Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Able Ability System Info and Support Thread

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Originally posted by ninjasdf View Post
    Great. The versatility of this system is downright amazing. I've already pulled the trigger and purchased the ability system. I have one more question, and this one is short and simple to make up for last time lolz.
    • Will animation notifies that are in an anim montage still fire off when the able ability system plays the animation within an ability?

    If that is possible then I've found quite a few ways to recreate my system much more easily than originally anticipated. That combined with all of the great features within the ability system should allow me to not only drastically improve the quality of what I've already done but make it much more manageable as well.
    Yes, any animation notifies will fire like normal.
    Able Ability System - A high performance, robust ability system for UE4. Now Available!

    Comment


      I think I'm missing something badly but I can't get it to work when I set Targeting > Target Logic to "Blackboard" and set Dynamic Properties > Identifier to the name of the Blackboard key where my target actor is. When I check the Blackboard, that object is set properly, it's just not being forwarded to Able.
      Is there any chance you could post some more demos/videos, they help a lot but most of them are from 2+ years ago. Thanks!

      Happy holidays everyone!

      Edit: doing a custom targeting and fetching blackboard value manually is working perfectly.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	abletarget.png
Views:	133
Size:	123.8 KB
ID:	1702160
      Last edited by Kelen; 12-27-2019, 02:33 PM.

      Comment


        Originally posted by Kelen View Post
        I think I'm missing something badly but I can't get it to work when I set Targeting > Target Logic to "Blackboard" and set Dynamic Properties > Identifier to the name of the Blackboard key where my target actor is. When I check the Blackboard, that object is set properly, it's just not being forwarded to Able.
        Is there any chance you could post some more demos/videos, they help a lot but most of them are from 2+ years ago. Thanks!

        Happy holidays everyone!

        Edit: doing a custom targeting and fetching blackboard value manually is working perfectly.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	abletarget.png
Views:	133
Size:	123.8 KB
ID:	1702160
        I'll dig into that and make a local repro to see what I find. Thanks for the report and glad you found a temporary work around.
        Able Ability System - A high performance, robust ability system for UE4. Now Available!

        Comment


          is your blackboard key public? you sure get self actor returns the character? does the character have access to blackboard or maybe you need to run it from owner (controller) ?

          Comment


            For some reason the engine crashes when i try to open a ability if i have this on my character

            https://www.unrealengine.com/marketp...ct/smooth-sync

            Comment


              Originally posted by TotallyKuro View Post
              For some reason the engine crashes when i try to open a ability if i have this on my character

              https://www.unrealengine.com/marketp...ct/smooth-sync
              Unfortunately, I don't own Smooth-Sync, so I can't tell you why they aren't playing nice together. There's a couple things you can try to narrow it down.

              1.) Disable Async Tasks to prevent any thread safety issues that might occur between the two.
              2.) Try and narrow down which Task doesn't like working with Smooth-Sync.

              If you post the callstack (you'll find it in your logs) of the crash, that may help as well.
              Able Ability System - A high performance, robust ability system for UE4. Now Available!

              Comment


                this is the callstack


                Unhandled exception

                UE4Editor_SmoothSyncPlugin!USmoothSync::adjustOwnerTime() [d:\build\++portal+dev-marketplace+full\sync\localbuilds\plugintemp\hostproject\plugins\smoothsyncplugin\source\smoothsyncplugin\private\smoothsync.cpp:2352]
                UE4Editor_SmoothSyncPlugin!USmoothSync::TickComponent() [d:\build\++portal+dev-marketplace+full\sync\localbuilds\plugintemp\hostproject\plugins\smoothsyncplugin\source\smoothsyncplugin\private\smoothsync.cpp:728]
                UE4Editor_Engine
                UE4Editor_Engine
                UE4Editor_Engine
                UE4Editor_Engine
                UE4Editor_Core
                UE4Editor_Core
                UE4Editor_Engine
                UE4Editor_Engine
                UE4Editor_Engine
                UE4Editor_Engine
                UE4Editor_AbleEditor!FAbilityEditorViewportClient::Tick() [d:\build\++portal+dev-marketplace+full\sync\localbuilds\plugintemp\hostproject\plugins\able\source\ableeditor\private\abilityeditor\ablabilityeditorviewportclient.cpp:230]
                UE4Editor_UnrealEd
                UE4Editor_UnrealEd
                UE4Editor
                UE4Editor
                UE4Editor
                UE4Editor
                UE4Editor
                kernel32
                ntdll

                Comment


                  i fixed it for now by changing the preview character to another one which doesnt have the smooth sync component

                  Comment


                    Originally posted by TotallyKuro View Post
                    i fixed it for now by changing the preview character to another one which doesnt have the smooth sync component
                    Yea, looks like Smooth Sync doesn't like how the Editor is ticking the Viewport. Not shocked, I move the time around as you scrub the timeline which Smooth Sync probably isn't happy with.
                    Able Ability System - A high performance, robust ability system for UE4. Now Available!

