Able Ability System Info and Support Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AngeIV View Post
    ExtraLifeMatt - I just wanted to say thank you for all the support It as a great help. I have tested the entire system yesterday and everything seems to work as expected of the setup that is my game specific.
    Ease of use of ABLE is incomparable with for example standard ability system. It's a 10/10 product! I cant imagine starting a new project now in other way than activating this plugin on it
    Once again - thank you!
    No problem AngelV. I hope it helps you make an amazing game(s). Feel free to leave a review if you haven't already as that really helps.

Cheers!
    Able Ability System - A high performance, robust ability system for UE4. Now Available!

Comment

left one long time ago. But it doesn't show my name as it is bought on my another account. This is my personal forum account. I also use 2 company accounts.

Comment

Originally posted by ExtraLifeMatt View Post

I was Able to get it working locally, right now I have a Custom Task that just picks a random number, stores it in the custom scratch pad, and then displays that number when the task is done.

You can check my setup here:
        https://www.dropbox.com/s/gbawgn9koh...omTask.7z?dl=0

I was also able to reproduce the crash when recompiling Custom Tasks in Abilities. I'm still working on that fix however.

EDIT: Looks like there is a new BP Reinstancer, going to look at setting that up for Able Blueprints.
        So, it took me some time to get back to all this. I downloaded your setup and it actually has the same problem if I launch the project as a standalone game, giving the cast of nullptr error.

Comment

Originally posted by Maxilos View Post

So, it took me some time to get back to all this. I downloaded your setup and it actually has the same problem if I launch the project as a standalone game, giving the cast of nullptr error.
          Standalone Game does some weird things with BPs. Does this occur in a packaged project? I'll keep poking at it.

Able 3.29 Submitted. Notes below:

• Fixed a crash when adding Instanced Parameters to Play Particle Effect Task (h/t Roland)
          • Added an option to enable Preview Asset rotation. It's defaulted to OFF so, if your mesh is suddenly twisted, just turn the option back on - but hopefully this fixes the reverse case which seemed more prevalent.
          • Added an option to Play Animation Task to reset the Ability Instance Mode at the end of the Task or not. Previously this was always on, but it does cause an issue for some instances given that resetting the mode also resets the animation tick, so if you see some weirdness at the end of your Play Animation, try disabling this. This is defaulted to ON.
          • Re-added the Timeline Marker and Scrubbing the Timeline to the Ability Editor. (Whoops, no idea how this got removed, h/t Jeremy for bringing it to my attention).
          • Removed deprecated Collision Channel field from Query/Sweep Tasks to reduce confusion.
          • Fix to flickering on Collision shapes when in the Editor. (h/t Jeremy)
          • Made the Ability Editor a bit smarter about how to watch new Abilities / Custom Tasks for compilation in-case it needs to recreate them.
          • NEW FEATURE BETA:
            • Instancing Support - Like GAS, Able now let's you select how you want an Ability to be instanced. You can find this option under the "Misc" section on the Ability itself.
              • Default - Uses the current behavior which means Abilities are basically read only and all state needs to be in the ScratchPad structure. This has the benefit of only ever needing 1 Ability object in memory at a time, even if there are 100 people using it. However, it does have it's limits.
              • Instanced - Creates a new Ability Object at the time of the Ability Execution. That Ability can be written to, state can be stored in it, etc. It will be destroyed/GC'd at the end of the execution. Note that BOTH the Client/Server both get their own unique object, so variables ARE NOT shared in this mode.
              • Instanced (Replicated) - Creates a new Ability Object on the Server, which then gets replicated down to the Client. Variables that are marked for replication should come down with it, update as expected, etc. Once the Server finishes execution, the object is cleaned up (which will clean it up on the client as well). The Client cannot locally predict Abilities marked with this tag, so I'd avoid using this on anything that isn't started on the server, or you can live with RTT lag for the Client to start playing it.
            • This feature is very much in Beta. I have done some small testing to make sure everything isn't on fire, but it needs a lot more testing before I'm happy with it. Use at your own risk, in which case please send me any bugs you find.
          Able Ability System - A high performance, robust ability system for UE4. Now Available!

