UWorks (Steamworks C++/BP)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Azarus View Post
    Sorry but i am super confused on what you offer.
    What does Online Inventories cover? Is that the steam inventory system integration and ingame trading? I would buy it as a seperate plugin instead, and i believe many people would pay $60 or more only for that.

And Peer-To-Peer Communication is that VOIP or networking?
    We're offering exactly what Steam is offering, except we offer everything in BP and we simplify the entire async framework to make it work similar to timers and events in UE4 so you don't have to implement every single async call or callback yourself (we also provide you with a way of querying multiple async calls of the same type at the same time, which is not shown in the Steamworks documentation; one example usage of this would be to query multiple server lists at the same time, such as one for ARK and one for Conan). This plugin integrates Steam the way the engine should, but doesn't.

Yes, by "Online Inventories" I mean the Steam Inventory system, along with everything it comes with, such as the trading you mentioned. (updated thread to remove the word "Online")

For your second question, Steam offers P2P separately from VOIP, but it uses P2P to actually implement VOIP. We import them separately, just as they're being provided by the API. The way they work is this: you record voice using methods of ISteamUser and send them as packets via methods from ISteamNetworking (or P2P interface, simply put).

Comment

Originally posted by vlad.serbanescu11 View Post
      We're offering exactly what Steam is offering, except we offer everything in BP and we simplify the entire async framework to make it work similar to timers and events in UE4 so you don't have to implement every single async call or callback yourself (we also provide you with a way of querying multiple async calls of the same type at the same time, which is not shown in the Steamworks documentation; one example usage of this would be to query multiple server lists at the same time, such as one for ARK and one for Conan). This plugin integrates Steam the way the engine should, but doesn't.

Yes, by "Online Inventories" I mean the Steam Inventory system, along with everything it comes with, such as the trading you mentioned. (updated thread to remove the word "Online")

For your second question, Steam offers P2P separately from VOIP, but it uses P2P to actually implement VOIP. We import them separately, just as they're being provided by the API. The way they work is this: you record voice using methods of ISteamUser and send them as packets via methods from ISteamNetworking (or P2P interface, simply put).
      Thanks i know very well what steam offers and i was just confused on your terms.
      Okay, cool so that p2p communication is actually an additional network layer over steamnetwork interface as far as i understand.

Comment

Thanks i know very well what steam offers and i was just confused on your terms.
        Okay, cool so that p2p communication is actually an additional network layer over steamnetwork interface as far as i understand.
        Basically, yes. When I listed features in the OP, I simply chose broad terms to describe the features offered by the raw Steamworks API (i.e. "Social Features" instead of saying "AvatarRGBA as UTexture2D").

We will offer a certain amount of utilities, as described briefly in the reply to Bioblaze, at number [4]. One of those utilities may be a simplification for using VOIP, or even a full demo on using VOIP. But the plugin itself is, indeed, mostly a wrapper intended to make Steamworks usage possible in BP and easier in C++.

Comment

Basically, yes. When I listed features in the OP, I simply chose broad terms to describe the features offered by the raw Steamworks API (i.e. "Social Features" instead of saying "AvatarRGBA as UTexture2D").

We will offer a certain amount of utilities, as described briefly in the reply to Bioblaze, at number [4]. One of those utilities may be a simplification for using VOIP, or even a full demo on using VOIP. But the plugin itself is, indeed, mostly a wrapper intended to make Steamworks usage possible in BP and easier in C++.
          Thanks, it is excelent.

Comment

Plug-in Sounds Amazing! ... But there's also the Double-Digit 'Post Count' to consider:

UWorks is a plugin which is intended to act as a link between UnrealEngine and Steamworks. This product exposes almost an absolute 100% of the Steamworks API to both C++ and BP.
            Overall, it sounds like you're offering a one-stop UE4 -> Can-Do-Everything-Steam-Plugin, true?
            But are there any critical but maybe less obvious limitations here that haven't been mentioned?
            For Example: When done will 'Docs' walk developers through resolving Steam nightmares:1 2 3...

6.4. About Us - We are a team of 2 friends, who wanted to start building a game on Steam and found it horribly painful. Everything evolved from there.
            Steam is a sore point for anyone who wants to focus on game dev / not reinventing the Steam wheel.
            So its exciting news, but not the same as seeing Allar / eXi offer this (100 forum titles / million posts).
            So any assurances that you're totally committed would be welcome (not withstanding Full Source etc).

Comment

Originally posted by franktech View Post
              Overall, it sounds like you're offering a one-stop UE4 -> Can-Do-Everything-Steam-Plugin, true?
              But are there any critical but maybe less obvious limitations here that haven't been mentioned?
              For Example: When done will 'Docs' walk developers through resolving Steam nightmares:1 2 3?
              Haven't been mentioned because they aren't limitations with UWorks, but only with OnlineSubsystemSteam maybe?

I'd recommend you watch the video before you draw any conclusions. You can find it at the bottom of the original thread. I know it's 12:30 mins long, but it's literally showing a new project being created with not a single issue. Switching AppID is done via 1-line in a config file.

UWorks is NOT OnlineSubsystemSteam. Whatever issues OSS has, they are not the same issues that might arise with UWorks.

