Able Ability System Info and Support Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    I just did rebuild from source (git hub 4.19 - release) followed your exact steps - again, still the same - issue persists :/
    Waiting for 2.21 now

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Talanar View Post
    I did but decided against it as I thought that stock 4.19 will work 100% so you suggest trying to pull a 4.19 from git, installing the plugin + compiling it from source?

If so, where should the plugin be located? In the engine/plugins/marketplace/able folder (like it gets installed by the launcher) or in the project content/plugins folder?
    The benefits of building the engine from git source is: You can fix any bugs you find in the engine without waiting for releases (unlikely, but it happens), you get informative callstacks when something goes wrong (and can debug them), and you can step through all the code to debug things (or just use it as a learning resource).

The downside is you have to compile the engine (which can be a bit long the first time, 45minutes - 1 hour 1/2) and deploying engine builds can be a bit annoying (but its do-able). Likely, for your case, you would toss the Able source folder in Engine/Plugins, Generate the Engine solution, Build - and that's it. That's how I personally run on all my projects.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I did but decided against it as I thought that stock 4.19 will work 100% so you suggest trying to pull a 4.19 from git, installing the plugin + compiling it from source?

If so, where should the plugin be located? In the engine/plugins/marketplace/able folder (like it gets installed by the launcher) or in the project content/plugins folder?
    Last edited by Talanar; 04-09-2018, 11:07 AM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Im holding my fingers crossed that the 2.21 will help me out with my problems. If not would it be possible to acquire an old plugin packaged for 4.18 ? As far as I know, no one experienced this problem before 4.19 - I asked 3 of my friends to confirm they have the same issue and they did.
    Yup, ping me via PM if 2.21 doesn't help you and I'll get you an older version.

EDIT: I'll also keep investigating things on my end. Have you thought of using a custom build version of the engine? That would allow you to avoid all this since you'd just be compiling Able against the source.
    Last edited by ExtraLifeMatt; 04-09-2018, 10:57 AM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Im holding my fingers crossed that the 2.21 will help me out with my problems. If not would it be possible to acquire an old plugin packaged for 4.18 ? As far as I know, no one experienced this problem before 4.19 - I asked 3 of my friends to confirm they have the same issue and they did.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by mesterKG View Post

Yes. The paths in the callstack confirms it. I haven't debugged anything yet so not much more information I can give you at this point. except from this info in the able.uplugin file:
    "FileVersion": 3,
    "Version": 19,
    "VersionName": "2.15",
    "FriendlyName": "Able",

Maybe there is a newer version of Able we could try..

--mesterKG
    Latest is 2.20, with 2.21 due out today or tomorrow.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    That's the fix and the callstack for that nullptr crash. Are you sure you recompiled the engine and are running against that version? You'll need to right click on your uproject file and tell it to use your custom version of the engine.
    Yes. The paths in the callstack confirms it. I haven't debugged anything yet so not much more information I can give you at this point. except from this info in the able.uplugin file:
    "FileVersion": 3,
    "Version": 19,
    "VersionName": "2.15",
    "FriendlyName": "Able",

Maybe there is a newer version of Able we could try..

--mesterKG

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by mesterKG View Post
    Hi,

