Able Ability System Info and Support Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    I'm following your chain lighting ability tutorial to create an ability of my own. Any idea why I can't get OnCollisionEvent to do anything? Won't even print a string.

I have all the basic settings for the collision correct, the custom filter is working properly and damage is being applied; so it is colliding with actors. Just can't modify the collision event.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by shain1234 View Post
    ok, sorry to bother you again ! im wondering how perhaps you might go about setting particle effects to have dynamic positioning and scaling. im scaling the size of my collisions ect based on stats but im unable to make the particle match. should i create a custom task for my needs ? or is there something i can do out of the box ?
    There currently isn't a way to dynamically change the scale of a particle. It's an easy add though so I'll see about tossing that in the next update. Dynamically changing the location however is a bit of a taller order. You may be better off making a custom task for that.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    ok, sorry to bother you again ! im wondering how perhaps you might go about setting particle effects to have dynamic positioning and scaling. im scaling the size of my collisions ect based on stats but im unable to make the particle match. should i create a custom task for my needs ? or is there something i can do out of the box ?

Leave a comment:

• replied

i have reinstalled visual studio and ue4, everything is placed in C:/
    I also installed 4.24.3, it compiles and packages perfectly in 4.24.3 its just 4.25.2 that doesnt want to compile.

i found the fix, i ahd to move able to my projects plugins folder, the one in the engine doesnt seem to work. heres a thread of people with the same issue specifically with 4.25.2
    https://answers.unrealengine.com/que...2901/view.html
    Interesting, I package on 4.25.2 locally with it as an engine plugin and haven't had issues (but then again I do a source build). Thanks for the heads up and glad you figured it out.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by ExtraLifeMatt View Post

That error makes no sense. Look at Able.build.cs in the latest for 4.24 and you'll see it defined properly.

Able.Build.cs

I know other users have reported issues with having their projects in the User directory (there can be permission issues with UE). You may want to make your project outside of your User directory (so just on your flat C drive or what not).
    i have reinstalled visual studio and ue4, everything is placed in C:/
    I also installed 4.24.3, it compiles and packages perfectly in 4.24.3 its just 4.25.2 that doesnt want to compile.

i found the fix, i ahd to move able to my projects plugins folder, the one in the engine doesnt seem to work. heres a thread of people with the same issue specifically with 4.25.2
    https://answers.unrealengine.com/que...2901/view.html
    Last edited by shain1234; 07-24-2020, 05:05 PM.

Leave a comment:

• replied

That error makes no sense. Look at Able.build.cs in the latest for 4.24 and you'll see it defined properly.

Able.Build.cs

I know other users have reported issues with having their projects in the User directory (there can be permission issues with UE). You may want to make your project outside of your User directory (so just on your flat C drive or what not).
    spoke to soon, still the same error. i uninstalled the plugin and reinstalled it and still nothing has changed, my projects are just in C:/
    im really not to sure what else it could be. might reinstall unreal in a different location or something :P

Leave a comment:

• replied

Able.Build.cs

i think permissions might just be the answer, i just tried a rebuild from source and VS told me it couldnt delete the old project files. so with that and your thinking. i think it maybe cracked, will report back. thanks for your time.

Leave a comment:

• replied

im using the most up to date version. I'm going to see if it's a problem with any other plugins I have enabled

ok completely blank project again, only able enabled in the plugins. and i still get the same error, heres some extra info https://i.imgur.com/rGlM2zO.png

Able.Build.cs
    //...
    public class Able : ModuleRules
    //...

