Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    Thanks for your fast reply

Yes, ive figure out that after all your update your UI may have changed.

Maybe some new tutorial is a good idea too.

You should let us download your TPersoncharacter template too

Thanks for your time updating all this... ive bough your product last weekend... and to be honest its a nightmare to follow tutorial that shows a different UI... hard to figure out what we do wrong when we dont get what you get on your video lol

For instance, your "creating a simple ability tutorial"... you dont have the same prompt on the screen.

I remember switching the version of the engine to your template...(right click on project file). maybe i should have open it normally and let UE4 recompile as im usually doing when dealing with outdated/new engine version plugins.

Just a reminder that i do think your optimization alone worth every penny of your product... but its really hard to find tutorial or other people making video using your product and searching for able ability give a lot of tutorial regarding the builtin ability system of UE4 ..not yours...

having your own discord will help having a community helping each other and saving you time. (if you are not familiar with discord, i can help you administrating it).
    Last edited by hexadecimalentertainment; 06-10-2019, 02:28 PM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Woody_PL View Post
    Hi guys, I have such an error when I try to compile able blueprint ability. I added to Inputs Abl Ability Context variable (but I can not set visibility as with other variables if it is the case). Should I give references to "self" somewhere else, eg. in Player Character? Anyone can help?
    The Context is const (read-only) in most callbacks, so yea, you need to make sure any methods you are calling are also const, or store the information on another object (like the Player Character as you suggested).

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by hexadecimalentertainment View Post
    1- You should create a discord for this awesome product

2-In your downloadable project, when I press play, it said machinegun has compile error. skipping it fix it.

3-Each time I open one of your 2 ability, it ask for a preview asset (I put firstcharacter bp) and a second empty screen (with no indication what it used for) is displayed after selecting the preview asset.
    Regardless of the asset I select, the ability editor preview is empty.

4- machine gun has no sfx played.

Im trying to get familiar with your product using your demo project.
    Yea, those projects are fairly out of date(4.16?). I need to just re-compile them against the latest.

The Ability Editor Preview Asset flow changed in 3.0, you need to add the classes you want to use for your Preview Asset to the Able Editor Settings under "Preview Asset Allowed Classes". Then you can just use the drop down next to the Preview Asset on the Toolbar and select the asset you want to use.

There should be no sound effects in the Machine Gun asset (or at least I don't recall hooking it up). Again, I just need to do a pass on the examples real quick and update them. I'll try and knock that out sometime this week.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    1- You should create a discord for this awesome product

2-In your downloadable project, when I press play, it said machinegun has compile error. skipping it fix it.

3-Each time I open one of your 2 ability, it ask for a preview asset (I put firstcharacter bp) and a second empty screen (with no indication what it used for) is displayed after selecting the preview asset.
    Regardless of the asset I select, the ability editor preview is empty.

4- machine gun has no sfx played.

Im trying to get familiar with your product using your demo project.

Leave a comment:

• replied

Hi guys, I have such an error when I try to compile able blueprint ability. I added to Inputs Abl Ability Context variable (but I can not set visibility as with other variables if it is the case). Should I give references to "self" somewhere else, eg. in Player Character? Anyone can help?
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by TVwj View Post
    In your "Example 5 - Burning Man", you override the "calculate damage for actor function" and set the target mannequin's "damaged by ability" variable to the ability.
    Is there a way to do this for an unknown target actor? Or is it just easier to make children of a single parent actor or something similar?
    You could make an interface or some such for the actor. In my projects I tend to have a base class that all my enemies / players inherit from (MyGameCharacter) which has some basic fields and such (Tags, OnHit calls, etc). You could do something similar.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    In your "Example 5 - Burning Man", you override the "calculate damage for actor function" and set the target mannequin's "damaged by ability" variable to the ability.
    Is there a way to do this for an unknown target actor? Or is it just easier to make children of a single parent actor or something similar?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by intoxicat3 View Post
    Feature request: Please let us change EndTime for PlayAnimation node. For example we can use some notifies to change play rate etc
    Why not just add support for changing the play rate instead? Or maybe just query if the animation asset is still playing.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Feature request: Please let us change EndTime for PlayAnimation node. For example we can use some notifies to change play rate etc

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Yea I can but then I won't be able to show cooldown in my UI without adding and changing some things We did something similar in our action system: just pickup class which is responsible for handling cooldown. You can then create what you want and it's more generic. Of course default can be yours time based cooldowns.