Comment

Hi,

I've recently purchased this plugin and played a little bit in a seperate project. Once I tried to add this plugin to an existing one, I had troubles with opening the Ability Editor at all. I remember in your wiki, that the preview character has to have an AbilityComponent attached. Otherwise the Editor will crash. I forgot to add one the first time opening an ability and selecting the preview character. I added the ability component later on, but can still not open die ability editor at all. Unreal just crashes with not so helpfull logs:

[2020.04.18-22.15.04:680][823]AssetCheck: New page: Asset Save: test01
            [2020.04.18-22.15.04:680][823]LogContentValidation: Display: Validating AblAbilityBlueprint /Game/xxxxx/Default/Abilities/test01.test01
            [2020.04.18-22.15.46:672][837]LogAssetEditorSubsystem: Opening Asset editor for AblAbilityBlueprint /Game/xxxxx/Default/Abilities/test01.test01
            [2020.04.18-22.15.46:945][837]LogContentBrowser: Native class hierarchy updated for 'BlueprintGraph' in 0.0011 seconds. Added 121 classes and 0 folders.
            [2020.04.18-22.15.47:937][837]LogTabManager: Warning: Cannot spawn tab because no spawner is registered for 'CompilerResults'
            [2020.04.18-22.15.47:984][837]LogSlate: Warning: The tab "CompilerResults" attempted to spawn but failed for some reason. An "unrecognized tab" will be returned instead.

It worked perfectly in a clean, empty project.

Thanks for the help!

Comment

Originally posted by Contractchiller View Post
              Hi,

I've recently purchased this plugin and played a little bit in a seperate project. Once I tried to add this plugin to an existing one, I had troubles with opening the Ability Editor at all. I remember in your wiki, that the preview character has to have an AbilityComponent attached. Otherwise the Editor will crash. I forgot to add one the first time opening an ability and selecting the preview character. I added the ability component later on, but can still not open die ability editor at all. Unreal just crashes with not so helpfull logs:

[2020.04.18-22.15.04:680][823]AssetCheck: New page: Asset Save: test01
              [2020.04.18-22.15.04:680][823]LogContentValidation: Display: Validating AblAbilityBlueprint /Game/xxxxx/Default/Abilities/test01.test01
              [2020.04.18-22.15.46:672][837]LogAssetEditorSubsystem: Opening Asset editor for AblAbilityBlueprint /Game/xxxxx/Default/Abilities/test01.test01
              [2020.04.18-22.15.46:945][837]LogContentBrowser: Native class hierarchy updated for 'BlueprintGraph' in 0.0011 seconds. Added 121 classes and 0 folders.
              [2020.04.18-22.15.47:937][837]LogTabManager: Warning: Cannot spawn tab because no spawner is registered for 'CompilerResults'
              [2020.04.18-22.15.47:984][837]LogSlate: Warning: The tab "CompilerResults" attempted to spawn but failed for some reason. An "unrecognized tab" will be returned instead.

It worked perfectly in a clean, empty project.

Thanks for the help!
              Generally that means you have some other plugin that doesn't play nice with Able (I remember the Locomotion V3 had that issue before). There's nothing in that log you posted that seems wrong. Can you get a callstack (make sure you have Debug symbols installed from the launcher) and actually copy and paste that in?

Comment

Originally posted by ExtraLifeMatt View Post

Generally that means you have some other plugin that doesn't play nice with Able (I remember the Locomotion V3 had that issue before). There's nothing in that log you posted that seems wrong. Can you get a callstack (make sure you have Debug symbols installed from the launcher) and actually copy and paste that in?
                Well kids .... don't do things when two hours past bedtime The preview character uses the smooth sync plugin. Once you mentioned plugins everything was clear to me disable the plugin, create a new "just for preview"-Character, switch the preview asset and thats it. Thanks for the help ^^

Comment

Originally posted by Contractchiller View Post

Well kids .... don't do things when two hours past bedtime The preview character uses the smooth sync plugin. Once you mentioned plugins everything was clear to me disable the plugin, create a new "just for preview"-Character, switch the preview asset and thats it. Thanks for the help ^^
                  Ah, yea, that makes sense. Smooth Sync does some stuff in the actor tick that the Ability Editor doesn't like (because it wants to control the actor tick as well).

Comment

ExtraLifeMatt
                    ExtraLifeMatt
                    Hi. Im trying to integrate this in to ALS V4 for a costumer.
                    But im stucking. It just says: Internal Systems Error.
                    Any Idea how to solve this?
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Duenner_Hering View Post
                      ExtraLifeMatt
                      ExtraLifeMatt
                      Hi. Im trying to integrate this in to ALS V4 for a costumer.
                      But im stucking. It just says: Internal Systems Error.
                      Any Idea how to solve this?
                      Internal Systems Error is the default value that is assigned in activated ability. The only way I can see you reaching that is if you have the Ability Instance policy set to "Instance (Replicated)" - in which case, it's actually fine - things just got kicked to the server. It should use that message, but that's it. That's actually a beta feature, so I wouldn't use it unless you have to - I haven't put it through it's paces yet.