Steam is a sore point for anyone who wants to focus on game dev / not reinventing the Steam wheel.
              So its exciting news, but not the same as seeing Allar / eXi offer this (100 forum titles / million posts).
              So any assurances that you're totally committed would be welcome (not withstanding Full Source etc).
              I'm not sure where you got the "reinventing the wheel" part from. I made no such claim. I explained very thoroughly that this plugin is a manual implementation of the Steamworks API, as it is being provided by Valve.

Forum posts don't equal assurance/consistency. I reached out to [MENTION=14476]eXi[/MENTION] a while back, before I started working on this. I asked him about his contracting services as offered in one of his threads. To be short, I wanted to pay him to teach me whatever he knows about OnlineSubsystems. I never even got a reply.

This is where I come from: https://www.epicgames.com/unrealtour...d-serbanescu11
              About 2 years of modding UT4, dare I say, being among the top 3 contributors on the programming side (it's hard to differentiate). Then I got banned for "reposting deleted content" just after I got into an argument in which I displayed various major security issues with UT4.
              Last edited by vlad.serbanescu11; 04-06-2017, 06:06 AM.

Comment

For Example: When done will 'Docs' walk developers through resolving Steam nightmares:1 2 3...

You understand nothing you typed made any sense correct?

Have you ever tried to implement Steam into UE4? I mean really implement it? Not that OnlineSubSystemSteam, but i mean really sit down and open up Visual Studio and tried to intergrate it into UE4?

Sounds like you havent, even though your going to reply with "Of course I have" Just Looking at his current system, it saves 100s of Hours worth of work. That saves Alot of money for these smaller indie Studios, who are barely making ends meat trying to publish a game where someone asks for 100 a hour to implement steam.

And from some of the things I`ve seen, and i`m reading this is going to be on point.

Cant wait to buy it, Just waiting for LAUNCH!

Comment

Originally posted by Bioblaze View Post
                  I agree, this is an incredibly valuable / powerful plug-in, maybe the most important available to date.
                  Before though, I had 2 valid concerns backed up with links regarding ongoing-support and app-config...
                  So not sure why that was so hard to understand, but anyway I had a useful side discussion with Vlad.

Comment

Me likez organization of well organized code and post
                    | Savior | USQLite | FSM | Object Pool | Sound Occlusion | Property Transfer | Magic Nodes | MORE |

Comment

Have you ever tried to implement Steam into UE4? I mean really implement it? Not that OnlineSubSystemSteam, but i mean really sit down and open up Visual Studio and tried to intergrate it into UE4?

Sounds like you havent, even though your going to reply with "Of course I have" Just Looking at his current system, it saves 100s of Hours worth of work. That saves Alot of money for these smaller indie Studios, who are barely making ends meat trying to publish a game where someone asks for 100 a hour to implement steam.

And from some of the things I`ve seen, and i`m reading this is going to be on point.

Cant wait to buy it, Just waiting for LAUNCH!
                      Naw, the Steam API isn't that hard.. I was waiting for a plugin like this since a year now lol. I was like somebody must be already working on this now, so i thought its pointless to start. Now finally.

Comment

Naw, the Steam API isn't that hard.. I was waiting for a plugin like this since a year now lol. I was like somebody must be already working on this now, so i thought its pointless to start. Now finally.
                        Hard enough to make you wait a year :3 for someone else to do it

Comment

Hard enough to make you wait a year :3 for someone else to do it
                          Err.. Consider me being lazy and focusing on other important stuff

The sdk is very well documented. Also there are many resources that you can use, and examples in the sdk, so you can get started on it easily. I did work with the sdk before and made various servers side apps, trading services and so on.
                          For ue4 thought i only had to wait a few months, and it keept going like that for a year.

Comment

Err.. Consider me being lazy and focusing on other important stuff

The sdk is very well documented. Also there are many resources that you can use, and examples in the sdk, so you can get started on it easily. I did work with the sdk before and made various servers side apps, trading services and so on.
                            For ue4 thought i only had to wait a few months, and it keept going like that for a year.
                            Would love to know what your smoking to tell me the SDK is very well documented. Seriously. I want some.

Comment

Would love to know what your smoking to tell me the SDK is very well documented. Seriously. I want some.
                              Ehh head over to this site: https://partner.steamgames.com/documentation
                              You can sign up it's free, or log in with your steam account. And please tell me whats that you actually can not find?

There are a wast amount of videos and tutorials and example apps there that you can already use. Not to mention the dosen of other thirdparty libraries(steam-node) and wrappers(SteamWorks.Net) that are built around steam. Also Open Steam Works that provides additional APIs interacting with steam.

But i really don't want to go off-topic here i am happy to discuss this further in a chat
                              Last edited by Azarus; 04-10-2017, 06:51 PM.

Comment

Ehh head over to this site: https://partner.steamgames.com/documentation
                                You can sign up it's free, or log in with your steam account. And please tell me whats that you actually can not find?

There are a wast amount of videos and tutorials and example apps there that you can already use. Not to mention the dosen of other thirdparty libraries(steam-node) and wrappers(SteamWorks.Net) that are built around steam. Also Open Steam Works that provides additional APIs interacting with steam.

But i really don't want to go off-topic here i am happy to discuss this further in a chat
                                <3 I love that you can google <3 Thank you. Open up the Actual SDK and start integrating it let me know how much that documentation helps

Comment

Working...
                                X