Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Able Ability System Info and Support Thread

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #61
    Originally posted by Wurlox View Post
    [MENTION=172958]ExtraLifeMatt[/MENTION] Thank you for the new showcase video. That looks really good so far. If you can dig into the third person matter like you mentioned that would be nice. However we will be soon purchasing your asset as we think we can tweak it for third person purposes. What's really important for us is the free aiming system. For that we need the collision check on the particles. I'm not quite sure if that is possible with your system yet. In the trailer there is a showcase of a fireball spell that explodes on impact so I think that's possible and maybe I just didn't see it yet.

    Edit: Ok just checked again. The rocket launcher example is exactly what we need as it seems.

    As soon as I get my hands on this I will try to rebuild some spells we already did. Looking forward to that.

    Regards,
    Wurlox
    Sounds good. The Rocket Launcher / Fireball all have their own collision volumes setup which then just calls some applies a passive ability that does a query, plays a particle effect, and then damages entities. Pretty simple, but yea, feel free to dig into the example projects to see how I have them setup.
    Able Ability System - A high performance, robust ability system for UE4. Now Available!

    Comment


      #62
      Can we get a tutorial on having a character with multiple abilities at the same time with different action mapping, Like dodge, and attacking, and blocking.

      Also it would be nice if you would do a tutorial on overriding the function of able.

      Comment


        #63
        Originally posted by IronSuit View Post
        Can we get a tutorial on having a character with multiple abilities at the same time with different action mapping, Like dodge, and attacking, and blocking.

        Also it would be nice if you would do a tutorial on overriding the function of able.
        The Shooter Game example actually shows mapping different abilities at run-time. It's very simple to do. Let's say you have 3 Inputs (using your example, Dodge, Attack, and Block) - when the Dodge Input is pressed, you would activate your dodge ability. Attack input, activate the attack ability, etc. Basically all that is changing is the Ability Object you are passing when you create the Ability Context, everything else stays the same.

        With regard to overriding the function of Able, the latest video (showing how to create Chain Lightning) goes over overriding a blueprint method. Or did you mean some other type of overriding?
        Able Ability System - A high performance, robust ability system for UE4. Now Available!

        Comment


          #64
          Originally posted by ExtraLifeMatt View Post
          The Shooter Game example actually shows mapping different abilities at run-time. It's very simple to do. Let's say you have 3 Inputs (using your example, Dodge, Attack, and Block) - when the Dodge Input is pressed, you would activate your dodge ability. Attack input, activate the attack ability, etc. Basically all that is changing is the Ability Object you are passing when you create the Ability Context, everything else stays the same.

          With regard to overriding the function of Able, the latest video (showing how to create Chain Lightning) goes over overriding a blueprint method. Or did you mean some other type of overriding?
          I've just saw the Shooter example and that's answered my question regarding multiple inputs, but now i have another problem. I cannot get my ability to work, although i made sure it received the input and i have the ability set up exactly of how you did on the combo tutorial. To give you more information i have noticed that my animations doesn't play if i put animation mode to anything other than Single Node.
          Also What should i include in the (State Machine Name) and (Ability state name).

          And regarding the overriding since you've uploaded a new video i will go over it and i will see it and i will ask you if anything comes up.

          Comment


            #65
            Originally posted by IronSuit View Post
            I've just saw the Shooter example and that's answered my question regarding multiple inputs, but now i have another problem. I cannot get my ability to work, although i made sure it received the input and i have the ability set up exactly of how you did on the combo tutorial. To give you more information i have noticed that my animations doesn't play if i put animation mode to anything other than Single Node.
            Also What should i include in the (State Machine Name) and (Ability state name).

            And regarding the overriding since you've uploaded a new video i will go over it and i will see it and i will ask you if anything comes up.
            Your Ability doesn't execute? Or it's simply not playing the Animation? If it doesn't execute, just check your Output log as Able will tell you why it couldn't start an Ability (No Target, On Cooldown, etc).

            You'll have to use Single Node unless you are playing a montage (in which case you should be able to use Dynamic Montage), or you setup the Ability Animation Node - which walks you through what those State Machine / Ability State names are.
            Able Ability System - A high performance, robust ability system for UE4. Now Available!

