Able Ability System Info and Support Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by shain1234 View Post

yes sorry, i have been kinda smashing my way through able and just rambling in the edit box. I apologize for possibly making a complete mess, I believe the parameters are actually correct, but at the time i was thinking they were wrong due to the collision query wonkiness, I will download the project now and try it.
    https://youtu.be/MTdtKMoDaE8

here you go my dude.

Comment

https://youtu.be/MTdtKMoDaE8

here you go my dude.
      Interesting... Yea, I'm not sure why distance would affect the FOV (or vice versa). Cool, thanks for the repro video. I'll check it out.
      Able Ability System - A high performance, robust ability system for UE4. Now Available!

Comment

Think I have a simple fix, testing it right now with some other changes. Should submit it later tonight.
        Able Ability System - A high performance, robust ability system for UE4. Now Available!

Comment

Originally posted by ExtraLifeMatt View Post
          Think I have a simple fix, testing it right now with some other changes. Should submit it later tonight.
          pssst, not to be "that guy" but if you could do something about the other collision types, all having their root at the center, that could be awsome. if i dynamicly change the size of a box collider for example would push away from the character that would be super neat. ive been trying to think of ways of having a null object kinda dloat around at a center spot but then im also wondering how i could attach ti and im coming up blank. thanks !

thinking on they above, maybe i could do a change of context in the able editor ? directly grab a component and use it something like that ? im sure theres a way with your systems, i understand you cant just change the root of a collision thing lol. ill have a think and a tinker. ive got some cool dynamic ground indicators too that match the collision perfectly. i might make a tutorial or something.
          Last edited by shain1234; 07-26-2020, 05:37 PM.

Comment

pssst, not to be "that guy" but if you could do something about the other collision types, all having their root at the center, that could be awsome. if i dynamicly change the size of a box collider for example would push away from the character that would be super neat. ive been trying to think of ways of having a null object kinda dloat around at a center spot but then im also wondering how i could attach ti and im coming up blank. thanks !

thinking on they above, maybe i could do a change of context in the able editor ? directly grab a component and use it something like that ? im sure theres a way with your systems, i understand you cant just change the root of a collision thing lol. ill have a think and a tinker. ive got some cool dynamic ground indicators too that match the collision perfectly. i might make a tutorial or something.
            They do all have their root at their center. Or are you saying you want an option to skip that? Ideally you'd just update the offset when you scale the size to account for things. It's certainly possible be add an option for that, but I'd need to know more on what you're trying for.

Comment

Is this in the Editor? Or at runtime? Looks like you're trying to manually add an Ability to the Root Set or some such to avoid GC. That shouldn't be necessary.
              this is at runtime on a packaged game and I don't think I tried to manually add an ability to the Root Set but I'll keep looking.

Comment

Originally posted by TotallyKuro View Post

this is at runtime on a packaged game and I don't think I tried to manually add an ability to the Root Set but I'll keep looking.
                Hmmm, the only thing that seems odd is it says it's in the Persistent Level. Like you dropped an Ability into a Map itself (which shouldn't be possible).

Comment

Yeah specially since it worked on packaged games before and I haven't really change how I use abilities or Engine version

Comment

They do all have their root at their center. Or are you saying you want an option to skip that? Ideally you'd just update the offset when you scale the size to account for things. It's certainly possible be add an option for that, but I'd need to know more on what you're trying for.
                    yes sorry, offsetting is exactly what I mean. So if you use a box trace for an attack, and I increase the size of the box it won't clip through my character.

Comment

Yeah specially since it worked on packaged games before and I haven't really change how I use abilities or Engine version
                      So it looks like that error is only fatal in Shipping builds. Are you trying this on a shipping build?

Pulling apart the error:
                      [2020.07.26-04.40.57:711][873]LogGarbage: Warning: Disregard for GC object Function /Game/Character/Abilities/CC/KnockDown.KnockDown_C:ExecuteUbergraph_KnockDown referencing Player_C /Game/Maps/Arena_Game.Arena_Game:PersistentLevel.Player_C_2147482362 which is not part of root set
                      In your Ability /Game/Character/Abilities/CC/KnockDown, in the Function "KnockDown", you are apparently saving off a hard reference to a Player - which isn't actually valid as that object doesn't exist in the root set (i.e. the level data).

Any chance you can post a screenshot of your BP for that function?

Comment

This is all I'm doing in KnockDown and I am trying this on a shipping build.
                        Attached Files

Comment

I had issues with 3d cone query's as well Good im not using collision query except for sphere in my abilities.

Comment

whats the easier way to reference and change variables on specific abilities?

say for example I had an ability and it reads my player damage BUT it has its own values too, 2-300 lightning added flat damage. now inside the ability, I can get to this, but what if I'm I need to either get that info or manipulate that info from outside?

I've been considering doing a loop of my current abilities I have equipped and saved them into an array to grab later, but I'm not sure if this will ruin all your work with it being all "scratchpad" or whatever, which btw is another thing I cant figure out. no idea how to use or why to use scratch pads. it's probably this exact reason or something stupid. anyways! thanks for any help.
                            Last edited by shain1234; 07-27-2020, 11:15 AM.

Comment

This is all I'm doing in KnockDown and I am trying this on a shipping build.
                              Hmmm, not sure then. All I can suggest is disconnect that function and add nodes one by one till you find what's causing the issue.
                              Originally posted by AngeIV View Post
                              I had issues with 3d cone query's as well Good im not using collision query except for sphere in my abilities.
                              What issues? I'm looking at 3D Cone right now.
                              whats the easier way to reference and change variables on specific abilities?

say for example I had an ability and it reads my player damage BUT it has its own values too, 2-300 lightning damage added flat damage. now inside the ability, I can get to this, but what I'm I need to either get that info or manipulate that info from outside?

I've been considering doing a loop of my current abilities I have equipped and saved them into an array to grab later, but I'm not sure if this will ruin all your work with it being all "scratchpad" or whatever, which btw is another thing I cant figure out. no idea how to use or why to use scratch pads. it's probably this exact reason or something stupid. anyways! thanks for any help.
                              Abilities are, by default, read only. The Scratchpad is a small structure that is allocated per-Task where it can read/write data to. So when the Ability is about to execute, it asks each Task to allocate a scratch pad (and each Task decides what that scratch pad looks like, or if it needs one at all), and then the Task will read/write to it during execution.

Ideally, you want to treat Abilities as read only and they ask the Player or some other system/subsystem for data. So, you can had a data table somewhere that it feeds values to your Ability, or make some other system that fits your needs. Or make a Custom Task that does your damage calculations and you can make your own scratch pad class that you can read / write values to.

Comment

Hmmm, not sure then. All I can suggest is disconnect that function and add nodes one by one till you find what's causing the issue.

What issues? I'm looking at 3D Cone right now.

Abilities are, by default, read only. The Scratchpad is a small structure that is allocated per-Task where it can read/write data to. So when the Ability is about to execute, it asks each Task to allocate a scratch pad (and each Task decides what that scratch pad looks like, or if it needs one at all), and then the Task will read/write to it during execution.

Ideally, you want to treat Abilities as read only and they ask the Player or some other system/subsystem for data. So, you can had a data table somewhere that it feeds values to your Ability, or make some other system that fits your needs. Or make a Custom Task that does your damage calculations and you can make your own scratch pad class that you can read / write values to.
                                thanks makes a lot of sense, ill make a handler component to hold any dynamic data i might need that i can manipulate and pull from. thanks !

Comment

Working...
                                X