X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Aumaan Anubis View Post
    [MENTION=172958]ExtraLifeMatt[/MENTION]
    Cool, thanks

Oh, and what about the task properties under "Branch", I want to use "custom" in the "conditions" section, however there is nothing to define after selecting "custom". Is that intended?
    If so, what "custom event" logic is it assuming, I thought this could be user defined before?
    There is a method called CustomCanBranchTo you can override that is called by that option.
    Able Ability System - A high performance, robust ability system for UE4. Now Available!

Comment

Originally posted by ExtraLifeMatt View Post
      There is a method called CustomCanBranchTo you can override that is called by that option.
      AH! Ok that explains it

Comment

Ok, new problem.

I can't open my file anymore, it crashes when loading up to 94-96%

There were no issues when I saved it yesterday, other than the able editor forgetting what preview mesh I has selected (it was blank instead of showing my character, but I could use the editor just fine otherwise so I didn't re-select it and just continued working).
        But to be honest I have no way of knowing if this had anything to do with Able, I got no errors when I saved everything and closed, but I can't open the file anymore :/

I even created a new project, and copied the content folder of my previous project into the new one, and the now new project fails to open too.

Comment

Ok, new problem.

I can't open my file anymore, it crashes when loading up to 94-96%

There were no issues when I saved it yesterday, other than the able editor forgetting what preview mesh I has selected (it was blank instead of showing my character, but I could use the editor just fine otherwise so I didn't re-select it and just continued working).
          But to be honest I have no way of knowing if this had anything to do with Able, I got no errors when I saved everything and closed, but I can't open the file anymore :/

I even created a new project, and copied the content folder of my previous project into the new one, and the now new project fails to open too.
          I'd need to see the call stack to know what the crash had to deal with (and if it's related to Able at all). Can you find your log files and see what they say?
          Able Ability System - A high performance, robust ability system for UE4. Now Available!

Comment

I could send you a PM with the log if that's fine?

Comment

I could send you a PM with the log if that's fine?
              Sure thing.

EDIT: Aumaan's crash is in the Animation Transition system and appears to be unrelated to Able.
              Last edited by ExtraLifeMatt; 05-31-2017, 04:10 PM.

Comment

It's all good now.

ExtraLifeMatt helped me identify that the crash was related to my animation blueprint, a bug in UE4 allowed it to get corrupted when editing the transition rules xD.
                I'm going send them a bug report because apparently there's some weird stuff you can do in the Animgraph in 4.16 that shouldn't be allowed with causes crashes next time you try to open.

So it had nothing to do with Able xD. But good thing we found that out.

Comment

Latest Video:

Working on getting both this and the Chain Lightning examples up for download (probably just going to put the links in the tutorial section of the documentation, I'm out of room on the store page). ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Hey [MENTION=172958]ExtraLifeMatt[/MENTION],

Thanks for the excellent support

Not sure if this is related to the issue [MENTION=741122]RodentGames[/MENTION] brought up,

I've cooked a build and I have a combo-system implemented.
                    The server sees branched abilities play correctly.
                    Clients see the first ability play, but all branched ability animations do not play.

I can provide a link to the cooked build if you'd like to test it.

-Cheers

Comment

Thanks for the video, it's given me some ideas that I can't wait to try out
                      Good note at the end about async, I'll keep that in mind!

Comment

Originally posted by Hitsugen View Post
                        Hey [MENTION=172958]ExtraLifeMatt[/MENTION],

Thanks for the excellent support

Not sure if this is related to the issue [MENTION=741122]RodentGames[/MENTION] brought up,

I've cooked a build and I have a combo-system implemented.
                        The server sees branched abilities play correctly.
                        Clients see the first ability play, but all branched ability animations do not play.

I can provide a link to the cooked build if you'd like to test it.

-Cheers
                        So the Abilities are playing but not the animations within the Abilities? What is the Realm set to on the Play Animation Task? Is it marked as Play on Server or just as Client?

Comment

Originally posted by ExtraLifeMatt View Post
                          Latest Video:

Working on getting both this and the Chain Lightning examples up for download (probably just going to put the links in the tutorial section of the documentation, I'm out of room on the store page). ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
                          I'm glad you touched on the Async in this video I was thinking the whole time how do you avoid race conditions =)

Is it more efficient to do the work in the target blue print rather than bake the logic into the CalculateDamageForActor? The challenge with the video example would be pulling out details from the Instigator of the ability, would you want to store that on the Target as well or just refactor and put the logic of setting the burning inside the Ability?

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by RodentGames View Post
                            I'm glad you touched on the Async in this video I was thinking the whole time how do you avoid race conditions =)

Is it more efficient to do the work in the target blue print rather than bake the logic into the CalculateDamageForActor? The challenge with the video example would be pulling out details from the Instigator of the ability, would you want to store that on the Target as well or just refactor and put the logic of setting the burning inside the Ability?

Thanks!
                            Either is technically fine. You could set the "Damage Source" to your Instigator and you should be able to access it in the Event Any Damage event through the "Damage Causer" parameter. Unfortunately the "Instigated By" parameter in that event is a controller, otherwise you'd be able to get both Source + Instigator Actors without having to store them through parameters on the character.

Comment

Congrats on the answerhub karma points btw.

Anyway, I just wanted to comment about the task properties tab.
                              When in the "Branch" task properties, the conditions section is visually confusing because the "logic" element gets its own header that is displayed as a sibling to what ever condition you selected.
                              If you have multiple conditions (several input conditions, and a custom condition), all the corresponding "logic" are difficult to tell which condition they belong to, all the logic elements look orphaned in the panel making it hard to read.

The other thing that makes it difficult to see which condition owns the "logic" element, is the fact that after "logic" there is no breaking line between it and the next condition in the list....not sure if I'm making sense here so here's a photoshopped screenshot of what I'm requesting:

Click image for larger version

Name:	AbleTaskPropertiesPannel.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	259.2 KB
ID:	1128961

This way it's much easier to quickly glance and the task properties and immediately know which elements belong to whom.
                              Click image for larger version

Name:	AbleTaskPropertiesPannel02.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	134.0 KB
ID:	1128962

I know this is tied to how UE4 displays panels but I was wondering if it was possible for "logic" to be child of condition element without it having its own additional header? It's just another one of those "quality of life" things
                              Last edited by Aumaan Anubis; 06-01-2017, 05:36 PM.

Comment

[MENTION=33476]Aumaan Anubis[/MENTION]

Hmmm, good idea. I'll look into and see what I can do.

Comment

Working...
                                X