Able Ability System Info and Support Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Able v1.6 has been submitted to Epic:

- Fixed a crash that can be caused by selecting a non-Ability blueprint in the Get Ability Object From Class method.
    - Fixed an issue where looping would improperly end/reset Tasks outside of the loop range.
    - Fixed an issue where Animation Blending could get stomped if the Animation Node's Initialization method was called multiple times before a blend finished.
    - Fixed an issue where internal CRCs could be incorrectly calculated (leading to issues where various systems like Cooldowns and Branching broke).

[MENTION=33476]Aumaan Anubis[/MENTION], Regarding the Ability Animation Node supporting blending in from the character's current pose - I actually had some code written for this, but in my testing - the Animation Blend nodes (which are already available) seemed to do exactly what I was doing but without a ton of complexity. I kept running into nasty edge cases since I was trying to manage all of that state internally. I'd have completely given up on adding that feature, but for the moment - I would suggest looking into the Blend Animation Nodes and trying to structure your Animation State machine in a way that you can setup the blend that way.

I also looked into the customizing the Branch Conditions display name and they ARE setup properly internally - so I'm still trying to figure out if this is just a bug in UE, or if I really do need to write customized property viewers.
    Able Ability System - A high performance, robust ability system for UE4. Now Available!

Comment

[MENTION=172958]ExtraLifeMatt[/MENTION]

Thanks for looking into it though, at least there's a workaround. Thanks for posting it, I'll make the changes to my statemachine.
      I'm looking forward to v1.6.

Thanks again

Comment

Just a bump to let people know that things are probably a bit busy at Epic due to E3 shenanigans, so hopefully v1.6 will be out soon.
        Able Ability System - A high performance, robust ability system for UE4. Now Available!

Comment

@ExtraLifeMatt

Just a quick update, you said you weren't sure why the internal CRC's were coming up the same, and in case you weren't handling this already, I'm pretty confident it happens when duplicating abilities. (Even if the name's are different)

Comment

Originally posted by Hitsugen View Post
            @ExtraLifeMatt

Just a quick update, you said you weren't sure why the internal CRC's were coming up the same, and in case you weren't handling this already, I'm pretty confident it happens when duplicating abilities. (Even if the name's are different)
            Yea, it's an order of operations thing / race case it seems. Moving the CRC generation to PostLoad instead of in the constructor (which happens before data is actually loaded for a class) fixes it which is in 1.6.

Comment

Version 1.6 is now live. Enjoy!

Comment

I'm experiencing an issue with the newest version, the animation no longer resets to the beginning after the ability is canceled.

In earlier versions, if something cancels the ability, then the next time the ability plays it will restart the animation from the beginning (expected behavior)
                Now it holds onto the last frame and blends into that instead restarting the animation.

My BP and ability set-up hasn't changed from the screenshots I posted earlier.

Comment

Originally posted by Aumaan Anubis View Post

I'm experiencing an issue with the newest version, the animation no longer resets to the beginning after the ability is canceled.

In earlier versions, if something cancels the ability, then the next time the ability plays it will restart the animation from the beginning (expected behavior)
                  Now it holds onto the last frame and blends into that instead restarting the animation.

My BP and ability set-up hasn't changed from the screenshots I posted earlier.
                  Hmmm... I did have a small change in the animation blending code. I'll look into this and possibly revert that change. Thanks, Aumaan.

Comment

[MENTION=172958]ExtraLifeMatt[/MENTION] please don't remove the new blending feature though, I like that part of it xD

It's just that the animations once interrupted by a "cancel ability node", never restart from the beginning as they should.

Comment

Originally posted by Aumaan Anubis View Post
                      [MENTION=172958]ExtraLifeMatt[/MENTION] please don't remove the new blending feature though, I like that part of it xD

It's just that the animations once interrupted by a "cancel ability node", never restart from the beginning as they should.
                      For reference, that change was meant to make sure the animation completed blending before swapping to the next animation. But yes, cancel/interrupt would want a hard stop. I'll add some logic for the specific case, probably have it as an option you can enable/disable.

Comment

Thank you so much!
                        I wish I could leave another 5 star review just on the support alone xD

Seriously though I really feel like I got above and beyond my moneys worth with this one, keep up the good work!

Comment

Alright, so if you are using 4.16, there is currently a bug with Default Spawned Event Nodes causing crashes when called from the CDO (which Able relies on to keep memory down).

Here's the Bug reference.

The work around is to simply turn off Default Spawned Event Nodes (Open up the Blueprint Editor, View -> Editor Preferences, Uncheck Spawn Default Event Nodes). Unfortunately you'll have to re-create any Abilities that you used before hand until this bug is fixed (which will hopefully be soon).

Comment

Ohhh, that's unfortunate

Thanks for the heads up though.

Comment

Hi! Just downloaded the plugin yesterday and it's great.

I'm wondering if you could help with a design question. I'm working on a game that's heavily based on a weapon and combo system that I think this will really help with but I'm not sure of the best way to structure everything. Here's an example:

One of the weapons fires a projectile. If 2 of these projectiles collide, they combine to make a larger, faster projectile heading in the direction of the projectile that was fired first. My initial design is:
                              1. Pawn has Action ability that fires a projectile
                              2. Projectile has passive ability that checks for collision with other projectile and branches to 3.
                              3. Action ability that spawns new projectile

Does this sound like a good idea? I'm not sure how to destroy the original 2 projectiles, is there a task that would do this? Or should I make a hook in blueprint?

Comment

Hey [MENTION=172958]ExtraLifeMatt[/MENTION]

I'm trying to create a new task that extends your ability task.
                                The goal is to create a new "variable branch task", that has the m_BranchAbility defined at runtime through another function that can be defined in blueprints.

I've run into a wall since everything is a const function so I can't perform any assignments to m_BranchAbility.
                                Is there perhaps a way I can work-around this?

Comment

Working...
                                X