I know there have been previous issues with ALS and Able, but I'm not sure what the conflict is there. Able just sits in its own component and doesn't anything crazy. Not sure what ALS is doing.

Comment

ExtraLifeMatt One more question - I can scale ability playrate, and it transfers to animation... Can I scale just the animation?
                        Long version:
                        I know I can In animgraph - but I'm using SUB-GRAPHS, and my abilities would have to play in blendspaces in a subgraph. In current setup I play montages in proper slot that is in the main anim graph, long after the sub graph and blendspaces. in a Graph that is just merging and making some ik cleanup and retargeting, so animations work perfectly on male and female character. And in montage It works great. But I want to be able to blend idle and walk.. idle is basically frame 0 from walking.. so i figured I could play ability in montage slot and slow down and speed up based on character velocity. normally slot animations dont allow change of playrate. Also if Im playing anim in a slot - can I use the auto rule to blend back from ability animation and it will detect clearing of slot or that animations is not looping, or the opposite that the anim is looping and shouldn't blend back as long as it is? I haven't found answers in the documentation so I rather ask.
                        Lets Say I have a attack start -> attack loop ->attack end (execute swing). But If I end attack start before loop triggers I can execute quick swing. I setup it as 3 abilities that are linked, channeled, with multi branch conditions. For montages it works like a charm! Blends perfectly. Use single slot so doesn't overcomplicate the anim graph. I have attacks branching based on what direction the character is moving. So it starts with simple check of velocity angle, and goes into proper chain of abilities. I still execute single ability

Short version:
                        Any idea if I could use sub graphs and auto blend nodes on blendspace based on ability animation time?

Comment

Originally posted by AngeIV View Post
                          ExtraLifeMatt One more question - I can scale ability playrate, and it transfers to animation... Can I scale just the animation?
                          Long version:
                          I know I can In animgraph - but I'm using SUB-GRAPHS, and my abilities would have to play in blendspaces in a subgraph. In current setup I play montages in proper slot that is in the main anim graph, long after the sub graph and blendspaces. in a Graph that is just merging and making some ik cleanup and retargeting, so animations work perfectly on male and female character. And in montage It works great. But I want to be able to blend idle and walk.. idle is basically frame 0 from walking.. so i figured I could play ability in montage slot and slow down and speed up based on character velocity. normally slot animations dont allow change of playrate. Also if Im playing anim in a slot - can I use the auto rule to blend back from ability animation and it will detect clearing of slot or that animations is not looping, or the opposite that the anim is looping and shouldn't blend back as long as it is? I haven't found answers in the documentation so I rather ask.
                          Lets Say I have a attack start -> attack loop ->attack end (execute swing). But If I end attack start before loop triggers I can execute quick swing. I setup it as 3 abilities that are linked, channeled, with multi branch conditions. For montages it works like a charm! Blends perfectly. Use single slot so doesn't overcomplicate the anim graph. I have attacks branching based on what direction the character is moving. So it starts with simple check of velocity angle, and goes into proper chain of abilities. I still execute single ability

Short version:
                          Any idea if I could use sub graphs and auto blend nodes on blendspace based on ability animation time?
                          You can dynamically pass in the Animation Play rate for just the animation. The "scale to Ability play rate" is just a convenience feature. Able doesn't really "read" anything back from the animation system. It's a one-way communication. "Play this at this speed" or "change the speed to this". That's to maintain the async nature of animations (and to stay out of it's way basically).

Comment

I'm having a problem where when I make an ability, trying to open the ability crashes the editor.

Comment

Originally posted by Ordrik View Post
                              I'm having a problem where when I make an ability, trying to open the ability crashes the editor.
                              Probably your preview asset. Are you using any plugins like ALS or SmoothSync? If so, you need to change your preview asset to an actor that doesn't contain those items (you can change it in the Editor Settings -> Ability Editor -> Preview Asset.

Comment

Hi. I tried to pass the damage to UE4 System. I really got crazy, until i noticed that the cone does not produce a hit event. If i use Sphere etc. it works!

Comment

Working...
                                X