Able Ability System Info and Support Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ExtraLifeMatt View Post

What did that fix for you? If you're already in AnimationBlueprint mode, then setting it again shouldn't do anything. Basically the check you added is in the SetAnimationMode method anyway.

Also, I purposely didn't add an IsEnabled option because I've worked with similar systems and you end up with large amounts of disabled Tasks because Designers will see no benefit to deleting the task ("Well, maybe I'll use it again some day?"). Which means you have just useless data you are iterating through every time you go to launch an Ability which is just wasted time. I opted for forcing deleting so that Abilities were clean and as lean as possible.
    Before SetAnimationMode we must check state, because it will call InitializeAnimScriptInstance in SetAnimationMode function, and this will let our combo animation not very smooth.[UE4.18]

Comment

Spoiler

Hey,

because of some Multiplayer setting I've got to test my project in Standalone but I'm getting pretty much the same Problem as "CrimsonWingzz" had.
      I've tried some things without greater results.
      My Log including my Abilitys made with AbleEditor:

Spoiler

After that I simply just deleted my selfmade Abilitys Folder to check if it works..and yeah it starts in Standalone
      with the following Log (which I think are mostly because of the now missing references):

Spoiler

Back then you answered, that the Version could be the problem. Could it be that switchting to newer Versions with my Project got me this error.
      Right now I'm running UE4 4.18.2 and the newest MP Version of AbleAbilitySystems.

I'm grateful for every tip and help.

Comment

George.Xiao not sure I follow, but I'll check your change out.
        Knaarke So that crash is due to some funkiness when recompiling the Blueprint that causes nullptrs in the Blueprint Graphs when the game launches in standalone via the Editor. It's a one line fix (I've reported it to Epic a few weeks back - but then the Holidays hit), so if you don't mind editing Engine code - I can give you the fix.

Able Ability System - A high performance, robust ability system for UE4. Now Available!

Comment

Knaarke So that crash is due to some funkiness when recompiling the Blueprint that causes nullptrs in the Blueprint Graphs when the game launches in standalone via the Editor. It's a one line fix (I've reported it to Epic a few weeks back - but then the Holidays hit), so if you don't mind editing Engine code - I can give you the fix.
          Thanks for the fast reply. I'll be out until end of next week. If its not done by then I'll come back to your offer.

Comment

Play Animation Node,i set this Play Rate from 1.0 to 2.0,but this Timing End Time contrary,it elongate! This change it from 2 to 4,Right should 2 to 1.
            Another,i set Animation Mode "Ability Animation Node' ,and i set "loop" is ture,but this Animation always play once.I make sure i set true Machine Name and Ability State Name.

Comment

Originally posted by shadowkami View Post
              Play Animation Node,i set this Play Rate from 1.0 to 2.0,but this Timing End Time contrary,it elongate! This change it from 2 to 4,Right should 2 to 1.
              Another,i set Animation Mode "Ability Animation Node' ,and i set "loop" is ture,but this Animation always play once.I make sure i set true Machine Name and Ability State Name.
              That may just be a display issue, I'll verify.

The loop portion should work, but I'll double check things.
              Able Ability System - A high performance, robust ability system for UE4. Now Available!

Comment

Hello,
                Many people want the "Move To" task, so do i, and you said it is a little hard. So, I give you a suggest, you can reference "GameplayAbilities" plugin created by Epic Game, like picture below. Hope you can do it, if you don't i must to do by myself. Very thanks!
                Click image for larger version

Name:	20180107134553.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	75.2 KB
ID:	1409150

Comment

Originally posted by George.Xiao View Post
                  Hello,
                  Many people want the "Move To" task, so do i, and you said it is a little hard. So, I give you a suggest, you can reference "GameplayAbilities" plugin created by Epic Game, like picture below. Hope you can do it, if you don't i must to do by myself. Very thanks!
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	20180107134553.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	75.2 KB
ID:	1409150
                  Yea most of those are designed with Paragon in mind. The issue is making it more genre agnostic.

- Does your game need to do a jump? If so, what happens if you hit an obstacle mid height? Do you stop, or just clip through it?
                  - Do you need to query some other system for the mouse location? Or is it simply based on Targeting?
                  - Do you want the user to be able to target a ground location and possibly cancel out? Does your system need to draw a special decal while picking that location?
                  - Does the system need to use the Nav mesh (RTS/MOBA)? Or do you go purely physics (Action/FPS)?

I've made multiple local versions, but none of them I was very happy with. It's honestly one of the Tasks that I think you probably should write yourself. But, maybe I'll just break them up into various Genres or behaviors and let people select which they want rather than trying to make them so generic.

