripe with UWorks so far, and might actually end up with me not being able to use it (bit of a bummer given the up-front price). The issue is that UWorks is NOT integrated as an Online Subsystem, so lots of core engine functionality now doesn't work or worse, crashes for me. For example, getting the NickName from ULocalPlayer relies on an OnlineIdentityInterface. Since I have disabled Steam OSS entirely now, that function no longer works properly or returns the expect result. I could of course override this and wrap things in #ifdef's, but that's not ideal.

With my game being cross-platform (PS4, Xbox One and Steam) - it's important to me that I am able to write code that is as cross-compatible as possible. I would MUCH rather UWorks was created as an online sub system instead of a as a library, because this is going to cause me real problems.

Unless this is something you are working on, I'm currently either going to have to step away from UWorks and use it as reference for my writing my own plugin, or create wrapper classes to make UWorks and online sub system. I was kind of expecting this to be the case already so it's a bit of a bummer that it's not.

EDIT: I've read back some posts in the thread and also been made aware that a OSS replacement is in the pipeline for UWorks, so I'll just hang on a while my own fault for not checking first!
      Last edited by TheJamsh; 07-13-2017, 08:17 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by TheJamsh View Post
        Okay so, I got a copy of the plugin and have started work on integrating it into my project (which already made use of Steam OSS). A couple of quarms so far..

1 - The first is the documentation / setup guide or lack thereof. I was able to get UWorks running correctly eventually, but didn't realise I had to disable to Steam OSS entirely (more on this in a sec). Essentially my defaultengine.ini now has nothing regarding steam in there, and instead I have a UWorks entry for it. I asked in Discord about this and got an answer pretty quick, but it would be nice to provide a quick setup guide!

2 - Next is the location of configuration settings. I notice that UWorks config settings are saved to the Game.ini file, but it would be much more preferable IMO to have them saved to DefaultEngine.ini to match other sub-systems. I just edited the plugin to do this for me.

3 - This is my major gripe with UWorks so far, and might actually end up with me not being able to use it (bit of a bummer given the up-front price). The issue is that UWorks is NOT integrated as an Online Subsystem, so lots of core engine functionality now doesn't work or worse, crashes for me. For example, getting the NickName from ULocalPlayer relies on an OnlineIdentityInterface. Since I have disabled Steam OSS entirely now, that function no longer works properly or returns the expect result. I could of course override this and wrap things in #ifdef's, but that's not ideal.

With my game being cross-platform (PS4, Xbox One and Steam) - it's important to me that I am able to write code that is as cross-compatible as possible. I would MUCH rather UWorks was created as an online sub system instead of a as a library, because this is going to cause me real problems.

Unless this is something you are working on, I'm currently either going to have to step away from UWorks and use it as reference for my writing my own plugin, or create wrapper classes to make UWorks and online sub system. I was kind of expecting this to be the case already so it's a bit of a bummer that it's not.

EDIT: I've read back some posts in the thread and also been made aware that a OSS replacement is in the pipeline for UWorks, so I'll just hang on a while my own fault for not checking first!
        So, [MENTION=155]TheJamsh[/MENTION] and I talked on Discord, as a consequence of this reply, and agreed to also post here a summary of that conversation for any potential buyers reading this. Here it is:

1 - Right before he wrote this, I had uploaded a YouTube playlist under the name "UWorks (Getting Started)" which you can find in the original post of this thread. If that feels incomplete or confusing in any way, I encourage everyone to write their feedback here or on Discord and I'll do my best to improve it.

2 - Sounds like a good idea! The config section will be slightly reworked with the addition of the UWorksSubsystem and UWorksWeb modules in the near future. Definitely considering this!

3 - I pointed out that I've mentioned several times an OnlineSubsystemUWorks is currently NOT included. I will emphasize on this once more:

UWorks is a tool which provides easy access to the Steam SDK. This includes the entire framework used in the backend of the OnlineSubsystemSteam, but does NOT include an OnlineSubsystemUWorks at the moment. DO NOT BUY based on that and announced future plans. The $85 price tag is correlated to the current contents only, as mentioned in the video as well! This price is considerably lower than the Unity equivalent ($200 before it turned open souce and free) and will increase with future updates. I am aware the price is higher than most plugins on the Epic MP, but at the same time, this category is severely lacking in products.

