Able Ability System Info and Support Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[MENTION=172958]ExtraLifeMatt[/MENTION]

Hello again, I just purchased this, and let me first say that I'm loving this so far! This is likely the best thing I've ever bought on the Marketplace, bar none! This is truly amazing!
    That said, I have some editor related "quality of life" feature requests that I'd like to make.
    • Show collapsed folder structure when clicking "Set Preview Asset" by default
      I'm using 4.15.0, clicking "Set Preview Asset nearly crashes the editor because it displays ALL the mesh assets in my project in a "flat-view", trying to render the thumbnails is resource intensive and clogs texture streaming memory. (which doesn't get cleared unless Ue4 is restarted). It would be nice to have the "skeletal mesh only" and "list view" as default, along with the default to show the collapsed folder structure instead of this current "flat-view"

• Highlight or Outline of the selected track:
      It would be really nice to get some visual feedback on which track is currently highlighted besides looking at the properties alone.

• Display Animation name in the track:
      Currently it just reads "PlayAnimation" I think it would be beneficial for it to read: "PlayAnimation: *animation_name*"
      (this would be very helpful to those building combo systems that feature several subtle variations of animations)

• Task Timeline display options:
      Currently, the timeline doesn't have an indication of "frames". I understand why, because not every ability is going to have animation tied to it. However, it would be very useful when an animation is added, for those "frame perfect" games like fighters to have frame markers.

• Task Timeline Snapping:
      On that note, precise incremental dragging of tasks that snap align to seconds, frames, and when snapping to the start/end of another task it would be good visual feedback to display a long vertical line along the whole track editor for alignment.

That's all I can think of right now, as I'm only just starting to really get into this, and I'm sleep deprived lol
    Thank you again for this amazing contribution!
    Last edited by Aumaan Anubis; 05-19-2017, 07:26 AM.

Comment

Oh, I forgot! We have a "turn to" option in able, and I'm hoping that "move to" will eventually be added.

I understand there are many different ways to move a character to a target, perhaps provide the following options.
      • Lerp to (does what it says)
      • Move to (AI controller takes over, and the character navigates to the target)
      • Velocity to (uses acceleration to reach target)
      • Force to (uses force to reach to target)

Also:
      • Timeline scrubbing
        would be nice to scrub along the timeline and see which frame of the animation your at when lining up tasks

• Display "Set GameplayTag" name in the track:
        Currently it just reads "Set GameplayTag" I think it would be beneficial for it to read: "Set GameplayTag: *tag_name*"
      Last edited by Aumaan Anubis; 05-19-2017, 08:04 AM.

Comment

[MENTION=33476]Aumaan Anubis[/MENTION]

I'm glad you were able to grab it while it was on sale, I know you've been trying to pick it up for a while. Thanks for all the suggestions, I really like the Quality of Life things like Displaying referenced asset names for things like Play Animation, Set Gameplay Tag (I'll probably add it to Play Particle, Play Sound, and Remove Gameplay Tag as well). I also meant to do the highlighting your currently selected task but it fell off for more important bug fixes. I'll see if I can't get back to it.

Regarding Select Preview Asset, the performance on that guy is scary but it's unfortunately out of my control (I simply call UE4's Asset Selector class). I believe I have it set to show folders by default, but for whatever reason that option never seems to take. I'll have to dive into it a bit more. In the meantime, there's a bunch of options you can set to narrow down which assets it'll try and load in the preview window. That seems to help quite a bit (i.e. turn off static meshs if you know you're only going to be loading Blueprints as preview models). But, again, I'll poke at it some more.

The Frame Perfect stuff and Move to things are stuff I've traditionally stayed away from since they can get very complex very quickly, but I'll do some investigation.
        Able Ability System - A high performance, robust ability system for UE4. Now Available!

Comment

Thanks for the reply, glad to see such good support for the plugin, I look forward to any future updates to come
          Last edited by Aumaan Anubis; 05-19-2017, 12:16 PM.

Comment

I posted on the marketplace page but I'll post here too:

"Would there be a way to blend two animations together using just this plugin? Like, if I wanted to have the character attack while running, could I do that in the plugins editor? Two separate animations, attack animation and run animation."