Comment

Yea most of those are designed with Paragon in mind. The issue is making it more genre agnostic.

- Does your game need to do a jump? If so, what happens if you hit an obstacle mid height? Do you stop, or just clip through it?
                    - Do you need to query some other system for the mouse location? Or is it simply based on Targeting?
                    - Do you want the user to be able to target a ground location and possibly cancel out? Does your system need to draw a special decal while picking that location?
                    - Does the system need to use the Nav mesh (RTS/MOBA)? Or do you go purely physics (Action/FPS)?

I've made multiple local versions, but none of them I was very happy with. It's honestly one of the Tasks that I think you probably should write yourself. But, maybe I'll just break them up into various Genres or behaviors and let people select which they want rather than trying to make them so generic.
                    First, I answer your question, we create a game just like Paragon.
                    - Yes, i need jump to location or jump to actor, if hit obstacle it will stop, just like AddMovementInput node in CharacterMovement, I have test it in my local space.
                    - No, i don't, it just based on Targeting.
                    - Yes, i need a decal show on that location, and user can cancel.
                    - My game is purely physics to player, but AI using Nav mesh.
                    So, if you have multiple versions, you can let us select, we will be very pleased.

Comment

Originally posted by George.Xiao View Post

First, I answer your question, we create a game just like Paragon.
                      - Yes, i need jump to location or jump to actor, if hit obstacle it will stop, just like AddMovementInput node in CharacterMovement, I have test it in my local space.
                      - No, i don't, it just based on Targeting.
                      - Yes, i need a decal show on that location, and user can cancel.
                      - My game is purely physics to player, but AI using Nav mesh.
                      So, if you have multiple versions, you can let us select, we will be very pleased.
                      For something like that, I would definitely make your own. You know your game best so you can write a Task for it that fits it. Able provides a very easy API to add Tasks. You can take a look at some of the simpler Tasks (like ablPlayParticleEffect ) and just fill in what you need.

I get emails from people using Able for ARPGs, Turn Based RPGs, MMORPGs, Fighting Games, FPS, Third Person Games, Platformers, and MOBAs. I try to make sure whatever I add, brings value to all genres and not end up going down the rabbit hole of adding features for just one genre.

Comment

How can i play a TrailData particle?

Comment

I play a particle in able class,and I set Ability Properties "Loop" is true,when I cancel this ability node,the Client's particle destroy,but the server is not.
                          I deselect the "loop",there are destroy true.

Comment

Hey so I'm trying to create a parry system for some of the abilities. The idea is that, if an enemy is attacking, if my parry bool is set to true, then the collision query from their attack should branch into a stagger ability, instead of go all the way through.
                            I can't seem to understand how custom branch conditions are used at all. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
                            Also, maybe using branching isn't the right method? Maybe I should cancel the ability and run some check in the NPC logic?
                            Last edited by Ubersoldat42; 01-08-2018, 07:41 AM.

Comment

How can i play a TrailData particle?
                              I'm not sure what a TrailData particle is? That may be specifically for the Weapon Trails system that uses Anim Notifies - which you would put in your Animation itself, not within Able.
                              I play a particle in able class,and I set Ability Properties "Loop" is true,when I cancel this ability node,the Client's particle destroy,but the server is not.
                              I deselect the "loop",there are destroy true.
                              Particles should never play on the server, or are you talking about a Listen server? I'm not sure why looping would change anything, Able simply passes all that info to the Particle system. You may want to check and make sure your Particle is setup properly.
                              Originally posted by Ubersoldat42 View Post
                              Hey so I'm trying to create a parry system for some of the abilities. The idea is that, if an enemy is attacking, if my parry bool is set to true, then the collision query from their attack should branch into a stagger ability, instead of go all the way through.
                              I can't seem to understand how custom branch conditions are used at all. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
                              Also, maybe using branching isn't the right method? Maybe I should cancel the ability and run some check in the NPC logic?
                              You could use a Branch for that (Add a Custom Branch condition that just checks for the parry bool and set your parry Ability as the Branch Ability). Or try your second approach where on your Player, when damage is dealt, if you are parrying - don't apply the damage, but instead call some "OnParried" Ability on your NPC that just cancels the current Ability and instead plays the staggered Ability.

Personally I think the 2nd approach is a bit more flexible and what I would likely go with.

Comment

But, maybe I'll just break them up into various Genres or behaviors and let people select which they want rather than trying to make them so generic.
                                I would love this actually! O_O

Comment

Working...
                                X