The crashes he mentioned are related to using OnlineSubsystemSteam and UWorks at the same time, which I've mentioned multiple times, in this thread and on Discord, is not recommended. UWorks is intended to be a complete replacement for OnlineSubsystemSteam and more! To everyone reading this, I recommend watching the "Introduction" and the "Contributors & Updates" videos from the playlist linked in the original thread.

I would also like to mention that I've offerred TheJamsh a refund which he declined due to being happy with what he got, despite the points outlined above. With this occassion, I'd like to thank him once again for the kind words, the interest and the purchase!

P.S. For future purchases, I will not refund based on information which can be found in the thread and/or videos. This was the first purchase, out of tens, where a buyer accidentally misunderstood what he was buying. Once again, I urge potential customers to read thoroughly and ask me anything they feel like to ensure they know exactly what they get! (PM on forum or find me live on Discord, where I answer almost every day)

Comment

Can confirm the above, although there is not a replacement for the Steam OSS (yet) - one is in the works. Very happy with the product though, it's more than worth the price tag.

I plan to chuck in a few extra $$'s when the OSS replacement is complete

Comment

Just received a status update from the Epic Games Marketplace team. In short, they've successfully completed yet another in-depth review (for 4.16) but still insist on adding comments. This is essentially nothing more than copy-pasting the Steam SDK comments, but if I'm going to do it, I might as well do it once and do it good so I'll remake and improve them by using the engine format:

Code:
            /**
            * Get an achievement object which was previously synced from the server
            *  [MENTION=209895]param[/MENTION] PlayerId - The uid of the player we are reading achievements for
            *  [MENTION=209895]param[/MENTION] AchievementId - The id of the achievement we are looking up
            *  [MENTION=209895]param[/MENTION] OutAchievement - The achievement object we are searching for
            *  [MENTION=82295]r[/MENTION]eturn Whether achievements were obtained
            */
            virtual EOnlineCachedResult::Type GetCachedAchievement( const FUniqueNetId& PlayerId, const FString& AchievementId, FOnlineAchievement& OutAchievement) = 0;

Comment

Just a bit of feedback. I approached Vlad with some questions regarding the issues I was having trying to implement Steamworks on my own. Although I wasn't his customer at the time, he went out of his way to help me figure it out. At the end I decided not to make something that's already been done, so I bought the plugin. Again Vlad was most helpful in making it work properly for all of my use cases. All in all, I highly recommend this to anyone in need of a Steamworks implementation that closely resembles the native API.

Comment

Also would like to recommended this great plugin. Vlad is very nice person and very very helpful. To be hones if you need steamworks run perfectly this plugin will help you to do that, so go and buy it coz it worth every penny, not mention a great a prof. support which comes with it..

Comment

Im really liking the plugin so far, but I probably won't integrate it properly into my project until the OSS replacement is done because I want cross-OSS compatibility in this instance, if ive understood correctly it is basically just going to be Steam OSS except it works properly? Do you have a timeframe on when it will be done? Im also happy to give some extra money when its released, its saving me lots of time already in its current form, thanks

Comment

I am holding off on fully developing using it until its in OSS form as well, so would be curious to now if you have started on that yet.

Check out my discord -> https://discord.gg/kQdVwJ3

Follow us on twitter to get updates on new products and special offers -> https://twitter.com/BlackFangTech

Black Fang Technologies' products -> https://www.unrealengine.com/marketp...20Technologies

Comment

Originally posted by Razer313 View Post
                      Im really liking the plugin so far, but I probably won't integrate it properly into my project until the OSS replacement is done because I want cross-OSS compatibility in this instance, if ive understood correctly it is basically just going to be Steam OSS except it works properly? Do you have a timeframe on when it will be done? Im also happy to give some extra money when its released, its saving me lots of time already in its current form, thanks
                      Originally posted by BlackRang666 View Post
                      I am holding off on fully developing using it until its in OSS form as well, so would be curious to now if you have started on that yet.
                      Started working on it, have the framework + interface headers, but no implementations. Still haven't finished commenting the plugin for Epic and resending them. And yes, it's going to be very similar to Steam OSS, but it's going to work well and allow you to change various properties in configs and during gameplay (i.e. server name via a BP function). The main objectives are to solve issues such as hosting, servers not being visible, servers not working with seamless travel so everything related to sessions will take priority over the rest. Some interfaces require the Steam Web API which I've started implementing (same status, got framework, no implementations) and will be left for later.