I'm pretty much trying to blend animations using the ones I have without a state machine and would like to just use the plugin.

Comment

Originally posted by TheQuiet1994 View Post
              I posted on the marketplace page but I'll post here too:

"Would there be a way to blend two animations together using just this plugin? Like, if I wanted to have the character attack while running, could I do that in the plugins editor? Two separate animations, attack animation and run animation."

I'm pretty much trying to blend animations using the ones I have without a state machine and would like to just use the plugin.
              Hey Quiet,

You could layer the attack animation over the run animation (using the dynamic montage option in Play Animation). But you wouldn't want to use Able to play your run animation, you would want that in a state machine and honestly a state machine is the best/most flexible way to deal with animations (which is why Able has its own Animation State Machine Node). Is there a reason you are avoiding state machines?
              Able Ability System - A high performance, robust ability system for UE4. Now Available!

Comment

Originally posted by ExtraLifeMatt View Post
                Hey Quiet,

You could layer the attack animation over the run animation (using the dynamic montage option in Play Animation). But you wouldn't want to use Able to play your run animation, you would want that in a state machine and honestly a state machine is the best/most flexible way to deal with animations (which is why Able has its own Animation State Machine Node). Is there a reason you are avoiding state machines?
                Not at all. I was struggling to understand a way to blend them together using a state machine AND calling the ability without one overriding the other. If Able has it's own state machine node, could I use it for what I'm trying to do or would I need to make the blend in an AB and then call the attack ability through Able?

Comment

Not at all. I was struggling to understand a way to blend them together using a state machine AND calling the ability without one overriding the other. If Able has it's own state machine node, could I use it for what I'm trying to do or would I need to make the blend in an AB and then call the attack ability through Able?
                  You can just setup a state machine for your locomotion, and setup one for your Abilities (although it would likely be just this node), and then blend results together. Or you can make it a part of your locomotion if you don't want Abilities to play while running/walking.

I have a tutorial up on how to setup the Ability Animation State Node that Able can use.

Comment

Okay, so now I can't open the ability blueprints. I created a new one, named it, and double clicked it and the engine crashed.

LoginId:
                    EpicAccountId:

Access violation - code c0000005 (first/second chance not available)

UE4Editor_CoreUObject
                    UE4Editor_AbleEditor!FAblAbilityEditor::CreatePreviewActor() [d:\build\++portal+main+full\sync\localbuilds\plugintemp\hostproject\plugins\able\source\ableeditor\private\abilityeditor\ablabilityeditor.cpp:499]
                    UE4Editor_AbleEditor!FAblAbilityEditor::SpawnPreviewActor() [d:\build\++portal+main+full\sync\localbuilds\plugintemp\hostproject\plugins\able\source\ableeditor\private\abilityeditor\ablabilityeditor.cpp:818]
                    UE4Editor_AbleEditor!FAppAbilityEditorTimelineMode::PostActivateMode() [d:\build\++portal+main+full\sync\localbuilds\plugintemp\hostproject\plugins\able\source\ableeditor\private\abilityeditor\ablabilityeditormodes.cpp:113]
                    UE4Editor_Kismet
                    UE4Editor_Kismet
                    UE4Editor_AbleEditor!FAblAbilityEditor::InitAbilityEditor() [d:\build\++portal+main+full\sync\localbuilds\plugintemp\hostproject\plugins\able\source\ableeditor\private\abilityeditor\ablabilityeditor.cpp:138]
                    UE4Editor_AbleEditor!FAssetTypeActions_AblAbilityBlueprint::OpenAssetEditor() [d:\build\++portal+main+full\sync\localbuilds\plugintemp\hostproject\plugins\able\source\ableeditor\private\abilityeditor\assettypeactions_ablabilityblueprint.cpp:56]
                    UE4Editor_UnrealEd
                    UE4Editor_AbleEditor!FAssetTypeActions_Base::AssetsActivated() [d:\build\++portal+main+full\sync\rocketsync\engine\source\developer\assettools\public\assettypeactions_base.h:50]
                    UE4Editor_ContentBrowser
                    UE4Editor_ContentBrowser
                    UE4Editor_ContentBrowser
                    UE4Editor_ContentBrowser
                    UE4Editor_ContentBrowser
                    UE4Editor_ContentBrowser
                    UE4Editor_ContentBrowser
                    UE4Editor_ContentBrowser
                    UE4Editor_ContentBrowser
                    UE4Editor_ContentBrowser
                    UE4Editor_Slate
                    UE4Editor_Slate
                    UE4Editor_Slate
                    UE4Editor_Slate
                    UE4Editor_Slate
                    UE4Editor_Core
                    UE4Editor_Core
                    UE4Editor_Core
                    UE4Editor_Core
                    user32
                    user32
                    UE4Editor_Core
                    UE4Editor
                    UE4Editor
                    UE4Editor
                    UE4Editor
                    UE4Editor
                    kernel32
                    ntdll
                    Last edited by TheQuiet1994; 05-19-2017, 11:49 PM.

