Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    Originally posted by mikecoker View Post
    ExtraLifeMatt I'm working on a multiplayer game and have an ability that I want to make passive (haste buff). It plays a particle fx and temporarily modifies movement speed. If it is not marked as passive, everything seems to work, except I cannot activate another ability while the haste is active. If I mark it as passive, it works on the server side but does not seem to work on the client side. Meaning when the client activates it, the particle doesn't play and movement speed doesn't seem to change. Am I missing something or is this a bug?

Thanks

EDIT: Actually, the speed modifier does work but the particle fx doesn't work on the client. I'm doing the speed modifier with a custom event that probably executes on the server.
    I can check, but there should be no difference between passives and actives when it comes to playing particle effects. I use particles as one of my test cases since it's so easy to setup. One of the demos in the Showcase project actually has a looping passive that is just a particle effect.

You could put a breakpoint in ablPlayParticleEffectTask and see if it's getting called on the client. Otherwise I'll try this out later this week.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    ExtraLifeMatt I'm working on a multiplayer game and have an ability that I want to make passive (haste buff). It plays a particle fx and temporarily modifies movement speed. If it is not marked as passive, everything seems to work, except I cannot activate another ability while the haste is active. If I mark it as passive, it works on the server side but does not seem to work on the client side. Meaning when the client activates it, the particle doesn't play and movement speed doesn't seem to change. Am I missing something or is this a bug?

Thanks

EDIT: Actually, the speed modifier does work but the particle fx doesn't work on the client. I'm doing the speed modifier with a custom event that probably executes on the server.
    Last edited by jimmay.10; 03-20-2018, 12:14 PM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    @extralife

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I hope the update comes out today on the store, I was planning on doing a stream of making a game just with assets I bought on the summer sale, lol.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by ExtraLifeMatt View Post

Are you sure you aren't just stacking up a ton of passives or some such? There is a small amount of memory that is allocated for each Ability (the scratchpads), but those are super tiny and shouldn't be noticeable unless you are somehow generating 100,000's or some such crazy number in a very short time frame. And even then they should get immediately cleaned up when GC runs. The face that you are getting continual degradation screams that you're likely just applying a ton of Abilities over and over without any finishing. I'd check whatever logic you are doing to fire the Abilities.

Able 2.20 is almost done (doing the 4.19 build right now), so I'll post notes shortly.
    Yep, the only ability called/enabled at all is the one I mentioned. Right now it stopped happening... I didn't change anything so not sure why, but I'll call it a win nonetheless hahaha. Also thanks, looking forward to 2.20

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Able v2.20 has been submitted. Notes below:

NOTE: 4.19 Users, I had to disable the reflection component for the preview scene in the Ability Editor. The alternative was to have an annoying "You need to re-bake your reflection data" stuck to the top of the screen. You may or may not notice the component being gone (I didn't notice it). I'm going to continue trying to find out how to re-enable it in a way that doesn't spam the user, but for now it's turned off. Just an FYI.
    The prototyping is intensifying.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Able v2.20 has been submitted. Notes below:

Able v2.20

- BUGFIX: Fixed a potential GC crash in Set Shader Parameter Task.

- BUGFIX: Fixed an issue where Interrupting an Animation wouldn't properly interrupt.

- BUGFIX: Fixed an issue where some Condition fields weren't edittable.

- BUGFIX: Fixed an issue where CanLoopExecute wasn't getting called.

- LEGAL: Fixed copyright info for 2018.

- FEATURE: Added 4.19 support.

- FEATURE: Added C++ versions of Blueprint events. These are called by default by Blueprint Events you haven't overloaded, or you can call them explicitly by using a "Add Call to Parent" within your overloaded BP event.

- FEATURE: Added an option to wait on all Tasks to finished before considering an Ability finished. This is useful for cases where your own tasks may have an undetermined length.

- FEATURE: Added Ability to non-cache cooldown methods. This allows users to dynamically change their cooldown length and have it respected even when an Ability is already on cooldown.

- FEATURE: Added "Cancel Ability Task" which will cancel an Ability on the targets based on the user setting a specific Ability, or a Gameplay Tag Query - in which case it'll remove all Abilities that fit that query. You can also have it remove a Passive Stack (with or without refreshing the stack duration), or clear the stack entirely for that passive.