                    Comment


                      Hey there Matt,

                      I really like your work with the Plugin so far, but I ran into a "build failed" problem yesterday; after uninstall and reinstall the ABLE plugin in the Epic Launcher for the 4.22.3, my project unable to build with "Exclusive Nativization" (no ABLE assets in my "List of Blueprint assets to nativize" array, just a Blueprint Function Library, nothing else), because of this:

                      HTML Code:
                      Building 13 actions with 16 processes...
                      UATHelper: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)):     [1/13] Default.rc2
                      UATHelper: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)):     [2/13] SharedPCH.Core.cpp
                      UATHelper: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)):     [3/13] Project_Alvus.cpp
                      UATHelper: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)):     [4/13] PCH.NativizedAssets.cpp
                      UATHelper: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)):     [5/13] Module.NativizedAssets.gen.6_of_6.cpp
                      UATHelper: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)):     [6/13] Module.NativizedAssets.gen.3_of_6.cpp
                      UATHelper: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)):     [7/13] Module.NativizedAssets.gen.1_of_6.cpp
                      UATHelper: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)):     [8/13] Module.NativizedAssets.gen.2_of_6.cpp
                      UATHelper: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)):     [9/13] Module.NativizedAssets.gen.4_of_6.cpp
                      UATHelper: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)):     [10/13] Module.NativizedAssets.gen.5_of_6.cpp
                      UATHelper: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)):     [11/13] Module.NativizedAssets.cpp
                      UATHelper: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)):     F:\Unreal Engine 4\Engine\UE_4.22\Engine\Source\../Plugins/Marketplace/Able/Source/AbleCore/Classes/ablSettings.h(46): error C4800: Implicit conversion from 'const float' to bool. Possible information loss
                      UATHelper: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)):     F:\Unreal Engine 4\Engine\UE_4.22\Engine\Source\../Plugins/Marketplace/Able/Source/AbleCore/Classes/ablSettings.h(46): note: consider using explicit cast or comparison to 0 to avoid this warning
                      UATHelper: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)): Took 28,5399801s to run UnrealBuildTool.exe, ExitCode=5
                      UATHelper: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)): ERROR: UnrealBuildTool failed. See log for more details. (C:\Users\Jim\AppData\Roaming\Unreal Engine\AutomationTool\Logs\F+Unreal+Engine+4+Engine+UE_4.22\UBT-Project_Alvus-Win64-Development.txt)
                      UATHelper: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)):        (see C:\Users\Jim\AppData\Roaming\Unreal Engine\AutomationTool\Logs\F+Unreal+Engine+4+Engine+UE_4.22\Log.txt for full exception trace)
                      UATHelper: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)): AutomationTool exiting with ExitCode=5 (5)
                      UATHelper: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)): BUILD FAILED
                      PackagingResults: Error: Unknown Error
                      I don't understand why is this happening right after the plugin reinstall, because before that everything was just fine... : (

                      By the way, I reinstalled the Plugin because the ABLE crashes really often in various scenarios, sadly.

                      For example; I run into a crash a lot when I'm working with the Plugin assets opened in a window while creating a combo system and recompile an other, completely different type of Blueprint, like an Actor Component and not even an ABLE Graph:

                      HTML Code:
                      Unhandled exception
                      
                      UE4Editor_AbleEditor!FAblAbilityEditor::Tick() [d:\build\++portal+dev-marketplace+full\sync\localbuilds\plugintemp\hostproject\plugins\able\source\ableeditor\private\abilityeditor\ablabilityeditor.cpp:374]
                      UE4Editor_UnrealEd!FTickableEditorObject::TickObjects() [d:\build\++ue4\sync\engine\source\editor\unrealed\public\tickableeditorobject.h:47]
                      UE4Editor_UnrealEd!UEditorEngine::Tick() [d:\build\++ue4\sync\engine\source\editor\unrealed\private\editorengine.cpp:1411]
                      UE4Editor_UnrealEd!UUnrealEdEngine::Tick() [d:\build\++ue4\sync\engine\source\editor\unrealed\private\unrealedengine.cpp:403]
                      UE4Editor!FEngineLoop::Tick() [d:\build\++ue4\sync\engine\source\runtime\launch\private\launchengineloop.cpp:3967]
                      UE4Editor!GuardedMain() [d:\build\++ue4\sync\engine\source\runtime\launch\private\launch.cpp:168]
                      UE4Editor!GuardedMainWrapper() [d:\build\++ue4\sync\engine\source\runtime\launch\private\windows\launchwindows.cpp:145]
                      UE4Editor!WinMain() [d:\build\++ue4\sync\engine\source\runtime\launch\private\windows\launchwindows.cpp:275]
                      UE4Editor!__scrt_common_main_seh() [d:\agent\_work\3\s\src\vctools\crt\vcstartup\src\startup\exe_common.inl:288]
                      kernel32
                      ntdll
                      What do you think? Any suggestions?

