• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok but i it does same on new project also

Comment

Originally posted by jwyuen View Post
      Ok but i it does same on new project also
      What version of UE4?
      Able Ability System - A high performance, robust ability system for UE4. Now Available!

Comment

Right i tried it on UE4 4.20 / 4.21. Installs fine.
        I can view animations and all in single node its fine, I can even use it in game.

Since we going in circles here, Its nothing to do with the function of the plugin as it works fine.

Its choosing an animation and problem is swapping to another animation in drop down.
        I click on another animation but it just does not change, I tried it on new clean project and same thing.
        I uninstalled the plugin from epic games and reinstalled it again.

Its the drop down box that does not change animation.
        The only thing i gotta do is to remove animation and add animation and choose another one this way.

Can you try it out matt and tell me what happens when you try and change animation.
        Check photo below
        Add able file, Add task, Play animation, Pick an Animation. Highlight the animation bar.
        Click task propertys then under animation pick a new one from dropdown.
        Please tell me if it changes at your end.

I am using 4.20/4.21 and both clean projects.

Comment

Right i tried it on UE4 4.20 / 4.21. Installs fine.
          I can view animations and all in single node its fine, I can even use it in game.

Since we going in circles here, Its nothing to do with the function of the plugin as it works fine.

Its choosing an animation and problem is swapping to another animation in drop down.
          I click on another animation but it just does not change, I tried it on new clean project and same thing.
          I uninstalled the plugin from epic games and reinstalled it again.

Its the drop down box that does not change animation.
          The only thing i gotta do is to remove animation and add animation and choose another one this way.

Can you try it out matt and tell me what happens when you try and change animation.
          Check photo below
          Add able file, Add task, Play animation, Pick an Animation. Highlight the animation bar.
          Click task propertys then under animation pick a new one from dropdown.
          Please tell me if it changes at your end.

I am using 4.20/4.21 and both clean projects.

Yup, I can do that this evening and report back. That helps clear things up a bit. Thanks Jesse, sorry for all the back and forth on this.
          Able Ability System - A high performance, robust ability system for UE4. Now Available!

Comment

thanks for getting back to me, Its fine I know your busy with this new update!
            Looking forward to this. IF worst comes to worst, I can just do montages for them all and change the anims in montage if needed. Speak soon
            J

Comment

So, I wanted to give a bit of a background / roadmap / status update on Able 3.0

Spoiler

So, that's the peek behind the curtain. I think people will really enjoy this update once it's ready to go out (no ETA, lots of things are still in flight and I want to really hammer on this before it goes out).

Comment

Hi, I'm making an ability that spawns a projectile actor that homes on my targeted actor. I have everything working, except I would like the damage to be applied when the projectile collides with the target actor instead of once the projectile is spawned. What would be the best way to go about making the damage wait to be applied until the collision occurs?

Comment

I want to know how good/useful this plugin would be for making an over the shoulder third person action shooter with a level system (Think The Evil Within 2 but with stats and a level system). First question is how easy is it to integrate into a project that has assets/BP/Animations/levels/etc already in it or would I have to start from scratch? Since I’m a solo dev with absolutely no budget I won’t be able to buy the plugin until my games prototype is finished so I can apply for 2 (hopefully) 50k dev grants. Limb damage? I mean as dynamic damage to certain parts of an enemy’s body ( for example you shoot an enemy’s hand the hand falls off and only does 8 damage to the enemy’s 500 HP). How janky is gameplay made from this plugin out of the box? (Without tweaking). Does this work for character Interaction? (Pushing buttons, picking up stuff, activating UI *such as diegetic UI*, etc) How complex is it to learn? I’ve tried Character Interaction from the unreal marketplace but it’s super complex, not as documented as it needs to be as well as being janky. The big broad question is would I be able to make a complete game system (Shooting, different weapons/weapon types, movement system/basic vaulting and climbing up ledges, different types of enemies, swimming, *I don’t mean like animation, texture, 3D model, jank I mean just how the system works*) using this plugin? This has been a ton of questions so sorry I’m just confused on what exactly this plugin is for.

Comment

Can you explain custom task better please?

Comment

Originally posted by janseno1003 View Post
                      Hi, I'm making an ability that spawns a projectile actor that homes on my targeted actor. I have everything working, except I would like the damage to be applied when the projectile collides with the target actor instead of once the projectile is spawned. What would be the best way to go about making the damage wait to be applied until the collision occurs?
                      You could just use the "On Actor Overlap" on the Projectile to apply damage (or even run an ability that plays some effect and applies damage there). Basically just treat it like a normal projectile.

Can you explain custom task better please?
                      Custom Task is a pure Blueprint driven task that behaves like it's C++ counter parts.