Another example is that some games will start cooldown at action end, and some at beginning, custom class will allow everything.

Really hope you will improve Able as It's currently the best action system @ Marketplace for me.
    I'll keep improving it as long as the feedback keeps coming in.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Yea I can but then I won't be able to show cooldown in my UI without adding and changing some things We did something similar in our action system: just pickup class which is responsible for handling cooldown. You can then create what you want and it's more generic. Of course default can be yours time based cooldowns.

Another example is that some games will start cooldown at action end, and some at beginning, custom class will allow everything.

Really hope you will improve Able as It's currently the best action system @ Marketplace for me.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    hope you will add it

Another idea you could consider for cooldowns: custom class that is managing how cooldown is handled. For example I would like to reuse ability after 50 enemy hits or after moving from one spot to another. Currently only time cooldown is supported as far I can know.
    You could do that with the CanAbilityExecute logic (and just avoid Cooldown entirely). Although I agree that the cooldown concept could be abstracted a bit more to make it more flexible (rather than inherently just time).

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I don't currently have a dynamic animation-only play rate (although I could add that easily now).
    hope you will add it

Another idea you could consider for cooldowns: custom class that is managing how cooldown is handled. For example I would like to reuse ability after 50 enemy hits or after moving from one spot to another. Currently only time cooldown is supported as far I can know.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    hmn I think you should try to create fully game or game jam using Able you will then see a lot of things that can be exposed. Just try to be modular, don't create ability for each custom thing as lot of things can be done without adding another abilities. I think your architecture could be more opened to BPs, that's all. Faster to work then.

And I found issue with Play Animation node and Ability Play Rate. When your animation use Dynamic Montage it won't use GetPlayRate from BP just GetBasePlayRate() from CPP which always will be 1.

Really love your plugin don't get me wrong but still I think you should invest more time and try to create full game using it.
    I'll look at adding a way to get the context for an Ability (which you can get the running tasks on). There's definitely a balance to be had between exposure to BPs and not letting the user shoot themselves in the foot.

Do you have the Scale With Ability Play Rate turned on? That will call the dynamic binding for the Play Rate (hit the + next to the Play Rate on the Ability and create a binding there). There was a bug with Ability Dynamic Fields not binding at runtime, but if you have the latest that was fixed in 3.1.

I do use Able for my own games (that's where it started actually), but people use it in ways I don't (for example, your Task conditions you added) so I'm always interested to see the feedback. I tend to make lots of discrete Abilities that do one small thing and exit, but others create "Uber Abilities" that drive tons of stuff. Both are valid approaches, just different styles.

EDIT: To be clear, Play Rate is the Ability Play rate. I don't currently have a dynamic animation-only play rate (although I could add that easily now).
    Last edited by ExtraLifeMatt; 05-20-2019, 12:28 PM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    hmn I think you should try to create fully game or game jam using Able you will then see a lot of things that can be exposed. Just try to be modular, don't create ability for each custom thing as lot of things can be done without adding another abilities. I think your architecture could be more opened to BPs, that's all. Faster to work then.

And I found issue with Play Animation node and Ability Play Rate. When your animation use Dynamic Montage it won't use GetPlayRate from BP just GetBasePlayRate() from CPP which always will be 1.

Really love your plugin don't get me wrong but still I think you should invest more time and try to create full game using it.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X