Able Ability System Info and Support Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TVwj View Post
    In your "Example 5 - Burning Man", you override the "calculate damage for actor function" and set the target mannequin's "damaged by ability" variable to the ability.
    Is there a way to do this for an unknown target actor? Or is it just easier to make children of a single parent actor or something similar?
    You could make an interface or some such for the actor. In my projects I tend to have a base class that all my enemies / players inherit from (MyGameCharacter) which has some basic fields and such (Tags, OnHit calls, etc). You could do something similar.
    Able Ability System - A high performance, robust ability system for UE4. Now Available!

Comment

Hi guys, I have such an error when I try to compile able blueprint ability. I added to Inputs Abl Ability Context variable (but I can not set visibility as with other variables if it is the case). Should I give references to "self" somewhere else, eg. in Player Character? Anyone can help?
      Attached Files

Comment

1- You should create a discord for this awesome product

2-In your downloadable project, when I press play, it said machinegun has compile error. skipping it fix it.

3-Each time I open one of your 2 ability, it ask for a preview asset (I put firstcharacter bp) and a second empty screen (with no indication what it used for) is displayed after selecting the preview asset.
        Regardless of the asset I select, the ability editor preview is empty.

4- machine gun has no sfx played.

Im trying to get familiar with your product using your demo project.

Comment

Originally posted by hexadecimalentertainment View Post
          1- You should create a discord for this awesome product

2-In your downloadable project, when I press play, it said machinegun has compile error. skipping it fix it.

3-Each time I open one of your 2 ability, it ask for a preview asset (I put firstcharacter bp) and a second empty screen (with no indication what it used for) is displayed after selecting the preview asset.
          Regardless of the asset I select, the ability editor preview is empty.

4- machine gun has no sfx played.

Im trying to get familiar with your product using your demo project.
          Yea, those projects are fairly out of date(4.16?). I need to just re-compile them against the latest.

The Ability Editor Preview Asset flow changed in 3.0, you need to add the classes you want to use for your Preview Asset to the Able Editor Settings under "Preview Asset Allowed Classes". Then you can just use the drop down next to the Preview Asset on the Toolbar and select the asset you want to use.

There should be no sound effects in the Machine Gun asset (or at least I don't recall hooking it up). Again, I just need to do a pass on the examples real quick and update them. I'll try and knock that out sometime this week.
          Able Ability System - A high performance, robust ability system for UE4. Now Available!

Comment

Originally posted by Woody_PL View Post
            Hi guys, I have such an error when I try to compile able blueprint ability. I added to Inputs Abl Ability Context variable (but I can not set visibility as with other variables if it is the case). Should I give references to "self" somewhere else, eg. in Player Character? Anyone can help?
            The Context is const (read-only) in most callbacks, so yea, you need to make sure any methods you are calling are also const, or store the information on another object (like the Player Character as you suggested).

Comment

Thanks for your fast reply

Yes, ive figure out that after all your update your UI may have changed.

Maybe some new tutorial is a good idea too.

You should let us download your TPersoncharacter template too

Thanks for your time updating all this... ive bough your product last weekend... and to be honest its a nightmare to follow tutorial that shows a different UI... hard to figure out what we do wrong when we dont get what you get on your video lol

For instance, your "creating a simple ability tutorial"... you dont have the same prompt on the screen.

I remember switching the version of the engine to your template...(right click on project file). maybe i should have open it normally and let UE4 recompile as im usually doing when dealing with outdated/new engine version plugins.

Just a reminder that i do think your optimization alone worth every penny of your product... but its really hard to find tutorial or other people making video using your product and searching for able ability give a lot of tutorial regarding the builtin ability system of UE4 ..not yours...

having your own discord will help having a community helping each other and saving you time. (if you are not familiar with discord, i can help you administrating it).
              Last edited by hexadecimalentertainment; 06-10-2019, 02:28 PM.

Comment

Regarding your machine gun, i mistyped... i mean in your video we see VFX..... decal.... at the moment, you only have the gun animation working...i dont see any other visual effect.

Comment

Note: in the marketplace page, you give a link to a tutorial (creating a simple ability i think).. this link is not public.... so when people get on your youtube page from the other link...we dont see this kinda important tutorial on your youtube page. It tooks me a day to notice that lol

Comment

And people are talking about showroom... i dont think ive seen the download link (except recently, from a comment..i think) you should put all your video on the store page and on the first post of this forum.

Comment

Note: in the marketplace page, you give a link to a tutorial (creating a simple ability i think).. this link is not public.... so when people get on your youtube page from the other link...we dont see this kinda important tutorial on your youtube page. It tooks me a day to notice that lol
                      Hmmm, I hadn't seen that. I'll investigate.

And people are talking about showroom... i dont think ive seen the download link (except recently, from a comment..i think) you should put all your video on the store page and on the first post of this forum.
                      So the Store page actually has a very small text limit and I'm pushing against it hard. That said, I'll try and clean things up and link all the projects in one place (likely on able.extralifestudios.com and have the store page link to that).

Comment

Maybe this can help with the characters limit:

https://tinyurl.com/

Comment

Maybe this can help with the characters limit:

https://tinyurl.com/
                          Most things are already using URL shorteners. The problem is the count is the RAW character count, not the formatted character count. So even all those hidden links still go against the limit. That said, I want to do a store page refresh and just use a large image for the main body followed by a series of links for tutorials, samples, etc. Just gotta bully my artist buddy for some time.

Comment

Kinda stupid question, but how do I reference the user of the ability? I'm trying to cast to my character in the ability, but I am not sure how to get the character for the "object" input of the cast.

Comment

Originally posted by TVwj View Post
                              Kinda stupid question, but how do I reference the user of the ability? I'm trying to cast to my character in the ability, but I am not sure how to get the character for the "object" input of the cast.
                              Assuming you pass in your character when you create the Ability Context:

Ability Context -> GetSelfActor -> Cast to Your Character.

Comment

Originally posted by ExtraLifeMatt View Post

Assuming you pass in your character when you create the Ability Context:

Ability Context -> GetSelfActor -> Cast to Your Character.
                                Thank you. I forgot all about the context pin.

Comment

Working...
                                X