I'm struggling with the standalone issue, ie. when running in standalone from editor or RMB on uproject file and Launch, the game crashes on load with this in log
    Code:
    [2018.04.09-12.09.12:697][ 0]LoadErrors: Failed to load /Script/AbleEditor.AblAbilityGraph Referenced by ABY_Farmer_BowRaiseAndDraw_01
    [2018.04.09-12.09.12:697][ 0]LogUObjectGlobals: Warning: Failed to load '/Script/AbleEditor': Can't find file '/Script/AbleEditor'
    [2018.04.09-12.09.12:697][ 0]LogLinker: Warning: Can't find file for asset '/Script/AbleEditor' while loading NULL.
    [2018.04.09-12.09.12:697][ 0]LoadErrors: Failed to load /Script/AbleEditor.AblAbilityGraph Referenced by ABY_Farmer_BowRaiseAndDraw_01
    [2018.04.09-12.09.12:697][ 0]LogUObjectGlobals: Warning: Failed to load '/Script/AbleEditor': Can't find file for asset '/Script/AbleEditor' while loading NULL.
    [2018.04.09-12.09.19:236][ 0]LogWindows: Error: === Critical error: ===
    [2018.04.09-12.09.19:236][ 0]LogWindows: Error:
    [2018.04.09-12.09.19:236][ 0]LogWindows: Error: Fatal error!
    [2018.04.09-12.09.19:236][ 0]LogWindows: Error: Unhandled Exception: EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION reading address 0x00000060
    [2018.04.09-12.09.19:236][ 0]LogWindows: Error: [Callstack] 0x00000000458504A9 UE4Editor-Engine.dll!UEdGraph::GetAllChildrenGraphs() [c:\gamedev\mesterkg_lightspark\unrealengine\engine\source\runtime\engine\private\edgraph\edgraph.cpp:340]
    [2018.04.09-12.09.19:236][ 0]LogWindows: Error: [Callstack] 0x00000000454F7794 UE4Editor-Engine.dll!UBlueprint::GetAllGraphs() [c:\gamedev\mesterkg_lightspark\unrealengine\engine\source\runtime\engine\private\blueprint.cpp:1542]
    [2018.04.09-12.09.19:237][ 0]LogWindows: Error: [Callstack] 0x0000000052DCA8E0 UE4Editor-UnrealEd.dll!FRegenerationHelper::LinkExternalDependencies() [c:\gamedev\mesterkg_lightspark\unrealengine\engine\source\editor\unrealed\private\kismet2\blueprinteditorutils.cpp:1096]
    [2018.04.09-12.09.19:237][ 0]LogWindows: Error: [Callstack] 0x0000000052DCA651 UE4Editor-UnrealEd.dll!FBlueprintEditorUtils::LinkExternalDependencies() [c:\gamedev\mesterkg_lightspark\unrealengine\engine\source\editor\unrealed\private\kismet2\blueprinteditorutils.cpp:1560]
    [2018.04.09-12.09.19:237][ 0]LogWindows: Error: [Callstack] 0x000000004551548E UE4Editor-Engine.dll!UBlueprint::RegenerateClass() [c:\gamedev\mesterkg_lightspark\unrealengine\engine\source\runtime\engine\private\blueprint.cpp:649]
    Last I asked about this, you referred me to a fix in engine code. I've applied that fix:
    Code:
    UClass* FBlueprintEditorUtils::RegenerateBlueprintClass(UBlueprint* Blueprint, UClass* ClassToRegenerate, UObject* PreviousCDO, TArray<UObject*>& ObjLoaded)
    {
    // Purge any NULL graphs - fix for ABLE standalone issue
    FBlueprintEditorUtils::PurgeNullGraphs(Blueprint);

bool bRegenerated = false;

// Cache off the dirty flag for the package, so we can restore it later
    UPackage* Package = Blueprint->GetOutermost();
    bool bIsPackageDirty = Package ? Package->IsDirty() : false;
    Any ideas?

--mesterKG
    That's the fix and the callstack for that nullptr crash. Are you sure you recompiled the engine and are running against that version? You'll need to right click on your uproject file and tell it to use your custom version of the engine.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Hi,