                      Comment


                        Originally posted by JimPhoenix View Post
                        Hey there Matt,

                        I really like your work with the Plugin so far, but I ran into a "build failed" problem yesterday; after uninstall and reinstall the ABLE plugin in the Epic Launcher for the 4.22.3, my project unable to build with "Exclusive Nativization" (no ABLE assets in my "List of Blueprint assets to nativize" array, just a Blueprint Function Library, nothing else), because of this:

                        HTML Code:
                        Building 13 actions with 16 processes...
                        UATHelper: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)): [1/13] Default.rc2
                        UATHelper: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)): [2/13] SharedPCH.Core.cpp
                        UATHelper: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)): [3/13] Project_Alvus.cpp
                        UATHelper: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)): [4/13] PCH.NativizedAssets.cpp
                        UATHelper: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)): [5/13] Module.NativizedAssets.gen.6_of_6.cpp
                        UATHelper: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)): [6/13] Module.NativizedAssets.gen.3_of_6.cpp
                        UATHelper: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)): [7/13] Module.NativizedAssets.gen.1_of_6.cpp
                        UATHelper: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)): [8/13] Module.NativizedAssets.gen.2_of_6.cpp
                        UATHelper: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)): [9/13] Module.NativizedAssets.gen.4_of_6.cpp
                        UATHelper: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)): [10/13] Module.NativizedAssets.gen.5_of_6.cpp
                        UATHelper: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)): [11/13] Module.NativizedAssets.cpp
                        UATHelper: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)): F:\Unreal Engine 4\Engine\UE_4.22\Engine\Source\../Plugins/Marketplace/Able/Source/AbleCore/Classes/ablSettings.h(46): error C4800: Implicit conversion from 'const float' to bool. Possible information loss
                        UATHelper: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)): F:\Unreal Engine 4\Engine\UE_4.22\Engine\Source\../Plugins/Marketplace/Able/Source/AbleCore/Classes/ablSettings.h(46): note: consider using explicit cast or comparison to 0 to avoid this warning
                        UATHelper: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)): Took 28,5399801s to run UnrealBuildTool.exe, ExitCode=5
                        UATHelper: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)): ERROR: UnrealBuildTool failed. See log for more details. (C:\Users\Jim\AppData\Roaming\Unreal Engine\AutomationTool\Logs\F+Unreal+Engine+4+Engine+UE_4.22\UBT-Project_Alvus-Win64-Development.txt)
                        UATHelper: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)): (see C:\Users\Jim\AppData\Roaming\Unreal Engine\AutomationTool\Logs\F+Unreal+Engine+4+Engine+UE_4.22\Log.txt for full exception trace)
                        UATHelper: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)): AutomationTool exiting with ExitCode=5 (5)
                        UATHelper: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)): BUILD FAILED
                        PackagingResults: Error: Unknown Error
                        I don't understand why is this happening right after the plugin reinstall, because before that everything was just fine... : (

                        By the way, I reinstalled the Plugin because the ABLE crashes really often in various scenarios, sadly.

                        For example; I run into a crash a lot when I'm working with the Plugin assets opened in a window while creating a combo system and recompile an other, completely different type of Blueprint, like an Actor Component and not even an ABLE Graph:

