Able Ability System Info and Support Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ExtraLifeMatt View Post

Hmmm, instant blends should be instant but again, I'll set something up locally and see what I can find. Again, if you have a sample project (I own Kubold's S&S set, so no worries there - or replace his animation with a simple walk/jump animation), that can help a bit.
    Sent you a link via PM

Comment

Also, is there a way to trigger a custom event during ability via BP graph? I've created an event called Test on the Timeline, added an event with the same name in BP graph and it does not trigger

Comment

So are you still having issues? Unfortunately I can't view your image, but how are you playing the animation (what mode, have you setup your Animation Blueprint properly, etc)? I've used Kubold's S&S anim set myself for some testing locally and I never ran into any TPose issues.
        Yes, sadly. Using 4.19.1 source build.

I followed your turtorial on setting up the ability animation node. I am using Epic's ThirdPersonCharacter which uses the ThirdPerson_AnimBP animation blueprint. The state machine is called "Default" (this is in the state machine name on the ability) and the node I created is called "AbilityToPlay" (which is in the Ability State Name on the ability). Animation Mode is set to "Ability Animation Node. I am using "Sword_Attack_R" animation.

When I hit play, it goes into TPose. I have to Reset Preview Asset to make it go back to idle. It does play the idle animation. I put a print strings to make sure the animation boolean is being set correctly. It is.

Your video is pretty straightforward.

Something I forgot that happened when I first created the ability, after I selected the ability parent class, I got a window popup that had a tab named "CompilerResults" and in the middle of the window in white lettering "unrecognized tab".

Update:

I did a new third person product from the launcher from the 4.19.1 binaries. I get the same results.
        Last edited by acxsasx; 05-01-2018, 10:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by acxsasx View Post

I followed your turtorial on setting up the ability animation node. I am using Epic's ThirdPersonCharacter which uses the ThirdPerson_AnimBP animation blueprint. The state machine is called "Default" (this is in the state machine name on the ability) and the node I created is called "AbilityToPlay" (which is in the Ability State Name on the ability). Animation Mode is set to "Ability Animation Node. I am using "Sword_Attack_R" animation.

When I hit play, it goes into TPose. I have to Reset Preview Asset to make it go back to idle. It does play the idle animation. I put a print strings to make sure the animation boolean is being set correctly. It is.

Something I forgot that happened when I first created the ability, after I selected the ability parent class, I got a window popup that had a tab named "CompilerResults" and in the middle of the window in white lettering "unrecognized tab".

Update:

I did a new third person product from the launcher from the 4.19.1 binaries. I get the same results.
          +1 on that, 4.19.1 release build

Comment

Update:

That sounds very much like you have your animation blueprint setup to go into the Ability State Machine, but not out of it - so it goes in plays the Ability, but then gets stuck in that state machine with no Ability to play.

See:
            https://extralifestudios.atlassian.n...ion+State+Node

Able Ability System - A high performance, robust ability system for UE4. Now Available!

Comment

Understood and that makes sense, but I do have the transition out of the state using the boolean set in the event graph.

I just opened up the project to check and it is there. I added some print strings on the Event On Ability Start and the Event On Ability End to see if they are getting called and they are. I even backtracked via the magnifying glass on the preview asset and its animation blueprint setting to make sure I was changing the right animation blueprint.

Since you can't see the images I link to the posts, I am not sure how to show you that I have it setup. Believe me, I understand your position with this kind of thing. I am a software developer by trade and I have to deal with end users on a daily basis. I have tried to be diligent to not report something that is my stupid mistake (it might still be my mistake).

I will be happy to show you via screen share or send you the files. I would post screenshots if you were able to send them.

Comment

Understood and that makes sense, but I do have the transition out of the state using the boolean set in the event graph.

I just opened up the project to check and it is there. I added some print strings on the Event On Ability Start and the Event On Ability End to see if they are getting called and they are. I even backtracked via the magnifying glass on the preview asset and its animation blueprint setting to make sure I was changing the right animation blueprint.

Since you can't see the images I link to the posts, I am not sure how to show you that I have it setup. Believe me, I understand your position with this kind of thing. I am a software developer by trade and I have to deal with end users on a daily basis. I have tried to be diligent to not report something that is my stupid mistake (it might still be my mistake).

I will be happy to show you via screen share or send you the files. I would post screenshots if you were able to send them.
                It's not the Ability blueprint you should be debugging (you don't need to call anything for the Ability Animation Node to work assuming all the fields are properly filled out), it should just be the Animation Blueprint. Do you have screenshot of that? Specifically the Animation State Machine you have setup.

I can view attachments again, so it looks like it was just some weird backend stuff on Epic's end.
                Able Ability System - A high performance, robust ability system for UE4. Now Available!

Comment

Preview and play rate is broken https://youtu.be/-kytIHb5yGw

Comment

Originally posted by Roland_Price View Post
                    Preview and play rate is broken https://youtu.be/-kytIHb5yGw
                    I'll add it to my list.

Comment

I went ahead and made a quick video showing it. https://youtu.be/-TNSK13nWuw

Comment

I went ahead and made a quick video showing it. https://youtu.be/-TNSK13nWuw
                        That so much looks like your animation blueprint isn't properly feeding in the data. How are you populating the "Is Ability Animation?" field?

Comment

That so much looks like your animation blueprint isn't properly feeding in the data. How are you populating the "Is Ability Animation?" field?
                          I understand. Here it is.

https://youtu.be/1WQ8ZXysCH8

Comment

I understand. Here it is.

https://youtu.be/1WQ8ZXysCH8
                            Yea, so it is getting stuck in the Ability Node State Machine.

Try adding an extra check to your Animation Blueprint to check for "Is Playing Ability" before you set that boolean. So the logic would read like "If (HasAbilityAnimation AND IsPlayingAbility) HasAbilityAnimation? = true, else false"

Comment

Yea, so it is getting stuck in the Ability Node State Machine.

Try adding an extra check to your Animation Blueprint to check for "Is Playing Ability" before you set that boolean. So the logic would read like "If (HasAbilityAnimation AND IsPlayingAbility) HasAbilityAnimation? = true, else false"
                              That addresses the stuck pose which I appreciate but is not the main goal I had. The problem I am trying to solve is playing the animation specified. The TPose is still being shown.

Comment

That addresses the stuck pose which I appreciate but is not the main goal I had. The problem I am trying to solve is playing the animation specified. The TPose is still being shown.
                                Ok...so I decided to try the third person run animation. It works. I had glitches until I hit "Reset Preview Asset".

So it must be something with the animation from SnS that it is not liking...

Comment

Working...
                                X