I'm struggling with the standalone issue, ie. when running in standalone from editor or RMB on uproject file and Launch, the game crashes on load with this in log
    Code:
    [2018.04.09-12.09.12:697][  0]LoadErrors: Failed to load /Script/AbleEditor.AblAbilityGraph Referenced by ABY_Farmer_BowRaiseAndDraw_01
    [2018.04.09-12.09.12:697][  0]LogUObjectGlobals: Warning: Failed to load '/Script/AbleEditor': Can't find file '/Script/AbleEditor'
    [2018.04.09-12.09.12:697][  0]LogLinker: Warning: Can't find file for asset '/Script/AbleEditor' while loading NULL.
    [2018.04.09-12.09.12:697][  0]LoadErrors: Failed to load /Script/AbleEditor.AblAbilityGraph Referenced by ABY_Farmer_BowRaiseAndDraw_01
    [2018.04.09-12.09.12:697][  0]LogUObjectGlobals: Warning: Failed to load '/Script/AbleEditor': Can't find file for asset '/Script/AbleEditor' while loading NULL.
    [2018.04.09-12.09.19:236][  0]LogWindows: Error: === Critical error: ===
    [2018.04.09-12.09.19:236][  0]LogWindows: Error:
    [2018.04.09-12.09.19:236][  0]LogWindows: Error: Fatal error!
    [2018.04.09-12.09.19:236][  0]LogWindows: Error: Unhandled Exception: EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION reading address 0x00000060
    [2018.04.09-12.09.19:236][  0]LogWindows: Error: [Callstack] 0x00000000458504A9 UE4Editor-Engine.dll!UEdGraph::GetAllChildrenGraphs() [c:\gamedev\mesterkg_lightspark\unrealengine\engine\source\runtime\engine\private\edgraph\edgraph.cpp:340]
    [2018.04.09-12.09.19:236][  0]LogWindows: Error: [Callstack] 0x00000000454F7794 UE4Editor-Engine.dll!UBlueprint::GetAllGraphs() [c:\gamedev\mesterkg_lightspark\unrealengine\engine\source\runtime\engine\private\blueprint.cpp:1542]
    [2018.04.09-12.09.19:237][  0]LogWindows: Error: [Callstack] 0x0000000052DCA8E0 UE4Editor-UnrealEd.dll!FRegenerationHelper::LinkExternalDependencies() [c:\gamedev\mesterkg_lightspark\unrealengine\engine\source\editor\unrealed\private\kismet2\blueprinteditorutils.cpp:1096]
    [2018.04.09-12.09.19:237][  0]LogWindows: Error: [Callstack] 0x0000000052DCA651 UE4Editor-UnrealEd.dll!FBlueprintEditorUtils::LinkExternalDependencies() [c:\gamedev\mesterkg_lightspark\unrealengine\engine\source\editor\unrealed\private\kismet2\blueprinteditorutils.cpp:1560]
    [2018.04.09-12.09.19:237][  0]LogWindows: Error: [Callstack] 0x000000004551548E UE4Editor-Engine.dll!UBlueprint::RegenerateClass() [c:\gamedev\mesterkg_lightspark\unrealengine\engine\source\runtime\engine\private\blueprint.cpp:649]
    Last I asked about this, you referred me to a fix in engine code. I've applied that fix:
    Code:
    UClass* FBlueprintEditorUtils::RegenerateBlueprintClass(UBlueprint* Blueprint, UClass* ClassToRegenerate, UObject* PreviousCDO, TArray<UObject*>& ObjLoaded)
    {
        // Purge any NULL graphs - fix for ABLE standalone issue
        FBlueprintEditorUtils::PurgeNullGraphs(Blueprint);

bool bRegenerated = false;

// Cache off the dirty flag for the package, so we can restore it later
        UPackage* Package = Blueprint->GetOutermost();
        bool bIsPackageDirty = Package ? Package->IsDirty() : false;
    Any ideas?

