Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Able Ability System Info and Support Thread

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    ExtraLifeMatt where goes DynamicBranchAbility and OnGetBranchAbility function? I'm using combo system which need to pick which ability to branch to and I see that in new version there is no dynamic branch...

    I see there is FGetAblAbility - but how to use it in C++ not in BPs?
    I have my own Ability class (in c++) extending from UAblAbility and earlier I could just override OnGetBranchAbility function and point to my combo system.
    Last edited by intoxicat3; 06-21-2019, 07:56 AM.
    How to create first person shooter game from scratch. Lots of tutorials: http://www.shootertutorial.com - celebrating 50th Tutorial!

    My Marketplace Assets

    Comment


      Originally posted by intoxicat3 View Post
      ExtraLifeMatt where goes DynamicBranchAbility and OnGetBranchAbility function? I'm using combo system which need to pick which ability to branch to and I see that in new version there is no dynamic branch...

      I see there is FGetAblAbility - but how to use it in C++ not in BPs?
      I have my own Ability class (in c++) extending from UAblAbility and earlier I could just override OnGetBranchAbility function and point to my combo system.
      OnGetBranchAbility is deprecated (or should be). Just add the Function Binding by clicking on the + next to the Ability on the branch task.If you want to do it in C++ just basically copy the name of the method you would get in blueprints, add it to your Ability class, and make sure it's a UFUNCTION.

      You can step through the BindDynamicProperties method on the Branch task to watch it try and find the method.

      Able Ability System - A high performance, robust ability system for UE4. Now Available!

      Comment


        I found an issue with tasks when interrupting abilities.

        Repo:
        - Create active ability with collision check and damage check in the middle of the ability. Add some animation to ability and disable "stop on interrupt",
        - Run this ability, then after a small delay cancel active ability,

        You will see that collision check and damage will execute even when ability is canceled. As far I can see (ablAbilityInstance) you are cancelling only active tasks, so other tasks in ability can still go even when ability is interrupted.
        How to create first person shooter game from scratch. Lots of tutorials: http://www.shootertutorial.com - celebrating 50th Tutorial!

        My Marketplace Assets

        Comment


          Originally posted by intoxicat3 View Post
          I found an issue with tasks when interrupting abilities.

          Repo:
          - Create active ability with collision check and damage check in the middle of the ability. Add some animation to ability and disable "stop on interrupt",
          - Run this ability, then after a small delay cancel active ability,

          You will see that collision check and damage will execute even when ability is canceled. As far I can see (ablAbilityInstance) you are cancelling only active tasks, so other tasks in ability can still go even when ability is interrupted.
          The Ability Instance should be cancelled as well (and set to nullptr), so there should be no further execution of those tasks. But I can investigate.
          Able Ability System - A high performance, robust ability system for UE4. Now Available!

          Comment


            Then that's weird Maybe "Add some animation to ability and disable "stop on interrupt"" is doing something. Another thing that I have is branch to another ability in the end of this ability to create combo. Maybe branch. Don't know but for sure it's executing as I can see damage and sweeps in debug.
            How to create first person shooter game from scratch. Lots of tutorials: http://www.shootertutorial.com - celebrating 50th Tutorial!

            My Marketplace Assets

            Comment


              Hey there I have a couple of bugs you might want to look at.

              Bug1:
              When playing two animations within one ability if the animations start/end times are too close (not overlapping), the second animation wont play. (This may be an issue with how I'm interfacing with my AnimGraph).

              Bug2:
              If i have created an animation task, and assign an animation montage i am unable to re-assign that animation to a sequence. It acts as if it will, but it doesn't change.

              Comment


                Originally posted by jhirsh View Post
                Hey there I have a couple of bugs you might want to look at.

                Bug1:
                When playing two animations within one ability if the animations start/end times are too close (not overlapping), the second animation wont play. (This may be an issue with how I'm interfacing with my AnimGraph).

                Bug2:
                If i have created an animation task, and assign an animation montage i am unable to re-assign that animation to a sequence. It acts as if it will, but it doesn't change.

                Thanks for the report.

                Bug#1 sounds very much like an AnimGraph bug. I'd double check your anim blueprint setup. Also Montages don't tend to blend on top of each other well (for whatever reason), so if you're using that you may want to try the Ability Animation Node instead.

                Bug#2 I've seen this off and on. Never been able to track down why it's occurring. That field is marked as Edit Anywhere, so you should always be able to rebind it to whatever. I'll look at it again.
                Able Ability System - A high performance, robust ability system for UE4. Now Available!

