Able Ability System Info and Support Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    Does this also occur when you try to run this on the latest engine version? You stated using 4.16.3, just wondered

And a question/suggestion for you Matt: Would it be possible to see more options to the "apply damage"- node, for instance, applying radial or point damage? Also applying force/impulse seems like something people would generally want to add to their abilities.
    Last edited by Celino Peiris; 09-05-2017, 02:24 PM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Yes indeed it is just a Warning for this case, but in other cases that Velocity actually gets in the way and needs workarounds. And I also like my Projects as Warning-free as possible!
    So a huge thanks once again for adding it to your list, it will help me and my OCD a lot

However today I stumbled across a nastier bug: The entire Engine crashes when trying to cancel a passive Ability.
    Here's how to recreate the bug step-by-step from a new Project (with Engine v4.16.3, Able v1.70):

1) Create a new Project. I'll be creating a 3rd Person Blueprint Project but it should happen on any kind of project really.
    2) Enable Able Plugin and add an Ability Component to the Player Character (in my case: "ThirdPersonCharacter").
    3) Make an Able Ability:
    - Length 0.7s.
    - 1 Task which is "Play Animation" and just choose the "ThirdPersonJump_Loop".
    - Finally activate "Is Looping" and set the Loop End to 0.7s.
    4) Add 2 Action Mappings to your Project: "ActivateAbility" and "CancelAbility". I bound them to Keyboard 1 and 2.
    5) Set up your Action Mappings in your Player Character Blueprint to Activate / Cancel the Ability you created like so: https://puu.sh/xrIhB/fbc81d5f5c.png
    6) Go try your Setup. When pressing 1 your Character should start the Animation and loop it infinitely. When pressing 2 it cancels the whole thing as it should.
    7) Now go back to your Ability and enable "Is Passive" and hit "Play" again. The Engine will crash when pressing 2 so make sure you saved beforehand.

This not only occurs with the Ability having an Animation Task which is possibly not meant for passive Abilities. I encountered this with an Ability that only had a Particle Effect to play. Also, it even happens when removing the "Play Animation" Task (so even when the Ability does not have a single Task).

Edit: Forgot to include a Screenshot of the Crash so here it is https://puu.sh/xrJcN/b6ac1f33a4.png
    Last edited by Kelreth; 09-04-2017, 08:16 PM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Kelreth View Post
    Hey!

Just reporting a little bug.. So I'm spawning an Actor that doesn't ever move with a very simple Ability - basically just a Zone that stays for a while and heals those inside. However when spawning that with Able (not with the Spawn Actor node - it's fine there!) I always get the following PIE Error:
    " Warning Healzone_C_0.Sphere has to have 'Simulate Physics' enabled if you'd like to AddImpulse. "

When changing the Collider Transform from "Movable" into "Static" or "Stationary" the Error says:
    " Warning Mobility of Healzone_C_0 : Sphere has to be 'Movable' if you'd like to AddImpulse. "

I'm assuming that's because Able tries to add it's Velocity from the Task Properties to the Actor after spawning it, even though I've left that at 0.
    I've also mentioned it in an E-Mail to you, but once again, could there maybe be an Option (boolean?) to opt out of Able applying Velocity to spawned Actors?
    That way it wouldn't take away from people entirely controlling their velocity with Able - but it would also enable other Users to control their Velocity with other means or, like in my case, just not apply any. (And you do already have such Options like for example the "Set Owner" boolean for that same Task^^)
    Or maybe just not trying to apply Velocity when the Root Component's Transform is Static or Stationary would also be fine

Here's how the Ability is set up so you can replicate the bug: https://puu.sh/xqPWJ/2cc3dc1294.jpg
    The "Healzone" Actor is simply a Sphere Collider with a large radius and an equally large Particle System attached to it.
    Sounds like it's just a warning, but yea I can add that option in an upcoming update.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Hey!

Just reporting a little bug.. So I'm spawning an Actor that doesn't ever move with a very simple Ability - basically just a Zone that stays for a while and heals those inside. However when spawning that with Able (not with the Spawn Actor node - it's fine there!) I always get the following PIE Error:
    " Warning Healzone_C_0.Sphere has to have 'Simulate Physics' enabled if you'd like to AddImpulse. "

When changing the Collider Transform from "Movable" into "Static" or "Stationary" the Error says:
    " Warning Mobility of Healzone_C_0 : Sphere has to be 'Movable' if you'd like to AddImpulse. "

I'm assuming that's because Able tries to add it's Velocity from the Task Properties to the Actor after spawning it, even though I've left that at 0.
    I've also mentioned it in an E-Mail to you, but once again, could there maybe be an Option (boolean?) to opt out of Able applying Velocity to spawned Actors?
    That way it wouldn't take away from people entirely controlling their velocity with Able - but it would also enable other Users to control their Velocity with other means or, like in my case, just not apply any. (And you do already have such Options like for example the "Set Owner" boolean for that same Task^^)
    Or maybe just not trying to apply Velocity when the Root Component's Transform is Static or Stationary would also be fine

Here's how the Ability is set up so you can replicate the bug: https://puu.sh/xqPWJ/2cc3dc1294.jpg
    The "Healzone" Actor is simply a Sphere Collider with a large radius and an equally large Particle System attached to it.
    Last edited by Kelreth; 09-03-2017, 06:45 PM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    You should get that little popup on the lower right hand side whenever you load up your project, it tells you if new plugins are available, click on that, update Able to the latest one, and you should be golden

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by TheNoontide View Post

Yep, ran it on 4.17 and no problems yet, only little bug I encountered was a compiler result "unrecognized tab" whenever I create a new Able Blueprint. Abiliy Animation Node is working too!

Not yet managed to work out how to add some spread and recoil to my raycasts, if someone has another hint, I'm all ears and eyes ! I'll promise to highlight the use of Able if I ever get to record my WIP stuff ^^
    Originally posted by ExtraLifeMatt View Post

I haven't received an email from Epic so I don't think so? They have it so hopefully it'll go out soon.
    Sooooo ........ lol.
    I assume hes running the 4.16 in 4.17?
    Now i am confused.

I am also running 4.17 and on open, i get TONS of ABLE errors (because its missing, so, they are 100% expected)
    ^^ nevermind. Looks like it updated but the launcher needed to restart. I hate the launcher.....

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by AP_Studios View Post
    did the update go live? i dont see the update on launcher
    Yep, ran it on 4.17 and no problems yet, only little bug I encountered was a compiler result "unrecognized tab" whenever I create a new Able Blueprint. Abiliy Animation Node is working too!

Not yet managed to work out how to add some spread and recoil to my raycasts, if someone has another hint, I'm all ears and eyes ! I'll promise to highlight the use of Able if I ever get to record my WIP stuff ^^

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by AP_Studios View Post
    I haven't received an email from Epic so I don't think so? They have it so hopefully it'll go out soon.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by ExtraLifeMatt View Post

When you go to Apply the Burn, you could query the Passives already running on the target and then just apply the longer version(Burn2, Burn3, etc). Able expects Abilities to be unique, so you can't have two Burns running on a target (merely 2 stacks of the same Burn ability). So you'll need to break them out into discrete Abilities (even if they are simple copy/pastes) anyway.

An Ability scale sounds like a good idea, I'll add that for the next update (there may be some trickiness with getting Animations/Particles scaled but it should be do-able). You can already override the cooldown length, but that doesn't help much in your use case.
    Thank you for the answers!

Alright good to know, I'll figure something out then.

Awesome !! I'll glady wait for that update then <3

Leave a comment:

• replied

Leave a comment:

Working...
X