--mesterKG

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Able v2.21 is submitted. Notes below.
    - BUGFIX: Fixed an issue that prevented projects using Able from packaging properly after the v2.20 update.
    - BUGFIX: Fix to CalculateCooldown not being called properly.
    - BUGFIX: Fix to CanLoopExecute not being called properly.
    - FEATURE: Added "Dynamic Animation Asset" option to Play Animation Task. When enabled, "OnGetAnimationAsset" C++/BP Event will be called and the Animation Asset returned from there will be used as the Animation for the Play Animation Task. This is helpful if you want to do some sort of dynamic table look up or such for animations, but the rest of the Ability is the same across multiple characters.
    - FEATURE: Added "ShouldCancelAbility" C++/BP Event. This is called by the Cancel Ability Task and allows you to specify custom logic to decide whether or not to cancel an Ability running on the actor the task is targeting. Note that the specific Ability and Tag based check are still executed as well, so if you want total control, simply leave those fields blank on the task.
    mesterKG The easiest option is probably just to add an Ability Component to your bow and have it play a really simple animation. That means your Weapon has to be an Actor, but if that's already the case then that's no big deal. The other option is to set some variable on your character that your Animation Blueprint then reads and force plays the firing animation or what not on that weapon skeletal mesh. You could use Able's Custom Event Task to set that variable from the Abilites you want to use the weapon animation (a normal bow shot vs just a charge).

EDIT:
    Oh and a user started a discord server for fellow Able users: https://discord.gg/YPkGjQg

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Hi

I'm trying to make a bow shooting ability, but I'm wondering how to best go about it.. I want to have it so that when you press down primary button, the character raises the bow, draws back the string and holds it drawn until primary is released. If the release happens before a given time, the character goes back to idle. If release happens after a given time, a projectile should be shot. There should be a strength build-up while primary is pressed that control the initial velocity of projectile.

When pulling the bow string back, I need to play both the characters pull back animation, and the bow's pull back animation.

Edit: Additionally I'll have aimOffset blending so the character will be rotating upper body aiming the bow up and down and left and right.

So far I've got a montage for the character (using this to have easy blending in anim bp) with three sections:
    1 - bow raises to aiming position
    2 - arm pulling string back
    3 - holding the string pulled back. (This section is set to looping)

I'm playing this montage with the PlayAnimation task in my able ability. I've set the ability "IsChanneling" with input primary as condition. This makes the animations play nicely and I can interrupt at any time by releasing primary. I've also set the ability to be looping with timing same as the montage's last section.

Issue 1: When I release primary, the character snaps back to idle. It seems the montage blend-out time is ignored. I've debugged into the code and it seem the Montage_Stop is called with the correct m_blendout parameter, but to no effect. Any ideas what I'm doing wrong here? Something in Able, or something in my animation blueprint maybe? I've tried to just trigger and stop my montage outside of able, and then it works as expected with smooth blending back to idle.

Continuing.. My idea is to have this one raise-and-aim ability branch into a shooting ability with the branch being triggered by primary release. But this seems to be the wrong way, because of how I've set the whole ability to be channeling on Primary being pressed. When I release the primary, this interrupts the ability and the branch never happens. I suppose I could replace the branch task with logic scripted into the interrupted event. Any thoughts on how to best set this up?

I need to play animations on my character AND my bow. I haven't found a way to do this in one ability. So I thought to give the bow two abilities as well: one for pull back and one for shooting. Then I would trigger the abilities for the bow from the character abilities.. with custom events, perhaps.. Haven't looked to much on this yet. Any thoughts on how to best set this up?

Unrelated: After some frustration with the above complex setup.. I went to make a sword swing ability. This was done in 3 minutes and everything works as it should. I'm so looking forward to pumping out simple abilities and decorating them with effects and sounds and what not.. Thanks for an awesome plugin!

yours sincerely,
    mesterKG
    Last edited by mesterKG; 04-08-2018, 08:18 AM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    yup did it multiple times, from what I've gathered from other places on the forums, this kind of message pops up when the plugin has been compiled for a different version of the engine than the one that I'm using, but I've integrated it through the launcher and it doesnt let me choose witch compilation of the plugin to run.