                        HTML Code:
                        Unhandled exception
                        
                        UE4Editor_AbleEditor!FAblAbilityEditor::Tick() [d:\build\++portal+dev-marketplace+full\sync\localbuilds\plugintemp\hostproject\plugins\able\source\ableeditor\private\abilityeditor\ablabilityeditor.cpp:374]
                        UE4Editor_UnrealEd!FTickableEditorObject::TickObjects() [d:\build\++ue4\sync\engine\source\editor\unrealed\public\tickableeditorobject.h:47]
                        UE4Editor_UnrealEd!UEditorEngine::Tick() [d:\build\++ue4\sync\engine\source\editor\unrealed\private\editorengine.cpp:1411]
                        UE4Editor_UnrealEd!UUnrealEdEngine::Tick() [d:\build\++ue4\sync\engine\source\editor\unrealed\private\unrealedengine.cpp:403]
                        UE4Editor!FEngineLoop::Tick() [d:\build\++ue4\sync\engine\source\runtime\launch\private\launchengineloop.cpp:3967]
                        UE4Editor!GuardedMain() [d:\build\++ue4\sync\engine\source\runtime\launch\private\launch.cpp:168]
                        UE4Editor!GuardedMainWrapper() [d:\build\++ue4\sync\engine\source\runtime\launch\private\windows\launchwindows.cpp:145]
                        UE4Editor!WinMain() [d:\build\++ue4\sync\engine\source\runtime\launch\private\windows\launchwindows.cpp:275]
                        UE4Editor!__scrt_common_main_seh() [d:\agent\_work\3\s\src\vctools\crt\vcstartup\src\startup\exe_common.inl:288]
                        kernel32
                        ntdll
                        What do you think? Any suggestions?
                        Hmmm, the first one looks like a legit type conversion error. That should be a bool, no idea why it's a float (probably dumb copy and paste error on my part). I'll get a fix out for that.

                        The 2nd one looks like it's failing to create a context, which a null check would fix. Let me get in a fix for that as well.

                        Thanks for the report and sorry for the temporary headache.

                        Able Ability System - A high performance, robust ability system for UE4. Now Available!

                        Comment


                          Originally posted by Kelen View Post
                          I think I'm missing something badly but I can't get it to work when I set Targeting > Target Logic to "Blackboard" and set Dynamic Properties > Identifier to the name of the Blackboard key where my target actor is. When I check the Blackboard, that object is set properly, it's just not being forwarded to Able.
                          Is there any chance you could post some more demos/videos, they help a lot but most of them are from 2+ years ago. Thanks!

                          Happy holidays everyone!

                          Edit: doing a custom targeting and fetching blackboard value manually is working perfectly.
                          Click image for larger version

Name:	abletarget.png
Views:	133
Size:	123.8 KB
ID:	1702160
                          Kelen I think I see what happened.

                          The "Dynamic Property Identifer" is specifically for Able usage when you have a dynamic property bound (you'll see '+' signs on certain fields in Able, where you can bind some Blueprint logic to get a value at runtime). The Dynamic Property Identifier is there in case you have multiple Tasks / Targeting / Etc all using the dynamic property values so you can determine in your blueprint function which Task is calling that function.

                          For BB Keys, you just want to add the key to the "Blackboard Keys" array under the targeting properties. When I did that, it worked as expected.

                          JimPhoenix I've gone ahead and submitted a fix for those crashes (should appear hopefully sometime this week). Again, sorry for the hiccup.

                          Able v3.23
                          • NATIVIZATION FIX: Changed Force Server Activation field to be a bool, as was always intended.
                          • CRASH FIX: Added defensive code when the Editor isn't able to create an Ability Context.
                          Able Ability System - A high performance, robust ability system for UE4. Now Available!

                          Comment


                            ExtraLifeMatt thanks a lot, I will try the fixes out and if you don't mind I will report other bugs or crashes, may even be QoL suggestions in the future here to further improve and polish the Plugin.

                            Keep up the good work Matt, I truly appreciate your effort with ABLE, it's a really powerful and useful system.

                            Comment


                              Originally posted by JimPhoenix View Post
                              ExtraLifeMatt thanks a lot, I will try the fixes out and if you don't mind I will report other bugs or crashes, may even be QoL suggestions in the future here to further improve and polish the Plugin.

                              Keep up the good work Matt, I truly appreciate your effort with ABLE, it's a really powerful and useful system.
                              Absolutely. I love feedback. Lots of features have come from users like yourself.
                              Able Ability System - A high performance, robust ability system for UE4. Now Available!

                              Comment


                                Originally posted by AngeIV View Post
                                is your blackboard key public? you sure get self actor returns the character? does the character have access to blackboard or maybe you need to run it from owner (controller) ?
                                Thanks for the tips, it turns out I was looking at the wrong thing.
                                Originally posted by ExtraLifeMatt View Post
                                For BB Keys, you just want to add the key to the "Blackboard Keys" array under the targeting properties. When I did that, it worked as expected.
                                I appologize for the stupid question but I can't find Blackboard keys array? Is it somewhere else? It's a 4.23 project by the way.Click image for larger version

Name:	ablebb.PNG
Views:	198
Size:	7.9 KB
ID:	1704037

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X