Leave a comment:

• replied

What version of Able are you using? The patches are always compiled against the latest versions of the last 3 engines (so, 4.25.2, etc).
    im using the most up to date version. I'm going to see if it's a problem with any other plugins I have enabled

ok completely blank project again, only able enabled in the plugins. and i still get the same error, heres some extra info https://i.imgur.com/rGlM2zO.png
    Last edited by shain1234; 07-24-2020, 01:08 PM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    im unable to compile even a blank game with able enabled. i get this error and im not sure how to fix it, ive never touched C++ sooo most of the info i can find on it goes right over my head lol

heres the error :
    ERROR: Expecting to find a type to be declared in a module rules named 'Able' in UE4Rules, Version=0.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null. This type must derive from the 'ModuleRules' type defined by Unreal Build Tool.
    PackagingResults: Error: Expecting to find a type to be declared in a module rules named 'Able' in UE4Rules, Version=0.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null. This type must derive from the 'ModuleRules' type defined by Unreal Build Tool.

im using 4.24.2 btw, never tried to compile on 4.24.1 so not sure if its a new problem or not.
    What version of Able are you using? The patches are always compiled against the latest versions of the last 3 engines (so, 4.25.2, etc).

Leave a comment:

• replied
    im unable to compile even a blank game with able enabled. i get this error and im not sure how to fix it, ive never touched C++ sooo most of the info i can find on it goes right over my head lol

heres the error :
    ERROR: Expecting to find a type to be declared in a module rules named 'Able' in UE4Rules, Version=0.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null. This type must derive from the 'ModuleRules' type defined by Unreal Build Tool.
    PackagingResults: Error: Expecting to find a type to be declared in a module rules named 'Able' in UE4Rules, Version=0.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null. This type must derive from the 'ModuleRules' type defined by Unreal Build Tool.

im using 4.24.2 btw, never tried to compile on 4.24.1 so not sure if its a new problem or not.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Angel is their a good tutorial you know of about interface calls? I’ll look around when I get home. And thank you so much

Leave a comment:

• replied
    hello, im looking for a lil help with something. im currently spawning an actor that is mirroring my abilities. but if i spawn an actor through able it doesnt seem to have the ability to use root motion ?
    heres a gif of what i mean
    im just using the "spawn actor" task in able.

i figured it out, my clone didnt have an AI controller. derp

https://gfycat.com/OccasionalFailingDog

heres the result btw, im building a support system similar to path of exile, so here i have a "shadow clones" passive ability. mostly experimenting to see how best to spawn AI and handle their interactions with my abilities.
    Glad you figured it out. Super cool ability!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    hello, im looking for a lil help with something. im currently spawning an actor that is mirroring my abilities. but if i spawn an actor through able it doesnt seem to have the ability to use root motion ?
    heres a gif of what i mean
    im just using the "spawn actor" task in able.

i figured it out, my clone didnt have an AI controller. derp

https://gfycat.com/OccasionalFailingDog

heres the result btw, im building a support system similar to path of exile, so here i have a "shadow clones" passive ability. mostly experimenting to see how best to spawn AI and handle their interactions with my abilities.
    Last edited by shain1234; 07-23-2020, 07:52 AM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by mnorris54 View Post
    Oh and I think I get what you’re saying, how would I get targets in my first ability, then apply the stun active onto the other character. All I get is begin ability and end ability, how do I say
    when target is damaged -> get target apply stun ability
    exactly! On your projectile you can have an array of ability classes to apply on hit And ability could disable input on start, and after some time ends enabling inputs. you can also add tag stunned and remove tag stunned.. and based on this tag you can lower the armor value when being read.

Inside ability i only use interface message calls. to the owner, target etc.If you have single interface.. and that interface returns for example "damage reduction" you can implement this function on every object diferently.. for door it will return the doors hardness, on a character its armor value, and on other object it might return nothing.
    Don't use casts.. like ever. You can also have big-*** components managing stats and use same component in multiple actors. then in ability you take OWNEr and "get component by class" and input your component class.. then check valid.. if it is valid it means the target is an actor that have your component.. therefore it is a characters with proper stats and can be affected by abilities.

Remember the player controller exists only on owner and server. but if you're doing this for damage check its fine as server does it. However still implement an interface instead of casting. this way you can have same interface on player controller and ai controller. and use function "get controller (actor)" and instead of casting just call interface call regardless of being ai or player.

Yes player controller can have reactions and manage both dealing damage and receiving damage. although receiving damage should be handled inside the character. and dealing damage is for floating combat text etc in the controller.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X