                Comment


                  Hello friends,

                  I have a question about the new version of AbleAbility plugin.
                  At "UAblAbility* OnGetBranchAbilityBP" I have this information: "Ability overrides for specific task fields are deprecated and will be removed in a future update. Please move any logic to the dynamic field functions."

                  Can anyone tell me what exactly "dynamic field functions" are and how to replace those mentioned earlier "UAblAbility* OnGetBranchAbilityBP".
                  Earier we used it very often, but now we can not use it in connection with information that in the future update it will be removed. Is it known whether it will be replaced or just removed?

                  I would be grateful for any response and help
                  Woody

                  Comment


                    Originally posted by Woody_PL View Post
                    Hello friends,

                    I have a question about the new version of AbleAbility plugin.
                    At "UAblAbility* OnGetBranchAbilityBP" I have this information: "Ability overrides for specific task fields are deprecated and will be removed in a future update. Please move any logic to the dynamic field functions."

                    Can anyone tell me what exactly "dynamic field functions" are and how to replace those mentioned earlier "UAblAbility* OnGetBranchAbilityBP".
                    Earier we used it very often, but now we can not use it in connection with information that in the future update it will be removed. Is it known whether it will be replaced or just removed?

                    I would be grateful for any response and help
                    Woody
                    The new way is to simply open up the Branch Task, hit the + symbol, which will spawn the dynamic binding. Able's 3.0 update changed the system from doing function overrides to use more dynamic bindings. It's simply easier for new users to understand.

                    I have no plans to remove the old functionality just yet(or even soon), but it is technically deprecated (which is what that warning is meant to convey).
                    Able Ability System - A high performance, robust ability system for UE4. Now Available!

                    Comment


                      Hello,

                      I'm trying to create an ability where the ability plays at a point where the target is looking. Kind of like a targeted area of effect, but there is no pawn target to grab the location of. How would I go about using the location as an ability target?

                      Comment


                        Originally posted by OllieWilliams View Post
                        Hello,

                        I'm trying to create an ability where the ability plays at a point where the target is looking. Kind of like a targeted area of effect, but there is no pawn target to grab the location of. How would I go about using the location as an ability target?
                        keep it as a variable in a component or the class that the ability is trigering. so that the class object (pawn? character?) gets pushed as instigator and owner of the ability component in the syntax, and then you can cast or call interface to get target as reference, or target as a worldspace location.

                        Comment


                          Originally posted by ExtraLifeMatt View Post
                          Able 3.0 has been submitted. Notes / Overview below:

                          Click image for larger version Name:	Able3_0.png Views:	1 Size:	469.5 KB ID:	1604886



                          3.0 is a monster that touched pretty much every part of Able (and definitely the Editor aspect). Overall I'm happy with how much cleaner things are (both visually and under the hood) and the ability for users to customize Able to their specific needs has never been better. 3.0 started as a 2 week re-skin but became a 3 month beast but hopefully people get lots of use from it.

                          That said, I expect bugs. I wanted another week or two of bug fixing but 4.22's released forced things out a bit quicker than I expected. I've tested things as best as I can, but you guys will likely hit issues I just don't have local tests for. Please be patient and let me know as soon as you find something. I'm already working on 3.01 with a few more art tweaks and such, so hopefully now that the meat of 3.0 is out, I can be a bit quicker on updates. I'm also pushing out the marketing refresh (store page and such) I wanted to do until Able 3.0 has a bit of time to cook out in the wild, so bug fixing is my entire priority.

                          Thanks for all your support and keep the feedback coming!
                          Hi, I hope you can add "Duplicate Task" feature, it's very useful, thanks!

                          Comment


                            Originally posted by MichaelLiew View Post

                            Hi, I hope you can add "Duplicate Task" feature, it's very useful, thanks!
                            Sure. Should be do-able.
                            Able Ability System - A high performance, robust ability system for UE4. Now Available!

                            Comment


                              Hi, does anyone know if Able is compiled on VS2017 or 2019?
                              What I really want to know, is which VS version is the most stable for Able to compile on at the moment?
                              Or is the latest VS always recommended to use by default?
                              Thanks in advance for any advice given

                              Comment


                                ExtraLifeMatt Hey, I'm stuck with UE4.23 due to how my other dependencies. When do you think you can get to pushing a patch?

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X