No announcement yet.

Able Ability System Info and Support Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Odd. The problem fixed itself after restarting Unreal.

Comment

2 problems:
      1- the ue 4.18 stock engine crashes when ability is using sweep cone 3d query 2d doesn't crash.
      2 - quite big. when using dynamic montage as part of ability when the ability ends, no matter what the blend time is in montage or in ability it blends until certain point and then it just TEAR and isntantly jumps into animgraph. when im using anim montage directly they work juat fine. when using tchem as part of ABLE they just break a little. any idea on a fix for that one? also at end of montage it rotates me toward control rotation. not smoothly as my animgraph and setup should.. just teleporting to the rotation.

Comment

Originally posted by AngeIV View Post
        2 problems:
        1- the ue 4.18 stock engine crashes when ability is using sweep cone 3d query 2d doesn't crash.
        2 - quite big. when using dynamic montage as part of ability when the ability ends, no matter what the blend time is in montage or in ability it blends until certain point and then it just TEAR and isntantly jumps into animgraph. when im using anim montage directly they work juat fine. when using tchem as part of ABLE they just break a little. any idea on a fix for that one? also at end of montage it rotates me toward control rotation. not smoothly as my animgraph and setup should.. just teleporting to the rotation.
        Weird... Not sure why 3D wouldn't work... The only difference between the two is a bit more math. But I'll check it out.

Dynamic montages are weird - they're effectively "Fire and Forget", I really suggest you use the Ability Animation Node if you can as it gives you far more control and will automatically blend between ability animations.
        Able Ability System - A high performance, robust ability system for UE4. Now Available!

Comment

Able is causing my project to crash when I test it in a standalone window.
          https://pastebin.com/mMzcbFz5
          Last edited by Menelin; 01-28-2018, 04:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Menelin View Post
            Able is causing my project to crash when I test it in a standalone window.
            https://pastebin.com/mMzcbFz5
            See this post on how to fix that (requires Engine source):

https://forums.unrealengine.com/unre...53#post1411553
            Able Ability System - A high performance, robust ability system for UE4. Now Available!

Comment

Do you plan on adding more tutorial videos? the last one was May. Just wondering.

Comment

Originally posted by riuthamus View Post
                Do you plan on adding more tutorial videos? the last one was May. Just wondering.
                I do them when I get a particularly good (or frequent) question, or random inspiration. So, maybe?

EDIT: Is there a tutorial you were hoping for? I'm always open to ideas.
                Last edited by ExtraLifeMatt; 01-28-2018, 09:00 PM.

Comment

ExtraLifeMatt, mostly just wanted to see how active you were with the plugin, this post secured a purchase from us! <3 I will let you know if we need any help. Excited to use this for our project. The plugin itself looks top quality and the visual editor must have taken forever. A+ man.

Comment

I'm glad my problem with testing multiplayer wasn't an isolated situation. Where would I find BlueprintEditorUtils.cpp to add the code?

Comment

Originally posted by riuthamus View Post
                      ExtraLifeMatt, mostly just wanted to see how active you were with the plugin, this post secured a purchase from us! <3 I will let you know if we need any help. Excited to use this for our project. The plugin itself looks top quality and the visual editor must have taken forever. A+ man.
                      Oh yea, I'm very active with it. Trying to focus more on bugs and QoL stuff lately. But I'm always answering emails / posting in here. I also use it in my own projects, so it gets lots of use and hopefully gets more stable / more fully featured each release. There's also a few big name studios using it for prototyping / jump starting their own tech - so hopefully I'll be able to share more about that soon.
                      Originally posted by Menelin View Post
                      I'm glad my problem with testing multiplayer wasn't an isolated situation. Where would I find BlueprintEditorUtils.cpp to add the code?
                      You have to build the Engine from Source to find that file, but then it'll be under: Engine\Source\Editor\UnrealEd\Private\Kismet2

My hope is to get that fix in an release of UE4 so you don't have to manually add that line, but I need to figure out why nullptrs are getting into the Blueprint Graph at that stage and why Able seems so good at causing it.

Comment

Ok so I have a couple questions. First what's the difference between a collision query and a collision sweep and what's a good time to use one versus the other? Is there a way you prioritize a certain branch condition over others, such as if I have an ability that has multiple branches tied to different buttons and I want to make sure that if the user presses two buttons simultaneously then only the one with priority executes. There was a third one but I forgot so I'll ask later.

Comment

Originally posted by Kuro_Dev View Post
                          Ok so I have a couple questions. First what's the difference between a collision query and a collision sweep and what's a good time to use one versus the other? Is there a way you prioritize a certain branch condition over others, such as if I have an ability that has multiple branches tied to different buttons and I want to make sure that if the user presses two buttons simultaneously then only the one with priority executes. There was a third one but I forgot so I'll ask later.
                          A Query checks a single location. A Sweep checks along a linear path.

Branch conditions are executed in order by time, so in theory, you could just order them using really small values (0.00001) to prioritize which ones you want to execute first.

Comment

I remembered my other question. So I have this mine actor that plays an explosion ability when the player runs over it. The issue I'm running into is that it is damaging the player twice. I have it set to read out exploded when the ability plays and the player is set to read out how much damage is being received. I'm getting one exploded message but two received damage messages.

Comment

Originally posted by Kuro_Dev View Post
                              I remembered my other question. So I have this mine actor that plays an explosion ability when the player runs over it. The issue I'm running into is that it is damaging the player twice. I have it set to read out exploded when the ability plays and the player is set to read out how much damage is being received. I'm getting one exploded message but two received damage messages.
                              You could check and make sure your query isn't somehow picking up the same actor twice, for example if your player has multiple collision volumes on him. Turning on "Verbose" for the Collision Query/Sweep should tell you exactly what actor was picked up and why.

Comment

Originally posted by ExtraLifeMatt View Post

You have to build the Engine from Source to find that file, but then it'll be under: Engine\Source\Editor\UnrealEd\Private\Kismet2
                                I'm seeing many different tutorials on how to build the engine from source. Do you know of one that would be best for what we're trying to do here?

Comment

Working...
                                X