Comment

Okay, so now I can't open the ability blueprints. I created a new one, named it, and double clicked it and the engine crashed.
                      Interesting. I haven't seen that callstack before. It looks like it's failing to create the preview actor. Were you able to open the Editor previously and set an asset to be the preview actor? Did that asset get deleted?

You can go into Able's settings (Project settings -> Able ) and manually change the preview asset to something valid.

EDIT: That does appear to be the issue (the Preview Asset couldn't be loaded for some reason). I've gone ahead and made it so it won't crash when that occurs. That'll be in the v1.5 update.
                      Last edited by ExtraLifeMatt; 05-20-2017, 12:12 PM.

Comment

Hello

I'm hoping you'll do a video on interrupting and canceling abilities via received damage, things like taking damage interrupting a "slow melee" ability.
                        But also, how to specify the damage type that can interrupt (example: "melee damage" can interrupt player melee, but "burning damage" does not interrupt)

Comment

Just a heads up, I think the sale ends in < 24 hours. So, if you're on the fence - you gotta decide soon.

Originally posted by Aumaan Anubis View Post

Hello

I'm hoping you'll do a video on interrupting and canceling abilities via received damage, things like taking damage interrupting a "slow melee" ability.
                          But also, how to specify the damage type that can interrupt (example: "melee damage" can interrupt player melee, but "burning damage" does not interrupt)
                          Sure. I was planning to do another Damage video since I seem to get a question about just basic damage hook up on the character side about once a week. There's a couple ways to do what you're asking. All of which are pretty simple. Should make for a fun video.

Comment

Pretty happy with how v1.5 is shaping up.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Ablev15.png
Views:	1
Size:	467.2 KB
ID:	1128351

Notes so far:
                            • Fix a crash when passing in a null Ability to ActivateAbility.
                            • Fix to a crash when the Preview Asset can not be loaded.
                            • Added an option for "Descriptive Task Titles" which provides a dynamic description of a task. This option is enabled by default.
                            • Your currently selected task is now highlighted on the Timeline.
                            • Dependency Drop down respects the Descriptive Task Title option.

Last thing on my list is to expose Particle Emitter Instance Parameters in some clean way so you can hook beams to various Context targets (or potentially just some 3D point). That's taking a bit longer than I would like, but I should still have it done sometime this weekend. May increase the highlighting effect as well, still deciding on that one.

Comment

Crash Win64 4.15.2

Assertion failed: ScratchPad [File:\Build\++Portal+Main+Full\Sync\LocalBuilds\PluginTemp\HostProject\Plugins\Able\Source\AbleCore\Private\Tasks\ablPlayParticleEffectTask.cpp] [Line: 135]