This problem persists on engine versions from 4.17 - 4.19 for me. Otherwise the plugin works fine as far as I noticed, but this is something cruicial for me

also I dont know if this is significant but after opening the new ability for a first time This tab with CompilerResults and unrecognized tab pops up, but never shows again.

https://imgur.com/5Jdk5hC

edit:
    when I looked upon the Event itself in the code (I think thats what I'm looking at ) visual returns this warning:
    https://imgur.com/gL8kRuN

what am I missing here?
    Last edited by Talanar; 04-07-2018, 01:33 PM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    HI,
    I've recently bought your Able Ability System and integrated it into 4.19 engine (through the launcher). The problem I have is that upon opening the event graph of any ability all my events dont have context to pass and are displayed as CustomEvents

How it looks:
    https://imgur.com/WwBTUeQ

How it should look:
    https://imgur.com/KAbSlsO

What do I do wrong? I need that Context

edit:

upon opening any ability this error is displayed in the output log:

LogBlueprint: Warning: Node '/Game/RogueContent/Unit/Abilities/test.test:Able Ability Graph.K2Node_Event_0' missing NodeGuid, this can cause deterministic cooking issues please resave package.
    LogBlueprint: Warning: Node '/Game/RogueContent/Unit/Abilities/test.test:Able Ability Graph.K2Node_Event_1' missing NodeGuid, this can cause deterministic cooking issues please resave package.
    LogBlueprint: Warning: Node '/Game/RogueContent/Unit/Abilities/test.test:Able Ability Graph.K2Node_Event_2' missing NodeGuid, this can cause deterministic cooking issues please resave package.
    LogBlueprint: Warning: Node '/Game/RogueContent/Unit/Abilities/test.test:Able Ability Graph.K2Node_Event_3' missing NodeGuid, this can cause deterministic cooking issues please resave package.

Same thing happens on 4.18.3,
    Any ideas on how I can debug this problem are much appreciated
    Thanks,
    Can't say I've seen that before. That warning appears benign, since it would regenerate a NodeGuid. Did you try relaunching the Editor after you integrated the plugin into your game?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    HI,
    I've recently bought your Able Ability System and integrated it into 4.19 engine (through the launcher). The problem I have is that upon opening the event graph of any ability all my events dont have context to pass and are displayed as CustomEvents

How it looks:
    https://imgur.com/WwBTUeQ

How it should look:
    https://imgur.com/KAbSlsO

What do I do wrong? I need that Context

edit:

upon opening any ability this error is displayed in the output log:

LogBlueprint: Warning: Node '/Game/RogueContent/Unit/Abilities/test.test:Able Ability Graph.K2Node_Event_0' missing NodeGuid, this can cause deterministic cooking issues please resave package.
    LogBlueprint: Warning: Node '/Game/RogueContent/Unit/Abilities/test.test:Able Ability Graph.K2Node_Event_1' missing NodeGuid, this can cause deterministic cooking issues please resave package.
    LogBlueprint: Warning: Node '/Game/RogueContent/Unit/Abilities/test.test:Able Ability Graph.K2Node_Event_2' missing NodeGuid, this can cause deterministic cooking issues please resave package.
    LogBlueprint: Warning: Node '/Game/RogueContent/Unit/Abilities/test.test:Able Ability Graph.K2Node_Event_3' missing NodeGuid, this can cause deterministic cooking issues please resave package.

Same thing happens on 4.18.3,
    Any ideas on how I can debug this problem are much appreciated
    Thanks,
    Last edited by Talanar; 04-07-2018, 10:43 AM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by ExtraLifeMatt View Post

I haven't heard anything from Epic.

You can find the fix for that here:

https://forums.unrealengine.com/unre...53#post1411553

It requires changing the engine source (it's a one line change). I'll try and get another bug report submitted.
    Thanks for the prompt response. Going custom engine has come up several times lately, so we'll certainly consider it. Would be nice if Epic could fix their side though..

--kg

Leave a comment:

Working...
X