Planning to update the commented version with frameworks after I send it to Epic, for buyers who wish to have a head-start and do their implementations before I do mine.

Comment

Hi Vlad, its HALEIAN. I am working with Victor who is assisting me with a project, I purchased your plugin and require some assistance with setup and use of the plugin. I can forward you a copy of the receipt to an email or text it to you, but did not want to post it to your thread. Either way, if you could please assist Victor.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by HALEIAN. View Post
                          Hi Vlad, its HALEIAN. I am working with Victor who is assisting me with a project, I purchased your plugin and require some assistance with setup and use of the plugin. I can forward you a copy of the receipt to an email or text it to you, but did not want to post it to your thread. Either way, if you could please assist Victor.
                          Hey! Thanks! I talked to Victor and sorted it out! We're all good here!

Here are the exact same announcements I wrote on Discord:

A1: Version 16-01 is now live on Gumroad and submitted to Epic! This version marks the end of the "early access" period of the product. Its associated release notes contain all the changes made from the first release and can be found here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/jenqoiwzqe...es-01.txt?dl=0

A2: The Discord channels have been reorganized to be in line with the new vision of the product and its main selling points: Core, Web, Subsystem, Example. This should represent final major change related to the objectives and contents of the product.

A3: Following up on this reorganization, I'm going to remind current buyers they will receive all future updates with no additional charges (as stated before, this is a sign of my appreciation for trusting me this early, with basically no resume, as well as being what I consider to be moral/fair). Further down the road, when the above-mentioned selling points will include more content and the product will become tiered, you will receive a code to obtain the highest tier product. At this point, I haven't taken any decisions regarding the details of these tiers. Note that I do not promote this plan because people are expected to buy UWorks based on what it is, not on what it's promised to become and the price will always be set to reflect what it is.

A4: Recently, there have been a few inapropriate mentions thrown around some of the channels. Some could have been considered borderline offensive behaviour to other members of the server and others referred to a personal dispute. With this occassion, I'd like to remind everyone that injustice, drama and/or lack of respect towards other members of the server will not be tolerated. As stated in #welcome, the purpose of this server is to develop a community of individuals focused on similar goals, who are constructive and help each other, where possible, even if it's not always related to UWorks.

Comment

Version 17-01 is now live on Gumroad and submitted to Epic! This version does not contain any changes in functionality, it only fixes some warnings related to character encoding in UTF-8 and is compiled for 4.17. These are harmless Visual Studio warnings which were silent (disabled) until 4.17.

Comment

This plugin seems to be awesome! I would like to buy it but unfortunately I can't on Gumroad because of country restriction (Lebanon), so i'll just have to wait for it to be released on the marketplace.

Anyways I have a question, how much can this plugin ease my life in making a party matchmaking? Because I've been trying to do this for a long time now and still can't get it to work properly. Matchmaking with friends is a hard task because the party leader initializes the matchmaking for the party and they need to stay in the same team when a match is found, and they all have to connect to the same server.

Comment

Originally posted by KingOfProgramz View Post
                                This plugin seems to be awesome! I would like to buy it but unfortunately I can't on Gumroad because of country restriction (Lebanon), so i'll just have to wait for it to be released on the marketplace.

Anyways I have a question, how much can this plugin ease my life in making a party matchmaking? Because I've been trying to do this for a long time now and still can't get it to work properly. Matchmaking with friends is a hard task because the party leader initializes the matchmaking for the party and they need to stay in the same team when a match is found, and they all have to connect to the same server.
                                Hey! Sorry, I missed this reply of yours (should've received an e-mail, but didn't).

It should ease your life quite a bit. I'd recommend joining the Discord server and checking out #feedback for @ROJO8399's screenshots and .gif's. This guy made a very clean and elegant interface where he implemented lobbies, avatars, voice chat etc. in about 2-3 days since buying it, I think.

For the technical side of things, lobbies are stored and managed by the Steam application on your PC so you can access them at any time from any class in UE (simply put, UWorks is built as a huge library, as independent as possible from UE; so you can use it anywhere, at any time). The matchmaking algorithm is something that's out of scope of UWorks and it can be very game-specific so you would be expected to use the filtering/sorting functions from UWorks to build your own. Each Steam lobby can hold up to 250 users and you can create as many lobbies as you'd like, then apply filters and you will get a maximum of 50 lobbies that fit your filters.

Let me know if you have any other questions!

Comment

Working...
                                X