- FEATURE: Added and exposed SetPassiveStackCount method to Blueprints.

- FEATURE: Added "Clear Animation Queue On Interrupt" to Play Animation Task, which will clear any queued animations as well as the current playing animation.

- FEATURE: Added a Blend Out value as well for blending out of animations when the Animation Node has no other animations queued up (otherwise the queued Animation's Blend In takes priority).
    NOTE: 4.19 Users, I had to disable the reflection component for the preview scene in the Ability Editor. The alternative was to have an annoying "You need to re-bake your reflection data" stuck to the top of the screen. You may or may not notice the component being gone (I didn't notice it). I'm going to continue trying to find out how to re-enable it in a way that doesn't spam the user, but for now it's turned off. Just an FYI.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by jfaztk View Post
    I have an issue when looping an animation. The more loop iterations occur, the worse my performance gets. If I have an animation looping every .05 seconds, my game gets progressively slower until like 3 seconds later it's running at 10fps. If I have an animation looping every .2 seconds, then it takes about 10 seconds for it to get down to 10fps, and I am assuming it keeps scaling like that the lengthier the loop is. Not sure what could be causing this; animation node and single both suffer from this. It's definitely an ability issue because I can manually loop it just fine without any lag. Thanks for any help.
    Are you sure you aren't just stacking up a ton of passives or some such? There is a small amount of memory that is allocated for each Ability (the scratchpads), but those are super tiny and shouldn't be noticeable unless you are somehow generating 100,000's or some such crazy number in a very short time frame. And even then they should get immediately cleaned up when GC runs. The face that you are getting continual degradation screams that you're likely just applying a ton of Abilities over and over without any finishing. I'd check whatever logic you are doing to fire the Abilities.

Able 2.20 is almost done (doing the 4.19 build right now), so I'll post notes shortly.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I have an issue when looping an animation. The more loop iterations occur, the worse my performance gets. If I have an animation looping every .05 seconds, my game gets progressively slower until like 3 seconds later it's running at 10fps. If I have an animation looping every .2 seconds, then it takes about 10 seconds for it to get down to 10fps, and I am assuming it keeps scaling like that the lengthier the loop is. Not sure what could be causing this; animation node and single both suffer from this. It's definitely an ability issue because I can manually loop it just fine without any lag. Thanks for any help.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by SteamPunkProgrammer View Post
    Just out of curiosity; Is there a projected time on the next release (for 4.19 I assume which released day before yesterday) I just want to gauge if I should use what is there and just update later
    Yea, I just saw the 4.19 release, so I'll try and have the update out this weekend so they can process it and publish the update early next week.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Just out of curiosity; Is there a projected time on the next release (for 4.19 I assume which released day before yesterday) I just want to gauge if I should use what is there and just update later

Leave a comment:

• replied

That's a trivial add. I can toss that in the next update as well.

Sweet! Happy to hear it

Leave a comment:

• replied

The point is for animation canceling within abilities, say you have an attack with a sword that has a nice 'return back to normal position' animation but you dont care about that if the player is moving at the time (ie the animation cancels into the action of moving the moment the animation has completed 'enough') There are lots of usages for things like this to make an ability system feel more smooth.

Yea, I've canceled the ability manually myself, as I said its easy to make a custom task to handle it, and it works fine, but a real task would make it easier.

Ahh I see what you mean, I'm currently doing that as well, I'll add +1 to your suggestion
    That's a trivial add. I can toss that in the next update as well.

Leave a comment:

• replied

The point is for animation canceling within abilities, say you have an attack with a sword that has a nice 'return back to normal position' animation but you dont care about that if the player is moving at the time (ie the animation cancels into the action of moving the moment the animation has completed 'enough') There are lots of usages for things like this to make an ability system feel more smooth.

Yea, I've canceled the ability manually myself, as I said its easy to make a custom task to handle it, and it works fine, but a real task would make it easier.
    Ahh I see what you mean, I'm currently doing that as well, I'll add +1 to your suggestion

Leave a comment:

• replied

Why would you want that? Can't you just decrease the time of the ability? Or do you want to specify conditions to end it in? Also, have you tried using "Cancel Ability" on the ability component? I would just have a custom event that checks for whatever parameters you want and then I'd call cancel ability if they are true. I haven't tried it though.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X