UE4Editor_Core!FDebug::AssertFailed() [d:\build\++ue4+release-4.15+compile\sync\engine\source\runtime\core\private\misc\assertionmacros.cpp:349]
                              UE4Editor_AbleCore!UAblPlayParticleEffectTask::OnTaskEnd() [d:\build\++portal+main+full\sync\localbuilds\plugintemp\hostproject\plugins\able\source\ablecore\private\tasks\ablplayparticleeffecttask.cpp:138]
                              UE4Editor_AbleCore!UAblAbilityInstance::InternalUpdateTasks() [d:\build\++portal+main+full\sync\localbuilds\plugintemp\hostproject\plugins\able\source\ablecore\private\ablabilityinstance.cpp:410]
                              UE4Editor_AbleCore!TGraphTask<FAsyncAbilityInstanceUpdaterTask>::ExecuteTask() [d:\build\++portal+main+full\sync\rocketsync\engine\source\runtime\core\public\async\taskgraphinterfaces.h:883]
                              UE4Editor_Core!FNamedTaskThread::ProcessTasksNamedThread() [d:\build\++ue4+release-4.15+compile\sync\engine\source\runtime\core\private\async\taskgraph.cpp:954]
                              UE4Editor_Core!FNamedTaskThread::ProcessTasksUntilIdle() [d:\build\++ue4+release-4.15+compile\sync\engine\source\runtime\core\private\async\taskgraph.cpp:716]
                              UE4Editor_Engine!FTickTaskSequencer::ReleaseTickGroup() [d:\build\++ue4+release-4.15+compile\sync\engine\source\runtime\engine\private\ticktaskmanager.cpp:555]
                              UE4Editor_Engine!FTickTaskManager::RunTickGroup() [d:\build\++ue4+release-4.15+compile\sync\engine\source\runtime\engine\private\ticktaskmanager.cpp:1450]
                              UE4Editor_Engine!UWorld::RunTickGroup() [d:\build\++ue4+release-4.15+compile\sync\engine\source\runtime\engine\private\leveltick.cpp:758]
                              UE4Editor_Engine!UWorld::Tick() [d:\build\++ue4+release-4.15+compile\sync\engine\source\runtime\engine\private\leveltick.cpp:1384]
                              UE4Editor_AbleEditor!FAbilityEditorViewportClient::Tick() [d:\build\++portal+main+full\sync\localbuilds\plugintemp\hostproject\plugins\able\source\ableeditor\private\abilityeditor\ablabilityeditorviewportclient.cpp:220]
                              UE4Editor_UnrealEd!UEditorEngine::Tick() [d:\build\++ue4+release-4.15+compile\sync\engine\source\editor\unrealed\private\editorengine.cpp:1698]
                              UE4Editor_UnrealEd!UUnrealEdEngine::Tick() [d:\build\++ue4+release-4.15+compile\sync\engine\source\editor\unrealed\private\unrealedengine.cpp:391]
                              UE4Editor!FEngineLoop::Tick() [d:\build\++ue4+release-4.15+compile\sync\engine\source\runtime\launch\private\launchengineloop.cpp:3025]
                              UE4Editor!GuardedMain() [d:\build\++ue4+release-4.15+compile\sync\engine\source\runtime\launch\private\launch.cpp:166]
                              UE4Editor!GuardedMainWrapper() [d:\build\++ue4+release-4.15+compile\sync\engine\source\runtime\launch\private\windows\launchwindows.cpp:134]
                              UE4Editor!WinMain() [d:\build\++ue4+release-4.15+compile\sync\engine\source\runtime\launch\private\windows\launchwindows.cpp:210]
                              UE4Editor!__scrt_common_main_seh() [f:\dd\vctools\crt\vcstartup\src\startup\exe_common.inl:264]
                              kernel32
                              ntdll

Comment

Originally posted by ExtraLifeMatt View Post
                                Pretty happy with how v1.5 is shaping up.

Notes so far:
                                • Fix a crash when passing in a null Ability to ActivateAbility.
                                • Fix to a crash when the Preview Asset can not be loaded.
                                • Added an option for "Descriptive Task Titles" which provides a dynamic description of a task. This option is enabled by default.
                                • Your currently selected task is now highlighted on the Timeline.
                                • Dependency Drop down respects the Descriptive Task Title option.

Last thing on my list is to expose Particle Emitter Instance Parameters in some clean way so you can hook beams to various Context targets (or potentially just some 3D point). That's taking a bit longer than I would like, but I should still have it done sometime this weekend. May increase the highlighting effect as well, still deciding on that one.
                                Thanks so much!

Comment

Working...
                                X