You can override / use various BP methods to build the task:

- OnTaskStart is called when the Task begins. You would want to do any task setup here (You can use GetActorsForTask to get a list of all actors your task should affect according to how the user set it up in the ability editor). If your Task is just a single frame, you'd do the logic here as well.
                      - OnTaskTick is called when the Task is running.
                      - OnTaskEnd is called when the Task is completed. You would do any clean up logic here, if needed.
                      - IsDone is a logic check, that by default, just checks if the task time has been met but you can add special logic.
                      - IsSingleFrame let's you return true if you want the task to be a single frame (so OnTaskTick won't be called), or if it's a multi-frame long task.
                      - GetTaskRealm let's you modify what realm you want the task to be (Client, Server, or Both).
                      - CreateScratchPad let's you return a UAblCustomTaskScratchPad based class that you can use to store any state information (various variables, actors, etc). These scratch pads are allocated per ability execution.
                      - GetTaskCategory is what category you want the task to appear under in the Ability editor (you can use '|' to do sub category: MainCategory|SubCategory).
                      - GetTaskName is the name of the Task in the Ability Editor.
                      - GetDescriptiveTaskName is a more elaborate version of GetTaskName that is built at runtime when the Tasks are placed in the Ability Editor (e.g, "PlayAnimation:<animation name>" is the descriptive name).
                      - GetTaskDesciption is just a one or two line summary of what the task does. This appears in the Task selection dialog at the bottom of the window.
                      - GetTaskColor is just the default color you want to assign to this Task.

Originally posted by Lopiky1 View Post
                      I want to know how good/useful this plugin would be for making an over the shoulder third person action shooter with a level system (Think The Evil Within 2 but with stats and a level system). First question is how easy is it to integrate into a project that has assets/BP/Animations/levels/etc already in it or would I have to start from scratch? Since I’m a solo dev with absolutely no budget I won’t be able to buy the plugin until my games prototype is finished so I can apply for 2 (hopefully) 50k dev grants. Limb damage? I mean as dynamic damage to certain parts of an enemy’s body ( for example you shoot an enemy’s hand the hand falls off and only does 8 damage to the enemy’s 500 HP). How janky is gameplay made from this plugin out of the box? (Without tweaking). Does this work for character Interaction? (Pushing buttons, picking up stuff, activating UI *such as diegetic UI*, etc) How complex is it to learn? I’ve tried Character Interaction from the unreal marketplace but it’s super complex, not as documented as it needs to be as well as being janky. The big broad question is would I be able to make a complete game system (Shooting, different weapons/weapon types, movement system/basic vaulting and climbing up ledges, different types of enemies, swimming, *I don’t mean like animation, texture, 3D model, jank I mean just how the system works*) using this plugin? This has been a ton of questions so sorry I’m just confused on what exactly this plugin is for.

Able isn't going to do movement / pushing / etc for you. It's more a tool you can use to help tie animations / sounds / particle effects / damage all together into a single discrete asset - which we normally just refer to as "Abilities". While you can certainly do a shooter with Able (I even did a quick tutorial using Shooter Game, you can see the tutorials here ). I will say your goal is rather ambitious, and no one tool is going to help you cobble it together. Instead, you should take things step by step. Follow some YouTube tutorials on building a 3rd party action game, add features (vaulting, climbing, interacting with buttons, etc). Don't try to run before you can walk. Instead, eat the elephant bite by bite.
                      Last edited by ExtraLifeMatt; 01-15-2019, 11:05 AM.

Comment

Thanks will look into it after work. Just need to sort out what i want to do. Plans all over the place hehe

Comment

hehe Another thing i noticed
                          in Graph in able, cant use Get all actors of class! ><

Comment

hehe Another thing i noticed
                            in Graph in able, cant use Get all actors of class! ><
                            That is by design because Abilities aren't level blueprints. You shouldn't be using Get All Actors of Class. You instead want to use "GetActorsForTask" which will return the actors your Ability has targeted.

Comment

Right.. So i can output actors into character bps. Lol making a supernatural game atm. Got so much involved. Its based on supernatural tv show but not got main characters. Its all based around datatables. Got most of it to work like enter devils trap if a demon it will stun them until it passes a d&d style check behind scenes on tick. Spirits cant leave the area unless pc or npc picks up item holding them there and can stay around nav mesh then functions like haunt can do stuff. Complex stuff but getting things to work in development level. Demons in non possessed beings atm is swirling tornados of black smoke and can pass a dice roll to possess pc and npc. Fun project but based around char bp and npc bp.

Comment

Hey matt regarding the other problem montages changes when selecting animations but not anim seq. No biggy continue your 3.0 update its like problem solving ng everytime haha detective jesse haha cant wait until you release the new update

Comment

Working...
                                X