Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Able Ability System Info and Support Thread

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Hi there, first of all great product. However i've ran into an issue. I cant get the move to and turn to nodes to work. I tried to use Able to implement a dodge roll like Dark Souls.
    Is it possible to get an working example for those or an updated documentation?
    I figured out most of functionality of the plugin (e.g how location or Targets are set), but for me "turn to" always turns towards the global x-Axis and "Move to" simply does nothing although the values i entered look correct for me.
    Apologies if i missed something obvious
    Regards

    Comment


      Submitted Able v3.31:

      • Fixed a crash when trying to allocate "Set Vector Parameter" on the Set Material Parameter Task.
      • Fixed Vector Parameters dropping the alpha/w channel.
      • Changed the CastChecked in the Custom Task to just a Cast with a warning. Still not sure how this can occur, but if your BP is somehow returning nullptr - it will no longer crash you. Obviously you'll need to check your ScratchPad IsValid when grabbing it.
      Originally posted by Abarudra View Post
      Hi there, first of all great product. However i've ran into an issue. I cant get the move to and turn to nodes to work. I tried to use Able to implement a dodge roll like Dark Souls.
      Is it possible to get an working example for those or an updated documentation?
      I figured out most of functionality of the plugin (e.g how location or Targets are set), but for me "turn to" always turns towards the global x-Axis and "Move to" simply does nothing although the values i entered look correct for me.
      Apologies if i missed something obvious
      Regards
      Move To requires the Player Movement Component IIRC (or a Nav agent). Turn to should work as expected, I know some people are using it as expected. You should be able to turn on Verbose mode for Turn To and Move To and see if you get more info.

      As for a Dark Souls-style dodge, I would actually make that as a new Custom Movement state (again, assuming you're using the Character Movement Component). That way you can tweak a lot of things and the check for if you should play your dodge roll animation / ignore damage or whatever - simply becomes "Am I in the Dodge movement state?". It also works will roll backs and all that fun networking stuff.

      Able Ability System - A high performance, robust ability system for UE4. Now Available!

      Comment


        Changed the CastChecked in the Custom Task to just a Cast with a warning. Still not sure how this can occur, but if your BP is somehow returning nullptr - it will no longer crash you. Obviously you'll need to check your ScratchPad IsValid when grabbing it.
        Thanks so much!

        I'm not sure how helpful this will be, but the issue seems to be branching out for me. I'm running into another problem where new custom tasks I've created (to replace the crashy ones) don't even execute until I open the ability in the editor and save it. Not sure if it's just a compounding issue with creating new assets after this crash started to occur or it's something with how it interacts with source control. I'm using Perforce.
        I inserted an IsValid check in CreateScratchPad with a breakpoint for one of my tasks, but it doesn't even make it to that. The game crashes before that function runs.

        Comment


          Originally posted by ExtraLifeMatt View Post

          Turn to should work as expected, I know some people are using it as expected. You should be able to turn on Verbose mode for Turn To and Move To and see if you get more info.
          It works for Actors, but TurnTo had no Implementation for TargetType Location.

          Also, variables set for Blueprint CustomTasks (haven't tried cpp ones yet) in Ability->TaskProperties keep getting reset to defaults after recompilation of said Task.

          Comment


            Originally posted by Pwnographyzqt View Post

            It works for Actors, but TurnTo had no Implementation for TargetType Location.

            Also, variables set for Blueprint CustomTasks (haven't tried cpp ones yet) in Ability->TaskProperties keep getting reset to defaults after recompilation of said Task.
            Ah, that could be. Location Target Type came in pretty late.

            C++ variables should be fine. Blueprint variables are a different cat. The class gets re-instantiated after recompile, so it's possible it could lose properties. I would definitely suggest C++ tasks over Custom Tasks if possible, or use a "Measure twice, cut once" approach to custom tasks (use one Ability to hammer out all the required changes to your custom task - then use it in other Abilities, so you aren't constantly recompiling the task).
            Able Ability System - A high performance, robust ability system for UE4. Now Available!

            Comment

            Working...
            X