            Comment


              #66
              Originally posted by ExtraLifeMatt View Post
              Your Ability doesn't execute? Or it's simply not playing the Animation? If it doesn't execute, just check your Output log as Able will tell you why it couldn't start an Ability (No Target, On Cooldown, etc).

              You'll have to use Single Node unless you are playing a montage (in which case you should be able to use Dynamic Montage), or you setup the Ability Animation Node - which walks you through what those State Machine / Ability State names are.
              I got this "LogAble:Error: GetAbilityObjectFromClass was passed a null class. Check your parameters!"

              Comment


                #67
                Originally posted by IronSuit View Post
                I got this "LogAble:Error: GetAbilityObjectFromClass was passed a null class. Check your parameters!"
                That means you didn't pass in a valid Class (Ability) to GetAbilityObjectFromClass. There will be a dropdown on that method in the Blueprint where you can select the Ability class manually, or, if you are passing in a class ID (like I do in the shooter game example) - you'll need to make sure you expose that variable and then set it once you drop that Actor in your level.
                Able Ability System - A high performance, robust ability system for UE4. Now Available!

                Comment


                  #68
                  Originally posted by ExtraLifeMatt View Post
                  That means you didn't pass in a valid Class (Ability) to GetAbilityObjectFromClass. There will be a dropdown on that method in the Blueprint where you can select the Ability class manually, or, if you are passing in a class ID (like I do in the shooter game example) - you'll need to make sure you expose that variable and then set it once you drop that Actor in your level.
                  Ok, so i was able to get the ability to work when i setup a default class in the blueprint, but i cannot set the ability from the level editor like you did on the tutorial. any idea why?

                  Comment


                    #69
                    Originally posted by IronSuit View Post
                    Ok, so i was able to get the ability to work when i setup a default class in the blueprint, but i cannot set the ability from the level editor like you did on the tutorial. any idea why?
                    There will be a small eye icon next to the variable (by default its closed so it looks like a semi-circle). Click that. That makes it public/exposed and then you'll be able to see it and change it when you drop your actor in a level.
                    Able Ability System - A high performance, robust ability system for UE4. Now Available!

                    Comment


                      #70
                      Originally posted by ExtraLifeMatt View Post
                      There will be a small eye icon next to the variable (by default its closed so it looks like a semi-circle). Click that. That makes it public/exposed and then you'll be able to see it and change it when you drop your actor in a level.
                      I didn't explain clearly, i can change the actor's ability from the level editor because the variable is set to global. But what ever value i choose, it only execute the default value. which is in the blueprints.

                      Comment


                        #71
                        Originally posted by IronSuit View Post
                        I didn't explain clearly, i can change the actor's ability from the level editor because the variable is set to global. But what ever value i choose, it only execute the default value. which is in the blueprints.
                        Are you getting that value and passing it in to GetAbilityObjectFromClass? If you download the Shooter Game example (link is on the store page), you can see exactly how I have all this setup and where you may be missing a step.
                        Able Ability System - A high performance, robust ability system for UE4. Now Available!

                        Comment


                          #72
                          Originally posted by ExtraLifeMatt View Post
                          Are you getting that value and passing it in to GetAbilityObjectFromClass? If you download the Shooter Game example (link is on the store page), you can see exactly how I have all this setup and where you may be missing a step.
                          I do, that whats bugging me.
                          I've also checked the shooter Demo and i'm not missing anything either.

                          Btw Do you have a discord channel? so it's easier to discuss the problems?

                          Comment


                            #73
                            Originally posted by IronSuit View Post
                            I do, that whats bugging me.
                            I've also checked the shooter Demo and i'm not missing anything either.

                            Btw Do you have a discord channel? so it's easier to discuss the problems?
                            You can add me on Skype [MENTION=172958]ExtraLifeMatt[/MENTION]
                            Able Ability System - A high performance, robust ability system for UE4. Now Available!

                            Comment


                              #74
                              Originally posted by ExtraLifeMatt View Post
                              You can add me on Skype [MENTION=172958]ExtraLifeMatt[/MENTION]
                              sent you an invitation

                              Comment


                                #75
                                Update: so [MENTION=172958]ExtraLifeMatt[/MENTION] has been super helpful, and apparently the problem was from my project and not from able system.
                                Again i would like to thank [MENTION=172958]ExtraLifeMatt[/MENTION] for being helpful and patience with me.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X