Able Ability System Info and Support Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ExtraLifeMatt View Post
    So the plan this weekend is to do a video covering a simple combo Ability. That seems to be a fairly common question. Let me know if there is anything else you'd like to see and I'll add it to my list
    Branching combos. And charge attacks (holding down the input, before it auto releases)

Charging an attack (holding down the input for x amount of time) mid-combo to branch to a more powerful version of it.

On the input side of things, I have the events triggering taken care of via a combo system from the marketplace, but I want to see how this all would tie into the task system, animations, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Aumaan Anubis View Post
      Branching combos. And charge attacks (holding down the input, before it auto releases)

Charging an attack (holding down the input for x amount of time) mid-combo to branch to a more powerful version of it.

On the input side of things, I have the events triggering taken care of via a combo system from the marketplace, but I want to see how this all would tie into the task system, animations, etc.
      Hmm, I'll see if I have any animations that could work for a charge up.

To do a charge up you simply create a "Charge up" ability that plays your animation (and loops the last 0.25 seconds or what not if you want the player to be able to hold the charge indefinitely) - then when that Ability ends (e.g., OnAbilityFinished) you queue up the appropriate Ability (Light/Med/Heavy) based on how far along the charge ability got (which you can query from the Blueprint). I'll see if I can do an example.
      Able Ability System - A high performance, robust ability system for UE4. Now Available!

Comment

I really like the ability designer! That's super cool!

I noticed a lot of instances where you were just entering numbers into fields for different properties. One thing the UE's GameplayAbilities framework had was a data driven Attribute system. Any plans on creating something like that?

Comment

Originally posted by RoyAwesome View Post
          I really like the ability designer! That's super cool!

I noticed a lot of instances where you were just entering numbers into fields for different properties. One thing the UE's GameplayAbilities framework had was a data driven Attribute system. Any plans on creating something like that?
          You can data drive things like Damage calculations, collision filter logic, Ability condition logic, branch condition logic, Cooldown times (once the next update hits), and Max stacks in Able. It's just not necessary if you don't want it.

I actually touch on this in the new community video, the next video I may do a deeper dive into that part of the system:

EDIT: Video moved to top post.
          Last edited by ExtraLifeMatt; 04-16-2017, 08:04 PM.
          Able Ability System - A high performance, robust ability system for UE4. Now Available!

Comment

Hey, I just watched the video! Great upload!!! Seriously, I didn't think branching would be so simple (I knew it would be easy, but it's like REALLY easy).

Thanks for uploading, I look forward to your next one

Comment

Hey, I just watched the video! Great upload!!! Seriously, I didn't think branching would be so simple (I knew it would be easy, but it's like REALLY easy).

Thanks for uploading, I look forward to your next one
              Thanks Yea, it's stupid easy and pretty powerful.

BTW, I didn't forget about your request do to a charged Ability video. I just need to find the right assets since that's something you normally have custom animations for. I might do a simple top down shooter example and combine that with something like the data driven systems. Still thinking on it.

Version 1.2 Notes (submitted to Epic, should be released later in the week).
              - Ability cooldown can be data driven at runtime by overriding the GetCooldown method (which by default just returns the hardcoded BaseCooldown value). The v1.0-1.1 GetCooldown method is now called GetBaseCooldown.
              - Tasks now have a Verbose option which will print info to the log (and optionally to the screen). This option (and logic) is automatically stripped for Shipping builds.
              - Various settings have been added to allow adjusting the behavior of the Verbose output (you can find them in your Able Plugin settings).
              - There is now a "Custom" Targeting option which will call into the Ability's FindTargets(...) Blueprint method which you can use to populate Targets using your own logic (or copy results from your own targeting system into Able).
              - Removed a debug warning statement in the Play Montage call.
              - Fixed an issue with dependencies and non-looping tasks not getting executed properly.
              - More non-unity build fixes due to missing headers.
              Last edited by ExtraLifeMatt; 04-02-2017, 05:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ExtraLifeMatt View Post
                BTW, I didn't forget about your request do to a charged Ability video. I just need to find the right assets since that's something you normally have custom animations for. I might do a simple top down shooter example and combine that with something like the data driven systems. Still thinking on it.
                There's an easy way to B.S a animation for it.

- Just duplicate one of the strike animations and open it in persona,
                - go to the frames when he's pulling back his weapon before the strike,
                - then delete all the frames after that pose, and all the previous frames (leaving yourself maybe 5 frames to loop),

so you just have a looping animation of him shaking as he holds his weapon back.

It won't be clean, but it will get the idea across.

Comment

Small note. V1.2 now has a custom targeting mode for you to pass your own set of targets into Able. This came as a feature request from someone who wanted to hook their own Targeting system into Able.

There's an easy way to B.S a animation for it.

- Just duplicate one of the strike animations and open it in persona,
                  - go to the frames when he's pulling back his weapon before the strike,
                  - then delete all the frames after that pose, and all the previous frames (leaving yourself maybe 5 frames to loop),

so you just have a looping animation of him shaking as he holds his weapon back.

It won't be clean, but it will get the idea across.
                  Ahh, I haven't played with Persona too much so I didn't know you could make animations with it. My programmer art is terrible, so I tend to avoid trying to make assets myself - but I'll see what I can do.

Comment

Updated all the documentation for V1.2, you can read about the new Verbose option here.

Comment

v1.2 is now live! As always, please let me know if you run into any issues.

Comment

If you have a moment today, I'd greatly appreciate your vote in this months Community Interest Poll!

Comment

Woo! Second place on the community interest poll. Thanks for all your votes and support! I'm working on a damage video which I hope to have out soon-ish (probably this weekend).

Comment

Happy Easter!

Newest video is up!

Comment

Just a heads up that Able is Featured today due to winning 2nd in the March Community Interest poll. Thanks again for your votes!

Comment

Version 1.3 has been submitted to Epic!

Notes below:
                                • Targets can now be copied when branching to a new Ability (Customer Request, keep them coming!)
                                • Able Ability Icon no longer shows the default Blueprint Icon when selecting it from the asset context menu in the editor.
                                • Fixed an issue where Branch Ability wouldn't properly print out it's execution in Verbose mode if it immediately succeeded.
                                • More non-unity build fixes.

Comment

Working...
                                X